main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The JC Lit Reviews Special: DARK NEST I: THE JOINER KING (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
  2. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Surely somebody's willing to post a review of The Joiner King? (Not that I'll read the review, just the rating; I'm trying to avoid spoilers.)

3. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    I just got my copy today (4 days early!! :)). Just went to my local bookstore and asked someone to get it from the back. Anyway, I've only read the prologue so far...

4. LukesDestiny

LukesDestiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm sort of excited about finally getting a book after the conclusion of the New Jedi Order. How many pages is it? Isn't is supposed to have "Ylesia" in it as well?

5. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    *pokes Excellence* ;)

[:D]

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I can't get it until Tuesday! :(

7. neo-dragon

Apr 15, 2004
    Yes, it does have "Ylesia". "The Joiner King" is 443 pages by itself, but including "Ylesia" There are 526 pages. You know, there should be a non-spoiler discussion thread for this book.

8. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Can somebody please post some reviews?

9. neo-dragon

Apr 15, 2004
    I'm only 55 pages into it. I'm afraid I have other obligations which are seriously detracting from my reading time. Sorry. I'm enjoying it so far, if that helps.

Spoiler

There's a really funny scene with Luke in a Cantina with some alien chicks trying rather forcefully to pick him up, right in front of Mara and Ben!

End Spoiler

That's all I'll say for now.

10. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Does it say what species they were?

11. neo-dragon

Apr 15, 2004
    Ishi Tib.

12. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    i don't mean to be speciesist here, and i'm not one to criticize others for odd sexual proclivities, but Ishi Tib and humans? eeeeeeeeeeew.....

13. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It's too late in the day to write a review, but I'll give it a rating: 7/10

14. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 1 rating: 7/1 = 7

15. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    I will give it 8 out of 10

The Good:

Troy Denning does good job with Ben and the Killiks. Also, Luke and Leia find out about Padme, though this does not seem to have any relevance to current events in the book. The story about what happened to Raynar Thul and the history of the Killiks was very interesting.

The Bad:

Akanah from BFC is in the book for a few pages. I never liked her in the BFC books and the this book would have been better without her. Leia is said to have been a junior Senator from the Old Republic which is another continuity blunder. Jaina seems to be developing a close relationship with Zekk. Unfortunately his character has never been developed to the degree that Jag was in the NJO and he is not as interesting since I do not know much about him.

16. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 2 ratings: 15/2 = 7.5

17. Rdog22

Rdog22 Jedi Master

Oct 13, 2001
    I finished the book on Sunday, and I loved it. The storyline was very reminescent of the original trilogy and serves as a good intro into the rest of the trilogy. I also really liked the way he incorporated a lot of details into the story, such as the creation of the Maw and Centerpoint (however factual this may turn out to be), the Fel continuity fix, and the reestablishment of the Jedi Temple on Ossus, as well as a rather in-depth detail of the training that goes into a "modern" Jedi. Another thing I liked is the whole concept of the Killik's hive mind and the danger it poses to Jedi and everyone else who stays around a bit too long.

The only thing that I didn't quite like are the somewhat different characterizations of Han, Leia, and the modern Jedi. I guess you can explain away the new hardness of Han and Leia due to the after effects of losing their child, half the galaxy, and the government they nearly died to create, but it was still a little weird to read about how they almost killed an aggressive yet innocent surveyer for jumping their claim. As for the modern Jedi thing, it was rather nice to see the Jedi once again kickin' butt, but disconcerting to read about them using their anger on opponents. The end of the book where Luke sorta rejects this philosophy gives me hope that they will revert to a more traditional view on the Force (no offense to Potentium fans).

I give it a 9/10.

18. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 3 ratings: 24/3 = 8

19. Jaina_SoIo

Jaina_SoIo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2005
    7.5 out of 10.

I just have to say that the Dark Nest trilogy has some HUGE shoes to fill after the bang that the NJO left with. As the first book in the trilogy, the Joiner King has to set up A LOT, and I think some of its action and plot-driven sequences suffer because of it (though there was plenty of action, no question there). Also, I've yet to decide whether Jaina and the other Jedi's assimilation into the Hive will turn out to be a great plot or a crummy excuse for "character development."

Some highlights--I love how Luke is portrayed, and the Potentium has the potential to really stir up the next generation of books (even moreso than the NJO). The score I gave JK may go up in retrospect of the other books, but for now I'm going to be conservative. Also, I really flew through the book, so there might have been a lot I missed that might have otherwise affected my score.

Even though I only gave it a 7.5, I really enjoyed the book a lot, and I have a lot of hope for the rest of the trilogy!

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 4 ratings: 31.5/4 = 7.86

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Today's the official release date. Anyone else read it yet?

22. sido-diuus

sido-diuus Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2003
    7.5 out of 10.
    I got mine early too. It wasn't quite up to Mr. Denning's usual standard. The jedi really were different, especially in regards to the torture scene. I was disappointed that Jaina is going for Zekk now, but I'll keep rooting for her and Jag to get back together. Overall, it was okay just a little dull.

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm reading this book now. My review should be up sometime this week.

24. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 5 ratings: 39/5 = 7.8

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    My review: 9

I was extremely impressed by the way all the characters were portrayed. I think that there were alot of subtle hints for future plot lines in the next two books, which I really enjoyed.

I really liked the portrayl of Cal Omas as well. The book makes you feel sorry for the man who has literally had the weight of the galaxy on his back. Dennind did a good job making the reader realize that Omas arguing with Luke is not out of disrespect but from a man who just is physically and mentally exhausted.

I also loved the descriptions of the Jedi Academy on Ossus. The different classes were fun, giving the school a quasi-Hogwarts fell. ;)

Luke was written as the wise Grand Master of the Jedi that we all love to see. Han and Leia were done with care as well.

Anyways, I guess the only thing that detracts me from giving it a higher score is that I found myself wanting to know more about the state of the Galactic Alliance. The few bits of info we got were interesting, and I hope to see more of them in the next two books.

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.