main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: TATOOINE GHOST (TG spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Caine, Mar 2, 2003.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nope -- Caine's reviews generally lend themselves to # values so people can get a quick overview of the book and a general sense (on a scale from 1 to 10) if they should buy the book. We'll start moving over some newer books to the Review Forum eventually and then we'll ask people to write up longer reviews. :)

2. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I give it a 2. We learned nothing much. It was boring at times. And what are squibs anyways? I have since returned the book and am waiting for the paperback, hoping that will come with a forest apart in it.

axl.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I didn't have very high expectations going into Tatooine Ghost. I was pleasantly surprised.

I think the nicest thing about the book is the way it ties some of the themes and ends from Truce at Bakura and Courtship of Princess Leia into a nice little trilogy.

It's definitely more of a character book than an event book, which was good, because Denning is *really* good at Han and Leia. Sometimes Han wasn't quite a sarcastic as I'd have liked, but usually he had them both pretty well. I didn't think he did a particularly good job with Threepio, but I'm glad that Chewbacca was used well. I'm not one of those people who blew up over Chewie's death, and I haven't particularly missed the big fella during NJO, but those of you who've known me since '99 know that I've been complaining since before the NJO about how underused he's been -- when he was used at all, he was often just an object, really, or just an extra gun, rather than a character, so I was pleased that he was well used here. Which brings me to my favorite line in the book: right at the beginning, when Leia thinks about how she likes the way his fur smells of that soap. Just such a perfectly natural sentiment that had never occured to me -- how Chewbacca smelled at all, let alone whether he smelled good. That line made me smile. The worst line, on the other hand, was the one about the "most unnamed of all Tatooine's unnamed wastes" or something along those lines. Untamed, maybe, but how can something be more unnamed than something else?

I enjoyed the action at the beginning -- it was nice to see a dogfight that involved just some TIEs rather than whole squadrons of uberpilots -- and with the twist that they were trying *not* to hit the TIEs just to make it more interesting. On the other hand, I was not a fan of the end sequence; I just thought the action got a bit too muddled.

I'm not a big fan of the prequel trilogy, but I did like how this book more than anything else we've seen really tries to make the PT and the OT seem like different eras of the same universe, rather than two completely seperate series of events. It was nice to see grown-up Kitster and Wald and Teemto and probably a few others whom I can't think of now. Yet at the same time, Denning doesn't forsake the EU, mentioning Wraith Squadron, which I thought was a nice touch, and bringing in the Darklighters, and giving Lady Valarian a mention.

The most annoying thing about this book was that, while I liked Thrawn's presence, I felt that Denning didn't give us as readers enough credit. Right from the very first chapter, a reader is able to tell that it's Thrawn in command, just from the way the Chimaera handles its TIEs, and the way the Imperials are going after the art piece. Then, later, with the "efficient" officer, it was clear within about three lines that he was really Thrawn, and that would have been a cool little inclusion. But then when Denning threw in the bit about the red eyes, I nearly groaned. As if we didn't know it was Thrawn, anyway. I would have liked to have seen a scene or two with Pelleaon, especially now that we're getting to know him better in the NJO.

Finally, plotwise I see why the painting needed to be more than it appeared -- the whole "thousands of lives are at stake" thing -- but I think it would perhaps have been a better story if that hadn't been the case. Just make it a purely personal thing. Leia wants the Alderaanian relic, and so does Thrawn. Simple conflict of interest between two stubborn people. No need for the whole Shadowcast subplot.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book right up until about the time they rescued Kitster at the end, at which point it degenerated into an obligatory, standard action sequence which really failed to excite me at all. I give it a solid 8.35/10, and consider it money well spent.

I may have more comments tomorrow, but I'm really, really tired right now and am not focused enough to think clearly enough to write more.

EDIT: And I quite enjoyed the Squibs, mostly, although from time to time

4. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Untamed, maybe, but how can something be more unnamed than something else?

Was the point being made that it is more of a "unmentionable" than all of the rest? Thus, "the most unmentionable of the unmentionables"?

~PAd

5. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 12 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 97.35/12 ~ 8.11/10

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    A couple more thoughts: I wasn't impressed by the Outbound Flight bit. It was just too out-of-left-field; it didn't seem likely nor did it have any real purpose in this book.

I would pay good money to see that podracer-engine-cum-swoop, and even better money to see Han zooming along on that thing, pushing Mach 1, throwing stormies left and right with the shockwaves. :D

And I enjoyed the whole scene with the caravan. Reminiscent of the Sun's Anvil scene in Lawrence of Arabia.

7. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Man, that "2" really kicked this book's ratings in the nuts.

JMA

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    We learned nothing much. It was boring at times. And what are squibs anyways? I have since returned the book and am waiting for the paperback, hoping that will come with a forest apart in it.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I must say that I disagree with your assessment. You say we learned nothing much. I disagree. We learn how Leia overcame her feelings from TaB. We learn the story of Shmi and Cliegg, which on its own could've made quite a boring novel, in an interesting way. We learn about the aftermath of CoPL. As to your boring assertion, I thought just the opposite. The only boring part I thought was the shoot-em-up sequence at the end. This was a very fast read for me - in fact, a single-sitting read - and I wasn't bored at all. And what do you mean "what are squibs?" They're new characters in the book. . . what more do you need?

9. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I'm extremely suspicious of someone saying that they have read the book, but then ask what are squibs. Heck, the squibs are described in detailed, and are practically main characters since they appear, or at least get mentioned in nearly every chapter of the book. I don't understand how someone could really read Tatooine Ghost and still have no clue to what squibs are.

10. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Which brings me to my favorite line in the book: right at the beginning, when Leia thinks about how she likes the way his fur smells of that soap. Just such a perfectly natural sentiment that had never occured to me -- how Chewbacca smelled at all, let alone whether he smelled good. That line made me smile.

Reading this made me think that perhaps Leia's thoughts about this subject in Balance Point take on a different meaning now.

11. Tara

Tara Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    I give it a 10.

I thought the balance was perfect, between action, humour, romance, and good old fashioned adventure. The original characters like the squibs were a lot of fun, and it was really interesting seeing all of Anakin's old friends from Tatooine. One of the best parts was the humour. The NJO has been quite depressing, so it was a great relief to read about the gang in happier times.

I admit I'm not a huge fan of the prequels, but after I read this book I felt I understood people like Shmi, Cliegg, and Watto much better. The person I learned about the most though, was Anakin Skywalker. Seeing him through his mother's eyes was heartbreaking and very poignant, and I saw him in an entirely different light after reading this book.

Chewie was adorable. I loved all the interaction between him and Leia, probably the best we've ever seen. He acted like a protective big brother, and Leia's obviously very fond of him.

Onto my favourite part of the book, Han and Leia. First, Leia's characterization is dead on. I don't think I've ever seen her done so well in a SW book. She has her biting sarcasm and tough-girl persona, but she also has the gentle nature and compassion we saw in the movies. What I liked the best was seeing her vulnerabilities and fears..something rarely touched on in the EU. It made her much more human. I also loved the part where she chose Han over her duties to the New Republic. Obviously, I don't think she would do that all the time, but we have to remember, this is the same woman who left the Rebellion to save her lover from the clutches of Jabba the Hutt...

Han was dead on, I don't have much to say about him other than he was brilliantly done.

The interaction between them was terrific. Nice mix of banter, humorous comments, flirting, tender concern, and some innuendo.

The only thing I was disappointed was that we didn't see Leia's pregnancy, and I thought the conversation at the end where Leia tells Han she wants children deserved more attention. But you can't have everything.. :)

Anyway, fantastic book. I bought two copies and I still feel like I got my money's worth :D

12. Ginger

Jan 27, 2001
    Reading this made me think that perhaps Leia's thoughts about this subject in Balance Point take on a different meaning now.

The problem is that in Balance Point it says "wet wookiee", in one of the Han Solo Adventure Books it is established that the smell of a wet wookiee is extremely offensive, even to Chewbacca himself. Also, since Leia had to hold her breath because Han's breath smelled like a 'wet wookiee' doesn't give the reader the impression that Leia is enjoying herself very much. If Leia liked the odor, she would have breathed in deeply, like Mara did earlier in the book while kissing Luke and his breath smelled sweet.

13. Tara

May 4, 2002
    Agreed Ginger.

But then, in my world, Balance Point doesn't exist ;)

14. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Why is it that people are buying two copies of this book? :confused:

15. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    The problem is that in Balance Point it says "wet wookiee", in one of the Han Solo Adventure Books it is established that the smell of a wet wookiee is extremely offensive, even to Chewbacca himself. Also, since Leia had to hold her breath because Han's breath smelled like a 'wet wookiee' doesn't give the reader the impression that Leia is enjoying herself very much.

In any case, most people missed the meaning of that part of Balance Point anyway...

16. Ginger

Jan 27, 2001
    Why is it that people are buying two copies of this book?

I ordered online form two different places, planning to cancel one order when the other got filled. Then both orders were filled on the same day. It's a good thing that I bought two anyway, one copy accidently fell in the bathtub. [face_blush]

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I would almost give this a 9.0, but the brings-the-pacing-to-a-halt caravan sequence knocks off at least .5 .

So, my final rating would be 8.5

For comparison of the era:

TFJP: 8.5/10
    TAB: 5/10
    MJ-BTEH: 7/10
    XW: 10/10 (as a generalized average)
    COPL: 3/10
    HTTE: 10/10

18. DarthLeia

DarthLeia Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2002
    I give it a 10.

I liked the humor in it and the humor in Leia's reaction to learning about her father.

19. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Well, there was very little action, and nothing new was revealed...

BUT...

I loved this book. The characterization was perfect in every case. Han and Leia had the humorous banter that a newly married couple should have. The Squibs were good comic relief as well. I really enjoyed Leia "meeting" Shmi, and finally realizing that Anakin was not always Darth Vader. I also had chills when Leia was at Boonta Eve and Shmi's house. Like JMA said, THIS IS STAR WARS. Troy D. showed me that he could go in a totally different direction than SbS, and still impress. I give TG a 10/10

BTW, loved the Thrawn cameo! ;)

20. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Wow, I must admit that Im pretty surprised by the overflow of excellent reviews here. Not to say that I didnt like TG, I definitely did, but I wasnt expecting such a positive reaction to a book which had been met with such dubious expectations. Im glad that Troy Denning managed to pleasantly surprise so many of us; now on to my review.

I'll admit that I wasnt expecting much from this book but was pleasantly surprised in the end. Denning's charactericzation of H/L were dead on and made the book that much better, IMO. I also loved how he flawlessly managed to merge the event of two different generations without making it seem trite or forced. When I'd heard that Leia discovers Shmi's diary I rolled my eyes like many of you, but Denning managed to pull it off in a plausible yet sentimental way. But the best part of this book was Leia's journey, IMO. She was allowed to grow and learn in this book, a refreshing change from her idleness in the NJO. I also like how TG marks the point in her life where Leia finally puts her father's ghost to rest, finally realizes that her father was flesh and blood at one point and had a mother who loved him. Anakin is finally humanized for Leia here and Im glad that we were able to read about it in TG. Thank you, Mr. Denning. :)

8 / 10

21. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I give it a 9 with the only low point being the end of the book. The end it seemed like everything kinda got crammed in there, not to mention knowing that Han, Leia, and Chewie were going to live, fight and die another day. Perhaps if the Squibs had been killed by Han...nah ;). I do wish though that the last conversation between Han and Leia had been a tad bit longer, but it's all good.

The only thing that I would have wanted added would've been a scene at the end of the book with Thrawn and Palleaon discussing the outcome of the battle of the painting. Of course Thrawn gets the painting in the end, due to the Squibs selling it to them, but a conversation would've been nice.

The characterizations were outstanding with Han and Leia. I like the sarcasm and Han's constant Gizer ale wish. "That's not Gizer. That's not even ale!" I thought that was hilerious.

I give it a 9/10

Comparisions:
    TAB: 8/10
    COPL: 9/10
    PoT: 3/10
    COTJ: 6/10
    HTTE: 9/10
    TBW: 10/10

[EDIT]AXL: I did not think it was possible to buy a book, read it and then return it for a refund. Do you mean selling it to a used bookstore?[/EDIT]

22. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, I thought the ending was a bit rushed, too, especially considering the deliberate pacing of the book up until that point. I also agree that a brief Thrawn / Pelleaon epilogue would have been pretty cool.

23. Tara

May 4, 2002
    I give it a 2. We learned nothing much.

I disagree. We learned how Leia got over her fears of having kids. We saw Anakin humanized for Leia and the readers. We learned about Shmi's past, and how she was eventually rescued by Cliegg. We learn about the lives of Anakin's old friends back on Tatooine, and the aftermath of Anakin's slaughter of the Tusken raiders. We see the first appearances of Thrawn and what the Imperials are up to.

It was boring at times.

I didn't find it boring at all. It was first and foremost, a light-hearted adventure book, with some serious introspective thinking by the characters. I thought the touch of humour and romance mixed it with the action was the right balance, without slowing the pacing of the book.

And what are squibs anyways?

I'm not really sure how you could have claimed to read the book and not know what squibs are. The squibs are described in great detail in the second chapter of the book and several times afterwards, and become main characters practically. I don't know what else you need to know.

24. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 18 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 152.85/18 ~ 8.49/10

25. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Regarding having read a book before reviewing them: please take the time read the novel before posting a review. That's what these threads are all about.

When people come in and say they've read 100 or so pages and they give the novel an '8' so far, I won't count it until they've finished the book. These review threads are intended for those who have read the novel in full.

However...

Outside of quizzing posters or requiring a minimum word count for each review, there's really no way to tell if a poster has read the novel in full. Even then, we can't be sure. In the past, I've counted curt, extremely negative reviews which would lead others to question the poster. I mean has the poster even read the novel completely, or quit 10 pages in because they found it boring or 'poor quality'?

Also, people who disliked a particular novel generally don't take the time to explain their complaints and/or opinions. It's the nature of the beast, and partly understandable. Those who like a novel tend to post and explain their opinions.

In any case, by posting a rating/review, I'm assuming you've read the novel in full. It isn't my intention to discount any reviews: favorable and unfavorable alike.