main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: DEATH TROOPERS (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 19, 2009.

1. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    This book was an awesome standalone, I thought, one of those novels I wasn't really anticipating as much as others, but one I actually found myself engrossed in once I got into it. It starts off fairly slow, namely introducing characters and touching on Von Longo's mysterious death at the hands of a grumpy Imperial CO -- an event that seems to connect all of our main characters in some shape or form. I was pretty underwhelmed with the introduction, and therefore it took me a few days to really get into the story -- even when I was bored and had nothing to read.

Once the the Purge hooks up with the abandoned SD, however, things start to get interesting. Like a classic horror movie script, the team splits up to 'explore,' and each of them discovers a different piece of the puzzle. By the time they're done, they're already missing a few people and the virus has already been contracted.

I sort of expected that once everyone started dying, they'd all turn into zombies. From there the virus progresses, and we even get a couple of POV's from Chewie, which I thought was great - especially the first one where Dr. Cody injects him with the antidote but the virus has already entered his body through the air and he goes into a sort of psychosis. I mean, what are you supposed to do when a Wookiee starts turning into a bloodthirsty zombie? Of course, he can't really remain that way, since, well... he sort of has to survive. So does Han -- which was one of my main pet peeves with this novel (something I had already tried to warn myself about even before I'd gotten the book). I did manage to get over it, however, if only because I thought Trig Longo's story was artfully written. The kid had to watch his father's corpse resurrect into a zombie, and then turn around and run for his life when it tried to kill him. Same with his older brother. He literally gets chased around that SD from the minute they step aboard to the minute they manage to escape. Experiencing the whole zombie thing through the eyes of a young teenage kid wasn't something I thought I would enjoy, but it scared the bejeesus out of me and managed to entertain at the same time. Very well done on Schreiber's part.

I did have a few problems with the overall purpose of this virus (i.e. project blackwing and what it was supposed to acheive). The whole idea that it was all an experiment (when Cody finally gets to the working terminal and asks it what blackwing is, it said something like 'experiment in progress') by the Empire was pretty twisted. I liked that part. But I wish there was more to it than what we got. The Imperial hierarchy and Vader (whatever his true role in all of this was) should have been more involved, I thought, or at least mentioned near the end when the survivors finally escaped. The overarcing plot just didn't feel too sturdy for me -- I guess I just kept waiting for some big revelation involving a conspiracy designed by Vader or Palpatine to take over the galaxy or something -- something. I think there was room for a conspiracy plot, or a big reveal at the end that put everything into perspective and made you want to read the sequel.

I was actually expecting Trig and Cody to die, so I was surprised when both survived. I also expected Sartoris to survive to the end, as well, but I sort of liked his death scene, how he finally seemed to suck it up and tell the truth about the boy's father...which brings me to my last complaint -- they seemed to build up Von's death like it was a huge deal, and since it seemed to involve nearly all of our main characters, I at least expected the circumstances of his murder to be revealed. But I don't think we ever found out what exactly happened and why/how he was killed, did we? I guess it was all irrelevant by the end anyway, but still...

Overall, I give DEATHROOPERS a 6.5/10; it was a great horror read and once it got going, I couldn't put it down.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 97.3/16 = 6.08

3. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I seemed to tear through this book like so much flesh. It wasn't bad. Well executed but too short of course. I actually liked the inclusion of Han and Chewie. It felt at least a little Star Warsy. It got repetitive. Lots of screaming, retching and crying. I think I'll give it a higher rating because I didn't pay for it so I don't feel cheated by the short page count.

4. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 104.1/17 = 6.12

5. Silky

Silky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    The Good: the book picks up pace and interest in the second half of the book.

The bad: The book just has no charm, flair or elan or even interesting characters. The storyline is woeful it is a really bad straight to DVD style zombie movie novelised and with a star wars name on it.
    I took over a week to read it which is a first in star wars literature it infact for me read worse than the New Rebellion and planet of twilight.

3/10 - spend your money else where unless like me your a completionist

6. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    Wow...I'm a complete 180 from this POV. I finished the book in one day.....I wanted more!!

7. BS-007

BS-007 Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    Terrible book.

1/10

8. IllogicalRogue2

IllogicalRogue2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2003
    I've read some Zombie stories before so the ending was AWESOME- one ones lives in the Zombie Novels.

The details were gruesome. I did end wanting more. Like Han and Chewie getting the Falcon back, or what happened to the Purge and the Vector- and why wasn't the ships name in the story?

Overall I'd say 6 out of ten. I don't enjoy stand alones that often, but this was good enough that I was happy with it.

9. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 114.1/20 = 5.71

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Zombies and Star Wars clearly do not mix.

1/10

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 115.1/21 = 5.48

12. BROWNHORNET

BROWNHORNET Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2007
    I really liked this book. I didn't think a horror story set in the Star Wars universe would work, but Deathtroopers did for me. I liked the characters, I thought they were well written for the most part. The book was fast paced, with some truly disgusting scenes in there.

To be honest, it was a little short. I got it from the library. I know I wouldn't have bought it, especially with the page count. Though I generally don't buy SW hardcovers, or many hardcovers in general. In any event, I thought it was a good story. Wouldn't mind seeing another outbreak in the future.

13. KnightDawg

Nov 26, 2007
    From what I've noticed, it seems that if you like variety and like things mixed up from time-to-time, you will like this book. If you're a traditionalist and like things always the same and they shouldn't change, you won't like this book.

14. GoA

GoA Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2007
    Just finished reading this last night. As a book, it was decent enough. As a Star Wars book, it didn't seem to *click* for me.

It started off well enough, and I was actually enjoying it until they revealed the two "rogues" as Han and Chewie. That's about the time when the book went downhill for me. I don't know, I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that, at the very least, I knew two of the characters would survive. That kind of takes a lot of the tension away from the constant zombie chases, knowing that in the end they'll be fine.

I didn't think there was enough character development for the various characters. I also don't think there was much character interaction, but maybe I had a preconceived notion about how the individual characters would interact with one another, and that just didn't pan out. A lot of time it seemed like each individual was on his/her own, thus no real time to bond with the other characters.

I don't know, just not my thing, I guess.

Score: 4 out of 10 - (5 points for the decent zombie story, but -1 for using Han/Chewie when the story's tension could have been better using characters that had a chance of dying)

15. KnightDawg

Nov 26, 2007
    Valid argument, but that can be said for almost any story containing the "Big 3" and even R2D2. Everytime R2 is on a spacecraft and/or X-Wing, we know nothing major will happen to the spaceship because R2 shows up in Legacy with Cade Skywalker.

I loved that Han and Chewie showed up because it made sense for them, of all beings, to be on the Imperial prison barge Purge. Now had the Millennium Falcon somehow magically showed up on the Imperial I-class Star Destroyer Vector, I would've thrown the book into the garbage can. LOL

16. KnightDawg

Nov 26, 2007
    You couldn't be more wrong though. SW and zombies do and have mixed for some time now. Here's a list of canon zombies appearances in the SW Universe.

Outbound Flight (Mentioned only)
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars ? "Legacy of Terror"
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars ? "Brain Invaders"
    "No Way Out" - Clone Wars Adventures: Volume 9
    "The Eye" - Living Force
    Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight (Mentioned only)
    Death Troopers
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Star Wars Journal: Hero for Hire (Mentioned only)
    Galaxy of Fear: City of the Dead
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
    Assault at Selonia (Mentioned only)

Pretty amazing how often zombies have been used in the SW EU, yet nobody complained until Death Troopers came out. That says a lot.

17. Dougie_Five

Dougie_Five Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2003
    I quite liked it until all the zombie stuff began. However, I hated all the zombie stuff. I just could not bring myself to care about any of the protagonists or the mystery of why people were turning into zombies in the first place (which was never a mystery). Also the page count further made a mockery of the pricely sum required to possess this piece of literature.
    2/10

18. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Part of me is actually surprised that this is among the bottom 5 rated novels in the history of Lit. Part of me is not surprised. Either way, it's just not as bad as the average would suggest.

I'm wondering if DT is rating lower among those who actually purchased the book. The low page count has to be bringing the rating down.

19. KnightDawg

Nov 26, 2007
    Even though this is the 12th SW storyline to use or mention zombies, for some reason those that know no better jumped all over this one to complain. I'm willing to bet it has do to with one or more of the following 4 reasons:

1) They never even read the book
    2) Had no idea how often zombies are actually used in Star Wars (12th time)
    3) Didn't like the page count
    4) Are ultra conservative and don't like anything "different" in their routine lives

I'm looking forward to the prequel being released in October 2010.

20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    THIS IS NOT THE DISCUSSION THREAD.

21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 121.1/23 = 5.27

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    You're rather presumptuous aren't you?

1) I have read the book
    2) I am quite aware of the prevalence of zombies in Star Wars
    3) If the book has high quality then I don't care about the page count. I also borrowed it from my friend so I didn't particularly care how long it was
    4) I'm left of center in my political orientation and consider myself to be a rather spontaneous person.

I don't fit any one of your earlier criteria and yet I don't like the book. The problem for me was that Schreiber did not spend much time developing his situations. He didn't do that much for his characters either but I'm fine with that since horror fiction and movies are not particularly renowned for character development (except for maybe Jonathan Harker and Mina Murray in Dracula). I wasn't terribly invested in the characters but that was okay.

The problem was that I wanted to see more. I wanted to see more of Armitage on his lonesome exploring the Vector. I would have especially liked to see the progression of the infection on the Purge instead of what we got which was Sartoris and Dr. Cody in one scene where it was originally brought on board and then a quick switch to the Longos in their cell when nearly everyone was dead. It also seemed that Schreiber wanted to get the Purge scenes over as quickly as possible. We were treated to some quick scenes of the group escaping into the Vector............and that was it. It seemed rather choppy and glossed over. It was even worse on the Vector as everything felt rushed and then "oh here are some random Imperial survivors with no buildup".

Now that it was I didn't like the book. I also really did not like the inclusion of Han and Chewie. It smacked of fan service and made the novel much less interesting as we knew they were untouchable.

So are you going to keep on painting all critics of this book with the same brush? Or are you going to acknowledge that there are legitimate reasons why people don't like it?

My rating is 4.4 out of 10

23. KnightDawg

Nov 26, 2007
    See your next post.

24. KnightDawg

Nov 26, 2007
    You are correct. No more. :oops:

25. Havac

Sep 29, 2005