The JC Lit Reviews Special: FORCE HERETIC II: REFUGEE (REFUGEE spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Caine, Apr 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The drill:

Rate Refugee on a scale from 1 to 10.

If possible, note your ratings of previous NJO books (also on a 1 to 10 scale) for comparison. If you'd like, supplement your rating of Refugee with a few words (or a lot, as you see fit).

Previous NJO Review threads in case you missed them (feel free to vote if you haven't already):

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6213214]The JC Lit Reviews Special: Rebel Dream (RD Spoilers imminent)[/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7012853]The JC Lit Reviews Special: REBEL STAND (Spoilers for RS *only*)[/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7667586]The JC Lit Reviews Special: TRAITOR (Spoilers)[/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8946420]The JC Lit Reviews Special: DESTINY'S WAY (DW spoilers)[/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10343473]The JC Lit Reviews Special: FORCE HERETIC I: REMNANT(REMNANT spoilers)[/link]

Non-NJO Review threads:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10759477]The JC Lit Reviews Special: TATOOINE GHOST (TG spoilers)[/link]
  2. forceaddict Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i personally liked refugee i think they did a good job of bringing the elements of the story together

it wasn't the most action packed novel, but it was interesting, and had a good flow to it

i liked the scenes in Chiss space, it is nice to see the Fel's get some light

the part with the on Bakura was good, i liked the lying and backstabbing, it made things hard to predict

it was interesting to see the struggle inside of tahiri, i wonder what is going to be done with that in the next novels

it was a great stepping stone to the next novel

i give it a 9/10
  3. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

Counting 1 review.

JC Lit Average Rating of REFUGEE = 9/1 = 9/10
  4. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    9/10

Very good book. Great battles, interesting plot line, and taking more things from EU Limbo(Ken Palpatine's gonna be all alone).

The only thing that gets me: there's no freaking chapters--the book is divided into long parts, just like Remnant.
  5. JediAlly Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not good on the ratings, so I won't do that. However, I do have two things negative about the book.

1) Even though we get to see Soontir again, and finally Syal and Wyn, we don't learn anything new. When are the writers at DR and LFL going to tell us what happened to Soontir and Syal after the X-wing comics?!

2) Both parties were betrayed, but we were able to see the inner workings behind Cundertol and Harris - why they did the betrayals and the specifics. No such thing for Aabe and the Chiss who attacked Luke and Soontir. Williams and DIx should have included that.

Other than that - good read, especially since we get to see what's going on in Tahiri's mind. What's in store for her for the rest of the NJO is more than reason enough for any of you to read the last three books.
  6. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

Counting 2 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of REFUGEE = 18/2 = 9/10
  7. J_K_DART Jedi Master

star 5
    *fumes and wishes his bookshop would get a copy* I have to say, I'm much looking forward to seeing how this book is reviewed; the previous one was, imo, one of the best books in a long time, and I'm looking forward to the next installment a *lot*...
  8. ChicagoCubs Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Caine, whatever happened to your countdown threads?
  9. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

Which countdown threads? I remember counting down to Traitor, but that's it... right?
  10. beafet Jedi Knight

star 5
    7.5/10

it was better than remnant, not as good as most of the other recent ones. IE Balance Point and all after

[face_plain]

11. ChicagoCubs Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Really? Was that it? I thought for sure there were others. Oh well, they say the memory is first to go.
  12. Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan

star 4
    7/10
    I enjoyed the book, but I liked Remnant a lot more.

I have several gripes about Refugee, and first and foremost is the glacial pacing. The book takes a whole lot of pages to go, in essence, nowhere. Until the last couple of dozen pages, not much really occurs, and there is no need to build up things as much as the page count implied that things would be. Notice that I said 'implied'? Good, because that was deliberate. Refugee really *doesn't* set up the action sequence(s) very well, even with all those pages of text. I found myself wondering why any of the events in the Unknown Regions really took place. And even then, it wasn't horribly interesting.
    My next gripe may seem like a minor one to many, but it was so irritating and all-ervasive that I had to mention it. Seemingly every character that the authors introduce, regardless of how minor or major each character is, they're damned near *all female*. This goes for Remnant too. An Imperial frigate captain, sure. An Alliance frigate captian, sure. A female Imperial star destroyer captain? Uh...maybe. And then there's the five zillion female Chiss. And the female Bakuran pilots. And the random, meaningless, female Ssi-ruuk commander. Yeah. I'm surprised that Williams & Dix didn't introduce an all-female stormtrooper unit. It could be called the fem-platoon. *rolls eyes* It got old fairly quick. Anywho, it was so prevailant that it quickly became distracting from the plot of the story.
    At any rate, there's my two cents.
  13. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

Counting 4 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of REFUGEE = 32.5/4 ~ 8.13/10
  14. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    [link=http://makeashorterlink.com/?X5AF23C64]Read the review[/link]...

- The Imperial Ewok
  15. Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I liked your review, Thrawn McEwok. I agree with most of your points.
  16. Nitro29 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I enjoyed reading Refugee just as much as I did with Remnant. Another plus was that there was a little bit more action in Refugee than in Remnant. The whole Bakuran incident was really cool, and I actually enjoyed reading Malinza's character.
    The whole Tahiri split personality thing was also enjoyable to read. I can't wait to see how that plays out further down the line.
    The Zenoma Sekot plotline was also great. We finally see the Chiss home world which was cool. The whole library scene was my favorite. Though I kinda got the feeling that this part of the story took the backseat to the Bakura plot, but judging from the summary of Reunion, it will be the other way around.

All in all, it was a fun read
    I rate it a 9/10
  17. dark_jedi666 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well the second "chapter" in the Force Heretic series is here, and let me say I enjoyed it, more than I enjoyed Remnant. I found it to be a very enjoyable read, with only a few minor problems keeping it from being a great book. I loved the scenes involving the Library with Luke, Mara, Jacen and company. It was cool to see Baron Fel have a bigger role and also cool to meet Wyn Fel. I just hope Jacen doesnt end up with her, or that would cause some real family issues between, Jacen and Jaina, and Jag and Wyn. :)

The Bakura part of the book, was good to, as Williams and Dix kept you guessing on who was backstabbing who. And Cunderdol, can anyone say Guri? LOL. Seriously though Leia and Han got a lot of story time in this book, much more than they did in Remnant, and I felt it was done well. I just hope in the next book, the plotline for them intertwines more with the NJO as a whole.

So as for my rating for Refugee
    is a solid 8 out of 10.
    Other NJO Ratings :

Vector Prime: 7.5
    Onslaught: 5.5
    Ruin: 6.5
    Hero's Trial: 7
    Jedi Eclipse: 7
    Balance Point: 5
    Conquest: 6.5
    Rebirth: 6.5
    Star by Star: 9
    Dark Journey: 5
    Rebel Dream: 7
    Rebel Stand: 7
    Traitor: 8.5
    Destiny's Way: 7
    Remnant: 7.5

18. Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I suppose I should tack up my quick numerical scores for the NJO so far as well...

Vector Prime: 6
    Onslought: 7
    Ruin: 9
    Hero's Trial: 8
    Jedi Eclipse: 7
    Balance Point: 7
    Conquest: 7
    Rebirth: 8
    Star By Stay: 8
    Dark Journey: 6
    Rebel Dream: 8
    Rebel Stand: 8
    Traitor: 6
    Destiny's Way: 9
    Remnant: 8
    Refugee: 7
  19. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    My scores:

Vector Prime: 8
    Onslaught: 6
    Ruin: 7
    Hero's Trial: 6
    Jedi Eclipse: 6
    Balance Point: 6
    Conquest: 9
    Rebirth: 7
    Star by Star: 10
    Dark Journey: 6
    Rebel Dream: 8
    Rebel Stand: 8
    Traitor: 9
    Destiny's Way: 8
    Remnant: 9
    Refugee: 9
  20. CG-Realms Jedi Youngling

star 2
    A vast improvement over the rather dry Remnant, I found Refugee both faster-paced and more involving. I like the direction that they're taking Nom Anor and Tahiri, especially, spicing them up quite a bit. The other characters I found to be portrayed a bit more 2D, like the pre-NJO days rather than the more complex characterizations of the later books. Still, I wish the authors would trust their audience a bit more, and inject a bit more literary flair into it. It practically read itself, and while fluid, I was looking for a bit more of a challenge. The writing style, in my opinion, doesn't compare favorably to the exerpt from Shatterpoint which followed it.

That said, despite my nitpicks, it was quite the enjoyable read from beginning to end, and matched the pulp feel of the movies quite well. George would be proud.

8.5/10
  21. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

Counting 7 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of REFUGEE = 58/7 ~ 8.29/10
  22. HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    9/10 A big improvement over remnant as far as pacing problems. It also ended up improving the dry taste in my mouth left after Destiny's Way
  23. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

Counting 8 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of REFUGEE = 67/8 ~ 8.38/10
  24. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd give it a 9/10. It was pretty good and fun to read.
  25. anakin85 Jedi Youngling

star 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.