The JC Lit Reviews Special: THE CLONE WARS: WILD SPACE (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    It has been brought to my attention that I seem to have never gotten around to creating a review thread for this book, the first of the original Clone Wars novels.

Some rules: rate Wild Space on a scale of 1 to 10, supplementing your rating with a review, if you want to (It's not necessary but is highly encouraged). However, please do not rate or review the book until after you've read the whole thing. Thanks. :)

Go for it.;)

Some previous review threads:

Republic Commando: Hard Contact, by Karen Traviss
    Shatterpoint, by Matthew Stover
    The Cestus Deception, by Steven Barnes
    Medstar I: Battle Surgeons, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Medstar II: Jedi Healer, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Jedi Trial, by David Sherman and Dan Cragg
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, by Sean Stewart
    Labyrinth of Evil, by James Luceno
    Revenge of the Sith, by Matthew Stover
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno
    Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine, by Veronica Whitney-Robinson
    Tatooine Ghost, by Troy Denning
    Survivor's Quest, by Timothy Zahn
    Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream, by Aaron Allston
    Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand, by Aaron Allston
    Traitor, by Matthew Stover
    Destiny's Way, by Walter Jon Williams
    Force Heretic I: Remnant, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Force Heretic II: Refugee, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Force Heretic III: Reunion, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    The Final Prophecy, by Greg Keyes
    The Unifying Force, by James Luceno
    Dark Nest I: The Joiner King, by Troy Denning
    Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen, by Troy Denning
    Dark Nest III: The Swarm War, by Troy Denning
    Outbound Flight, by Timothy Zahn
    Republic Commando: Triple Zero, by Karen Traviss
    Legacy of the Force: Betrayal, by Aaron Allston
    Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines, by Karen Traviss
    Darth Bane
  2. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    The good: Well, I have to say pretty much all of this good. I thought the characterization of Obi-Wan was excellent as was that of Bail. For some reason I thought Obi-Wan's dry wit came out really well and I liked the comparison of Bail to a Corellian bartender. It's nice to actually see the two of them fighting together. I don't recall having seen much of the two of them together. I also really liked the bit about the aftermath of Geonosis. The Jedi would have certainly have seen Padme and Anakin getting closer together and I like seeing them deal with it, ineffectual though it was :p I'm also really glad to see the references to Obi-Wan's past from Jude Watson's series. I got a little misty eyed when Obi-Wan thought of Siri as Yoda was asking him to break up Anakin and Padme :_|

The bad: The truth is I'm not overly fond of 'lost-in-the-wilderness' stories. They tend to drag on, and on, and I get bored with them fairly quickly. Still, the angle of Obi-Wan vs. the darkside was an interesting twist. I also don't exactly like the cover. For a novel that was primarily Obi-Wan and Bail you'd have thought they'd be SOMEwhere on the cover. Instead we get a lot of clones :rolleyes:

The verdict: I really liked this book and thought it was a great on characterization for most of the characters, especially Obi-Wan's reactions to being injured :p . Sadly, I got a little bored with Bail's and Obi-Wan's sojourn through the boonies. And, to me, the biggest sin a book can commit is being boring. But there was an interesting psychological twist with Obi-Wan's inner struggle that redeems it.

8.5/10

edit: I can't wait for Karen Miller's next Star Wars novel, incidentally. She can stick around as far as I'm concerned. :)
  3. iolo_the_bard Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, its been a few days since I read the book, so this review won't be quite as in-depth as I want it to be, but oh well....onward!

I really enjoyed this book. Setting in concurrently with the TV show episodes is nice, and I think this sort of thing needs to happen more often. So far the Star Wars universe is lacking in parallel stories (not counting concurrent events happening in a singular book), with small exceptions such as Death Star and the "Tales From..." books.

I liked seeing Obi-Wan and Bail in action, although the wilderness journey did seem to drag on a bit, and although i liked Bail's character from the book, it seemed slightly at odds with his movie portrayal. I also enjoyed seeing the Anakin/Ahsoka dynamic explored in more of an adult setting, because the TV show doesn't really touch on how the two of them get along, outside of the superficial "She's a rebellious Padawan under a rebellious teacher"

I was hoping for more big action pieces in this book, but I'm very happy with what we got, and I'm eagerly awaiting Miller's next Clone Wars novel.

I give this book an 8.5/10.
  4. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Average score: 17/2 = 8.50
  5. GrandMasterKatarn Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, it's been three days since I read the book, so bear with me.

THE GOOD
    Obi-Wan's and Bail's characterizations were superb. I could actually picture them in my minds eye. Loved that Obi-Wan was hearing voices on Zygerria(?). The flashback to the aftermath of Geonosis, that was brilliant. I always wondered what the Jedi did with the dead they lost that day.

THE BAD
    Padme having a larger part than I would have thought. Hardly any clones (unless I'm forgetting a scene).

All in all

8.9 out of 10
  6. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Average score: 25.9/3 = 8.63
  7. Charlii Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, It has been a week or two since I read the book, but here is a short review:

Loved it.

No, really, it's one of the best sw-books we've gotten in a long time. I was happy to see that they were bold enough to do something different and making the book mostly about Obi-Wan and Bails lonely journey, without any real villains. Also good to finally see some proper interweaving between media, as we saw here with the references to the tv-show. (although Lelands recent comment about the episodes of the show being in the right chronological order makes me wonder...)

9/10, without a doubt!
  8. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Absolutely awesome book. I got this and Order 66 to read in Borders the other day; I wound up chucking O66 on the floor after the first three or four pages (Bardan used to be a great character, now his ego makes Palpatine look humble and reasonable :p) and continued on with Wild Space, which turned out to be absolutely awesome. The idea of a Sith holocron actively harassing & attacking a Jedi is one that I don't think has been done before, and I loved the political aspects as well.

Question that'll hopefully get followed up: Why are the Jedi so insistent on keeping the Sith being back a secret? I understand that it'll cause a panic (nice smack in the face to people who think nobody knows what the Sith are :p) angle, but now, what's the point? We've got Grievous committing planetary murder all over the place, the first war in a thousand years...it just doesn't seem very logical. People are probably panicking anyway. :p

I loved the blatant stab at the idiocy that Jedi don't get dirty in battle:

9. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    We finally got some drama from the Jedi Temple instead of just fighting on numerous battlefronts. Bail and Obi-Wan were good together...who knew Obi-Wan wasn't always the nice Jedi he seemed to be in the Movies? He seemed to get angry alot...

The Good: Great Jedi Temple scenes and Yoda's POV as well as Palpatine's. Gave us a new understanding of the pressure that Yoda faces.

The Bad: Not that much action, and Obi-Wan dealing with the Holocron got a little old. Sometimes the writing was a little weird...the sentences weren't normal.

Overall it was a better than average read and better than some of the other novels out there.

7.5/10
  10. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Average score: 42.4/5 = 8.48
  11. CeiranHarmony Force Ghost

star 5
    The Good: Awesome characterisation and movieverse level additions. Bail Organa and Obi Wan explored a lot psychologically. The writing style is great, one of the best EU authors despite being new to our EU.

The Bad: Well, the wordfights between Bail and Obi Wan were good, but after 2/3 of the book they seemed to be repetetive instead of improving. I liked them, yet they might have had a little more evolution. the last 1/3 then was again awesome. Also the ending with the Sith world was, while good, not what I expected. It needs something more of Stover or Allstons use of the Force I think, but I loved her style and use of the Dark Side against Obi Wan and Bail.

The Ugly: Well Clone Wars continuity troubles and timeline placement issues. But you all know hat by now.

in short, I give it 9/10. It is worth it, and CW continuity is not the authors fault.
  12. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    The Good- The characters. they felt like they were straight out of the movies. bail is perfect as this is the opening stages of him having a working relationship with the jedi. also good to see him learn the lesson that sometimes jedi DO know what is best eventhough they are human too (or alien).

in the discussion thread i complained that the fact that sidious is palpatine is told but honestly, now i don't mind so much. how often do we get into the head of that sith lord? some of his thoughts were just down-right funny.

in regards to obi-wan i could almost hear ewan mcgregor's voice coming from the pages.

the plot was interesting but it would've been better if there was more mystery. this reminded me more of The Approaching Storm how the action was on only a few planets instead of like six.

even the type that was used was good. spacious enough to read quickly without seeming like a kid's book.

while there was a lot of "you darned jedi thinking your above the common man" complaining it wasn't as bad as a KT book. we actually get the jedi's perspective which is really nice.

The Bad- after a certain point it gets really really repetitive. while this may add some realism after a while it was boring. but i understand that the heroes can't trek through a planet in a single day.

continuity is spinning in it's grave now. so this takes place during episodes 6 and 7 of the show. but there seems to me that they lasted two-three days at the most. i mean that smuggler dude got R2 in the first one and the second started with him delivering the droid. yet this book takes weeks from the start of obi and bail's journey to the end. :confused:

i guess thats for a different thread but it did pull me out of the narrative.

and yes the cover. but honestly, we have all been fooled by SW covers before so this should've been no surprise. also the last two points here are not the authors fault at all, just fan-boy griping

The Ugly- poor obi-wan. first Jabiim and Ventress' castle now this. is there any other SW book besides Traitor where a hero gets this much punishment and survives? was this a CW book or a snuff book? [face_beatup]

Final Score- 7.5/10 recommended to all but not perfect.
  13. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Average score: 58.9/7 = 8.41
  14. colojedi7 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Loved this book! So much better than the first Clone Wars novel. I especially loved the POV of Palpatine. Don't get his thoughts very often. I am really looking forward to Karen Miller's next novel. The only negative was I felt Obi-wan was written a little too cranky and argumentative, but then after what he has been through, he's entitled!

9.5/10=D=
  15. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Average score: 68.4/8 = 8.55
  16. DavBacca Force Ghost

star 2

As it has already been said, Zigoola dragged on a little bit and alot of the sentences were missing pronouns, other than that I really enjoyed it and hope Karen Miller gets assigned many SW books in the coming years.
  17. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    I give it a 9 because once I started reading I could put it down!
  18. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Average score: 86.8/10 = 8.68
  19. jedimasterkenobi02 Jedi Knight

I loved this book and thought the characterization was brilliant! 10!
  20. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm going to give it a 6. I would have been much harder on it had it not finally engaged me nearly 200 pages in. It became a bit of a page turner at the halfway point.

I deeply disliked Bail Organa's characterization for the majority of the novel. His change was so drastic by the climax that it seemed contrived. The big trap once we got to it was hokey but ultimately fun.
  21. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Average score: 102.8/12 = 8.57
  22. Kol_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I have yet to read this book, however, what do you guys think of Karen Miller's prose? I know basically next to nothing about her, but from a few comments from other people, we seem to be on a winner. Would this be an accurate statement? If so, would you like to see her explore different era's of the Star Wars universe, ie: Luke, Han, Leia and co?

BTW, how much of this novel is original, as compared to an adaptation of a few Clone Wars cartoon episodes?
  23. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
    Take a look at page 4 on in the discussion thread. I'm pretty vocal about my opinion of the book (stims aside:p). I'd say the last third of the book reads as tight and fun as anything you could expect. It's the second act which was difficult to say the least.
  24. Vialco Force Ghost

star 4
  25. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    9/10

I posted in the regular thread today but basically this was a good yarn and the first SW book I've actually enjoyed start to finish in a long, long time.