main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books THE JC Lit Reviews Special: LEGACY OF THE FORCE: EXILE (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Feb 21, 2007.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The latest book in the Legacy of the Force series, and the first "repeat" among authors. Everyone has had their turn and we're back to Aaron Allston, who kicked it off with Betrayal. We're almost halfway through, folks.

Some rules: rate Exile on a scale of 1 to 10, supplementing your rating with a review, if you want to (It's not necessary but is highly encouraged). However, please do not rate or review the book until after you've read the whole thing. Thanks. :)

Go ahead and review.;)

Some previous review threads:

Republic Commando: Hard Contact, by Karen Traviss
    Shatterpoint, by Matthew Stover
    The Cestus Deception, by Steven Barnes
    Medstar I: Battle Surgeons, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Medstar II: Jedi Healer, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Jedi Trial, by David Sherman and Dan Cragg
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, by Sean Stewart
    Labyrinth of Evil, by James Luceno
    Revenge of the Sith, by Matthew Stover
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno
    Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine, by Veronica Whitney-Robinson
    Tatooine Ghost, by Troy Denning
    Survivor's Quest, by Timothy Zahn
    Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream, by Aaron Allston
    Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand, by Aaron Allston
    Traitor, by Matthew Stover
    Destiny's Way, by Walter Jon Williams
    Force Heretic I: Remnant, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Force Heretic II: Refugee, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Force Heretic III: Reunion, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    The Final Prophecy, by Greg Keyes
    The Unifying Force, by James Luceno
    Dark Nest I: The Joiner King, by Troy Denning
    Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen, by Troy Denning
    Dark Nest III: The Swarm War, by Troy Denning
    Outbound Flight, by Timothy Zahn
    Republic Commando: Triple Zero, by Karen Traviss
    Legacy of the Force: Betrayal, by Aaron Allston
    Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines, by

2. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I thought it came out next week.

3. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Yeah but some people got it early. I got it this afternoon.

4. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

How do people always manage to find new releases so early? Do certain websites ship them early?

5. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Certain book stores put 'em out early, too. Books a Million, for example.

6. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I put the thread up as soon as I see a couple people saying that they've read it. Which, for this book, means today.

7. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    That's where I got my copy today. I'd suggest everybody check their local bookstores just in case.

8. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    I got a copy at Wal-Mart yesterday. I just finished reading it tonight. It wasn't as good as Tempest, but it wasn't bad. There's a lot of politics in this one, as well as more Darth Jacen angst to set up Sacrifice. Ben gets a lot of page time, but isn't particularly likeable. The humor and dialogue are good, however, and the highlight for me was the few J/J/Z scenes, which should be enjoyable for 'shippers of both factions. (I'm a J/Zer, in the interest of full disclosure.)

I give the book a 6.5 out of 10.

9. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    Does it actually move the Darth Jacen story arc forward, or contain yet more battle scene filler?
    I've enjoyed the series for the most part, each book just has a couple scenes of Lumy dropping a cryptic(or nonsensical) bit of advice, and Jacen kind of drifting into Sithdom.
    When will the rubber hit the road?

10. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    hmm.[face_thinking] Well, Jacen continues drifting into Sithdom with the prerequisite battle scenes and cryptic advice, but plot developments are at least hinted at. Ben seems to be out of the running for Jacen's Sith apprentice. Jacen also decides that, whether they constitute his sacrifice or not, Mommy and Daddy have to die. I assume they're saving the rubber for Sacrifice, because I agree that there hasn't been much of it thus far.

11. Jedi_Earnhardt

Jedi_Earnhardt Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2006
    7/10

This wasn't as good as Betrayal, but it wasn't bad. You can tell Aaron Allston read some of the darknest trilogy and previous LOTF titles. Except for breaking the blockade and the formation of the Confederation, nothing major happens and no major characters die. Kinda like a filler book, before we get to Sacrafice. It was cool to see Lando again, all spiffy with his cane and the Looooove Commander. Kyp was limited but I really liked how he had Luke's back during the meeting with Omas and Niathal. Kyp still thinks making Jacen a master would bring Jacen back into the fold, but he wasn't going to betray Luke in front of those politicians, Loyalty like that will keep the Order strong IMO. Luke and Han making ammends was nice, I don't think I would have liked seeing them at odds for the whole series. The Horn and Antilles family was a nice addition, Myri is just as quick whitted as her father. When Jacen traveled to that space station for the vote on the new Supreme Commander, I thought we'd see something similar to Anakin going to Mustafar and taking out the Sep Leaders, but the Confederation got the drop on Jacen. This and Tempest didn't feature Jacen much, but hopefully he'll be more prominent in Sacrafice. The parts with Ben dragged a little, but turned interesting when he reached Ziost. I think this book lacked the surprise factor and no one major died, unlike the first three books. It's paperback though, if you got 8 bucks you should pick it up.

12. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    It was better than Betrayal and Tempest, but I did not enjoy it as much as Bloodlines.

It really, really annoys me that certain developments are... retracted. Like, in Bloodlines Jacen realizes he has to sacrifiece Tenel Ka and Allana and it breaks his heart - and then he spends all of Tempest and Exile claiming that he could never do that. And wasn't Zekk supposed to be over Jaina? Now, character can change their minds, and a decision doesn't have to be final, but I would like some explanation for it. Of course, I rather do enjoy the small fights between Zekk and Jag (though I'm starting to think that they'd be happier with each other than either of them would be with Jaina... [face_mischief] ) but still...

Jacen's character is developing nicely. Well, not nicely. But you know... it's very interesting to follow, and it's done rather well. It's just happening rather slowly, step by step and it's fascinating to watch how he becomes more and more twisted. And, in Exile, aggressive in a way he hasn't been before. Snaps at people, more prone to revenge, openly shows his anger... I don't think he even realizes it, but he's really becoming a true Dark Sider - and like all of them, he thinks he can control it. (Honestly, I can quite anytime I want.)

Alema Rar should die already. She's just annoying. She was an annoying, generic baddie in DN - she's no better now. Lumiya - no better and no worse than any other evil guy in SW galaxy. She will never be more than a pale imitation of Palpatine, but 'the puppet-master' is always a fun character.

The cover made me expect more Han and Leia, but I'm not complaining. Wedge and the rest of Allstone's favourites was nice - they usually are when he writes them. Not quite as much funny dialogue as I was hoping, but then again, this story is rather dark and you're probably not supposed to giggle your way through them.

The space battle was mercifully short (it was hardly even there, thank gods) and I did like the very-obviously-a-setup meeting where dear old Darth Stupid was made to look like a complete fool. *glee* It was heartening, and sad, to see that Mara, Luke, Han and Leia were all ready to dive in and risks their necks to save the prodigal son. However, how long is it going to take them before they actually accept that he is evil. Now, they wouldn't want to believe that of him - but Obi-Wan didn't want to believe it of Anakin (and one might argue that Jacen is much farther gone than Anakin was right up until the point where he actually snapped and started slaughtering children) and he still accepted the proof of his friend's corruption and went to kill him (which I disapprove of, too... Right, so there is no pleasing me). Maybe Luke and his friends do need a Yoda (the very thought of someone needing a Yoda! Argh!) to force them to face unpleasant truths.

But... even though these books still make me think of Darth Helmet's quote "evil will always triumph because good is so stupid" - or something along those lines - I do appreciate the fact that the good guys seemed a tad more intelligent and Jacen a tad more stupid in this one. More balanced this way. Still, Mara falling for Lumiya's planted datapad thingie? Oh, dear...

6/10. Of course, that scores reflects its standing as a Star Wars novel. It can't possibly compare to the stuff I normally read, but hey - it's Star Wars, and that always gives me a happy.

13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 19.5/3 = 6.5

14. DarthSanctimonious

DarthSanctimonious Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    Exile is the best LotF book so far in my opinion, and a vast improvement over Tempest. The characterizations were all recognizable and most of them good, nobody did anything implausibly and comically stupid, and the humor fit within the context of the story and scenes. Ben in particular is now a likable character again--the Ziost parts were probably my favorite chapter of the book. I liked seeing Lando, Corran, the Antilles family, and the Errant Venture again. As usual, Allston's greatest strength lies in making good use of original and minor characters such that the audience cares about them and they fit neatly within the context of a collaborative plot.

My biggest complaint with Allston's writing is his near constant use of "he did x, y, z" type lists. Example: "For one, he was fully open to the Force, letting it flow through him, sustain him, support him in the air". There's nothing wrong with this kind of sentence structure per se, but it tends to pop up a lot and gets repetitive and grating.

I was kind of miffed that Alema made it through the story in one piece, but then again she wasn't as obnoxious as in Tempest. The unexplained backtracking on issues such as Jacen's willingness to sacrifice Tenel Ka and Allana annoyed me as well, but Allston seems to be with the majority of authors on that plot point and so the inconsistency is neither his nor Troy Denning's fault.

The exception to my earlier statement to the effect that nobody did anything implausibly or comically stupid lies in the extensive use of disguises, most of which were eye-rollingly ridiculous and would serve more to draw attention to the wearer than anything else. Whatever happened to fake mustaches?

Rating: 8.5

15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 28/4 = 7.00

16. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So the galaxy is continuing to sink deeper and deeper into darkness, but at least in Exile it's going down with some of the best characters together again. I'm not ashamed to say that I miss those days when reading a SW book meant that you could just relax for a moment, knowing that in the end everything will be alright. Now after NJO and more and more with LOTF it's getting harder and harder to see any light in the end of the tunnel, yet Exile felt like a bit of a breathing pause. With Han and Leia meeting up with Lando and the Horns and Antilles at least it felt a bit like those old times. When I realised that I thought so I also realised how the people responsible have failed to create any new heroes that I might feel the same for. J/J/Z has potential, but their dealings will probably be forgotten in the next book or something.

Storywise I felt that the main importance of the book was to break up the blockade around Corellia, and make Ben start questioning Jacen. Maybe questioning is a bit of an exageration but at least he seems to have realised that Jacen is human too, I don't think Ben will wake up from his Jacen brainwash until what- or whoever is sacrificed by Jacen straight in front of him. At fist I thought the bits with Ben on his own little adventure were just boring, but they got really good once he arrived at Ziost.

My favorite thing in the whole book was when Wedge told Jacen that he was a fanatic, since he had totally lost all his sence of humour. Since I've felt that much of the SW novels have lost their sence of humour lately I think the people at Del Rey should really read that passage over and over again.

During the read I just wished that they could get rid of the bug on two legs, but at least she's funny in her total insanity.

8,5/10

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    First half of the book didn't strike me to well but the second half made up for it. I really liked this book after that second half. To me it made this book my favorite of the series so far. 9/10.

18. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005

Maybe I was just in a good mood when I read it, but I loved this book. I thought Ben was well-characterized, and his whole quest was quite compelling. I never read The Fall of the Sith Empire, but having a Sith Meditation Sphere appear was nevertheless a big fanboy moment for me. A fair amount of good action, good writing in general, pretty good continuity. Also, a lot of plot advancement, in terms of the actual war; the Confederation grows to 5 worlds, and the Alliance gets forced out of the Corellian system. Compared with Bloodlines and Tempest, or for that matter most other Star Wars books, I'd say that's pretty significant.

19. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 55.1/7 = 7.87

20. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    My copy has shipped. I'm eagarly awaiting it.

21. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    The official TF.N reviews of Exile are up HERE: click on the link to read more. Both the reviewers loved this book - I gave it the equivalent of 9/10 and Kidan gave it 9.25/10!

:D

- The Imperial Ewok

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    9 out of 10

Absolutely fantastic.

Allston does what he always does- writes a great story with characters well developed and space battles handled with care.

I give him high marks for several small bits that were awesome inclusions, including the following:

The Galactic Voyager. That was freaking awesome. Ackbar's old flagship is now used by Admiral Niathal.

Fyor Rodan. The old Commenorian senator is now the President of Commenor

I found it interesting that his portrayl of Admiral Niathal is far different from Karen Travvis's. Karen made Niathal out to be a totally ruthless and power hugary individual, while Aaron writes Niathal as more of a hard nosed military leader. A great example of how two authros can percieve the same character differently. And that is not a bad thing, IMO.

Ben Skywalker is really coming into his own. I enjoy reading him more than I did the Solo twins or Anakin at that particular age.

Allston also did a great job with Cal Omas. His line about him being "White haired, earnest, the deliberate embodiment of governmental sympathy and goodwill" hit Omas dead on. Omas only had one scence, but he appears less weak that he did in Bloodlines. Still being pushed around and overwhelmed, but it was nice to see Omas described in a good light.

Anyways, great book. :)

--Adm. Nick

23. Sabrajaguar

Sabrajaguar Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 22, 2001
    It was a well rounded story, And the Antillies family stuff was also good as well as Ben's adventure to Zoist and the Han/Leia/Lando stuff was terrific. The side stories could have been books on there own but For a series about Jacen Solo this book had not enough of Jacen in it. The firts few chapters delve deaply into Jacens mind. He makes several other apperances making Many odd dicesions...

1) Trusting the Female Smuggler that his actions wold have condemned to a lonely, slow and grizzly death in the emptnyness of space because she hurt his feelings. If I meet someone I had tried to kill I do my damndess to avoid them!

2) Blundering into a Trap. Im not saying the trap, screamed "Trap!" its just that isnt Jacen suppose to be mindful of his feelings? Wasnt his feelings telling him something didnt add up? didnt he thnik to himself there emotions arent indicatvie to the situation they are in?

3) the Sith Warp 5 engine.....Cause thats what the view dscribed. Not the molted purple sky of hiyperspace. But Black with the 'star stream' view of warp travel!

4) Jacen's stupididty...I mean we (The reader) have a god's eye view. But Damnit! He realizes he has a security breach. The passcodes is unassigned, Lumyia has had acess to your organization, There is a sith in your employ, Someone is using half truths and lies to turn other worlds against the Alliance......It dosent take a genious to atleast becaome suspecious of Lumyia.

Its like watching Startrek while the ships Sheilds ar failing. Only its Jacens BRAIN!

Kyptan! The I.Q is failing we havent tha' Power!

I.Q 50% and faliling!

>shaking<

I.Q at 39% and Failing!

>More shaking, Crewman Jacen is thrown across the bridge by and exploding console<

Kyptan! We have lost I.Q! We have no Intellingance!

For the All non-Jacen Characters I have to give it a 10!

Minus 3 for the Jacen Stuff equals 7!

But then the Taras-chii!?

Effing Devil Advocate! in 25,000 years of spacetravel no one has ever came up with Devils Advocite!

Mr. Omas please!

Deduct 1 point! Pray that I do not deduct furthur!

X-play gives this one a 6 out of 10!

Yes I know x-play works off 5 star maximum rating system! Dont make me force ckoke you!

24. Bringbacknom

Bringbacknom Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2006
    Tied equal with Tempest, Bloodlines just behind. The Bimmiel situation finally sorted!

First off - continuity has obviously been taken a lot more seriously this time, and Allston redeems the series in terms of the continuity lapses; hell, its done down to the same Neimodian manager of the tower block. It was obvious he'd taken the time to read the other novels, and Boba Fett was actually acknowledged

Second - Fyor Rodan! Galactic Voyager! Ganner Rhysode (reference)! Almania!
    its a recent Star Wars book which actually acknowledges stuff outside of LOTF and DN. It's just good to see stuff still there so it doesn't make it so obvious that they were created for the novel's use only.
    still...Gyndine's shipyards are back...Hutt space is still strong. The Yuuzhan Vong happened!

I quite expected Tarla Limpan to go out in a blaze of glory before she's forgotten until book 7. The retaking of Corellia was great, and Turr Phennir at the end was a nice addition

I wanted Nek Bwua'tu and Traest Kre'fey cameos but ah well...we got CORRAN back thank the lord. people say he's had so much time invested in him as it is but surely that means he can't drop off the map
    Klauskin's back; i liked the idea of having seeds of influence in people which she can exploit - the scene on the frigate was pretty cool.

So before i get onto other stuff...the universe was heavily referenced and utilized and the book felt welcome because of it. Stuff like Operation Chasin helps give it that feel that we're in the galaxy, and past history has pretty much happened

Anyway; enough about characters. In terms of the book it was engaging and pretty funny at points. The Katarn line "talk about straying off the subject" to Corran, or soemthing along those lines, was great, and the Lando/Han interaction was solid.

Tycho! Winter! Belinda Kalendi! all we need now is Nylykerka and i swear half the books written have been referenced.

Other than me raving about stuff, i thought it was good that there was no forced battle at the end. Didn't quite get the Denjax Teppler/return to Corellia bit but otherwise the places they visit were good. Lumiya's scenes did give concise pictures of her character, though its clear she's playing everyone for fools. Her duel with Luke at the end was weird...i don't get what she's up to. My only reservation was it was different to the whole "LAY DOWN YOUR BLADES AND KNEEL" approach of Tempest.

Where was Aurra Sing?

I'm not really being coherent here...im still having the come down after a power read. but i reckon its a good addition to the series, and its clear that things aren't going to slow down from here on out.

I wonder what the Sith meditation has to do with anything? Jacen's character wavers a little - i wasn't overly fond of Wedge running rings around him in their argument. Though his leaving his family was great. Its cool to see the Solos and Skywalkers back - especially the Errant Venture scenes. AND LANDO.

Allston shoiws he actually cares about the other characters - Alema was portrayed as in Tempest, Jag was still bitter but lightening up. The Sword of the Jedi discussion ws interesting; its not like Lost - plotlines are more or less becoming consistent.

ok...no-ones read all of this so sorry for the waste of page.

ps - anyone get some of that Sacrifice excerpt? Bogden!

25. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 97.15/12 = 8.10