main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The JC Lit Reviews Special: DARK NEST I: THE JOINER KING (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I generally agree with Adm. Nick. I thought this was a solid if unspectacular SW novel. At first I thought it jumped about a bit too much, but it found its pace and was a good read, if with more typos than normal. I really liked Jacen here, liked Luke, Leia and Han. Liked the Indiana Jones reference. I don't know whether I'm more concerned that Jaina, Zekk, etc. will be stuck in their condition, or will find some cheap way out of it when the series ends. I liked Leia's decision. I like that this was not a huge galaxy-threatening conflict (at least, known galaxy) -- it was nice that the Galactic Alliance wasn't at stake. It was good to see the Chiss retcons as well. My favorite chapter was probably the one with Tenel Ka and Jacen, followed by Leia and Alema. I definitely enjoyed the book pretty much through and through, even if I'm tired of the same-old Jedi debates, and it has me stoked for Volume 2.

2. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 7 ratings: 56.3/7 = 8.04

3. Ricky_Skywalker

Ricky_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 30, 2003
    I'm from Poland and I've a question... is TJK available in bookstores now? Because there are no infos about it on main page. Tommorow I go to the bookstore where I can order books from the USA. But they bring only books that are really available, so I must know it ;)

4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Cool. I just got back from Poland. :) And yes, it is on shelves now.

5. Ricky_Skywalker

Jun 30, 2003
    Ooh, thanks ;) What did you do in my contry? And which city did you visit? :)

PS.Maybe it would be interesting to you... polish SW-books cost more than american...

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Proszę bardzo. My grandfather is Polish. I was just checking out my roots. I started in Warszawa, travelled to Lódz, where my grandfather lived when he was my age, down through Czestochowa, Katowica, Krakow, then over to Kazimierz. A few smaller towns. Didn't have time to get up to Gdansk like I wanted.

7. Ricky_Skywalker

Jun 30, 2003
    Interesujace ;) I live in Sosnowiec, the medium-size city that is locate close to Katowice. I hope that you like my country and will back to see Gdansk :)

8. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Ahhh.. the day I delurk into the murky realm of the lit boards.

Rating: ~8.2

Thoughts:

This is my first SW novel I've completed post Thrawn Duology, so there were some minor issues remebering who everone was and what thier MO was (I had a passing knowledge of what happened in NJO but didnt complete any of the books). However after the first couple pages I got sucked back into the EU. So I would firstly like to say the book is a decent place to jump off into EU so long as you have a passing knowledge of what has gone on before (or cheat sheets [face_devil]). The story was good and solid but nothing amazing. I'll definately read the following two books in the Trilogy (as ive already preordered on Amazon).

Remember be nice to the Lurker :p

9. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    What was the Indiana Jones reference?

10. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Warszawa :D My city :D

I'm getting the book tomorrow :D Yes!!!

11. Ricky_Skywalker

Jun 30, 2003
    Ooh, Chimpo :D Hello there! :D

My book will be in my hands probably at the end of August :(

12. Chimpo_the_Sith

Mar 15, 2003
    A gdzie zamawiasz?

BTW hello ;)

13. Ricky_Skywalker

Jun 30, 2003
    W Katowicach w Omnibusie. Calkiem niezle ceny, tylko trzeba czekaæ 4-6 tygodni... :(

14. Chimpo_the_Sith

Mar 15, 2003
    Czyli cos takiego jak u nas w American Bookstore.

Lepiej skonczmy z tym polskim albo skonczymy z banami ;) :p

15. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005

Han said in the book (cant remeber the page) something to the effect of Bugs, I hate Bugs.

its kind of funny because of Harrisons other charaters famous Snakes, I hate Snakes.

16. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 8 ratings: 64.5/8 = 8.06

17. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    LOL, that is actualy quite nice indeed.

18. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    My score is an 7.5

The good:

The Han and Leia banter was fabulous. These two are a match made in heaven and to keep it going on for so long makes me wish I had someone like that.

Luke and Mara and Ben: good all around for them

Saba: Loved everything about her, including being Leia's choice as a Master

and basic storyline. It's different, and I like different.

The bad:

I didn't think the timing of the Padme thing was right. I would have put it in the beginning of the book, keeping Luke and Leia too preoccupied to notice all the Jedi Knights disappearing.

The whole hive thing. Not really that the Knights became part of the hive but that Jaina and Zekk were so attuned with each other they became like a he-she, siamese twins but not. And that whole throat clicking, touchy feely thing. Ewwwwww!!

Jag seemed cold and unless something devestating happened during his time in the Known Regions that 5 years, I can't see him returning to the old him. Plus he only gets cameo's? What was that?

And the Jedi Council. I could have sworn Kenth Hamner was for one thing during one discussion and then when they went to something similar chose the opposite.

Finally, what the heck did they do to Kyp? Did he get amnesia and forget everything that happened during NJO? He changed and now he changed back?

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 9 ratings: 72/9 = 8

20. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Grr. The site refuses to post my review (which, admittedly, is a bit on the big size at nearly 5 KB). :_|

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Split it in twain.

22. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    My rating 7.5 out of 10.

I felt this book was good. Not a great novel, but a solid one. It had some strong points, as well as a few weak ones.

Some of the things I liked about The Joiner King:

- The character portrayals, especially of Luke, Mara, Jacen and Leia.

- The new view of the Force by the Jedi, and how it effects them. I especially like how even though Luke seems to follow this new view, he still has reservations about it.

- The Padme' storyline. I am looking forward to when Luke and Leia finally get all the knowledge about their mother.

- Leia finally becoming a true Jedi, and taking Saba as her master.

Some things I did not like about The Joiner King:

- Jaina and Zekk, rubbing forearms and acting like "siamese twins". I dont mind them becoming Joiners, but I am afraid of how they will solve this. I think either they will just suddenly get over it, or they will solve it in the same they did Tahiri and Jaina and Zekk will become part Jedi part Joiner.

- I also did not like the way certain Jedi were arguing that the Jedi were responsible to the GFFA. I feel that is the same problem the prequel Jedi faced, as they felt they were responsible to the Old Republic. I feel the Jedi are responsible to the Force and the people, not the government.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, and I am looking forward to the Unseen Queen

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 10 ratings: 79.5/10 = 7.95

24. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    I give it an 8.8.

25. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999