main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: FATE OF THE JEDI: BACKLASH (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Mar 8, 2010.

1. Bobbo02

Bobbo02 Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2010
    My thoughts huh? Well, out of all 4 FOTJ books so far, I have to say this one felt the most like Star Wars to me. I felt like the first 3 while heavy on plot were a bit light on action. I got to missing lightsaber duels, space battles, and the like. Ok so we didn't see anything in the way of dogfights or sprawling space battles in Backlash but Alston delivered in the action department. Although am I selfish for wanting more Jedi verses Sith? I feel like they're teasing us with brief lightsaber duels between Luke and his adversaries in the FOTJ series.

Yup, I agree with you guys. No mention of Abeloth or Luke and Ben's journey.

Liked the Jedi verses Mandos scene but I wanted to see more hand to hand combat there. But I have to say, loved the mini rockets.

Since I have to listen to the audios and can't get these in braille, I have been very pleased with the unabridged productions Random House has been releasing since Millenneum Falcon back in 08. Mark Thompson, narrator for the unabridged FOTJ series, draws you into the story and since he's a voice actor(TMNT 2k3, etc), he does a heck of a job portraying all the characters. He puts his own spin on the new characters introduced in this novel. Made Treen sound a little like Julia Child so I couldn't help but laugh whenever she showed up on screen, so to speak. I hope Jaina decks her before all is said and done.

So I loved Backlash. I'd give it an 8 out of 10. But I hope the authors pull out all the stops in the next 5 books.

Oh and what did you guys think about that hint of Xisor's possible return? Haven't heard much from Black Sun in a while have we? But I agree with Jaina,"Why is it that dead enemies can't be content to remain dead?"

2. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Backlash was enjoyable (as Allston is wont to be) but not outstanding. 8/10

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Between this and Outcast, I think we can form a conclusion: Aaron Allston is bringing the adventure novel back to Star Wars. Both Outcast and this were good old-fashioned adventure novels. Backlash manages to simultaneously work as great pulpy fun and as part of a big-picture series with big-picture stuff going on, while never succumbing to the time-killing and plot-dumbing that marred LOTF.

For the pulp, Backlash immediately starts out right, with Luke and Ben tracking a Sith across the planet and Han and Leia assembling a bush team to track them, consisting of a Jedi-dropout bush guide, a giant ex-stormtrooper merc, a clanless Dathomiri tracker, an ex-stuntwoman driver, and a spaceport official. Allston's able to bring some new dynamics in, and though it doesn't last the whole book, it also gives the opportunity for some Allana adventure. She's increasingly a fun kid, reminding me of the Solo kids at their best. The Dathomir plot line as a whole is fun, with some cool new characters in that party, a dynamic featuring more than just Ben and Luke, a solid plotline with the Nightsisters, and great duplicity from Vestara. She makes a really good antagonist, especially when Luke and Ben are forced to work alongside her, and I look forward to that continuing in Allies. What I don't look forward to is the romantic angle; it's cliched and obnoxious, but if it can be pulled off well, whatever.

Like all of FOTJ so far, the stumbling blocks are really in the Coruscant plotline (well, except for Omen, which was equal-opportunity unwilling to deliver story). Allston avoids them better than most; where the Jedi-gone-mad scenes were eye-rollingly obligatory and samey in Omen and Abyss, here the scene is very brief and simple, and is given a new treatment by having it be Dorvan, not a Jedi, who is next to him when he goes off. Hamner isn't clumsily character-assassinated, Daala isn't whitewashed though she's also not a total crazy petty villainous hooker, Han and Leia are actually given something interesting to do with the emissary role (seriously, GENERAL HAN SOLO IS BACK. MAKE THIS PERMANENT) and aren't made into stupid jackasses, and most importantly, it's acknowledged that public support for the Jedi is generally strong. I also really liked Jaina; Allston seems to be one of the few authors who can write her well, when he doesn't have her in traumatized-Sword mode a la LOTF. Allston also continues to make cool juxtapositions/unisons of Jag with Han, which is all to the better. The main problem here is the conspiracy that's introduced. It doesn't make any sense -- perhaps more precisely, it could make sense, but it isn't explained well enough and what is explained just makes it look insane and stupid. A psychotic pro-Imperial Kuati senator, a jackass in charge of Starfighter Command, a senator from Coruscant who would be cool to have if he weren't introduced in a continuity error and who somehow thinks unreconstructed Imperial Lecersen is the galaxy's best shot at sane, non-Palpatinistic order, bringing Lecersen into their master plot to use their control of news software to swing public opinion against Daala and revive the Empire . . . it's just too schizophrenic and weird to make sense. It's totally and blatantly artificial. I like the idea of there being a conspiracy. I don't like the conspiracy we've been given, other than the fact that it gives Jag cool opportunities to shoot up assassins and be badass. FOTJ would be pretty awesome if it didn't insist on sticking really stupid crap into the Coruscant political plotline.

There are a handful of minor quibbles that drag the book down a little, and the conspiracy knocks it down another couple notches, but other than that, a really solid, great, fun adventure novel from Allston, delivering a real blast-from-the-past feel that makes me think the franchise is finally on the right track, until I realize Denning's not only also involved in this, but gets the last word. Then I go back to depression. As it's not this book's fault someone else is going to find a way to screw it up, thou

4. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 109.6/15 = 7.31

5. colojedi7

colojedi7 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked Luke and Ben. At least Ben seems more like a normal teenager in the book, instead of a prematurely aged Knight. His attraction to Vestara is affecting his judgement a little which worries his father and should. The whole Dathomir part was well done. Jag and Jaina were fine. The three plots I just did not agree with or understand were:

1. What kind of parents would leave their 8 year old daughter alone on a ship for weeks! This makes no kind of sense whatsoever. I thought they wanted to raise her differently from Jacen, Jaina and Anakin. Instead of putting the New Republic first and leaving their kids to be raised by nannies, they were going to put her first. Then they run off to find Luke and Ben, leaving an eight year old alone on a ship with droids. Thats crazy!

2. Daala sending Mandos after the Jedi Order to capture one crazy Jedi. The Mandos were'nt there to capture anybody. They were there to kill as many jedi as possible. Then Daala calls in Han and Leia to help her get the jedi under control? This part makes no sense.

3. Vestara was part of the team on Abeloth's planet and knows firsthand how dangerous she is. Why in the heck would the Tribe want to go back and possibly fall under her control again? At least this batch of Sith seemed more able fighters the way they handled the Night Sisters, but still. I can understand Luke wanting to go back to find Abeloth. He didn't see what happened on the planet, but the Sith? Maybe it is just arrogance,they think they can handle her.[face_thinking]

Overall I would give Backlash an 8.5 out of 10.

6. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 118.1/16 = 7.38

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Mostly enjoyable with a few odd things thrown in. I'll give it a 7.6

8. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 125.7/17 = 7.39

9. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Loved it! What can I say that hasn't been said?

This was certainly said. The Daala stuff was really odd. Mando's attacking the Temple then that's somehow forgotten and the Jedi and Daala are suddenly brokering deals through Han and Leia? See, I don't think the Daala character has been really defined by any one author. (actually I think Anderson is the only man who got her) In FOTJ she changes from book to book and in some cases within the same book. She's all over the place.

Aside from Daala (which doesn't feel right in anyone's hands) Allston creates what I think may be the perfect "filler" novel. It's escapism from the escapism. Oh if he'd just gotten the Daala stuff right because the rest of the novel is just perfect adventurous fun. It's miles above Outcast and stands on it's own better than any of the FOTJ or LOTF books.

Everything on Dathomir was sheer joy for me. The way the Sith plot is playing out is working for me. The book had everything (In a filler novel which I knew this was going to be.) And we've moved on with Jag and Jaina. And we thankfully didn't have much to do with the Jedi madness. Frankly, I don't want to have to deal with it again until Cilgal is ready to do something about it. And Vestara. She still reminds me of Nen Yim for some reason. I hope she sticks around. She's definatly the most interesting character to come along in a while.

Backlash is the strongest FOTJ novel to date. It may not have had the most "important" information but I think it was a better Star Wars novel than Abyss. Abyss was trippy and cool. I loved it. But Backlash felt like good old fashioned Star Wars. Bantam on caf!

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 134.7/18 = 7.48

11. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    This was a decent book, but it had a few weaknesses that I have trouble over looking.

Detective Ben was a major one. Detective Ben, has been absent from the past three books, i have trouble simply accepting this particular depiction of Ben's character.I don't mind detective type characters, hell I love Harry Dresden but if it is not consitantly depicted in his character its just Jarring.

It is compounded his depiction in the last series was also...unfocused. The Authors really need to settle on his character.

the second mejor problem was the Allana story. It felt like something I read in elementary school, The "fight" between her and the Mechanic. Shin kicking? Hot coffee to the face?

the Mechanic is suppose to be a giant of a man (Yes from the view of an 8 year old) and Allana is an 8 year old litte girl. Unless she is donning some steel toe boots, that coffee is BLAZING and she is really fast, that fight was...Well something out of an Encyclopedia Brown style book.

Also Zekk and Taryn...Could it be any more obvious they were only there to make Han and Leia not look negligent. Any one of them probably could have renderd the Mechanic unconcious without Allana getting a look at them (Like it would matter if she did, after all she dosent know either of them).

the Final problem was the continuation of Dalaa's white washing, It's like Traviss trying to portray Boba Fett as something Heroic. It dosen't work. Especialy when it is done, when Dalaa or a character near her mentiones Jacen or Tahiri. You Can't mention the "Blood their hands", And then Compleatly Ignore the doings of Dalaa, Naithal, and yes even to an Extent Pealleon.

Naithal did what she did for her personal Gain, She wanted to be chief of state, She wanted to use the War with corellia to catipult her carrer. She was not a Saint.

Dalaa, is a psychopath who is part fanatic zelot, part do-it-fo-the-luz.

And Pallaeon let alot of evil fly in his LOOOOOONG military carrer. No, he was never excessivly or cartoonishly cruel, and in the end he did a lot of good. But his carrer was not one from the side of angels.

after that is was what you expect from Allston.

Lots of humor (But comedy is subjective, liked some didn't like others)

Corillian worship via Han Solo, the scariest grandpa in the Galaxy. Decent fighting, I found the force parts a bit weak. But they were never Allstons strong suit.

Not the Best Star Wars book i have read, but FAR from the worst.

I was going to give this book a 6.5, but a heart attack isn't somthing that one just brushes off. And he still deliverd a decent though it was not exceptional book, so I give it a 7/10.

12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 141.7/19 = 7.46

13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    For the most part, this book turned out to be a rather thrilling entry into the Fate of the Jedi series. It advanced plot lines, instead of feeling like more of the same, it provided more twists and turns, it revisited some familiar places, it provided our characters with some amazing moments, and it introduced some interesting original new faces as well.

It's not all golden, though. The entire Allana on the Falcon plot was just irritating in its stupidity. First of all, it makes Han and Leia look like awful parents, something that cropped up for time to time in the Bantam days and beyond. With as long as he's had that ship, are we really supposed to believe Han would leave any exits unlocked for Allana to exploit? It doesn't exactly make Zekk and his new girlfriend look all that competent either, to the point where even when Allana's fled they can't seem to incapacitate Monarg before he reaches the Falcon. It just drove me crazy thinking of all the ways the apparently responsible and capable adults, as well as one usually clever, in-the-know astromech droid, couldn't prevent the events that lead to Allana flying the Falcon to the middle of the Dathomiri jungle. As strong as the rest of the book was, that entire scene really just took me out of it. For all Allana had done that hadn't really caused me to think of her as the "annoying child", that scene really slammed it home, as if making up for all of her past appearances.

As far as Daala goes, she continues to not really bother me. I've had the feeling since FOTJ started that she's a changed woman and while she still has some flags, most obviously her hard line take on the Jedi, she does seem to be doing what she thinks is right for the GA. It's also nice that we see her actually getting opinions from her advisers and other major figures in the Alliance military. She's actually somewhat level-headed and it makes sense that she hasn't automatically been overthrown since the GA vs. Jedi scheme seemed a bit more tempered here, one massive Mando attacked excepted, of course. BTW, woohoo for the return of Bwua'tu!

The Luke and Ben plot continued to be the book's strength, not only introducing a few new, interesting characters, but also giving a nice, contained adventure giving us the old Dark vs. Light battle, some Sith and Nightsister intrigue, and some slight (very slight) character building. It's here where I think Allston's humor becomes most apparent, but here it's more naturally part of the story, with your occasional Ben wisecrack or curious translated Artoo comment. It's great to see something on Dathomir evolve as well, seeing that Luke's time on Dathomir has created some change and just like with the real world, not all change is easy. Yet here we get our first look of how that change can positively impact the culture. It's done well, our new tribes are both likable and easy to root for, and like I noted earlier, the multiple battles we get on Dathomir also present a series of rather awesome moments for various characters. Even though I considered most of the rest of the book to be just as solid, there were many times I wanted to get back to Dathomir just to see what was happening next.

The Coruscant plot, what I thought to be the weakest of the last couple of books since it seemed to just be repeating more of the same, actually gets some development here. Lecersen makes a welcome return in all his scheming glory teamed up with another corrupt Kuat senator (seriously, is there any other kind?). I enjoyed seeing that develop, even if Lecersen himself was probably the best part about it.

I was glad to see the GA and Jedi actually try to reach some understanding about their disagreements, but it looks like that attack at the end may be a major setback there. Though I'm wondering how much investigation will be shown before our wonderful characters start throwing accusations around.

Some of the continuity seems questionable. Wynn Dorvin asking Daala if she's going to use the Mandalorians seems a bit

14. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Excuse the formality, my review was originally posted on my review blog here

20 words or less: Despite some illogical character decisions, Backlash appeals to fans of both the original and prequel trilogies while continuing to build on the groundwork of the series and fix the expanded universe.

My Rating: 7/10

Pros: Luke and Ben feature in a worthwhile plot with memorable scenes; Crazed Jedi plotline continues to build slowly but steadily toward an unpredictable conclusion; Fate of the Jedi continues to build a strong groundwork with consistant characterization and few continuity errors;

Cons: Humor doesn't work as well as in previous Allston novels; Although necessary, the youth movement creates frustratingly illogical scenarios;

The Review: The writers and editors of the Fate of the Jedi series might not be Jedi Masters yet but they are getting closer and closer to hitting that wamp rat sized target located in the middle of nostalgia and innovation. Fate of the Jedi is supposed to be a return to the lighter, more escapist fare of the early Star Wars adventures after years of doom and gloom that robbed the galaxy far far aware of its most promising protagonists. While early installments struggled to drive forward the series plotlines and maintain individual narratives, in Backlash, Allston appears to have placed the flailing series on solid ground with the help of the Sith threat introduced in Book 3.

As young Jedi continue to inflicted by an unexplained insanity that makes their fellow Knights appear to be evil doppelgangers in their maladied minds, the Jedi Order struggles to maintain credibility with a government that has been seen Jedi become Sith one time too many. The Order must defend itself from these mentally ill Jedi, the politicians of the Galactic Alliance, and the power hungry moffs of the resurgent Empire. At the same time, Luke, convicted of endangering the galactic population by training these fallen Jedi and failing to control them and subsequently exiled from the Jedi Order, continues to explore the galaxy with his son Ben, hoping to find what caused his nephew Jacen Solo to become the Sith that killed Luke's wife, Mara. After encountering and repelling a Sith ambush in the previous installment, Luke and Ben track the sole survivor to Dathomir, where she attempts to hide herself within the innately force-sensitive, rancor-riding, indigenous population. When they do ultimately catch up to her, all is not as it appears.

Like the previous novels, the main Jedi plotline and the Skywalker plotline are for the most part separate although Han and Leia do jump between threads, providing that nostalgic feeling of reunion previously missing. However, unlike the previous novels, the Skywalker plotline is more substantive, developing the Force witches of Dathomir into a deeper culture than the wasted opportunities represented by the Baran Do Sages of Outcast and the Aing-Tii monks of Omen. As Luke and Ben attempt to capture the rogue Sith warrior, they find themselves in the middle of a clan war between a progressive clan rejecting the matriarchal traditions of the past and the secretive, darkside-wielding NightSisters. Whether it's the inclusion of the Sith element or the depth of the Dathomiri culture, there is a relevance to their actions that surpasses the "after-school special" superficiality of earlier plots. The re-emergence of the Sith as a threat, although a somewhat tamer version than Palpatine's evil incarnate, also raise the stakes of the series overall. It took awhile but Luke and Ben's actions finally matter again.

The second string concerning the political struggles of the Jedi amidst a crisis of crazies is about as strong as it has been all series but rather than being forced to carry the weight of the book, the strength of the Dathomir plotline allows it to slowly ratchet up the tension. While it's strange that major players are still bein

15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 157/21 = 7.48

16. Treborani

Treborani Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2009
    Finally, I don't have to constantly worry about being spoiled. Feels good to not be constrained in where I post and what threads I read!

To the review. I was very, very excited when I got Backlash in the library today. In fact, I was so excited that I was afraid the book wouldn't meet my high expectations, but it doesn't take much to please me and this book did. Aaron Allston didn't seem to be obsessed with showing a grim side of Star Wars and the book was able to be light-hearted in comparison to the more reason books. I was happy that Allston didn't allow Hamner's character to be destroyed, since that's what Denning seemed to be doing. I was also happy to see that Niathal didn't side with Daala (who by the way was still crazy and I still hated her, but at least she was bearable in this book). I enjoyed Vestara's character, too, even if she's being rather blatantly set up as Ben's love interest. Also, being relatively new to the EU, I haven't read much of the older books except for some of the essentials like I, Jedi. I had heard a little about Dathomir, but the Nightsisters and clans were pretty new to me so I thoroughly enjoyed being introduced to them. I also liked Allana's little adventure. Overall, there were a lot of good things in this book and I enjoyed it a lot.

What I didn't like was Lecersen and the conspiracy, but it wasn't that bad and I understand what's trying to be done here. Also, I really wanted a little more of Zekk. He barely had a role despite the fact that he's supposedly been dead and we're just now getting him back. I just feel like we could have at least gotten a conversation out of him or something, but whatever.

8.5/10

17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 165.5/22 = 7.52

18. JacenSolo26

JacenSolo26 Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2009
    For pure enjoyment's sake, I give this novel a ten out of ten. Excellent characterizations of Allana and Natasi Daala in particular, and even her nexu Anji got some characterization!

Han Solo with a flamethrower. WIN.

The madness of Jedi Saar actually took me completely by surprise. It was telegraphed well -- it was actually Dyon I expected would catch the Abeloth psychosis, seeing as he was Force-sensitive.

Raynar Thul. Oh yeah. "I am Jedi Thul. I have not fought for real in years. I should be a pushover. Come get me." EPIC WIN!

Finally, I really enjoyed the Vestara/Ben interaction and look forward to seeing where their relationship takes them.

10/10

19. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 175.5/23 = 7.63

20. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I'm going to make this short and sweet:

The Good:

-Some good action here.
    -And I liked most of what went on on Dathomir
    -Killing Mandos is always great :D

The Bad:

-Han and Leia leaving Allana on the Falcon while they traipse across Dathomir? I HATE THAT!
    -Anything with Daala. I laughed every single time some new diffuculty crossed her path. It's been how long since she was made Chief of State? and I still can't wrap my brain around it. I still hate her and I still hate the idea of thinking of her as anything but dead.
    -I don't like the idea that the whole Jacen plot seemes to have been dropped.
    -I really want them to get a move on with curing the crazy Jedi or at least finding out more about how they're going all nuts. Dragging it out like this is making me impatient and annoyed.

All in all:
    -Not bad, not great 7/10

21. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    The Good

Allana beginning to take up the Solo/Skywalker role
    Good Fights with Nightsister
    RAYNAR THUL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ben/Vestara
    Karen Travis would hate it

The Bad

Daala being nicer
    Cha Niathel dead (I don't care what you say)
    Empire, Kuat, and all those persons

The Ugly

Telescopic/Microscopic Eyes

Overall 9.5/10

Well put together but that Eye......I DIDN"T EVEN UNDERSTAND lol....o ya I AM RAYNAR THUL!!!!!

22. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I lol'd. =D=

23. BennyM

BennyM Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007
  24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 200.8/26 = 7.72

25. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm giving it a 10/10.

Mostly because I haven't enjoyed a SW series book this much in awhile. A couple of the stand-a-lones have been fantastic, but the series books haven't been all that good since NJO. I know people are complaining about the humor, but I loved it! I agree with what others have said that it read more like the adventure Star Wars we all loved before. Keep up the good work!