main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: THE RUINS OF DANTOOINE (RoD spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Sorry I'm late with this one. I've been out of town.

But you all know the drill:

Rate THE RUINS OF DANTOOINE on a scale from 1 to 10. Please don't rate the book until after you've finished it. Thank you.

Also, please supplement your rating of THE RUINS OF DANTOOINE with a few words (or a lot, as you see fit).

Links to previous review threads, in case you missed 'em:

Shatterpoint
    Tatooine Ghost
    Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
    Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
    Traitor
    Destiny's Way
    Force Heretic I: Remnant
    Force Heretic II: Refugee
    Force Heretic III: Reunion
    The Final Prophecy
    The Unifying Force

2. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    This book is already out?!?!? Yikes I'm behind in my readings.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I would give it an 8.5/10. I really liked it for the most part. However, the begining seemed to take to long. I also wish that a few characters would have been expanded on more, like Inquisitor Loam Redge.

Dusque Mistflier and Finn Dartkrin were pretty interesting characters, as was the Ithorian bioengineer who's name is escaping me right now. Leia, Luke, Han, Lando, and Vader all seemed believable to me. I was glad that Starfighter's Nym got a cameo as well.

4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 1 review: 8.5/10

I got the book last night; I'll try to have my own review up by tonight or tomorrow sometime.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I really enjoyed the book. I liked all of the original characters especially the Inquistor. The ending was a very cool twist but it did drag just a little at times.

9.2/10

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 2 reviews: 17.7/2 = 8.85

7. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Anyone else finished it yet?

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Up. My own review coming sometime today.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Does anyone else LOL when they see "RoD spoilers" in the title of this thread? ;)

10. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    I don't get it. :confused:

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I wanted to like this book. I really did. I'm on record saying I'm looking forward to it more than most of the upcoming CW books. After TUF, I was ready for a smaller, more character-oriented book, and this seemed to fit the bill. And usually when the books depart from the main movie characters it turns out quite well -- in fact, it was quite refreshing to see just a person from GFFA. A protagonist who's not a crack pilot, or a great warrior, or an über bounty hunter or anything, but just a woman trying to live her life. And I like the name Dusque (I assume it's pronounced Dusk?). But ROD just doesn't work, mostly because it just isn't well written. It's fast, sure, and it's not begging to be put down as unrelentingly as the Force Heretic books, which while I was reading them just about bored me to death, but as one of the resident lit fiends, I was literally wincing and cringing my way from page to page, because from the evidence presented here, Voronica Whitney-Robinson is simply not a good writer (I must admit to being quite interested to find out what "with Haden Blackman" means. Did he actually do any of the writing here, or is his name on the cover because of his involvement with the game itself?)

So, when I say it's not well written, what do I mean. Here are some examples:

There's far too much expository dialogue, particularly near the beginning, with characters saying things for the sole benefit of filling in gaps for the reader, and it's annoying.

Speaking of dialogue, it's weak. It doesn't sound right. Tip to all writers: when writing dialogue, read the lines out loud and determine whether they sound like anything anyone would ever actually say. If not, try again.

There are too many characters thrown in just to show up. Luke, Leia, Vader are forgivable, but Han and Lando and Wedge and Threepio and Artoo is just too much. Further, Luke, Leia, Threepio and Vader all felt too out of character. And it's such a busy time for these guys that there's no reason for them to be there. But it was nice to see Nym, I'll say. I do have a question, though: I'm not much of a continuity guru, but since when is there a Rebel base on Corellia so shortly after Yavin?

Similarly, there's too much name-dropping, particularly out of the Galaxies game itself. Why are there Zabraks everywhere? It seems that the only species in the galaxy are those playable in Galaxies, with the exception of a very few who showed up in the movies. And although there's a whole lot of name-dropping, the author betrays a lack of knowledge of the material when she talks about C-3POs walking around, or checking the radar. And "reptavian" is about to join "barve" on the most overused word list. And what's with Dathomir? From CoPL, I got the feeling Dathomir was a very obscure planet that nobody knew about. Then came the early ongoing comics on Dathomir, and I was a little upset about that, but I could forgive it -- maybe it was somehow forgotten in those intervening decades. But now, we have common people with Dathomirian beasts, a common biologist with detailed knowledge of Dathomirian fauna, a rebel and a pirate who've apparently seen some action on Dathomir . . . is there perhaps another Dathomir, remarkably similar to the one in CoPL in all respects except that it's well-known?

There are far too many clichés in the book, and far too many awkward sentences and phrases. For example: "Although he was surrounded, [he] was making no attempt to flee. (99)" Huh? Why is that "although" there? Is it common practice to attempt to flee when you're surrounded by armed troops? Another word for that is "suicide." "His arms fell limply to their sides. (139)" Again: Huh? His arms fell to their sides? Perhaps they fell to his sides. . . ". . .there seemed to be something sinister about it, like unspoken betrayals. (148)" I think this qualifies as the most ridiculous simile since the infamous "He collapsed like a sack of steak knives" from the StarGate novelization. Most of the book is writte

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 3 reviews: 21.2/3 = 7.07

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It was only so so.

There were a few good parts, especially those with Vader or Leia, but the rest of the book just dragged on.

So I give it a 5.

14. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 4 reviews: 26.2/4 = 6.55

15. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    6.55? Ugh. I loved that book and look what it gets.

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    The first chapter was pretty strong. Dusque is pretty likable. Luke, Leia, Threepio, Artoo, Han, Vader, and co. were all well characterized.

But I think overall, the book did not live up to expectations. I think that I agree with just about everything Mastadge had to say, and I?ll leave it at that. That things are open for a sequel is pretty obvious.

4/10.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    ...and my desire to read this book diminishes.

18. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    Disappointed by the book. I liked the prologue but after that it all went downhill.

4/10.

19. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I was looking for the book at the local bookstores and they didn't have it. I was in a bad mood over it, but I guess I can take consolation that it's not a good book and one I can afford to miss.

The only I'm curious about is does Luke and co. learn anything about Adi Gallia, including the circumstances of her death?

20. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    The only I'm curious about is does Luke and co. learn anything about Adi Gallia, including the circumstances of her death?

Nope.

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 6 reviews: 34.2/6 = 5.7

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Hm. Starting tomorrow I'm going to be out of town for a while; would someone volunteer to keep this thread up and visible for a while as reviews continue to trickle in?

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Anyone else read it yet?

24. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
  25. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Okay, I'm leaving for a while, so I won't be here to bring this thread up. . .