main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: LABYRINTH OF EVIL (spoilers - but not for EPISODE III)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Here we go again! That's right -- I interrupted my trip to Vienna to bring you this danged thread!

As usual, please rate LABYRINTH OF EVIL on a scale from 1 to 10. Please don't rate the book until after you've finished it. Thank you.

Also, please supplement your rating of LABYRINTH OF EVIL with a few words (or a lot, as you see fit).

Links to previous review threads, in case you missed 'em:

Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    Shatterpoint
    The Cestus Deception
    MedStar I: Battle Surgeons
    MedStar II: Jedi Healer
    Jedi Trial
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
    Tatooine Ghost
    Survivor's Quest
    Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
    Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
    Traitor
    Destiny's Way
    Force Heretic I: Remnant
    Force Heretic II: Refugee
    Force Heretic III: Reunion
    The Final Prophecy
    The Unifying Force

2. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    My rating:

First 2/3 - 5
    Last 1/3 - 8.7
    Overall - 7.2

Details forthcoming once I'm back in the States.

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Gah... another hardcover...

4. Darth-Bradius

Darth-Bradius Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 20, 2004
    i think being spoiled for ROTS film, helps this book greatly as you can see where bits are leading to

i would give it 8/10

5. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    This out? Must go get.

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, it's out today or tomorrow.

7. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Its out tomorrow, no ? I hope it is because I was planning on stopping by B&N and picking it up after work.

8. TheEmpireStrikes

TheEmpireStrikes Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2004
    My local bookshop had it on sale from at least the 15th, cause I saw it then. Haven't bought, but I skimmed through in the shop and let me say, we get mucho Grievous, Sidious and overall Seperatist info!

9. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Ill give it a 9, Im too lazy to write a full review, but Ill say that Anakin and Obi wan's relationship in this book is done amazingly well, and it easily has the best portrayal of Anakin in any EU, the last scene between the pair (indeed the last scene in the book) is probably one of my favourite in all of star wars.

Also General Grievous is now one of my favourite star wars characters, I loved when he was fighting the last of the 4 jedi guarding Palpatine and let the Jedi hit him almost out of pity, and then stabbed her through the heart.

Anyway, like I said, a 9.

10. Club_333

Club_333 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2001
    i would have to agree with the 9/10.

11. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    I'll have to go get at Barne and no bull or Border's tommorow. I would have gotten it today had it not been for a busy schedule.

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 4 reviews: 33.2/4 = 8.3

13. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    9/10.

Answers many questions about Attack Of the Clones, beautifuly sets up Episode III and the themes/characterizations we'll see there, and ties in with a lot of previous Clone Wars material.

14. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    8/10

High points include- Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship, Palpatine, Final 1/3 of book, Answers to some Ep 2 questions.

Come on, how great was Palpatine?

"So tell me, how does the search for Darth Sidious go?" (or something like that) when talking to Yoda.

Then when he uses a Sith Mind Trick on Grevious, or is made to look like he does, is great!

15. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    9/10

Great Obi/Ani relationship. Answers so many questions about TPM, AOTC and questions that will come out of ROTS. Fast paced, exciting, but doesn't sacrifce characterization.

There were parts with Obi/Ani that I laughed out loud. I've never done that with a Star Wars book, ever.

16. james_hewlett

james_hewlett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2004
    Picked mine up on tuesday, I usually wait for the paperbacks but this sounded too good, and I wanted to read it before ROTS. I was amazed to find it so early in the UK.
    Amazing book, really really enjoyed it. Couldn't put it down infact.
    One of the best EU books I've read in a long long time.

10/10

17. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    10/10

Should be required reading for all to get a better understanding of the prequals.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd give it a 9.2 + 0.2 simply on the basis of Mace/GG.

So final rating 9.4.

This book made me more excited for ROTS than I was previously, and I was unaware that this was possible after the teaser trailer.

Just seeing the coolness of Grievous vs. the Jedi and the sheer brilliance of Palpatine is staggering.

Plus Obi-Wan and a tractor beam...

19. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    The book provided many insights into the overal plotting and scheming of the sith. In a way it kind of is follow up to cloak of deception. In cloak we see how plap manipulates the situation so that he can become chancelor. In this book we see him putting the last few pieces into place before he takes over.

I really like the obi wan and anakin dynamic. It was kind of sad in a way, because we know what ultimately happens to these two. The plot of the book was very well planed out. I also like learning more about grievous. I also like how luceno incorporates elements from the other clone wars stuff.

I didn't like dooku's portrail. He was retarded. He really doesn't get that palp wants anakin to take his place. Dooku's been around for a long time, i would think that he wouldn't be so nieve. The first half of the book could of used a bit more action, but it wasn't bad.

20. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    This book made me sad. While reading this I truly realized that all of the Jedi I've read about since 1999 are about to perish in the purge. I obviously don't know what'll happen in III but I assume that all the Jedi we know will die. While reading about Mace, I thought, he has, what? A week to live? Maybe even less.

During this book I could sense that things were coming to a close. The final act of this three act tragedy is about to arrive.

I could give a detailed review and examine the book but no matter what I can't show you how excellent this book is.

I was completely blown away.

10/10

21. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    10/10

Greatest novel of the Clone War. Felt so good to finally know what was going on in the Galaxy during the Clone Wars. And I finally found out who was winning. The book made the Clone War feel epic for the first time.

It was also nice to see all the characters get used. Even small cameos from people like Jan Dodonna were nice. Glad to see he got his Star Destroyer.

LOE is a great novel, and Jameo Luceno is quickly becoming my favorite Star Wars arthur.

22. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    10/10
    This is BY FAR my favorite EU book I have read. The fight scene between Mace and Grievous, the relationship between Obi-Wan & Anakin, the search for Sidious, finding out about who ordered the clones, Grievous's history. All done so well. Luceno created a masterpiece.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'll just copy and paste my comments from the discussion thread:

Minor things that annoyed me:

1. Darth Maul was never referred to by his title when the narrator took the "good guys'" POV-- only "the horned Sith" or something similar-- as if the Jedi didn't learn of his name. Yet in previous sources, Obi-Wan and other Jedi think of "Darth Maul" and refer to him by title. A minor continuity error, but, like I said, an annoyance.

2. Padme's pregnancy was only alluded to. AW, COME ON! It's not as if it isn't obvious she's pregnant in Revenge of the Sith. Even when the narrator takes her point of view, nothing is stated outright. In fact, the only thing that gave us any indication of her pregnancy was her "feeling faint."

3. Anakin's worried about Padme, but we're not told exactly why(it's revealed in RotS, so I can't get into it). Luceno could've revealed more without spoiling anyone.

Enough of the flaws, some of the highlights were:

1. Grievous' origin; he was made much more three-dimensional, and he likely won't be fleshed-out in RotS.

2. The constant foreshadowing. I can see why people would find it annoying, but I thought it was amusing how Luceno creatively interjected some of it(i.e. the tractor beam reference).

3. Mon Mothma fighting alongside Padme and Bail against giant droids. Awesome.

4. Mace DEFEATING Grievous. Granted, Mace only broke the draw when the General slipped-up, but it was cool to see the droid leader was still fallible.

5. The Intelligence guy and Valiant's commandos getting so close to Sidious and being owned by the assassin droids. Though I wish Palps had taken care of them himself...

6. Palpatine's Royal Guards holding their ground against Grievous' Elites. They actually took out a few before the General dispatched of the four no-name Jedi and finished off the guards himself.

7. Palpatine's capture by Grievous. He turned into Darth Sidious at that point, and the General didn't even realize it. The mind-tricking was especially cool.

8. The Battle of Coruscant. With the RotS spoilers I got the impression that Coruscant itself was largely unaffected and that the Seperatists merely captured Palps with the vast majority of it happening in orbit. I'm glad I was wrong.

9. Anakin taking out the ceiling over him, Obi-Wan and Dooku, purely with his rage. A little foreshadowing there. ;)

Overall, 9.25/10.

24. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    9. Anakin taking out the ceiling over him, Obi-Wan and Dooku, purely with his rage. A little foreshadowing there.

Are you talking about Jacen in traitor when in his rage he pulls the ceiling down on him with Vergere and Nom Anor still there

25. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    7/10. Maybe more detail later. But in essence, competently written but it needed to have a more cohesive plot.