The JC Lit Reviews Special: TATOOINE GHOST (TG spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Caine, Mar 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

The drill:

Rate Tatooine Ghost on a scale from 1 to 10.

If possible, note your ratings of other [Bantam & DR] novels (also on a 1 to 10 scale) for comparison. If you'd like, supplement your rating of Tatooine Ghost with a few words (or a lot, as you see fit).
  2. sith1137 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    is the book even out yet? or doess it come out tuesday?
  3. Amused knight Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I give it an 8. Not a lot of new stuff, but an excellent blend of PT and OT events.
  4. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

Counting 1 review.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 8/1 = 8/10
  5. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
  6. Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master

star 6
    It was a great bridge novel, a very nice blend of PT and OT. TD did a beautiful job when Han and Leia's relationship. I would love to see more books of this nature.

9/10
  7. forceaddict Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i also give it a 9/10, it was a great blend of PT and OT/EU work, i liked how han and leia were written, it was great for just being married
  8. forceaddict Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i also give it a 9/10, it was a great blend of PT and OT/EU work, i liked how han and leia were written, it was great for just being married
  9. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

Counting 3 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 26/3 ~ 8.67/10
  10. DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'd give it a 6. There is nothing new at all.They didn't explain the "Mine" line and just dropped the recording Obi made of the outbound project. It was a light fun read though.
  11. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I'd give it a 10, since I couldn't have asked for anything more from it. The characters were the best in the EU so far. TTT comes close. Denning does a superior job of tying in PT, and doesn't fall back on the same old tired "Evil Darth Vader" plot points. The book is very refreshing after reading so much of the post ROTJ EU and not having Leia (or Luke really) get some of their past resolved. I loved how Anakin became a human to Leia. Plenty of action, even the Empire wasn't the same old Empire. And no Vong tearing off arms and gutting people. Thanks to be to the maker!!! Troy did a great job, Bravo!!!
  12. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

Counting 5 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 42/5 = 8.40/10
  13. RogueSticks Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'd give it 9 out of 10. I'd give it a ten but there were several unresolved issues by the end. But the characters were handled very well I thought. And TD did a nice job fixing what Dave Wolverton screwed up: Han and Leia's relationship. It's an all around enjoyable read and it went by very quickly. I was also pleased to see an author finally make use of Han's intelligence. He freakin' graduated from the Academy, top of his class, and most authors still protray him as just a smart ass wtih a flair for piloting and tactics. But that's not all there was to the Academy. So, I give TD a round of applause for the way he handled Han.
  14. JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight

star 5
    I'd give this novel a 15/10 if I could. Infinity/10 even. But seeing as how this is Caine's show, I'll play by his rules and stick to the limit of 10/10. :)

Needless to say, I loved this novel. THIS IS STAR WARS, in my ever so humble opinion. Never, when reading a Star Wars novel, have I so consistently been drawn into the book in almost the exact same way I was drawn into the films. We are seeing Leia revisit moments that we, the audience, know from Episode 1! And it's amazing! When Leia steps out onto the same track Anakin raced at Boonta Eve....I got chills. When she visited Kenobi's hut, the same hut that Luke first activated a lightsaber in; was first introduced to THE FORCE in....more chills. Reading Shmi's journal, hearing Watto's voice, and Jar Jar's. Seeing Shmi's courtship, and a more playful side of the somber Owen Lars that we knew from ANH. I was fascinated by the segments involving Shmi's journal especially. Seeing her reactions to things, to hearing about the news of the Battle of Naboo. Wondering what had happened to her precious son, and how one completely off-base story of the events "even said that a kid had struck the winning blow". :) God....

*deep breath*

Han and Leia were phenomenal as well. The way Troy Denning wrote them was superb; I'd even go so far as to say it is the best characterization of any OT characters we've seen yet out of a piece of EU material. The moments between them were classic H&L material. Biting wit one moment, breathless mutual concern the next, and some serious passion mixed inbetween. It was great to see Chewie back in action as well, and 3PO provides some classic bits.

I really can't say enough about this book, so I'm just going to shut up here. From the revisiting of places that we've seen before in the movies, to reintroducing old characters (Ody Mandrell! W00t!), to some amazing introspective moments, this book was sensational.

Buy it.

Read it.

Love it.

:cool:

JMA
  15. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Keep 'em coming, you lot have nearly convinced me to spend £17!

Jedi Ben
  16. cartographer Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Gonna have to say 8/10. I loved the way PT things were tied to the OT. I really felt Leia's change of heart happening. Haven't read a whole book in 24 hours in a LONG time.

17. ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "Keep 'em coming, you lot have nearly convinced me to spend £17!"

I think it's only the price tag that's keeping me from rushing out to buy this too. I'll wait on a few more reviews before I decide. :)
  18. tmihah Jedi Youngling

star 1
    8/10

I liked the author's grasp on the characters, although I found myself skipping past the action to get back to Leia reading Shmi's journal. I disagree that Wolverton screwed up anything though.

I agree that the trip to Obi-wan's hut seemed out of place, but I think the Obi-wan journel was just dropped in there as a bridge to Zahn's book with Luke/Mara. So I guess I was okay with it disappearing.

I was not to pleased, however, with the ending. It was sort of an abrupt way to end things and I found it a little irritating. Other than those gripes, I really enjoyed it.
  19. mutley Jedi Master

star 4
    Guys the book costs $40 AUS and I'd do almost anything to buy it(NOT available here yet)but from people I trust it's worth the 17 bucks in the UK.

Heck if you can, buy it and bring your opinion here with luck you will like it and they may make more books that cover the gaps in between everything.
  20. Ginger Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I paid the price for not one, but two copies of this book, and I still think it was worth the price.

I give it a 10.

I loved everything about it. The action, the humor, the personal stuff, the characterization were all great. I even like how the minor characters were written. Tatooine itself was written well. I really felt like I had a good feel for that planet by the time I was finished reading. I adored the excerpts from Shmi's diary, and seeing Anakin's old friends all grown up.

21. maceskyoda1 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    i don't wqant to bye a book for 22.50 but you guys say its good and i think im going to bye it thanks......whats the plots?
  22. Caine Jedi Padawan

star 4

Counting 10 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 87/10 = 8.70/10
  23. JediAlly Jedi Master

star 4
    I've read about the first hundred pages and skimmed the rest. Can't give it a rating yet. I can say that I was slightly disappointed with the ending. I was kinda hoping for Denning to post an epilogue, in which the family learns that Leia's pregnant with the twins, and celebrate it. Elsewhere, another individual also congratulates her. If this were a movie, we'd see an individual wearing a white uniform as the screen fades to black. The last thing we'd see before the movie ended would be his blue-skinned hands and his glowing red eyes. Sort of establishing a definite link between Tatooine Ghost and the Thrawn Trilogy.

By the way, I think I like the new banner colors. The pictures were taken from Courtship of Princess Leia and I, Jedi, right?
  24. ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "Guys the book costs $40 AUS and I'd do almost anything to buy it(NOT available here yet)but from people I trust it's worth the 17 bucks in the UK."

I think the exchange rate means that £17 and $40 Aus. are actually a lot closer than you'd suggest. ;)

Anyways, I actually decided finally to get this book, so I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk where it is marginally cheaper than stores.

Will post a review when it actually arrives and I've read it. :)
  25. Darth_Kevin Jedi Master

star 5
    Not that it bothers me, but shouldn't this go in the reviews forum nowadays?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.