main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: MEDSTAR II: JEDI HEALER (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 11 reviews: 73.9/11 = 6.72

2. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I haven't read this one yet. I am going to be getting it soon.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm in the "7" range myself.

I also agree anti-climax, but I-5 and Den make up for a lot of ground. I didn't like the spy resolution because it didn't make any sense, metaphysically according the the alrady established universe rules, and I didn't like that it took Barriss Offee about 150 pages too long to realize the trap of the bota. I did like the great-uncle and the Black Sun operatives though.

4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    So should I count that as a 7?

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes.

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 13 reviews: 86.9/13 = 6.68

7. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Wow. This book's not doing so well. I'm enojying this one more than the first curiously enough. Does it like bomb out at the end or something?

8. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2004
  9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 14 reviews: 96.9/14 = 6.92

10. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    JH is my favorite of the Clone Wars books so far, although granted, that's not too hard to do.

Most of you know that I have felt that the books have horribly represented the Clone Wars. For me the worst was TCD(it was like Del Rey did a big ol' **** you to me) but we seem to be getting out of that hole now.

Specifically JH deals with the Clone Wars on a small and large scale. There's the small emotional conflict's throughout it and the big 'splosions at the end.

Bariss Offoe became an inteterestin character so it automatically gets high points for that. I really liked I-Five in this one and Jos was a really well-rounded character as was his uncle. Tolk bored, me though. Den was a hoot and Kaird was okay if a little pointless.

I would've liked more action but I can't blame the authors just because the last few books haven't dealt with the Clone Wars.

So kudos to Mr. Reaves and Mr. Perry. A job well done.

8.8/10

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    wow, this is getting pretty low marks...

12. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I wonder why

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 15 reviews: 105.7/15 = 7.05

14. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Just finished it-- a very quick and easy read, much like the first one. I'd give it a 7/10.

This was certainly a decent story with some memorable lines and interesting characters. It didn't bother me that some of the characters, like Kaird, were just thrown in there. His story was actually pretty interesting. Uli was a nice addition too. But, as others have said, the book didn't seem to explore much new ground with characters from the previous book. It's probably more realistic that way, but I found myself wanting something more.

The most exciting thing, for me, was finding out that Tolk was not the spy. I was really worried for a while there.

15. HanSolOKniser3

HanSolOKniser3 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    I liked this book better than Battle Surgeons.

I'll give it an 8 out of 10.

Interesting characters. Interesting location. Interesting topics of exploration. Interesting situational modifiers. Interesting book.

[face_peace]
    :D
    [face_monkey]

16. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 17 reviews: 120.7/17 = 7.1

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

From the first few chapters, it was painfully obvious Klo was the spy. Tolk should have been left open as a possibility.

18. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I liked this book, I really did. I really liked how each character was presented, and the bota subplot was fascinating, to me anyway. But the end, well there's the problem. The end battle was horribly underdeveloped, the spy situation was taken care of way too easily, and Tolk wasn't the spy. I really wanted her to be, just to really hit it close to Jos. It was just very anti-climatic, and I didn't like it. It was a great book for the first 5/6, but then bombed out. 6/10

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 19 reviews: 135.2/19 = 7.12

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Anyone else read it yet?

21. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Yes, I read it and I was disappointed. I would give it a 7 out of 10.

I was looking forward to seeing some romance in the novel, but the relationship between Jos and Tolk was almost like a footnote in the story. I think the first book was much better.

Still, I have read a lot worse.

AG88

22. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    6/10 for the first was better simply because this book is a bit more of a rehash then it should of been.

23. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    I finished the book last night and, as with Medstar I: Battle Surgeons, I was very impressed.

I've read a lot concerning how people feel about the "repetitiveness" of this novel - they feel that it seems like a re-hash of its predecessor. However, I feel that Medstar II: Jedi Healer was more of a continuation than a re-hash. Let me explain.

In the first novel, we are introduced to Jos Vondar, the chief surgeon. We follow his emotions as he struggles with the concept of accepting clones and droids as beings who are, in a sense, true sentients. Jos also struggles with love, due to the traditions of his family in the Corellian system. In the second novel, Jos' emotional turmoil is continued - he has now accepted clones and droids, and is now in a relationship with Tolk. Clearly, this is a continuation, not a re-hash.

Many of the other aspects of the story also demonstrate that Jedi Healer is a continuation rather than a re-hash - Barriss continues to strive towards her Knighthood, Klo Merit continues his work as the spy, and I-Five continues (and completes) his search for memory. All the characters are continuing what they began in Battle Surgeons, striving to sort out some issues in their minds that they have been working on for a while.

What I loved the most about the Medstar Duology was the characters. While most of the other Star Wars novels do deal extensively with characters, they usually do so whilst the characters are in the midst of a war zone. This time around, however, the "war zone" is quite a different one - it is a medical war zone. As such, the environment is much smaller-scale, which allows for a more personal sort of story than we've seen before. I enjoyed the moral and emotional struggles of the characters, watching them progress through their troubles and work it all out.

One final note on the characters: most of them were completely new ones, that had not been seen before this Duology. I was impressed with the authors' ability to make me care about the characters and what happened to them (especially Jos, Den and Uli). Excellent work, Mr. Perry and Mr. Reaves! :) ;)

Although I'd been spoiled about Klo's true nature, I still managed to find some surprises in this novel. I was completely surprised by the malfunctioning of the force-dome, causing the snow that seemed so out-of-place, given the previous descriptions of Drongar's humid and foul environment. I was also surprised by the potent effect of the bota on Barriss - just think of what Obi-Wan and Anakin could have done against Dooku with some of that! Finally, another small surprise was the appearance of the Republic's Venator-class Star Destroyer. I hadn't read about SD's in the Clone Wars before this, so I'm assuming this was their first appearance (chronologically) in an Expanded Universe novel?

I only have one or two gripes with Medstar II, and they're only minor ones at that. Firstly, I found it a little odd that Barriss would through back her head and laugh, in the middle of a battle, at discovering that she alredy was a Jedi Knight. Secondly, while I understand Klo Merit's reasoning for wanting to exact vengeance upon the Republic...what superweapon were they testing that caused the solar flare in his system's star? It seems to be hinting at the Sun Crusher to me, but I was under the impression that it wasn't conceived until Tarkin began the Maw Installation? Still, if the Death Star can be thought of by the Separatists, I guess the Sun Crusher can be thought of by the Republic.

Overall, an excellent book, just as good as the first - making Medstar a great Duology all round, and a good addition to the Expanded Universe.

One final note: it did not bother me that the ending was wrapped up quickly, nor did it bother me that the book was severely lacking in the action department.

Rating: 9.5/10 :D :cool:

24. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I haven't written my review yet, but I'll give it a 9.5 as well. I really enjoyed both books in this duology.

25. james_hewlett

james_hewlett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2004
    Picked it up today, (damn the UK and it's later release dates) really enjoying it so far. have avoided any spoilers so far, but i'll rate it when im done, im sure it'll be high, i loved the first part, so i cant see this one getting worse.