main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: LABYRINTH OF EVIL (spoilers - but not for EPISODE III)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 623/69 = 9.03

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Having just read this for the first time, I regret not doing so until now. This would have been a very good read before seeing Episode III, probably the most cohesive lead-in of any of the prequel books. The pacing is one of the fastest I have ever read. The other reviewers aren't exaggerating when they say you can fly right through it. I especially would have loved to read this right before Stover's ROTS adaptation. I like the idea of reading about everyone despairing at the end of this book as Palpatine is taken away followed by Stover's description early in the next book where he notes that while detailing the hope the heroes of the Clone Wars bring with their arrival. It is certainly one of the better Clone Wars era books, though I'm not sure I prefer it to Shatterpoint. I do wish, though, that I'd read this before making my top 20 EU list.

As most have said, this book does show one of the best presentations of the Anakin/Obi-Wan friendship I've ever seen. That final moment between them is a great one and I can definitely see why Ben speaks with such longing and sadness in ANH. Getting into the heads of various characters is fun. Dooku provides some interesting insights, especially when thinking of Grievous and comparing his fighting style to Anakin and Obi-Wan. It's nice to get into Grievous' head as well. Grievous has a good showing in this book, though I still prefer his confrontation with Mace in the cartoon over this one.

All in all, an excellent read by itself and a terrific build up to Episode III.

9/10

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 632/70 = 9.03