main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: TATOOINE GHOST (TG spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Caine, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Kidd

Kidd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2002
    I must say I am not a big fan of the EU especially the New Jedi Order and the whole Yuzaan Vong thing (pardon me if I mispelled it) but this book was really beautiful.

The way Leia gets a chance to see what Anakin was like and how much he suffered and why he came into the darkside. I mean Leia disliked Vader but what she didn't know is that he didn't become evil just because he wanted to be evil, but for other causes.
    Leia came to Tatooine just for the Killik Twilight and ended up encountering her father ghost. Even though she didn't wanted to face him or anything related to him, she eventually did.

And then there's the Shmi scenarios and the Boonta Eve video that made Leia realize who Anakin was.Going back to Shmi; I loved how in the book they copared her to Leia, even Han when he heard Shmi's voice thought she sounded familiar and when he saw her face he pictured Leia being like that when she becomes that age.

Leia learns Shmi's love for Anakin, and from Anakin's former friends his innocence and puriness. But from force-feeling, Shmi's suffering and the Tusken's story of the 'Angry Ghost' she learns one of the reasons why her father became Darth Vader.

I give this story a 9/10 everything was good but my only complaint was the rushed ending and I also wished for Anakin to have come back just to hear his daughter's forgiveness.

And now for one of my fav moments.

"I'm sorry. I'm having a hard time with all this pro-Darth-Vader blather."

"Yeah, I keep wondering when somebody's going to tell us about the real kid," Han said "The one who used to tue grenades on batha tails.

Lol

EDIT: Hope they do another story like this but with Padmé and Luke

2. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 28 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 243.35/28 ~ 8.69/10

3. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    Refreshing Star Wars tale after the more serious and heavy NJO stories lately. Han and Leia were written really well. C-3PO and Chewie got to shine, albeit less than you'da thought.

I was/am really digging the NJO as it's been getting really good since Star by Star (ie. Traitor), and I was kinda dreading that the decision was made to come back and do more of the "fill in the blanks" type novels and not continue on (for the time being) with the surviving characters post-NJO. This novel gives me some hope that they won't all be crap...

9/10

4. JaggedFel26

JaggedFel26 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    I really enjoyed the novel, and read it very quickly. Although not much action, I really liked how Leia discovered all that stuff about her father before he had been consumed by evil. Overall a 9/10

5. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 30 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 261.35/30 ~ 8.71/10

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Did I post my review yet? I think I gave SBS a 9.75 and Traitor a 9.5. I'd give this one a 9.4 -- I loved the book, I was just a tad confused by the very, very end flight on the Falcon... :)

7. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 31 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 270.75/31 ~ 8.73/10

8. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I give TATOOINE GHOST about a . . . 5/10.

Though I don't care much for the PT, I liked seeing some it merged into the story. All the stuff with Leia discovering some of Anakin's past was great. I really enjoyed all of that.

But I wish Han had been given more to do instead of just wind up being partched(sp?) for most of the book. All the "searching in the sandstorm" scenes dragged on too long. I liked the climax though, with all the bantha, Sand People, and stormtroopers, and the describing of Chewie flying the Falcon so low that it threw up a huge wall of sand. I was kind of disappointed when the Weequay from the early chapters didn't come back. I liked the tension between him and Chewie.

But ultimately, in the end, I was a little on the disappointed side.

I haven't read any of the NJO and will be lost with any post-NJO books, so I do hope we still get more post-ROTJ/pre-NJO books like this.

9. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Tatooine's Ghost = 9/10

I thought this novel was both refreshing and entertaining. It was a much needed break from the dark and largely depressing NJO series. I enjoyed reading about my favorite character - Han - and seeing the SW characters I really care about take center stage.

Denning did a terrific job of capturing the essence of the characters. Not perfect, but much better than some others. I could easily visualize Han and Leia engaged in their back and forth arguments.

And, of course, it was really great to see Chewie back in action again.

The story was simple, yet full of fun. I liked the idea and loved that the story was a simple, small adventure located on one planet.

I especially liked how Leia learned about her father's origins. One of the things I've look forward to the most in the EU was how it would link the prequels with the OT. This was the first of it's kind, provided insight into Leia, showed growth and development.

The one criticism I would give it was the ending. A little confusing. I was pulled out of the story a bit and my attention was lessened a bit.

But, overall, an outstanding SW novel.

10. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    JMA, JMA, sometimes you amaze me.

I feel the same as you did. I felt like I was a kid again. It was great!

I give it a 9/10. It was fun.

Hope they do another story like this but with Padmé and Luke

I'd love that. That would be great! (As long as the focus stays on Luke, and doesn't wind up with Mara having met Padme and all that, then lecture Luke about her opinion of Padme, the way she does with everyone else. I'd hate that.)

11. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I liked how Troy managed to capture the feel of the events from EpI and EpII while also providing a set of bridges between the two movies, and with the post ROTJ EU.

I give it a 10/10

Kimball Kinnison

12. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 35 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 303.75/35 ~ 8.68/10

13. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    This is the first time I've ever posted in the Literature forum, but I just finished TATOOINE GHOST and really enjoyed it. The characterizations of Han, Leia and Chewie were near perfect. I enjoyed seeing Kitster and other PT characters. And I was very touched by the Shmi sequences. The only very minor complaint I have is that the last action sequences seemed somewhat rushed and confusing. Otherwise, near perfection.

I'll rate it a 9.5/10.

14. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 36 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 313.25/36 ~ 8.70/10

15. Darth_Ugabuga

Darth_Ugabuga Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    I give it a 7 out of 10.

Good read but at times i found it a little slow. Overall though i have read a lot worse SW books and enjoyed most of the book.

16. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Anything not dark and depressing is refreshing these days. I would also like to see some more post RotJ stories, as this one was a really good read. I give this one a 9 out of 10.

17. RayLo

RayLo Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2002
    I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The only part I did not like was how the ending was rushed. It was a great bridge novel. I hope we have more like this. I give this book an 8 out of 10.

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 39 reviews: 337.25/39 = 8.65/10

19. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Great te in with the prequils, awesome au foreshadowing, bad pacing. I give it an 8.75

346/40 = 8.65

20. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Counting 40 reviews.

JC Lit Average Rating of TG = 346/40 = 8.65/10