main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: FORCE HERETIC I: REMNANT(REMNANT spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Caine, Jan 28, 2003.

1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I think what the story suffered from most was the fact it is a good book in a bad series.

Charecterizations were, almost to a person, spot on where I want them. Sadly considering where the story had left off, they're also completely wrong.

The format I thought was great, the look into the unknown regions should be cool, again though, with only a few books left in the entire series, I'm afraid the NJO is going to end with a Plot Device Of Unusual Size and this book does nothing to allay that fear.

I grade the authors highly, and the editors very low.

The book as part of the NJO was sub par, on it's own merits it was supurbly done.

I will be reading all the authors other works as soon as I can, but as far as the NJO goes I still have very little in the way of hopes.

2. Jedi_Knight_Mike

Jedi_Knight_Mike Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2002
    It is a bit like the timeframe between ESB and ROTJ. In the space of a year and a bit the rebels go from losing a major battle at Hoth to defeating the Empire at the decisive battle of Endor.

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I rate the novel 9.25

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I'll add my thoughts when I manage to procure a copy, hopefully this decade. I traveled to some outer city stores to see if some had them, but to no avail. I've waited so long for Remnant . . . does that mean it'll be even better to read? :D

5. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 32 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of REMNANT = 257.85/32 ~ 8.06/10

6. FisherSpeaker

FisherSpeaker Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2002
    I give it a 9.5

7. Jedi_Alea

Jedi_Alea Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2002
    So much has been said that I agree with, so I will be as brief as possible:

Characterization:

The best in character development I have ever seen yet. Favs were Pelleon (sp), Jacen, Jag, Jaina, Saba, Tekli, and Tahiri. I felt like they did a better job with Luke, Mara, Han and Leia than many of the other authors. They seemed more true to form, even though I hope they continue in the given direction with more action and prominence (especially Luke and Leia). I hope the remaining authors will continue what these 2 are doing with the development of each of these characters.

Plot:

Pretty darn good (and I didn't quite expect that for some reason). I think we have the potential for many events that many fans have not forseen. I was very leary of them heading towards the Yevetha, and relieved and appalled when I found out they were wiped out. I'm pretty leary of the Ssi-Ruvvi/Bakura mission, and I just know that situation will probably get a little ugly (the Ssi-Ruuvi just gave me nightmares after I read TAB!) I'm thrilled that Zonoma Sekot will be coming back into the picture, and I hope that the tide is turned in a hopeful direction for the GFFA in regards to this mission. Seeing the Imperial Remnant join forces gives me hope that the cooperation of the Chiss will be more likely in the story.

I felt like this was an easy, exciting and enjoyable read. Great job Shane Dix and Sean Williams!

Rating:
    I give it a 9/10 for a great beginning to a hopefully GFFA successful trilogy!

8. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I thought that Remnant was awesome. I look forward to the rest of the Force Heretic Series.
    I give Remnant a 9.5/10.

9. Master_Ja-arren

Master_Ja-arren Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    All in all, thought it was a good read, i'll give it a 9.2

10. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Chewbacca of Kashyyyk Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 1999
    Liked remnant a lot...the two authors may have made it longer than ordinary..which was not a bad thing.

CoK gives it a 8.75

11. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 37 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of REMNANT = 303.8/37 ~ 8.21/10

12. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    I give the book a 9.2

Great characterizations, great plot, and bringing back old Star Wars from other books and sources (Kyle Katarn! WOOT!) is teh cool. :cool:

JMA

13. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    9.5 / 10

Interesting plotlines, great character development from unlikely places, and much more bearable versions of Jaina and Mara make this book a Top Three NJO ppbck, IMO, up there with only Traitor and Rebel Dream.

14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm giving it a 9/10. I though it was a great novel with lots of neat refrences, but it had a few minor continutity errors. I would have liked to seen more Han/Leia banter, but what we got was good enough. :D

15. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 40 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of REMNANT = 331.5/40 ~ 8.29/10

16. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    I haven't been here in a while. Haven't read it yet. Haven't even read Destiny's Way. Haven't even found it. :(

[face_plain]

17. anakin85

anakin85 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    I give it a 9/10.

18. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 41 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of REMNANT = 340.5/41 ~ 8.30/10

19. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    9/10

Great. My only gripe is the on-screen, (and therefore irrefutable), mass-extinctions/endangerments. I thought we were past that sort of thing in the NJO, and then Remnant comes along with four new ones. :(

20. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    First of all, I was incredibly impressed by the various refrences to past EU. A few notables: Gov. Beltane and the SD droids(Dark Empire), the Yevetha and Fia(Black Fleet Crisis), Bakura and the Ssi-Ruuk(The Truce at Bakura), and Niuraun(Hand of Thrawn). It showed that Sean and Shane really put some effort into researching the EU, which really impresses me.

Now, to the story itself. I was promised character development in Nom Anor, Tahiri, and Saba, and I was not dissapointed. Nom is slowly evoloving from a conniving servant of Shimmra to a conniving usuper of Shimmra. He gives off the feeling that he will play a huge part in the end of the war. Tahiri, this book gave me the proof that she is the Force Heteric. She is slowly falling into madness, and I forsee the "Riina" side of her personality taking over throughout the trilogy. Saba has went from a character I barely noticed to a character I care about. Her grief over her accidental killing of her people was a great illustartion of the accidents that can happen in war.

The plot was solid, and I enjoyed seeing the Remnant getting very involved in Galactic affairs. Nice to see them triumph too, and to see Pellaeon in action. He has officially established himself as true leader of the Empire, by ignoring the Moff council. Han and Leia's part was effective, and the refrences were great. The upcoming return of the Ryn is also great, since I feared they were doing the EU limbo for good. Luke's mission will be the focal point of the FH trilogy, rightfully. I'm anxious to see how Zonoma Sekot will be found, and how the Chiss will be involved next. This book has me almost drooling in anticaptition over Refugee

Overall, definetly a top 3 book in the NJO series. While Traitor and Star by Star will always hold a special place to me, Remnant will defintly be a book I'd argue for as great.

My final score: 9.5/10 (There's a reason it's not a 10, which I'll bring up in a thread later.)

EDIT: Never mind, I figured out my question myself. :)

21. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 43 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of REMNANT = 359/43 ~ 8.35/10

22. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    I just finished Remnant today and I was genuninely impressed. It was quite exciting to see the Empire fully in the conflict. I also enjoyed the various references to other books. My only complaint was the difference between DW Nom Anor and the Nom Anor in this book, plus the minor continuity errors, which I wouldn't haven noticed if it wasn't for all you people... :p

Overall, I give it 9.25/10

23. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    This was a very good and welcome addition to the NJO series.

Pros-

1. Jacen Solo - His post Traitor character is written really well. With all due respect to WJW, Jacen seemed like Jacen in this book, unlike in DW.

2. Han/Leia - Their banter and relationship is much better portrayed in here than in some previous NJO novels.

3. The Empire - I've been waiting forever for them to really get involved in the war. One question though, what happened to the Super Star Destroyer they had in DW? Is that the ship that Pelleaon laments the loss of?

Cons -

1. General Solo - More of a gripe really. Jaina is repeatedly referred to by rank. But never once is Han referred to as a General.

Overall, it was well-written book. Not as good as Traitor, but still a very good read. (I'm a little biased towards Traitor... sorry) It seems we've found another two authors who can fairly accuratly portray the heros of the SW galaxy. :) I give Force Heretic I: Remnant a 9/10. I hope the rest of the FH Trilogy is this good. :)

J_J

24. Nok_Su_Kow

Nok_Su_Kow Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2003
    I rate it 9.5/10

-.5 for using Pelleon's first name 37 times.

25. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    8.5. Good, but not otustanding.

[image=http://www.geocities.com/reaperfett/njothescorerem.txt]