main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by lightsaber_wielder, Apr 2, 2005.

1. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    It is great so far. I just got it yesterday, and it is great. I am on page 230, and so far it is the best of the novelizations.

2. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Having read both the novelisation and the screenplay, I think the key to accepting Vader's somewhat "abrupt" fall is to really use the novelisation as a companion to the film. When you go to see Revenge of the Sith, think about what you read; think about how Stover delved into the character's thoughts and emotions, and keep these in mind whilst watching their movements on-screen. Film can only go so deep with character exploration, so reading the novel serves as a perfect counterpart.

At first I was a bit unsettled by Anakin's quick fall, but you really do have to weigh a lot of factors. It has been happening over at least a decade, after all, and his final decision is just the culmination of all his fear, doubt and anger. People have been whining about the fact that he seems to forget his Jedi training very quickly, but I have a point to make in return: who can prove that he feels no remorse when turning on the Order? Nobody can prove that he takes pleasure in what he does, but all of us know that he is very self-centered, and the goal awaiting him at the end of his dark deeds is of far more concern to him, and thus far more important...

[face_mischief]

3. darthmace7

darthmace7 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 15, 2003
    It was awesome... I loved the characterization and the "this is what anakin skywalker feels" sections with all the characters. The one at the end about Anakin Skywalker after the fall to Vader was particularly poetic and proper.

10/10... and well deserved.

4. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    10/10.

This book is a masterpiece. Before this book, I found Anakin's character shallow and angsty and not very worthy of sympathy. But his character is given new life here, and for that I'm grateful.

Also one of the few books that actually make Obi-Wan and Anakin out to be friends instead of just frustrated co-workers.

And a host of other great things that I probably shouldn't say so that I don't spoil it.

5. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005

My wife and I finished the novel within a day of each other. I tell ya, it was hard to give it to her for any amount of time... I wanted to race through it!

I was about to give it 9.8. I'm sure there's something wrong with it, but I don't know what it could be. The discussions of everything are just the right length. I LOVE the info included, "This is how it feels to be...". Damn! Let's get inside their heads! It's a very psychological novel. I'm so glad I read this book!

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 35 ratings: 332.2/35 = 9.49

7. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002

My lone complaint is that it seemed a bit top heavy, that is, long and detailed until the climax in the Chancellor's office, then it suddenly picked up a lot of speed. A fantastic read though, I loved it.

8. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    I'm glad to see that Revenge of the Sith is getting a strong rating. I'd really like to read it again before I see the film, because finishing a book in one day always makes me feel rushed, but I've lent it to a friend at the moment and I'm not sure how long it will be until he finishes it. I think I'll post my full review when I've read it again and after spoilers are allowed.

9. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    For those saying his fall was abrupt, you can't just look at this lone chapter. You have to look at all three, see how every last peice fits in, and it makes the most sense in the world.
    Anyway. Loved it. Teared up a few times heh...
    Best SW book bar none.
    One of my single favorite books period. 10/10

10. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I've been a big fan of Mr. Stover's since Traitor. I don't think ROTS was as good as Traitor, but it was still an amazing piece of work. He did something I never thought could happen, and that was make me understand Anakin. And at the same time he kept Obi-Wan true to his nature but still as a badass Jedi.

9.9/10

Only cause I gave Traitor a 10 and I like it more. Personal preference there though.

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    What's the highest rated JC reviewed novel?

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    This one (so far), with TUF and Hard Contact being the only other novels with an average above nine.

13. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Really? I didn't think TUF was that good.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Oops, LoE is also above a nine.

15. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 38 ratings: 361.9/38 = 9.52

16. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
  17. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I have confidence that Stover did a great job.
    However I can't trust these JC ratings because of the high rating that LoE has.
    If that sort of rubbish can get a good rating, than anything could.

-Seldon

18. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I give it an 8.5. I loved the novel, but it's got some flaws. Most or all of those flaws are the result of the subject matter from which it was adapted and probably not Stover's fault, but I've got to rate the novel on its own terms and not based on what I think I know of what bits of it came from where or whom.

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 40 ratings: 380.4/40 = 9.51

20. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    10/10

That is all. Thank you Mr. Stover, and thank you George.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    i'd give it 10/10. Great great novel. Very gutwrenching. Changed my opinions on characters, redeeming some and dropping others into the nether regions.

A very good structure and a great stover novel.

22. LandoSystem1138

LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2005
    10. I was blown away since the TPM novelization was like the junior novelization with more scenes added in, and AOTC was only slightly better.

The only real complaint I had was it made Mace Windu kind of one-dimensional again, what with his attachment to the Republic. But then again, it's Mace Windu. o_O

Very nice on how it doesn't spill everything in the movie and the portions that are told, it's described surreal so you're still gotta see the movie.

Bail Organa fan now!

23. Talz

Talz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    7/10

I appreciated the slow, detailed pace of the first two-thirds of the book and wish that it could have continued after Anakin became Vader.

24. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 44 ratings: 417.4/44 = 9.49

25. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I have confidence that Stover did a great job.
    However I can't trust these JC ratings because of the high rating that LoE has.
    If that sort of rubbish can get a good rating, than anything could.

Dude, get off your high horse.