main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: FORCE HERETIC I: REMNANT(REMNANT spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Caine, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

The drill:

Rate Remnant on a scale from 1 to 10.

If possible, note your ratings of previous NJO books (also on a 1 to 10 scale) for comparison. If you'd like, supplement your rating of Remnant with a few words (or a lot, as you see fit).

Previous Review threads in case you missed them (feel free to vote if you haven't already):

The JC Lit Reviews Special: Rebel Dream (RD Spoilers imminent)

The JC Lit Reviews Special: REBEL STAND (Spoilers for RS *only*)

The JC Lit Reviews Special: TRAITOR (Spoilers)

The JC Lit Reviews Special: YLESIA (Ylesia and DW Spoilers)

The JC Lit Reviews Special: DESTINY'S WAY (DW spoilers)

2. Lord_of_the_Siths

Lord_of_the_Siths Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    hmm.... i'm confused. I was under the impression that no one on the whole planet has the book yet.

3. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    read the official thread. :D

4. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Where there is a will, there is a way :p

5. Lord_of_the_Siths

Lord_of_the_Siths Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    Should be getting some reviews pretty soon.

6. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    Any minute

*checks watch and thrums fingers on desk*

7. Caine

Mar 3, 2002
  8. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

[ Up ]

9. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

[ Up again ]

10. Skylark

Skylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    Wait-so is the book out or not?

I'm confuzzled as usual....

11. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Several people have obtained the book and will hopefully be posting reviews shortly.

BTW Caine, I've never told you this before, but your idea for this whole Lit Reviews Special segment was probably one of the best additions made to The Lit as a whole since I've frequented the place.

Kudos! :)

JMA

12. Skylark

Mar 10, 2002
    Cool beans!

I'm so bored I might just wander down to my local B & N in Kenmore Square and check it out...even though it prolly isn't out yet.

13. Jai

Jai Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    Hmm i've had remanent since wednesday, but i was halfway through reading another book... I'll be starting it 2nite...

Wonder how many ppl do have a copy...

oh and isn't it great
    UK release = 1st Feb
    US release = 4th Feb

hehehe :D

14. Skylark

Mar 10, 2002
    Further evidence that the UK rules. ;) :D

(Note: I'm a proud American, but I can not deny the sheer awesomeness of the UK :p )

15. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I believe that the Australian release date is the 4th also... although it has started to appear in import stores.

Sean Williams told me that he found it in Galaxy bookstore in Sydney.

16. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
  17. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    I believe FH is also on half.com

18. YODA_SITH

YODA_SITH Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I couldn't find it at half.com

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Please try and take Caine's review threads seriously. If you, from this point forward, do not review the book (even merely offer up a 1 to 10 point value ranking the book), "bad things" will happen. "The Hunt For Red Oct- Force Heretic" thread should be used to find the book. The Official FH1: Remnant thread should be used to discuss spoilers. If you review the book here -- don't use spoilers. That is all.

That's a first impression. I may adjust it later.

20. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "If you review the book here -- don't use spoilers."

"The JC Lit Reviews Special: FORCE HERETIC I: REMNANT(REMNANT spoilers)"

Hmm?

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sorry -- Wedge is correct (I'm used to having Caine's threads without spoilers! :D)

You can use spoilers here, my bad. [face_blush]

22. tim500

tim500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    My Review of first half of book : 8

I'm half way through it more later...

[BTW I live in Australia]

23. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    MY REVIEW!

?These are indeed strange times.? ? Luke Skywalker

Firstly, my opinions on the general writing styles of Sean Williams and Shane Dix. I?m impressed. In terms of literary value, NJO has varied wildly; from Traitor, which peaked, to Enemy Lines, which didn?t. In terms of writing style, Remnant has to be one of my favourite books since Greg Keyes. I find myself looking forward to the next two books by these talented writers, as well as Keyes? book; this next year should be a good one for NJO.

In terms of structure, Remnant is different to most; it has no individual chapters, merely four major segments. Intersection, Destination, Intervention, and Conscription. These segments are of varying lengths, and work surprisingly well. Before I make further comments, my opinions on characterisation.

LUKE
    Luke seems, on the whole, to be very much well-managed. That said, he doesn?t do that much ? in fact, precious little. Too often (for my tastes) he?s merely stood at the side, being a symbol. While he?s in the X-wing battles, we don?t even see that side of the action. That said, in spite of this he shines quite well. One scene absolutely stuck in my mind; where Pellaeon calls Luke ?my friend?. That scene alone struck me as one of the greatest transition points in the entire SW novel-range; when the Grand Admiral of the Empire refers to the Jedi Master as his friend; when the one who allied with Thrawn to hunt Skywalker down, acknowledges him as an equal and an ally. That scene will please any fan of Luke, in my opinion! This is one of the few books, also, where a meeting of the Jedi Knights does not end with Luke seeming weak. While we had an excerpt, immediately after that Luke pushed his presence forwards, and humbled this new ?rogue Jedi?. Allying with Kyp Durron to do it! Fans of Luke will be disappointed that we still don?t see the father-son scene that is so longed for, but it is hinted at near the end of the novel, where Luke thinks a little about his son.

MARA
    Mara has even less of a presence than her husband, really, accomplishing precious little. There?s no mention of how her ship escaped Coruscant/ Eclipse in SbS, of course, but then ? this is the NJO! Literally Mara?s only contribution, in terms of plot, is when she stops a Moff shooting Pellaeon down near the end.

PELLAEON
    Unusual, to list the Grand Admiral near the top in terms of character; particularly after his sloppy appearance in DW. But in Remnant, he seems very much in character, and his conversation with the Yuuzhan Vong commander is one of the highlights of the book. I?ll quote it!

?-Will but delay the inevitable?. (blah blah)?

Pellaeon: ?Maybe I?m missing something, Vorrik, but I?m not seeing any evidence of this great plan of yours. We?re destroying your yammosks; we?ve killed your spies; we?re taking back those you thought were captives. You don?t have the muscle to take this planet, let alone the others. Your threats are as empty as your boasts are shallow.?

?You will eat those words when-?

?Empty!?

?-We turn your abominations into slag and-?

?Empty!?

?-Grind every trace of you into the dust from which you were born!?

?Empty, Vorrik! It?s time for you to make good on your promises, Commander; either destroy us or get out!?

?By the gods of my people, infidel, I promise that you will choke on those words!?

?Maybe one day, Vorrik, but not today. You really should have thought twice about this gambit of yours ? especially if you didn?t have the resources to pull it off in the first place. We have no intentions of surrendering ? not now, not ever. You may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, but the Empire will always strike back. That I promise you. You tell Shimrra from me that if he wants to get the job done, then he?s going to have to send a bigger fleet ? and a more competent commander to oversee it.?

Pellaeon is easily my favourite in this book, I must say!

HAN AND LEIA

All too often in this book, Han seems more than a trifle ?hen-pecked?; nonethe

24. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

As before, please review the book after you've finished reading the book in full.

Counting 2 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of REMNANT = 16/2 = 8/10

Edited: counting dp's "first-impression" rating. Note that these review threads are meant for first impressions anyway. Another words, I'm not changing the average down the line :p

25. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

JMA -
    BTW Caine, I've never told you this before, but your idea for this whole Lit Reviews Special segment was probably one of the best additions made to The Lit as a whole since I've frequented the place.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'll try to continue this venture for non-NJO books if the rest of you agree. Others may have to alert me to them though since I don't keep track of their release dates as much as I do for NJO books.