main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by lightsaber_wielder, Apr 2, 2005.

1. irishjedi49

irishjedi49 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 23, 2002
    I give the book 8.5/10, with really only TTT being better SW books to my mind, EU or novelizations. There were a few lines I would have added or deleted from the novel where I thought the film worked better. There were also one or two scenes from Threepio's POV where I would much rather have seen the speaking characters (like Obi-Wan and Padme) directly instead of through his eyes.

On the whole, though, while it took me a little while to get into Stover's style (I never read Traitor; and the "this is how it feels to be" moments were a little odd at first), I soon realized that I was reading more of an EU book instead of a novel, and I started to really enjoy it. Novelizations are usually so poorly done as mere transcriptions of what's on screen, when the entire reason that you're reading is to get extra insight into the characters. Stover apparently understood that -- he provided the extra insights in a really compelling way. He had me at the 'Obi-Wan is the consummate Jedi' passage :) From the confusion swirling in Anakin, to Dooku's shift from arrogance to fear, to the stunned reactions of Mace when he learns Palpatine is Sidious (with nary a change in expression, of course), to the better explanation of why Yoda conceded defeat to Sidious, to the contrast between the Yoda/Sidious (good vs. evil, Jedi vs. Sith, light vs. dark) and Anakin/Obi-Wan (just brothers) duels, this novel was a great read. Thank you, Mr. Stover! :cool:

2. Zanretsu

Zanretsu Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    10/10.

Sped through it in a day. It was wonderful.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Review forthcoming, but in the meantime...

10/10 - shiiiiny!

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 58 ratings: 552.4/58 = 9.52

5. Riin

Riin Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2000
    Ah, first post in about three years...

I have just finished ROTS, and I must say, it absolutely BLEW my expectations! I haven't read a whole lot of SW books before (Jedi Academy series, X-wing trilogy 1, SotE, some NJO and a few others), and based on those I just throught it would be the usual mediocre SW-book. But this book really adds so much depth to all the characters, not to mention the movie. And Anakin seems so much more 3D now. I absolutely must see the movie again now, after reading the book.
    A bit topheavy, but then, I don't think anything should have been cut - it just should have been much thicker :D.

10/10

Oh, and to get the ultimate experience, listen to the ROTS soundtrack while reading. I had track1: SW-Main/Revenge of the Sith looping while reading, and it really adds a lot!

6. Senator_Lorena

Senator_Lorena Jedi Master star 2

Oct 21, 2003
    Yes, the ROTS novel was awesome. I've never had a SW book pull at me at so many emotional levels. Sure, when Chewie died in Vector Prime (I had not seen any spoilers) I cried. When Anakin Solo died in another NJO novel (sorry, I lost track of all of the titles), I was very sad.

But ROTS made me feel for Anakin Skywalker, Padme Amidala and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The novel and the book are certainly companions. All SW fans should take in both.

7. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Agreed. I saw the movie again after finishing the book and it was even better the second time around as a result.

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 59 ratings: 562.4/59 = 9.53

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I saw a copy of ROTS for $26 at a certain store, normally priced at $40-55. So curiosity had me picking it, flicked through the ending fight. The writing looked somewhat abbreviated and rushed, typical for a novelisation, but in all fairness you can imagine how hard it'd have been to complete that manuscript. And fair enough, the ending pages of books are usually rushed. Except for Enemy Lines, of course, which rudely and abruptly stopped.

But it was the pages that minted a Kreian frown---so flimsy! For a hardcover, they're supposed to be thicker, stronger. That was mass market quality at best, it'll discolour in a few years for sure!

What that the case over at your end, were the pages soft? I was almost afraid to turn them. Or perhaps the book's print run was such, that they needed that format . . .

10. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Teriffic fun. 9.6/10.

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 60 ratings: 572/60 = 9.53

12. DeltaSquad29

DeltaSquad29 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Simply Wonderful.

10/10

13. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    I love it, Stover is the best EU author.

11/10.

14. Issolde

Issolde Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    I just finished it. Very good, overall. The whole 'This is Anakin Skywalker' thing was a little off-putting at first, but I got used to it. Also a few things seemed jarring, such as the Yoda-as-a-baby scene; I don't think I'll ever get used to that one. And I didn't like Vader's dialogue with the doomed Separatists leaders; I'm not sure why, yet. The first two-thirds of the book were, by far, better than the last third. It just felt somewhat rushed after Anakin turned, IMHO. All of this is not to say that I didn't like it. I did. The emotional level and character examination was very enjoyable and moving in most parts, and the depth and extra scenes that the book adds to the movie are a big plus.

I give it a 9.5.

Edited to add: I especially loved the scene in which Padme gave Obi-Wan the japor snippet and Obi-Wan, near or in tears (can't remember now), later tells Yoda and Bail that he doesn't even know what it is. Very moving. I was in tears myself reading it.

15. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 63 ratings: 601.5/63 = 9.55

16. VadorLover

VadorLover Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    I didn't really like the book. It didn't have any emph (spelling). It was nice and long but rumble jumble. And it's weird cuz i like starwars books, but on this one it just wasn't what I expected it to be. I guess because i saw the movie first but anywho thats just what i think. But don't get me wrong it had some good stuff in it.

17. leia1964

leia1964 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    10 This novel was great. I actually read it before I saw the movie and have re-read it since the movie. I actually found myself almost disappointed that there were things in the book that were not in the movie.

I recommend the novel to anyone who wants to truly experience the story to its fullest extent! :)

18. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 64 ratings: 611.5/64 = 9.55

19. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I give it 7. There are good parts in the novel, but especially the last parts of it are somewhat weak. Typical novelization problem, not the fault of the author, I think. Overall the dialogue is better than in the movie and Anakin´s fall is portrayed more convincingly, but some things, like the fight scenes, are weaker.

20. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    9.5/10. I loved this book, even when it deviated from the movie plotline. Dialogue, characterizations, plotline, fierfekking awesome. One of my favorite parts was when Needa was talking to Grievous. That really tied the two trilogies otgether.

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 66 ratings: 628/66 = 9.52

22. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    Amazing. Probably the best Star Wars book I have ever read.
    I loved the portrayal of Anakin, Dooku being betrayed, Mace's death (and he fell forever...) and the end, this is Anakin Skywalker, forever...

10/10. Bravo, Matthew Stover.

23. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Amazing read, but room for improvement.

9/10

24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I give it 10 out of 10.

25. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I give it 9/10 it's a real good read it's been awhile since i read it but i enjoyed it alot. Matt Stover did an excellent job.