main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: SHATTERPOINT (SHATTERPOINT spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 25 votes: 228.5/25 = 9.14/10

2. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    I would say that this novel is a 10/10.

It gave an interesting point of view on war and showed us what it was really like, instead of it being glorified and having the good guys beat the bad guys. I enjoyed this novel a lot and found that I couldn't put it down. I would say that it is my favorite one so far.

3. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 26 votes: 238.5/26 - 9.17/10

4. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    Count me 10, too.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I just finished it a few hours ago.

9/10 from me.

-Evan

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ::reposts from discussion thread::

Finally finished Shatterpoint earlier this evening, and I must say that it was fantastic- truely one of the best SW books ever written. The main elements of the nature of war and the Jedi's role in it were great, but so were the small touches, like Mace's vision of the future, the Palpatine scene at the end (so frelling evil!) and the bit about Anakin there at the end, marvelous.

Also liked Nick quite a bit (even though I half expected him to spout "Mr. I-am-the-law!" at times, when he almost became a borderline Rob Schneider sidekick), he really had some very interesting character moments, and I hope we see him in the future.

THough I'll admit some of the trek to get to Depa dragged slightly, but even beyond that, Mace's entries made those sections remain consistantly interesting.

So, a 9.5/10

7. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 29 reviews: 267/29 = 9.21/10

8. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Hmm. Wasn't that great.

Yeah, the style and writing is amazing; probably the most organised yet complex styles in SW, but I'm bored of Stover's philosophy. He wants us to know the horror of war, but it was just a string of gruesome deaths split up by the journal extracts - which were interesting, I admit - and war philosophy. I didn't expect any less from Stover, of course, but it gets tired.

I even got bored of the book at one point. All they were doing was moving through the jungle looking for Depa, yet they didn't seem to be getting anywhere. Still, it picked up once Mace found her, and there were still great sections - Mace's vision of Yuuzhan'tar, Kar vs Mace fistfight - but near the end there was too much intrigue. Everyone seemed to be getting the upper hand with some masterplan or another, then suddenly Mace and Nick win, even though their guts are hanging out... [face_plain]

At least the beginning and the very end (Mace's thoughts on Anakin) were good...and Mace arriving on Haruun Kal...and a few bits inbetween...but I thought it was too long.

7/10...just.

Sorry :D

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 30 reviews: 274/30 = 9.13/10

10. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I give it a 9 for the sheer force of the writing. My only caveat is the foreshadowing at the end -- thought that become rather heavy-handed. Palpatine asking to understand how Jedi can be destroyed was a nice touch, however.

I was also glad to read a very personal book; that is, one in which we get to learn much about the main character, rather than the skirting that seems to be necessary until Episode III comes out.

Also very pleased to see the adult-oriented issues dealt with, in the book. The inner reflection emphasized by Stover was much appreciated by this ol' geezer LOL.

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 31 reviews: 283/31 = 9.13/10

12. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    10/10 for reasons previously stated. Had some minor faults but compared to other SW books it is excellent.

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 32 reviews: 293/32 = 9.16/10

14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd give it an 9/10. Shatterpoint was a pretty good book. I really was starting to like Nick in the second half of the book. He was very memorable. The end battle was pretty cool as well. What I didn't like was parts of the Depa plot. She just seemed to go way to crazy way to quickly.

15. darth_melvin

darth_melvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    8.0/10.0

During the first hundred pages or so, it looked like it might be too close to a long, boring slog through the wilderness that was The Approaching Storm. But as the story developed, it didn't turn out that way at all. Interesting villain in Vastor, great dialogue with Mace and Nick, and some changes that should definitely ripple into further Star Wars continuity.

Like others, I had a mixed feeling about all of the main characters living through the end. (Didn't seem as much "war is hell", more "war is heck.") C'mon, even in the movies, they at least lose their limbs:)!

Out of the prequel novels, I'd rate it 2nd of the five

Best
    1.(Best) Darth Maul Shadow Hunter
    2. Shatterpoint
    3. Cloak of Deception
    4. Rogue Planet
    5.(Worst) The Approaching Storm

16. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    As to "all the characters living," come on: you call Depa's condition "living"? As Matt pointed out, "several people have complained that too many people in the book lived through it. Of the sixteen or seventeen major "speaking roles" in the book (including Palpatine and Yoda), NINE of them are destroyed in the course of the book. Over HALF. Not to mention hundreds of troopers and militia and thousands of civilians. I guess people wanted Mace to slaughter at will. Or something."

17. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 34 reviews: 310/34 = 9.12/10

18. darth_melvin

darth_melvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    It felt like it was building to an epic showdown involving Mace, Nick, Depa and Vastor. Obviously Mace was not going to be offed in this book, but it seemed a little anticlimactic for all of them to survive.

(As for Depa... people wake up from comas)

On the other hand, Stover has some great characters here that he has created and/or developed, and it would have been kind of a drag to not see them again - so that's why I had the mixed feelings.

19. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    10/10 this book was the best thing to grace my mind in a long time. no one in the whole saga or njo order included can hang with mace windu ."slipping into vapaad" everytime i saw that i knew who ever he fought it was over for them i have never seen a more determined jedi before or a fighter as good .

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 35 reviews: 320/35 = 9.14/10

21. -KypDurron-

-KypDurron- Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2002
    I give it a 5.

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 36 reviews: 325/36 = 9.03/10

23. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    This is the same review I posted in the Shatterpoint disscussion thread however I've added a couple more lines.

I have to say I was dissipointed with the book. Mainly because the new planet in Shatterpoint wasn't very interesting, which was also one of my big problems with Rouge Planet.

The book starts off great and it's fun to see Mace undercover then very amusingly with no cover. :p It's also funny to see him have a run in with the law not 5 minutes after he lands.

However one Mace enters the jungle the book becomes tough going. This may be completely intentional as to paint the jungle as "Hell" and let me tell you I had a "Hell" of a time getting thru it. I was almost as exhusted as Mace was when they finaly got out of the jungle. One out of the jungle the book picks up incredible speed and you can't put the book down. There's a great battle and the ending with Palpatine is very chilling.

One thing that I really don't seem to understand is how did Mace survive having a lightsaber stuck thru him? Want he have a hole thru his body?

In conclusion Shatterpoint is a dissapointment with parts greater then the whole. It's good in the begging and the end but lumpy in the middle. It's also about 100 pages to long. It's not a bad Star Wars book but it's not the best either. My grade 6 out of 10.

24. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 37 reviews: 331/37 = 8.95/10

25. darthown

darthown Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2003
    7/10

dislikes

1. kar vastor and depa: they way were too powerful. i was under the impression that mace was one of the most powerful people in the galaxy. i thought the list of most powerful people in that time frame went like this:

1. palpy
    2. yoda
    3. (tie)mace and dooku
    4. (and rising) anakin
    5. other jedi like obi-wan, plo koon, etc.

but this book throws in characters only below palpatine and yoda. i dunno i guess if kar and depa wouldve been weak mace wouldve owned them quickly and that wouldnt have made for much of a book.

2. i never really understood if it was kar, the jungle, or the war that was making the planet so dark in the force. it was making the character go dark and making powers not work, i dunno i guess i didnt like the idea of pel kotan or whatever it was called.

1. palpatine he is so dirty. i think that these missions were all planned by him to kill mace. he knew about kar and knew what would happen by sending depa there. hes so evil, hangin out with people hes plotting to kill. i hope in episode 3 they explain how palpy is able to diminish the jedis force powers and mask his own. i wonder if its a power or sith artifact? i also hope they do another novel and wrap up kar and depa, hopefully palpatine gets a hold of em and sets em loose.

overall it was a decent book, not as good as i hoped for, but did give mace some personality.