main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: FORCE HERETIC III: REUNION (REUNION spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 30 reviews: 242.12/30 = 8.07/10

2. Darth Hakuna

Darth Hakuna Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2000
    4/10

I think this books is pretty bad. I spent a whole month to finish it.

3. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 31 reviews: 246.12/31 = 7.94

4. Chiss_Imperial

Chiss_Imperial Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2004
    I really liked this book. It wasn't super action pact but it was cool. 9/10

5. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    6.5/10
    it was ok

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 33 reviews: 246.12/33 = 7.93

7. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Forgot to rate this one lol...

FH3: Slow in places, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Zonama Sekot was good. I liked Pellaeon and Vorrik going head-to-head again too.

6/10

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 34 reviews: 252.12/34 = 7.42

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Unlock and bump.

10. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Thanks, Havac.

By far the best book of the trilogy which seeing as it's the finale, I think that it should be. Where the first two had moments where they were a bit slow, this one seemed to kick the action off fast and kept it coming throughout. And where there weren't endless thrills, I was still engrossed enough to resist putting it down.

What this book does, as any good end to a trilogy would, is provide closure to the various storylines presented in this trio of books. Luke's group finally gets to Zonama Sekot and the results are far from disappointing (though I wonder how I would have viewed it if I'd read Rogue Planet). Tahiri, who I'll admit was at times a bit grating with the insanity, suffering, and self-loathing, overcomes her troubles in what I think is a very satisfying way. I look forward the stronger, more sure Tahiri in the future books, though I'm a bit disappointed that she's elected to give up the Hobbit fashion choice. Even the Ryn network (with Droma's obvious position within), Pellaeon's battle with the YV from Remnant, and Saba's memories of her planet and accidental killing of the slaves receive satisfying conclusions. And I'd just like to note that I was happy to see Droma return. He has an entertaining rapport with Han, even if the complaining did seem to get unending at times.

Then there's Nom Anor's story that while somewhat interesting (can't say I ever complain about getting more Nom Anor) made me realize just how easily they could have probably wrapped it up in two, if not the first book. Nice to see a wrench thrown into his plans of returning to power. I wonder how he'll bounce back, though with only two books left in NJO, I'm not too optimistic about that.

Like I said, the fast pace and interesting stories really raised my enjoyment of the book. While some of the character development gets a back seat, with as many characters as they have it's understandable. Still, Han and Leia taking a back seat and Jacen and Jaina acting more like their pre-SbS selves is a bit of a concern, IMO. Minor issues, though.

8.5/10

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I loved this book as well and will take the oppurtunity given to rave about it. :D

I simply loved Nom Anor's rise to Prophetdom in this series and this book continues that story beautifully. Plotting or not to attemp to overthrow Shimrra along side Nom Anor's mistrust of his closest companions really added a lot to his character. Perhaps he could never trust those closest to him because he simply didn't understand the notion of loyalty. I really don't think Nom could grasp the idea that some of his followers were loyal to him, because he had never been loyal to anyone in his whole life. Brilliant! :)

This brings me to my favorite Grand Admiral, Gilad Pellaeon. The entire Force Heretic series was a tour du force for the aging Imperial as he won fleet victory after fleet victory against B'****h Vorrik and the Vong. Leading to a final showdown in Reunion.
    Pellaeon's taunting of Vorrik was incredible.
    "Thats odd, because I seem to recall you withdrawing at Borosk." Pellaeon paused long enough to allow the commander to think of a response, but not enough time to actually utter it. " And here I was thinking that we were finally managing to breed some sense into your barbaric species. Now I see we still have some way to." Just an awesome portrayal of Pellaeon as a brilliant leader and fleet commander.

Jacen, Jaina and Sekot were a lot of fun, including Sekots ability to take on any form and show them their grandfather as a young man. Jacen looking onto his grandfathers blue eyes is kinda of chilling scene now in retrospect, knowing what Jacen has become.

I loved this whole series, Remnant the most, but I hold the other two parts in high reguard as well.

9 out of 10 for me. :)

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 269.62/36 = 7.49