main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: DESTINY'S WAY (DW spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Caine, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

The drill:

Rate Destiny's Way on a scale from 1 to 10.

If possible, note your ratings of previous NJO books (also on a 1 to 10 scale) for comparison. If you'd like, supplement your rating of DW with a few words (or a lot, as you see fit).

Previous Review threads in case you missed them (feel free to vote if you haven't already):

The JC Lit Reviews Special: Rebel Dream (RD Spoilers imminent)

The JC Lit Reviews Special: REBEL STAND (Spoilers for RS *only*)

The JC Lit Reviews Special: TRAITOR (Spoilers)

The JC Lit Reviews Special: YLESIA (Ylesia and DW Spoilers)

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I was not overwhelmed by the book -- but perhaps that was because it was the audio CD version. I will withhold rating until after reading the print version.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Bringing her up in case anyone has read it.

4. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    I thought you'd already read it Mastadge, can't you review? :confused:

5. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I probably won't have it read until *next* weekend.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Read it. Pop by the official thread, SOS Skywalker, NJOCC, Cminor's H/L thread to read my review.

I say it gets 9.5, couple of imperfections equals half-point deduction.

About the only other NJO that gets that rating would be BP, but that'd probably get only 9!

Jedi Ben

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    As I've done on nearly every single other occasion (granted I've been slipping the past year or so)...

...I TOLD YOU SO ( :p )

8. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
  9. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    AGH! I'm such a moron!

I go the Destiny's Way thread, thinking, "I'll just check it out, I won't read any really big spoilers or anything..."

Right?

Wrong!

I got spoiled big time! Arggh, moron, moron, moron. *hits forehead*

10. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    _Tenel_Ka_, as my father always says, "If it hurts you when you do it, don't do it."

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I'm so jealous of all you people who manage to get an early copy of Destiny's Way (and every other book). I wish I could. But then ... wait. Who doesn't wish that? 8-}

Aunecah

12. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    If everyone got a copy early, then it wouldn't be early anymore! 8-}

13. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    with 50 pages to go, I give it a 9.45 out of 10. :D

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Right now Genghis I'm doing at you what Palp is doing in A Death Star Is Born when he says he can build two death stars! ;)

JB

15. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    I'll rate it a 9.5 - it kept me thoroughly entertained.

16. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    36.45/4=9.11/10

So far.

17. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Jedi Ben...
    :D

From what I've seen, this things getting rave reviews everywhere I've looked - NJO critics, people who weren't really WJW fans. It's basically standing up there with SbS as one of the most well-received SW books I've ever seen. Perhaps even surpassing it, which would be a tough feat.

I need to find the freakin' thing. It's driving me crazy!

So...
    This brings up a few things. It does in fact look to exonorate Shelly Shapiro from all of the misplaced bashing she took at the hands of a few whackos. Her line from the very beginning has been, "I wish I could tell you about all of these resolutions we have coming to the various conflicts, but I can't due to contractual obligations." Basically, the LFL "chip" is about the only thing to blame when it comes to the vast majority of negative opinion.

There's a lot to be said for judging the series as a series, instead of judging the entire series based on 1/4 or 1/3 of it.

It seems that everything has been falling into place - and has been since about the Edge of Victory duology.

18. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I hate to do somthing negitive in this thread, but I really think the name should be changed, you people never review the book, you just post a grade [face_plain]

19. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    chissdude: Many people do post a review when they rate it.

I know when I finish the book, I'll be posting a full review in this thread along with a rating, like I did for the Traitor review thread.

20. Twin_Suns_7

Twin_Suns_7 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2002
    I just read a terrible review of DW at njoinfinities.com. The guy hated it. No one here has hated it have they?

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That may be so G12 but I find many of the supposed conflicts in NJO to be forced and false. I like DW so much because it resolves things that are to my view of SW and the characters aberrations that should not have occurred. Whats more the whole YV conflict is not dependent on these other, forced schisms: I would have the YV face a united NR/Jedi and still be winning, in place of what we've had.

Other stuff I wish NJO had done is take advantage of the 19 books it has/had to do something other than the two halves of:

Good guys get pushed to brink
    Good guys push bad guys back

This is fine in a trilogy, but NJO had so much more space and room to play with. Good as DW is, it like its illustrious predecessor BP, is having to fix that which should not have to be fixed: the NR & the anti-Jedi crowd. In my alternate NJO the Vong can still be an utter and totally perplexing menace, so it isn't as if they are being weakened. Ah well, what might have been.

JB

22. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    I just posted a rating, seeing as I will be writing a review for TFN in the next few days. It seemed redudant to write two.

23. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

As the series nears its end, this is to be expected. Fans are getting what they want: problems resolved, heroes winning and some of the reviews will reflect this.

As I've done previously, I'm not counting any "I have X pages left and I give it a Y" responses.

So officially...

Couting 3 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of DW = 27/3 = 9/10

24. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

[ up ]

25. Amused knight

Amused knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2000
    I give it a 9.5. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It definitely puts the NJO on the upswing.