main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: REPUBLIC COMMANDO: TRUE COLORS (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 30, 2007.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The third installment of the Republic Commando series by Karen Traviss, we see the clones of Omega Squad desperately attempting to keep their blacker blacks and whiter whites in a world of poor-quality laundry detergent . . . and just wait until Niner finds out Atin put a red shirt in with his whites! Or something like that.

Some rules: rate True Colors on a scale of 1 to 10, supplementing your rating with a review, if you want to (It's not necessary but is highly encouraged). However, please do not rate or review the book until after you've read the whole thing. Thanks. :)

Oya!;)

Some previous review threads:

Republic Commando: Hard Contact, by Karen Traviss
    Shatterpoint, by Matthew Stover
    The Cestus Deception, by Steven Barnes
    Medstar I: Battle Surgeons, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Medstar II: Jedi Healer, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Jedi Trial, by David Sherman and Dan Cragg
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, by Sean Stewart
    Labyrinth of Evil, by James Luceno
    Revenge of the Sith, by Matthew Stover
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno
    Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine, by Veronica Whitney-Robinson
    Tatooine Ghost, by Troy Denning
    Survivor's Quest, by Timothy Zahn
    Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream, by Aaron Allston
    Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand, by Aaron Allston
    Traitor, by Matthew Stover
    Destiny's Way, by Walter Jon Williams
    Force Heretic I: Remnant, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Force Heretic II: Refugee, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Force Heretic III: Reunion, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    The Final Prophecy, by Greg Keyes
    The Unifying Force, by James Luceno
    Dark Nest I: The Joiner King, by Troy Denning
    Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen, by Troy Denning
    Dark Nest III: The Swarm War, by Troy Denning
    Outbound Flight, by Timothy Zahn
    Republic Commando: Triple Zero, by Karen Traviss
    Legacy of the Force: Betrayal, by Aaron Allston
    [link=http://boards.t

2. kttch809

kttch809 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    9 out of 10.

The one thing that brought this book down for me was the scene in Chapter 11 regarding the size of the droid army. I'd rather not go into too much detail about what was said there other than ask "Why can't we all just get along?"

3. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    It's good to be right. I think this book makes it clearer than any of Traviss's other work just how deceptive a thing tight third-person POV can be. Things like Vau's POVs, in which he relentlessly tells himself his, well, abuse of his "boys" is for their own good, and he doesn't have to tell them he's proud of them because they all know as he remembers his hatred of his abusive father . . . they show you that just because these people think it doesn't make it true. And Sev's POV is just . . . incredible. I love it. This has all the intellectual punch I expect from Traviss, though I think some things are accepted a bit more easily than they ought to be -- especially by Etain -- and the pace of action picks up nicely too, with major events happening right and left. We're also getting a far better feel for the larger cast of characters, and it's interesting to see just how openly everyone is acknowledging the formation of Kal's little clan, his private army fighting his private war. Things are clearly moving into place for the endgame.

9.5/10

4. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 18.5/2 = 9.25

5. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Not much feedback on this one, that's a shame. This was a solid book. I love how all of the clones have their own personalities, and i love seeing how they interact with the outside world. I also thrink traviss did a really good job weaving in the threads about science and ethics without being too heavy handed. I also like how the book looked at our humanity, the good side, and the bad side.

9.4, it looses points for being a bit slow and for etain saying reckon.

6. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 27.9/3 = 9.30

7. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Made of win and awesome. Like all the Republic Commando books.

Now maybe this isj ust because I love Mandalorians to death, but really, superb book. Sev and Walon Vau had to be my favorites. They are noble, Mando'ade warriors...but they are a bit rough, even for Mandos.

So yeah. 9.3. Loses points for being a bit slow at points, but still is awesome.

8. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 37.2/4 = 9.30

9. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Once again Karen Traviss delivers another terrific novel featuring our favorite clones, who are quickly becoming more human than many of the other characters that we've encountered in SW lit over the years. I thought that the first quarter of the book was kind of all over the place but things really picked up once Omega got off of Gaftikar. Traviss' military knowledge is scary, too, and really sets this series apart from the rest of the pack. Im dying for Order 66, even though I know its going to end in tears...

9 / 10

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 46.2/5 = 9.24

11. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I loved this book. I found myself once again caring for these people far more than any SW book has made me care for any characters. The bonds between the characters makes for a powerful read and it makes me both anxious and afraid to get Order 66, because I know the relative happiness here cannot last. Karen Traviss has another smash hit on her hands here, and I'd encourage anyone who likes anything GOOD to read this. 9.5/10

12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 55.7/6 = 9.28

13. colojedi7

colojedi7 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    A great read. I think it is the best of the three RC novels so far. I think it was fast-paced and engaging. A couple of negatives are too many references that pull us out of the Star Wars Galaxy (like diapers, other clothes that sound modern) and of course her dislike of Jedi. I give it 8 out 10.

14. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 63.7/7 = 9.10

15. Monosyllabic

Monosyllabic Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2007
    9.5 / 10

So far I've loved every one of Karen Traviss' Star Wars novels. I think her LotF novels are so far the best of the three authors as well. I really enjoy the details she adds about the galaxy as a whole and she does such a great job sucking you in I usually end up devouring her books in one or two sittings. I always enjoy the pacing and characters. I really can't complain about any of her books this one included. The only complaint some people might have is that there wasn't a whole lot of action but it didn't bother me in the least.

This series is great and I can't wait for the last one.

16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 73.2/8 = 9.15

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Due to a heavy travel and work schedule, I just got around to finishing this last night. Really, really liked it.

Some base complaints about technology aside, I think I was struck by feeling a bit more of the "author's intent as chatacter POV" in this book (regarding Mandalorian subculture in the GAR, Jedi feelings, comparison of Manadalorian and Jedi cultures, etc.) which is... unfortunate, whether true or not.

That being said, it was a fantastic read and I really liked much of the themes. Also *really* liked Jusik in the book (and as a stark contrast to Etain who is still in the running for me as "Worst Jedi Ever") though it seemed like a jarring tonal shift to me from his character in 000 (although I don't have my book unpacked to verify that, sadly). And no, it has nothing to do with the fact that I had an RPG character who acted much the same way to the Jedi Council in one of our campaigns! :p

So, I'd give it a solid 8.75 out of 10 (10 - 0.5 for tech gripes, -1.0 for authorial intent and +0.25 for making me really believe Ordo blew the crap out of datachips for several chapters even after me thinking "It's a trick, I knew it all along!")

18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 81.95/9 = 9.11

19. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Just finished RC: TC.

I don't quite know how to phrase what I think of the novel. Its a bit spacey, a bit jumpy, and practically it doesn't follow much of SW in any sense, yet its completely into the SW universe.

You really have to look at this, and the other RC novels (and even Karen's LOTF novels) in a half-faceted light. On one hand she makes the Mandalorians out to be like the 'good-ol' boys' of our world, ie. her beloved soldiers.

On the other hand, you can see the hypocracy of the Mandalorians (as well of course the Jedi). Even through the hypocracy you can still see how she loves her Mandalorians, and especially in this novel you actually see the downright distaste for Jedi that Karen has. I know there has been alot of debate on her intent with her novels and how much of a heavy hand she uses, and I buy into both sides of the argument for the most part. Especially with the Mandalorians. But with the Jedi.... she is 100% heavy-handed. She. Does. Not. Like. Jedi. Period. End. Period. Period. Period.

Delta's importance in this novel is so severely downplayed its almost inhuman, but, as this is more of a novel of Skirata and his "sons" than anything else - thats to be expected.

Basically that is what this novel is, Skirata. Skirata. Skirata. A charismatic man who seeks out people who need a new family and basically claims them, much like Mandalorians do, much like Jedi do. Look at his usage of Etain, Jusik, Delta, Vau, the Nulls, Omega, Beseny, etc.

I do like a few things. The underplaying of Palpatine's motives. I like the instutionalizing of the Orders, although I don't like how she specifically lays out what Order 66 states. In my mind it was more of an instutionalized at genetic's level type of thing rather than an Order that they follow through. As she has written out, it still leaves much room for, "Well, the Jedi are still my friends, so I won't shoot them." Which I guess will be the upcoming point to her next novel (Order 66).

Quick Question: Does Jusik add to the Lost Twenty since he left? I'm not sure how the whole Lost 20 thing works.

Continuing on with her playing up of Palpy's motives, like I said I like it for the most part. Theres a few things that worries me with Karen doing it due to her lack of intrisinical (butchered that spelling I'm sure) of StarWars. I would much rather see Luceno play with Palpy's motives than Karen, but this is a good hard-line for him to someday play with (looks at Sue/LFL/whoever to get that Plageuis novel reinstated).

I agree with DP4M about the Ordo/chips part. I KNEW there was a back-up. I JUST KNEW IT. But, of course she had me playing along though and wondering if there really was. In the end, I actually hoped there wasn't.

Didn't much care for the Ko Sai cop-out nor the one-paragraph "Etain had her birth." But meh, those are minor points ultimately.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10 ultimately. It was good. Its funny, for how many pages it both seemed to drag on, and fly by, it also both seemed like nothing much at all happened, yet alot happened. Its just one of those books where viewed one way you see one side of the things, viewed another you see another side of things. A theme I've noticed with Karen's RC novels, not so much her LOTF novels, but definitely her RC novels. Especially with her portrayels of the Mandalorians.

So, summary:

7/10
    Good, not great.
    Karen shouldn't ultimately play around with Palpy too much.
    Looking forward to Order 66.
    Don't like Karen's take on Order 66.
    We need more novels from grunt-clones, non-Nulls, non-ARCs, non-specialties.

20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Order 66 was never a genetically encoded command; it's always been a regular order that the clones chose to carry out as if it were any other order their superiors gave them.

Probably. I just hope it doesn't end up like the post-Order 66 Jedi Purge has so far. All the Jedi die! Except for the ones the authors like, that is.

Hopefully the clones in Dark Lord will always be the only ones who disobeyed. [face_praying]

Jusik wasn't a Master, was he? Anyway, the Jedi kind of stopped counting after Dooku.

21. PadmeA_Panties

Oct 25, 2003
    ...Is that stated anywhere? Because for some reason, I find it terribly hard to believe that 2 million clones who had fought and lived with Jedi for over 3-5 months would just suddenly go, "A-OK Mr. Dark Robes," when receiving a phone-call from some shrouded mystery guy. Maybe if it had been Mace Windu, General Zey, Chancellor Palpatine themselves, I could see that. But the indication from the movie where all they show is the two-three troopers, holding out their palm, receiving the message from an obvious Sidious - not Palpatine character, and then going into auto-kill mode on the Jedi.

22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 88.95/10 = 8.90

23. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I give it a nine.

9/10

24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 97.95/11 = 8.90

25. PadmeA_Panties

Oct 25, 2003
    Havac, an idea possibly for future review threads: Maybe after the link you give for each book review you also include its score. Like [Republic Commando: True Colors - Link] [8.90]