main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: THE FINAL PROPHECY (TFP spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
  2. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    Has anyone even aquired the book yet?

Usually by this time, excluding the past novel released, at least 3-5 people have it.

3. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Yep, there are definitely people with the book. Of the two opinions that I've heard, one was negative and one was positive.

//waits for the others to arrive to see what the general consensus on TFP is.

:)

4. Lks_Ian

Lks_Ian Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2002
    I'm confused. the book is out already? I thought it wasn't until around september 30th or something.

5. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    some lucky people manage to get it a week or so early. i don't know how :(

As for TFP, if Keyes' other SW work is any indication it should be a cracker. Rebirth is one of the most exciting, fast paced books in the entire series.

And more Wedge is never bad :D

~Clear skies

6. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I used to be able to get books two or three days early, sometimes nearly a week early. Then the shipping routes were changed a bit I guess, and my end of the world now gets them only on the day they're released. It's kind of weird to go to a store looking for the book, not find, then pass a guy from Random House with a few boxes in his arms as I head for the door, realize that the new SW book is in one of those boxes, and have to turn around.

7. greig_skywalker

greig_skywalker Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2003
    I would give it a 9. It's a joy to see Tahiri adjusting to YV thinking, and Harrar and Nen Yim come to understand the 'infidels'. Greg Keyes has been consistently a consistently good writer. Good name too ;)

I have put spoilers on the official discussion thread if anyone is interested.

Strangely, I always seem to be able to get NJO books early... from a store called Forbidden Planet in Edinburgh, UK. Before even the US, how cool!

8. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Harrar? Oh not, not that freak again. [face_plain] He was a boring character the first time around, we don't need him again.

Anyway this is getting off-topic, so I'll stop now (I didn't want to post this in the discussion thread for fear of spoilers)

~Clear skies

9. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    Woohoo, Harrar returns.

He always was my favourite Yuuzhan Vong.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

10. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Harrar.... At least he doesn't have Tsavong around to be mad with him anymore.
    (did he irritate any other characters yet?)

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 1 vote: 9/1 = 9/10

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Seems like Caine no longer does these threads! :D

13. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Does Luke do anything in this book at all? Hope someone can tell me.

14. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    The book comes out today, so: up.

15. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    Getting it after school :D

16. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Isn't out over here yet, I fear. :(

17. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Harrar turning...

Well, I'd never.

18. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    My copy got in today. I'll have a review by the end of the week.

Usually there're at least a couple reviews on the first day. . .

19. Master_Padme

Master_Padme Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2003
    I would have to give this book an 8.5 out of 10. I love Keyes style of writing and, for the most part, loved the plot in this book. Before this book, I was confused to how they were going to end this thing in just 2 books. Now i see that the end is near, and can be done with a SbS length book......he showed that the militery is kicking some butt and the Vong are on their heals....also one thing that disappointed me was the lack of Luke and Jacen, they were on the same planet for half of the book, but didnt make an entrance tell the end. Also where is Kyp Durron....He hasnt had decent time since Dark Journey....Overall good book...sets up TUF well and puts the end of the war in sight

20. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    7/10

Plot was disapointing for me. It didn't really advance the storyline a whole bunch. Too much Tahari, too little of anyone else, with the exception of Hararr (who is good), Nom Anor, Nem Yim, and Corran Horn (who is also good).

Conversation with Wedge, Lt. Cel, and later Pash Cracken about Thrawn and Bilbringi (which is pointless) are good but few.

And it seemed like Keyes killes Mynar Devis, and Harrar just because they could be killed, don't forget Cracken's demise.

21. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I'd give it a 6/10. Was going to go with a 7, but that didn't feel right to me.

A "moving right along" kind of plot. Lots of "regulars" pretty much left out, but that's not necessarily a bad thing; the more you involve, the more subplots you've got going, and have to write for.

I'm also sorry that Tahiri has become the focus of this series.

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 4 reviews: 30.5/4 = 7.63/10

23. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

It started off okay, but slowly the book grew on me. Yeah the duels weren't the best, nor were some of the main characters there. But does that mean the book isn't good because it doesn't focus on characters we like? That's rather selfish IMO. The stuff with Nen Yim and Harrar slowly coming around was great. There were also several moments where I laughed out loud. The smuggler cheif guy was really cool. If I was a pirate during the YV invasion, I'd be doing what that guy did. He seemed like an honorable guy. Sad to see Pash go, but hey, he was a pretty minor character. Let's be honest people. The fight at Bilbringi and the retaking of Fondor was cool. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. But anyone notice how Luke, Mara, Saba, Corran, Jacen and Tahiri are now all together? I smell a final book set up, ;) . The other group being Wedge, Leia, Han, Jaina, the "Grand Admiral", and Jag.

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    8 / 10

Like all novels since SbS, it probably would have rated higher if not for its large Anakin Solo-deficiency.

25. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    8.5/10

even though it was lacking some major charectors(Luke), it had really good interaction between the Vong(Harra, Yim, and Nom Amor) and the Jedi(Corran and Tahiri)

we learn some interesting facts about tahiri, and also about the Vong

Wedge is always good, and he lucked out again

it was sad to see Pash go, always like Pash

it was a good read