main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: FATE OF THE JEDI: ABYSS (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Aug 22, 2009.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I just realized I never reviewed the book.

I've spoken about it at length in other topics and on IRC so I don't feel the need to explain my rating too much except to say I really loved Ben and Luke's adventure, liked Jag and Jaina, was neutral with Daala and the Mandos and did not like Han and Leia's portions. I was thinking low 7's at first. (Since I usually rank books higher than they should) but remembered how I liked Jacen a lot in the book and Vestara

7.75/10

2. Dash_Magnum

Dash_Magnum Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2008
    Welp, this took a long time to get through even though I picked up the book a while back, after seeing several positive reviews for it. While I don't share everyone else's optimism, there were a few portions that I enjoyed so I'll start out with those:

Things that worked well:

Luke and Ben: Like many people have already touched upon, the parts with Luke and son were really the strongest part of the book, and the most fun. There was a good sense of mystery, creepiness, and general suspense interwoven into those sections. these were the parts of the book that for the most part I looked forward to and enjoyed.

The Mind Drinkers: It's a crime that it took three books to actually get what we were promised in the solicits for this series (namely an actual exploration of some of the Force Cults out in the galaxy) but we got a really good one here, with this group of communal solipsists. Never in my life would I ever have thought I'd be using the term communal solipsists in anything other than a joke, but here I am. The Mind Drinkers were interesting (even if flawed) and I enjoyed the back and forth games between Luke and the Mind Drinkers.

Jag and Jaina: I'm glad to see Denning insert a little bit of tension into their relationship, even if it did seem forced at times. It made the relationship seem a lot more natural than it has in previous books. (I'd rather it was just dropped altogether at this point, but I'll take what I can get.)

Raynar Thul: I'm glad to see this character wasn't forgotten. Too often it seems that a triology or series comes to a close and the characters and plot points in it are ignored in later books (Vong I'm so looking at you right now). I was glad to see he wasn't just tossed into a secret warehouse, like the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark (Ok, he was tossed in a Jedi detention center, but you know what I mean).

Things that really didn't do anything for me:

The Sith: This is the second book with these dudes, and I still don't care much for them, though for different reasons than with Omen. In Omen they were dark side lightweights; Diet Sith if you will. While this time around, the Sith are a bit most sinister and dangerous, they came across as rather...impotent. Caffiene-Free Sith, if you will. Untold numbers die to sentient plant life, and still more die rather ignominously while trying to kill Luke and Ben.

These Sith come across as Red Shirts, or worse, like Bond-Villain henchmen. I contrast this with the One Sith from the Legacy comics, who in their very first appearance sack Ossus and kill a Skywalker. Now obviously that's a rather high standard, but the Lost Sith don't even come close. They're scrubs and mooks that we never really get a chance to dread and respect, and they kind of suffer for it.

Vestara: I'm not really sure why I'm supposed to care about this character, aside from the vague indication that she is "special". And by special, I can only guess that this is due to the fact that she is our editorially-selected window into the bumbling affairs of the Lost Sith. She has a special connection to Ship, but we aren't sure why. She is able to see through Abeloth's glamour...but we again aren't sure why. Hopefully this will be explained in later novels, and not just dropped like so many other loose ends.

Abeloth: In a sort of abstract sense, the Cthulhu mythos and Star Wars do have a few things in common: they're both neat ideas that were eventually put to much better practical use by some very talented people. Jokes aside; a Great Old One existing in Star Wars canon just seems...off. It's just the sort of thing that doesn't have a whole lot of precedence in Star Wars (nonsense about Celestials and whatnot aside) which is primarily pulp sci-fi. And while I assume much about Abeloth is being kept shrouded in mystery for a later time, what we are given for a first impression isn't terribly impressive or awe-inspiring.

My initial impression for this plot device (I can't really say characte

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 478.78/61 = 7.85

4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Really enjoyed this one, as I am enjoying the whole series--although I must say, and this may shock people, I liked Legacy of the Force better.

All three storylines are really engaging, and I like the way the Sith finally confronted Luke and Ben.

Coolest part had to be the Mind-walkers and the mysterious Force lake thing where they met dead people, including Jacen and Mara. Very Odyssey-like. Didn't one of the authors--was it Denning?--mention he intentionally patterned the tale after The Odyssey?

5. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 487.28/62 = 7.86

6. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
  7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Some stellar reviews you given for the three books in this series.

8. BROWNHORNET

BROWNHORNET Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2007
    7/10

Abyss was the best book in the series so far. Even though the other ones were slighter in page length, I read this one much faster. It seemed like more stuff, important stuff that will have an impact later on in the series and perhaps across the EU, happened in Abyss as opposed to the other two books.

-Han and Leia. I usually groan when at the obligatory Han and Leia passages. As much as I loved them from the movies, I think they are sometimes shoehorned into the novels, particularly the last two series. It seems like it would make more sense for them to just retire somewhere and quietly raise Allana. But in Abyss I thought the Solos were put to good use and actually given something to do that was central to the main plot instead of a seemingly unimportant/unrelated mission to Kessel (though it is always cool to see Lando again), or taking Allana to the zoo like in Omen.
    -Luke and Ben. I like their relationship and how its been handled in all three books. It's a pretty open relationship and I like how Luke is always encouraging Ben to do things and figure things out for himself. One thing that bothers me though is that Luke seems a bit too forgiving of Ben's questionable tactics (ie. how he treated the Tremaines) at times. However, Luke displayed a bit of brutality in how he dealt with the Sith as well.
    -Jaina and Jag. I liked their relationship here. It did feel a bit more natural than in the last two books.
    -Abeloth. A very different type of villian. Something monstrous. I'm looking forward to seeing where they are going with her, and I can't get an image of Alice Krige as the Borg Queen out of my mind when I read her passages. There's something creepy and sexy about Abeloth, just like the BQ to me. However, I also can't help but start to ask the question that Kirk did in Star Trek 5, "Why does God need a starship?" If Abeloth is so powerful, why does she need a starship to travel? Why is she even using the Sith to capture Luke? Why can't she do it herself?
    -Javis Tyrr. He's slimy but fair.
    -Lady Rhea and Vestara Khai. I enjoyed the development of their relationship. It helped me understand more the values of a Sith civilization and how that might work.
    -Mind Drinkers. A pretty creepy group of Force users. I liked this group more than the Aing-Ti and the Kel-Dor. I felt this group had something more consequential to actually teach Luke and Ben.
    -Anakin, Mara, and Jacen. I liked the Lake of Apparitions scenes. It provided some needed closure for Luke, Ben, and Mara, it allowed Anakin to pass the torch to Ben, and it brought back Jacen and added a new layer to his motivations, which finally starts getting at why he turned dark, the reason for the mission into the Unknown Regions in the first place.
    -Mandalorians. I like their use here. They were tough, but not super badass like in LOTF. I like that FOTJ is continuing to pick up the thread of a coming confrontation between the Mandos and the Jedi that began in LOTF, even though Traviss isn?t a part of this story. I don?t mind seeing a new Mando/Jedi conflict. I think they would be a logical, non-dark side choice for an antagonist, perhaps in the next round of books. I think Abeloth and the Lost Tribe can handle things well enough for this series.
    -The Unit. I?m starting to like some of the new Jedi, like Barv, and Yaqueel. Here?s hoping they develop the Horns and the Unit after FOTJ. Since NJO the Jedi have been missing a new, fresh generation and I think these guys could be the beginnings of that. I just hope they can build more relationships between them and Ben.
    -Kenth Hamner. In previous books, he?s been a cipher, a very colorless man. But in this novel, I liked how he is torn between his duty to the Order and trying to keep things cool with the Alliance. And I like how he is claiming the Grand Master title for himself, an indication that he?s getting a little comfortable being top dog. Can?t help it, but I see Andre Braugher when I was reading Hamner?s parts.
    -Moff Lercersen. I?m glad they are keeping the Moffs in mind.

9. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 501.78/64 = 7.84

10. Cindrollic

Cindrollic Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2007
    I had problems with it, but by far my favorite of the series thus far. By far the greatest single moment in this novel was during the, I'm sorry to say, boring ambush by Mandalorians. But I'm able to get past that by the great moment with Rynar. Very powerful. Words cut deeper then any lightsaber.

A solid 7.0/10.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 508.78/65 = 7.83

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This certainly felt like a Denning book, which is both a good thing and a bad thing, but more on that later. Once again I felt an interconnectedness with the other books in the series and I'm pretty sure now that this is a guarantee for the entire series. The characterisations were consistent and the so were the various plot lines.

One thing that was spot on here was the pacing and "screentime" of each plot. I really liked that we would see the Lost Tribe for a certain amount of time then Luke and Ben for that same amount of time after and same for the Coruscant plotline. My favorite "third" of the book was definitely the journey into the Maw and the encounter with the mystic Mind Walkers. While I would have preferred to see an established force sect this was a welcome change since these guys felt like they belonged on Jacen's sojourn just as much as the others did. I'm not sure I fully understand just where they all are when they are mind-walking, but it seems like a pretty unique place that doesn't feel out of place in Star Wars. I give Denning a lot of credit for making Luke a badass again. Even Ben got some good moments in the climactic fight scene. I do like that this series is slowly shedding some light on the ancient Celestials and the things they left behind. Whether Abeloth is a Celestial or some other ancient power remains to be seen I think, but if it turns out that she is in fact the major villain of the series rather than the Sith or Daala then perhaps this series will really stand out in the long run for its peculiar direction it took. Either that or we have another Waru on our hands. [face_thinking] I did like Vestara here and once again voice my hope that she sticks around for a while to come. I also liked how the Jedi who went crazy in this book did so in a different way than we've seen before. Also kudos for throwing in Jaden Korr even though Kemp is working with him right now. He didn't feel off or anything. Also I hope Raynar is actually used more from now on. His talk-down of Bazel was probably the best handling of these crazed Jedi so far in the series. Wynn Dorvan is also beginning to catch my attention as an interesting character.

While this was not nearly as bad as Invincible, this book was of a quality that I have seen Denning do more often than not since Star By Star, specifically regarding the characters. I mentioned that they were in character as far as the series goes. But there are some problems I personally have with the direction they are going in. I feel Han is not being used to his full potential, nor is Leia. He is increasingly portrayed as this grumpy old man who loves to fight the power and help only his friends and loved ones while leaving the rest of the galaxy to rot. Right now his only redeeming quality is that he is helping to raise Allana with Leia. Speaking of which, why is she not a master? I know for the most part it's just a title but after al she's done for the Jedi and the GA she kriffing deserves it. So does Jaina. I guess killing Sith doesn't go as far as it used to in the order. I like that she is playing an active role in helping the crazed Jedi while opposing Daala, and I like Jag's role in it all as well, but such a small issue as marriage should not take up so many pages. Anakin and Padmé were fine married even though they almost never saw each other, and Jag and Jaina certainly see each other a lot more than Grandpa and Grandma saw each other. They should just get married and get over with it. But I digress, as that is more about the series in general than Abyss.

So other than the directions some of the characters are going in being weak this was a very fun read. Of FOTJ far it's the closest to being able to be read as an individual book rather than part of a series. Therefore, I give it a 9.2 out of 10, best of the series so far.

13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 517.98/66 = 7.85