main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: LABYRINTH OF EVIL (spoilers - but not for EPISODE III)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I liked all the insights into the Sith that the book gave tying in Darth Maul's ship & training with Dooku's & Grievous's training. Poor Sith Tricky thinks, pitiful creatures...

it gets a 10/10 for it's Sith secrets!

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    http://theforce.net/books/reviews/r_labyrinthofevil.asp

Review posted - 8.75/10

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Better reviewed than Dark Rendezvous, the sunbeam's shining on Mordor.

His continual exposition's a serious problem, but why doesn't he employ the "go with the flow" technique? You can accomplish in a a few scattered sentences what he does in a paragraph chunk. And we don't need to know every planet Cody has been to, right? . . . etc. ;)

4. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I liked the book, Luceno's become the go to guy for tying up a variety of loose threads for Del Rey and Star Wars (ala TUF). He did a yoeman's job with details upon details from many previous sources, which I didn't find too distracting like a friend of mine who read LOE has.

Alot of the other Clone wars books was just keeping the plate spinning, not really adding anything new to the story-like it was just being carried forward by the momentum of EP. II-but this one we finally get a progression a push, heck a dropkick in the buttocks to the story (finally the good guys getting close to discovering who Sidious is, and an overall sense that it was the beginning of the endgame with the attack on Coruscant). It was to me was the most satisfying thing about the book.

8.5/10

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Excellence posted on 3/5/05 3:21pm
    Rhonda . . . I [i]did[/i] actually enjoy Vader's characterisation in Shadows of the Empire, you know, despite the uniquely quixotic writing of the book. But it doesn't mean I'm not curious how the fella eats and later exudes for a cyborg. Or what the Korriban spooky clan will say to him if they met.

Does he dream of Padme or a TDL-3.5 Nanny droid? And if he doesn't shower, what's his aura like? [face_thinking]
    [hr][/blockquote]

Excellence, you worry me. [face_tongue]

Definitely Padmé. I think he probably misses A LOT of things about Padmé. [face_wink] It's not like he's doing that anymore.

6. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Well.... he does have some apple pie....

7. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Definitely Padmé. I think he probably misses A LOT of things about Padmé. ;) It's not like he's doing that anymore.
    It got burned off.

8. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    One thing that bothered me...the conversation between a silver protocol droid and C3PO.

How did he either know what was coming? Was he programmed to tell C3PO and others what he said or am I looking into this way too much? Propoganda scare droid?

That droid was TC-16, Gunray's former droid who ran after the troops discovered Palpatine in the tunnel. That's why he is so disturbed. He know's that Palpatine is a the bad guy!

I'd give the book a 9/10. I too thought that the references & forboding was overdone in places. Things irked me like how Obi says to Anakin "perhaps Qui-Gonn should have left you in Watto's junk shop". Unless I've missed something in some other EU Obi has never met Watto. Sure he may have heard the story of the events at Mos Espa but the way he spoke there suggests a familiarity with Watto. Better to have said "Qui-Gonn should have left you with that junk dealer on Tatooine".

It's nitpicky I know but just a few little things like that pulled me out of the story momentarily. Overall very good though with the intrigue surrounding Palpatine being the highlight.

9. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    I'd give the book a 9/10. I too thought that the references & forboding was overdone in places. Things irked me like how Obi says to Anakin "perhaps Qui-Gonn should have left you in Watto's junk shop". Unless I've missed something in some other EU Obi has never met Watto. Sure he may have heard the story of the events at Mos Espa but the way he spoke there suggests a familiarity with Watto. Better to have said "Qui-Gonn should have left you with that junk dealer on Tatooine".

Although I haven't read the book, so I can't exactly place the sentence into context, I do expect that Anakin has surely spoken with Obi-Wan quite a bit about his past, with Obi-Wan being his master and all. Seeing as how Watto was his master for quite some time as well(I think), it wouldn't be too much of a stretch if Anakin mentioned him every now and then.

10. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    you're right it's not a big deal. Still think my suggestion above would've been a better way for Obi to say it though

11. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Things I liked about the book-

1. How it flowed right into the beginning of Ep3

2. Battle Scenes

3. Detective-like writing of Obi and Anakin.

Now that is all of things I liked.

Things I didnt like about the book-

1. Triad of Evil= Axis of Evil

2. War based on Force= Holy War

3. 'It's the manuever that'll kill us' = 'It's the fall that'll kill us' Butch Cassidy quote from the movie.

4. The wimpy writing about Organa, just cause he's a pacifist shouldn't make him a hippy dippy freak show.

I give it a 4 or 5. It wasnt great and the politcal crap was unbearingly bad. I read it in like, 2 or 3 days, and now that I am done, I wished I took my time more, cause I was in a hurry to finish it, and its not worth hurrying for.

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 61 reviews: 551.4/61 = 9.04

13. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    My review:

Summary: In the weeks preceding the events of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, the Clone Wars rages on, with the Republic taking the initiative forcing the Confederation to the Outer Rim. In doing so, they come across something disturbing, a holoprojector left behind by the Neimodians. In the memory, a message from Darth Sideous is found, prompting a huge investigation by Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, who try to track down the maker of the device, while Mace Windu and Shaak Tii uncover clues on Coruscant to the Sith?s whereabouts. Meanwhile, the Confederation launches a massive attack on the Republic Capital, capturing the Supreme Chancellor.

What Worked: Labyrinth of Evil is probably one of the most chaotic, action packed and important novel of the Clone Wars era, bringing several different storylines together, while moving at a rapid pace to the beginning of the final Star Wars movie.
    The book is very dense, with every page bringing the plot forwards at a very fast speed. Over the course of the novel, we follow several different storylines. Anakin and Obi-Wan track down the maker of the holoprojector that?s found on Cal Neimodia, traveling to more worlds than most of the Clone Wars novels have been focused on together. Along the way, they find more and more clues to the maker of the device, and more importantly, who it was built for. And predictably, they?re forced to fight their way to or from each place, whether on the ground or in the air.
    Midway through the book, we split into a new search for the second Sith, Sideous. (Say that ten times fast.) Mace Windu and Shaak Tii are involved with this one, and they visit a couple of familiar places, the building that we see Sideous and Dooku in at the end of Attack of the Clones, where, Dooku is able to come and go as he pleases, despite the fact that it?s the Republic Capital.
    Finally, we see the massive attack on Coruscant, which will be featured in four different sources: Labyrinth of Evil, The Clone Wars Animated Series, Reversal of Fortune Webstrip and Revenge of the Sith. I was somewhat surprised at how much of the battle was covered in this novel, for I had thought that they?d be saving most of that for the movie. Indeed, much of this novel read like the perfect movie novelization. Luceano?s writing style is light and fast, extremely easy to get into.
    One of this novel?s strength?s is the sheer number of Expanded Universe references that it contains. I believe that almost every major event covered in most of the Clone Wars novels, comics, short stories and cartoons has been covered, whether it?s a simple name drop, or a major plot device. It?s very gratifying for a fan who?s read all of the books, to see that the author has done some, if not too much research into this project.
    Another of the novel?s strength?s is the action. It?s everywhere, being in space with dog fights, fleet actions, to ground combat with the ARC, Commando or regular Clone Troopers to the Jedi Knights. The light style of writing really adds to this and it doesn?t get bogged down too much with over detailing or complicating things to get the reader confused. It?s simple and straight forwards.
    In particular, there are several main fights and events that really stand out. The first is the investigation on Coruscant, when Mace Windu and others go after Sideous. They go in with Clones to be sure, but also intelligence personnel and probes, which is something that?s a little unexpected in a Star Wars novel. Second, the opening fight with the Cal Neimodia battle. It really showed off Anakin and Obi-Wan?s work together as they really do some fighting. Finally, the major battle at the end is huge, complex and fun to read. I really can?t wait to see the movie now.
    Character-wise, there?s the usual, and Luceano doesn?t really mess around with them too much. He seems to essentially take them from where they stand at various points in the Clone Wars materials out there to where they stand at the movie. We don?t see too much change, but some of the things that we do see

14. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    A fantastic read. None of the real life parallels bother me, so I had no issues with it.
    9/10

15. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 63 reviews: 568.4/63 = 9.02

16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I give this book a 10/10 rating. Very good book

17. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 64 reviews: 578.4/64 = 9.04

18. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    7 out of 10. I read Labyrinth a few weeks ago (I waited for the paperback version). I'll post a full review later, probably, but for now I'll simply say that, while it had some fun and interesting moments, this book simply felt as if it lacked focus. It struck me very much as a narration detailing a semi-connected series of events rather than a focussed story dealing with a cogent main theme. A little disappointing, perhaps, but a solid lead-in to Revenge of the Sith.

(I forgot to mention the convoluted tangle of continuity problems that arise when considering Labyrinth and Clone Wars: Volume II...but I suppose I'll have to read TNEC to sort those out.)

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 65 reviews: 585.4/65 = 9.00

20. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    10/10 IMO. My favorite SW book so far. I just loved to read about the Anakin/Obi-Wan team on a mission together.

21. Issolde

Issolde Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    It's definitely my favorite Star Wars book that I've read (though I've only read a small percentage of the novels), after the movie novelizations, and the only non-movie novel to actually seem like SW to me. The parts between Obi-Wan and Anakin were very satisfying, and the story was a perfect lead-in to ROTS.

I give a 9.9.

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Quality book. I really enjoyed the galaxy-hopping scope of the book, so different from anything else we've gotten about the Clone Wars. I would say that is the book's greatest strength. It's a good portrayal of Anakin and Obi-Wan just before events that tear them apart. I didn't notice any glaring weaknesses, other than the jerk-you-VIOLENTLY-out-of-the-story War on Terror references. I understand some of them were prexisting, but it was still incredibly stupid and annoying, and had no business in the book. All-around solid read, but not great. I give it an 8.7/10

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 68 reviews: 614/68 = 9.03

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Upping by request.

25. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Overall: 9/10

My fav of the Clone War books. the style of the others seem to be "pick a planet and focus on it" this is "see how many different planets we can go to". i liked the obi-wan/anakin detective half best even though mace and shaak ti were interesting.

this is the better battle compared to the cartoon IMO.

also grievous is great in this. in most of the other things he has been in we don't see some of his really terrible (meaning evil) tactics, like shooting on civilians to escape.

the reasons for the 9 is the cramming of inner dialog to reference another book or comic. LOE is incredibly better if one finishes it then immediately moves onto the ep3 novel or the movie.