main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: Rebel Dream (RD Spoilers imminent)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Caine, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Uhm I'm too lazy to go back and change it. :) As a warning, I'm counting your first rating if you give me more than one! :p

24 votes reporting.

JC Lit Average Rating of RD = 215.85/24 ~ 8.99/10

I'm actually surprised that so far, I've given this book the lowest rating (7). :eek:

2. Steelzephyr

Steelzephyr Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2002
    Not deriding you or anything, Caine, but would you mind telling us why you gave the book only a 7 while everyone else is rating it so highly? Was it the jokes or the style? I'm in a lit class now and I like to see what other people think of books to help me with my analytical skills and hearing the bad of something is helpful.

3. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

No problem, Steelzephyr.

Honestly, I didn't believe a 7 necessarily qualifies as a bad mark. When I think of 7, I think "Above Average." But with respect to some of the other marks here in this thread, it appears pretty bad! :p

When I stack up RD with other NJO books, I feel it falls short of a few of them: Hero's Trial, Balance Point, Conquest and Star by Star, particularly. Hero's Trial (a 10/10 in my book) gave us a narrow focus, and one in which we grew to care and sympathize with Han's character in light of Chewie's death. Not only that, I found the plot thrilling and captivating throughout: and with Han chaotically and unknowingly in the middle of it all. Luceno's writing style is also very precise and active in setting up the stage. BP introduced and furthered some much-needed personal battles and confrontations. Conquest added gravity to an already grim situation for the Jedi. SbS reinstated an epic feeling to this whole series.

I'm always looking for "something more" in literature, and I didn't feel RD particularly delivered in this respect. RD was fun, funny and upbeat. Nothing wrong with that at all (especially now in the story arc). But I feel an accurate rating must reflect that.

4. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Up for people wanting to review/rate.

5. Risste

Risste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2001
    My rating: 9.9/10
    Comparisons:
    EoVC: 8/10
    SBS: 7/10

I loved finally getting some Wedge material again, and the Lando sections were great.

Operation Emperor's Hammer was most satisfying. AA has written a novel close to my view of the perfect book at this time in the NJO.

The levity made reading this book soooooo enjoyable after SbS and DJ. I can't wait for RS...

6. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

25 votes in.

JC Lit Average Rating of RD = 225.75/25 = 9.03/10

7. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

The ceremonial "up" for review.

8. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998

The suspense, surprises, battles, tactical meetings, character portrayals, and humor all made this one of the best EU novels I've ever read.

9. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 26 votes.

JC Lit Average Rating of RD = 235.25/26 ~ 9.05/10

10. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Wow...breaking a nine, thats pretty impressive.

11. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    I give Rebel Dream an 8.5/10. Great book. It was great to see Lando back in action and cracking some great one-liners. It was also nice to see Iella again, and i enjoyed seeing at least a little more characterization of Danni. Some comlaints: way too short, it was the quickest read for me so far, less than 2 days. And i usually try to space books out so they last longer. Also, there wasn't even any mention of Myn Donos. He was my favorite wraith and i want to know what happened to him!

FOR COMPARISON:
    Vector Prime- 10
    Onslaught- Don't remember
    Ruin - Don't remember
    Hero's Trial- Don't remember
    Jedi Eclipse- 5
    Balance Point- 6.5
    Conquest- 9.5
    Rebirth- 7.5
    Star by Star- 10
    Dark Journey- 7

12. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Very impressive, although I'm not sure how accurate it is.

If some believed the book was so-so or above-average, they may not particularly care to vote.

13. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

27 votes in.

JC Lit Average Rating of RD = 243.75/27 ~ 9.03/10

14. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Your ritual "up."

15. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    9.5 Great to see the characters interacting. The scenes with Lando and 11a were great and the Wedge scenes are always great. Only draw-back was no immediate gratification on the goddess plot but I am guessing that will come in Rebel Stand.

16. Mira_Terrik

Mira_Terrik Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    I give a very enthusiastic 9.5 to REBEL DREAM. I've been a Wedge fan for years and once again, AA delivers with a great characterization of him. I agree with all those who thought Lando was great. I just loved how he was written! I'm too old for this, I need a drink... That had me in hysterics when I first read it. The orbital bombardment was definitely the hightlight for me. I can't wait for REBEL STAND! :D

17. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Rebel Dream: 9/10
    I liked the return of Wedge, Tycho, and Nem Yim, the Tsavong Lah/Shaper conflict, Luke finally going on a mission, the Jaina/Jag romance, Tsavong Lah's father taking command of Fleet, the New Republic finally winning a real battle, and the Lando/YVH 1-1A relationship. I didn't like the Jaina/goddess deception, the not to inventive tatics of Wedge, Czulkang Lah's only sending ground forces to attack the base, and Czulkang Lah's bad tatics.

Dark Journey: 6/10
    Star by Star: 10/10
    Rebirth: 9/10
    Conquest: 9/10
    Balance Point: 4/10
    Jedi Eclipse: 5/10
    Hero's Trial: 5/10
    Ruin: 7/10
    Onslaught: 7/10
    Vector Prime: 9/10

18. Yodarth

Yodarth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    9. It was great work. It didn't create something and have it get eliminated right away, but it created a lot of hope for future books and it had a gerat story of its own. It was different from the early pattern, where you could almost summarize a book as Yuuzhan Vong take this world and this world. It had meaning, and the characters weren't just thrown in from another book or from the movies and you're expected to know their life story. It explained everything, and it made sense, and most importantly, gave me hope for the series.

19. ImperialGirl

ImperialGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    10 of 10. There's almost nothing I'd change. Aaron came through wonderfully. This is the first NJO book I've actually liked enough that I'd want to read it again.

Vector Prime: 6
    Dark Tide: Onslaught: 7
    Dark Tide: Ruin: 6
    Hero's Trial: 5
    Jedi Eclipse: 4
    Balance Point: 7.5
    Conquest: 8
    Rebirth: 7.5
    Star By Star: DNR
    Dark Journey: 8
    Rebel Dream: 10

20. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 32 votes.

JC Lit Average Rating of RD = 290.75/32 ~ 9.09/10

21. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Nice reviews!

Looks like as far as JC Lit is concerned so far, Rebel Dream is a blast!

Upping this baby again.

22. Yodarth

Yodarth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Just my comparisons to my rating of 9/10 from above:

Vector Prime: 7
    Onslaught: 8.5
    Ruin: 8
    Hero's Trial: 8
    Jedi Eclipse: 7.5
    Balance Point: 7
    Conquest: 8.5
    Rebirth: 8
    Star by Star: 7.5
    Dark Journey: 7

I like the Star Wars feel this one had. Where some of them are creating new things because they're run out of new ideas, Rebel Dream focused on things similar to the movies and the better books.

23. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Up. Let me know if anyone wants me to stop this.

24. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Up, once again.

25. Darth Predator

Darth Predator Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 1999
    8/10

Overall it was good. Lando was finally the Lando we saw in the OT. Seeing Wedge and Wraith squadron was the hightlight of the book. I also liked the Courascant was potratyed now that it's in Vong hands. My biggest problem with the book is it's just 304 pages. The book seemed rushed at parts, and the ending brought no closure to the story.