The JC Lit Reviews Special: DARTH BANE: DYNASTY OF EVIL (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Star Wars: Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil: Legend of the Subtitle: A Novel of the Colon Republic has finally come out.

Some rules: rate Dynasty of Evil on a scale of 1 to 10, supplementing your rating with a review, if you want to (It's not necessary but is highly encouraged). However, please do not rate or review the book until after you've read the whole thing. Thanks. :)

Go for it.;)

Some previous review threads:

Republic Commando: Hard Contact, by Karen Traviss
    Shatterpoint, by Matthew Stover
    The Cestus Deception, by Steven Barnes
    Medstar I: Battle Surgeons, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Medstar II: Jedi Healer, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Jedi Trial, by David Sherman and Dan Cragg
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, by Sean Stewart
    Labyrinth of Evil, by James Luceno
    Revenge of the Sith, by Matthew Stover
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno
    Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine, by Veronica Whitney-Robinson
    Tatooine Ghost, by Troy Denning
    Survivor's Quest, by Timothy Zahn
    Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream, by Aaron Allston
    Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand, by Aaron Allston
    Traitor, by Matthew Stover
    Destiny's Way, by Walter Jon Williams
    Force Heretic I: Remnant, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Force Heretic II: Refugee, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Force Heretic III: Reunion, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    The Final Prophecy, by Greg Keyes
    The Unifying Force, by James Luceno
    Dark Nest I: The Joiner King, by Troy Denning
    Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen, by Troy Denning
    Dark Nest III: The Swarm War, by Troy Denning
    Outbound Flight, by Timothy Zahn
    Republic Commando: Triple Zero, by Karen Traviss
    Legacy of the Force: Betrayal, by Aaron Allston
    Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines, by Karen Traviss
    Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, by Drew K
  2. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    I feel pretty much the same way about this one as I have the previous two.

TF.N Staff review.

1.5/10
  3. DARTHDIMI Jedi Padawan

Is it me or do the mods seem to not even like Star Wars novels very much?

(Awaits a reprimand or ban.) I-)
  4. DarthRevan211 Jedi Master

star 1
    I loved the first two Bane novels and, to me, this is the best one yet! I don't know, maybe it was just not spoiling the ending for myself, but it took me by such suprise and was just really mind-blowing. I picked this one up first day at 5 and was done by 12. What I like alot about Karpyshyn is that at every turn there's something interesting going on. I never felt like the novel was dragging along and never found myself skimming sections to get to the next good part, such is the case with some other SW novels I've read.

I feel like I should justify my score a bit more, but I'll just say that this is probably my 3rd favorite SW book ever.

9.5/10
  5. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Average score: 11/2 = 5.50
  6. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    That's an intriguing start. [face_laugh] My review should be up soon-ish. :cool:
  7. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just as fantastic as the other two installments. An easy 10/10.
  8. Darthbanetheimmortal Jedi Master

star 1
    Some of the best writing i've seen from Drew, DoE was certainly an interesting and fun read, its a nice change from the typical jedi books. 10/10
  9. melkor834 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    An enjoyable and fun read that grips you attention. Bane is an uber sith... But let's face it thats why he is cool. While not as good as PoD, which was not nearly as good as JvS, DoE manages to far out shine the lackluster RoT. Yeah, sure it is cheesy. (Some of the force powers are absurdly EU) but it was still an intresting read. However, like RoT its plot left much to be desired. For the shear fact it was an enjoyable thrill ride with one of the most powerful Sith in SW EU I give it an 8/10.
  10. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Average score: 39/5 = 7.80
  11. GrandMasterKatarn Force Ghost

star 4
    YodaKenobi's review summed it up for me.

1 out of 10
  12. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Average score: 40/6 = 6.67
  13. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Great Book! What a twist at the end. The expected merged with the unexpected to create a future I could not have foreseen. Perhaps a fourth installment is not out of the question? Will it be called Darth Bannah: How a Man Copes with a Woman's Body [face_laugh] ?

8/10
  14. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    As I've described in great detail in the Official DOE Discussion Thread; during my first read through, I really liked the pacing and in general, I enjoyed the novel. I probably would have scored it a little higher if I hadn't already gone back and broke it down for spoilerz. I'm a Zannah fan, so maybe that is clouding my judgement.:p 7.5 out of 10

15. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Average score: 55.5/8 = 6.94
  16. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Ok you two, you've just kicked off a new thread, see you there.
  17. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
    I'd like to see that thread, Ben. There has been so much noise about KT that the gulf between Bane fans and Bane detractors never seems to come up in detail (on the boards). Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor was the last novel that really appealed to all or nearly all lit fans. When will that happen again?:confused:

Ok, what did I think? I thought it was fun. Two dimensional fun. One and a half dimensions maybe. Meaningless, empty one and a half dimensional fun. It was bad guy vs taller meaner bad guy. What was the point? I have no idea. Good doesn't win over evil. Good doesn't even make an entrance. The lack of true and good characters was probably a weakness. It didn't exactly deepen the book. But who cares? It kept me reading. DK must've gotten something right. And I maintain he really does know how to construct these stories. I enjoyed Set Harth and the Huntress.

DK's prose are the least impressive out the Del Rey stable but he keeps the story driving. And he gave me an ending I didn't expect. I'd say something like Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter is miles above DoE. Similar themes. Sith madman with an ending that can't be "up" no matter how hard you hope. This ending at least had a twist. Now whether you care or not is a different matter.

As I said, solid story. Fairly weak prose.

18. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Average score: 63.3/9 = 7.03
  19. Darth_Furio Force Ghost

star 7
    I enjoyed the book. I have also been a fan of the whole series too. Also I'm glad DK cleared up the winner issue.

Darth Bane: Bane characterization was consistant in that he was still waiting for Zannah to show him that she was capable of becoming the Dark Lord. I 'll get to her later. His thirst for knowledge was IMO one of his best attributes. Respecting the past, helps shape the future. Bane's respect of the past has set the Sith up for Palpatine's regin. Bane's only flaw is that he underestimates Zannah and hence concentrates on trying and preserve himself for the future with the Essence Transfer. By Bane doing this, I think he opens himself up to being attacked in the present. The first duel doesn't go well for him and by then we see that he refocuses himself to self preservation in the present and not the future. The second dual was one of the most enjoyable duels I've read since Luke and Darth Caedus in LotF. I think we clearly see that Bane realizes that he underestimated Zannah and the Essence Transfer was his last gasp attempt at living. Although something of him will stay with Zannah. Maybe his temper!

Darth Zannah: IMHO Zannah knew that bane was underestimating her. The last mission he sent her on was clearly undermining her and she knew it. You could sense that she was looking for that right moment to strike. Finding an apprentice was the last piece for her. During the duels I felt that she was in control except for a couple of instances, and her control of the Dark Side of the Force was pretty impressive in regards to what she did on Ambria. Bane really had no solution, and his last attempt with the Essecnce Transfer was feeble IMO because Zannah had Sith Sorcery down. The shaking hand was for dramatic effect. Darth Zannah has finally realized the potential Bane originally thought she had. I'm looking forward to her future exploits, assuming we get to see them.

Cognus/Harth/Huntress: These characters helped add a little more depth to the book. I mean we all knew the point going in, Bane vs Zannah. The Huntress could have been a lot more interesting considering her past relationships to the major characters. She doesn't do enough for me to give her the sympathy we should be giving her because of her father. Cognus' enthusiasim for power and the Dark Side is great. I can't wait to see more of her. DK made a great choice in Cognus because she just is a Sithly being. Being brave enough (or crazy enough) to take on Bane, then offering him his lightsabre and holocron to learn from him, was great. It actually feels like something that Bane would do. Harth was a ho-hum character that didn't do much for me. He stole the holocron, that's it.

Rating: The lack of a good guy is why I'm not giving this book a perfect score. I would have liked to see more Jedi involvement. That being said I guess it was up to us to pick a "good guy" between Bane and Zannah even though they were both bad. Good read, really enjoyable. 8/10

20. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Average score: 71.3/10 = 7.13
  21. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    8/10

Really liked Set Harth, the Huntress(AKA COGNUS), Darth Bane, what if ending.

Didn't care for Darth Bane's Raiders-esque power...it just seemed way too much like "Hey it would be cool if Bane would do this!!!"
  22. leesweinberg Jedi Knight

star 1
    I really enjoyed this one -- much more so than vol 2. I found the two main new characters (Set and Huntress) to be more compelling and interesting than Bane and Zannah and look forward to their development in the next volumes. Great confrontation between Bane and Zannah and a fun ending that actually surprised me a bit.

Even with some choppy prose, I'm going to give this one an 8.5/10
  23. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Average score: 87.8/12 = 7.32
  24. Darth_Furio Force Ghost

star 7
  25. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Mani,

It's the Morals of SW thread, going into ever more interesting territory as it continues.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.