main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: LABYRINTH OF EVIL (spoilers - but not for EPISODE III)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jan 24, 2005.

1. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Being very spoiled for ROTS, I knew that going into LoE, I would know how everything here would end. That being said, I could not have expected a better read. Every character was written extremely well, espically Palpatine. The way he used the Mind Trick on Greivous near the end of the book made me break out in a huge grin. Greivous was also really fleshed out well, which made me appericate that new character even more. I love Luceno's constant name and tibdit dropping, and this book had all of that. And the last 1/3 of the book with the beginning of the Battle of Courscant was extremely exciting to read. As good as a teaser, this book has me in full fanboy mode for ROTS, and I give it my highest recommendation. 10/10

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 31 reviews: 282.95/31 = 9.13

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Just finished LoE a little while ago. Great read that was absolutely loaded with action the last 75 pages or so. Greivous was pretty cool and I love how this book takes places ends literally seconds before RotS (although I am rather surprised that something as major as Palpy's abduction would take place off screen, but I also give GL credit for letting Luceno do that in his book). Speaking of Palpy, I also liked the little mind trick he pulled on Greivous at the end there. Once again Luceno shows just how adept he is at mixing political intrigue with edge of your seat action (the Mace/Greivous duel comes to mind) and this book was definitely a quick, pleasurable read, even more so after dissapointing novels like Jedi Trial and Dark Rendezvous. I give the book a solid 9 / 10.

The only thing that bothered me a little bit was the continuing mystery regarding Sifo-Dyas and the clone army. Even though at this point in time that really isnt all that important is still kind of bothers me, mainly because it just seems to unnecassarily confusing. Similarities between Sifo-Dyas and Sidious aside, it still seems rather strange to me that GL would choose an anonymous, never before seen Jedi as the one to make such a pivotal decision (and right under the noses of the JC, but thats another story entirely). Anyone else agree ?

Question: Where is Ventress at this point in the timeline ? The way she was referred to throughout the novel I got the impression that she was dead (or at least assumed to be dead). Did this happen in a recent comic or something ?

4. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    In Obession, most likely.

Finished this up at about 11:45 last night. Blew through it in two days, and it's not often I can do that. Absolutley terrific book. 10/10, I'll post some more thoughts later when I'm back from school.

5. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Okay, let's go.

Luceno has done it again. Labyrinth of Evil was an utterly fantastic book - the best one in the Prequel era so far. Even though we know the ending (battle on Coruscant with the Chancellor captured), Luceno still writes with a suprising amount of tension and excitement. I really liked how the tranceiver was part of the mechno-chair, tying the story in deeper with the films. Obi-Wan and Anakin's chase across the galaxy was very good fun, and the diverse environments they visited were all interesting and their antics (battle in the factory, escape from the prison block, chase in the snow) were all great fun to read. The Battles of Cato Neimodia, Beltane and Tythe were all exciting and of a suitably epic scale, to say nothing about the climactic Battle of Coruscant (in a word: breathtaking). Scenes like Mace versus Grievous atop the hover train, Anakin and Obi-Wan confronting Dooku on Tythe, Mace and Shaak Ti's search for Sidious at the Works were all brilliant. And the ending of the book - the final two chapters, in which Dooku and then Kenobi and Skywalker head towards Coruscant - was beautiful. Bittersweet, almost, and full of uncertainty.

As I said above, 10. This book was perfect.

6. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I was really disappointed with the start of the Clone Wars novels (Shatterpoint, the Cestus Deception, and Jedi Trial were all pretty bad, IMO), but the final three novels (yes, I'm calling this a Clone Wars book :p) were outstanding. Dark Rendezvous was great and Hard Contact was nearly as good-- but Labyrinth of Evil is on another level. Not only the best of the Clone Wars, but easily the best prequel novel ever.

This is one of the best Star Wars books you will find, and probably the best since some of the early NJO.

I was very happy to see Anakin and Obi-Wan together throughout, when the two have been seperated in the majority of Clone Wars novels. Luceno's characterizations are very good (not quite as impressive as I thought Dark Rendezvous short scenes of Obi and Ani were, but still strong) and the fact that he had them going from one adventure to another, slowly uncovering the identity of the Sith Lord was very exciting.

It should also be noted that Luceno's Mace Windu is far better than Stover's, and he did it in a lot fewer pages [face_laugh]

But what I liked best about this novel was probably that it is a Star Wars fan's dream! It ties up more loose ends than I've seen any books due since Zahn's work. We find out pretty much everything you wanted to know about Sifo-Dyas, we get all the background info on General Grievous, hints that Padme is pregnant (I think it might be twins!), and a whole lot of foreshadowing of terrible things to come.

Watching Palpatine and Sidious work their schemes, all the while the Jedi slowly begining to catch on made for some enjoyable reading. How great was it when the Republic technician saw who the Dark Lord really was before he died?

The action in the story was great with out becoming really ridiculous like Shatterpoint. Grievous was a frightening killing machine (though I'll be interested to see if he uses 4 blades in Ep3 and what that will look like o_O I had a hard time picturing how he would employ his feet to do that, but oh well) and the battle on Neimodia, Beltane, and Tythe were just amazing! Finally begining to see what Obi-Wan thought to mention to Luke what a great pilot Anakin was :p Finally, Mace's duel with Grievous was a nice addition as well ;)

I did not see Palpatine's capture coming at the end of the book! :eek: I thought for sure the Jedi would somehow rescue him, but it appears that Sidious got what he wanted.

The battle on Coruscant was awesome. Much better than Denning's attempt :p

The cliff hanger ending: loved it!

Also, Luceno's writing style seemed far more fluid than it has in the past. This was an incredibly fast read, while the descriptions were still vivid enough to give us a detailed impression of what was going on. Luceno's depth of knowledge of the Star Wars universe really shines in his references to obscure Clone Wars happenings, putting more context into his scenes.

There were only a few bad things about this book, and most of them were minor: First, even though I'm spoiler free for the next film, the problem with the prequel novels and the prequels themselves is that we basically know everything that's going to happen. I was never in fear for the lives of Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, or Padme. You know major villains are not about to die who are seen in the trailer for EP3 or in insider. This does take a lot of the suspense out of it, but I guess we all know that going into it.

The references to "homeworld security" and "the Triad of Evil," were annoying and I think, take the reader out of the fantasy that is Star Wars by bringing up very specific, current political editorializing. Even if it is a sentiment I agree with, I don't want to see Star Wars become the place for tackling these sort of things, as it dates the book in a way that takes away from the myth.

Another problem was the dialogue in some scenes. It seemed as though Luceno knew the points he wanted to hit in some conversations, but didn't really think out good ways to get there. Some of the exchanges between Anakin

Xammer likes this.
  7. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    So there it is finally.
    Finally, another great Clone Wars novel like Shatterpoint, perhaps even better, which got me reading all day and not wanting to stop.
    Finally, a book that I read in only one day, without a single boring moment.
    10/10, no less.
    This was the thing I was waiting for, the Clone Wars novel that makes me really look forward to Episode III.
    A great characterization of Anakin and Obi-Wan, without a whiny Anakin, without the 10000st padawan in self-doubt or the 20000th clone soldier discovering his humanity.
    All the great things I've been missing were there: Padmé playing a bigger role, Sidious' point of view, his plans, exciting battles on planets that weren't just some remote worlds no one cared about, the rise of Imperial propaganda ("nonhumans need not apply" etc.), Mon Mothma and Bail Organa starting to doubt Palpatine...
    Yes, finally a clone Wars novel worth its money.

The only question remains: Why didn't they do this earlier??

8. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Great Book. I really did enjoy this one as much as DR.

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 36 reviews: 331.55/36 = 9.21

10. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    After readint this, I have concluded this is one of my favorite SW books. The book was great, it had the eagerly-awaited General Grievous's history, Palpatine's deception was great, Mace vs. Grievous, and the Battle of Couruscant was terrific. I have very few complaints about this book, as it was extremely well-written. One part that was a bit confusing was when Sidious down in the tunnels then next page he was up as Palpatine again, in his office. He should of had a time elapse between those two scenes because it can be confusing.

11. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    Labyrinth was a great read. Gen. Grievous had a great part and Palpatine always has good parts in the prequel novels. 9.5

12. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Unless.... their not the same person....

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  14. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 37 reviews: 341.05/37 = 9.22

15. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    One part that was a bit confusing was when Sidious down in the tunnels then next page he was up as Palpatine again, in his office. He should of had a time elapse between those two scenes because it can be confusing.

The way I read it, there was a time elaspe.

Unless.... their not the same person....

Oh, don't start. :p

Oh, and I just finished it. 10/10. :)

If I had to complain about the book, I would have to say that it's made the three month wait till ROTS all the more annoying.

16. Jedi_Master_Forte

Jedi_Master_Forte Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2003
    10/10

WOW! That got me more hyped for Episode 3 than the trailer and that's saying a lot. There was so much in this novel that I don't even know where to begin. The plot was just amazing, and it explained many things about the prequels. I won't write a lengthy review but some of the highlights for me were: learning Grievious' past, Anakin's roof collapse incident, Grievious (everytime he was in it), Palpy getting kidnapped, and the clones stupid attempt at gettin Sidious w/o a Jedi or five in tow. Just so much greatness in one book.

Definitely one of the best EU novels ever and definitely the best prequel one.

17. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    i loved the beginning and the end. The rest was boring.

I'm not a huge Luceno fan. Stover has spoiled me. Anyways, I do like how the Ani/Obi relationship was done. Which is why I'm rating this book as high as I did.

7/10

18. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 40 reviews: 368.05/40 = 9.20

19. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I'm a little over a 100 pages into it. It is about what I expected, over-hyped, overly praised on the JC, and just typical Luceno. The man has a great vocabulary, but somehow messes up in the sequence of it. The name dropping is annoying and takes away from the plot. I'm not at all impressed and don't really want to continue at all. It is the same old Luceno, who would rather repeat a hundred stories that have already been told rather than telling a new one. I'm very bored with it and frustrated from reading it this afternoon.

It has lowered my expectations of Revenge of the Sith, so far.

-Seldon

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Ah, two frowns in the windstorm, at least.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    At least he actually read the damn thing. :D

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Hey, I gave 2/3 of it a generous five. So make that three frowns.

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Let it not be said I'm not flexible with the trends. I'm no Janos Slynt. Three frowns, then. [face_batting]

24. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I don't see what people don't like in this book. I guess I just love Luceno's writing.

25. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    After readint this, I have concluded this is one of my favorite SW books. The book was great, it had the eagerly-awaited General Grievous's history, Palpatine's deception was great, Mace vs. Grievous, and the Battle of Couruscant was terrific. I have very few complaints about this book, as it was extremely well-written. One part that was a bit confusing was when Sidious down in the tunnels then next page he was up as Palpatine again, in his office. He should of had a time elapse between those two scenes because it can be confusing.

Remember when Shaak Ti said she had just been at his apartment and he wasn't there? And then when she went back, he was? Where do you think he went? ;)

I just finished LOE today, and it by far is the best Clone Wars book to date. Gotta love that Palps. I got a dark sense of satisfaction when he used the mind-trick. I also know what happens next, so it made the book even more enjoyable.

And Grievous= :cool:

10/10.