main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: YODA: DARK RENDEZVOUS (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I live in hope, lightsaber_wielder. :D [face_batting]

Hmmm, Mas is usually prompt to update the tally. It's been days. My honesty only brought it down like half a percent. As Agent Smith says, "Inevitability."

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Interesting that Whie is listed as being part of the RotS cast. I wonder if he'll just be an anonymous Jedi or if he'll actually have a line or two.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Whie was filmed as a character in RotS(don't know if he has lines-- I very much doubt it), and Stewert used him for DR.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Pronounced Wee, not Why?

5. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Ahh, I see. Thanks for that, Darth_Guy.

And when I read DR I pronounced it 'Why'.

6. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    "Why" would seem to make the most sense, given the similar pronunciation of the words "fie," "pie" and "lie." :)

7. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I tried it both ways at first but pronouncing it 'We' just sounded too silly to me.

8. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Removed Episode III information.

I loved this book, I'll give it a 9/10. Best CW book since Shatterpoint.

9. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Speaking of the dream premonition, anyone else notice what Whie said when him and Scout were almost attacked by OB1, Anakin and Yoda during the mistaken identity thing near the end ? After the Jedi realize their mistake, Whie impulsively hugs Anakin and says 'Im so glad that youre not coming to kill me !' Anakin laughs it off and its quickly glossed over, but I thought that that quick scene was pretty poignant. Even though it isnt ever confirmed, I think that Anakin is indeed the Jedi who Whie's dream predicted would kill him.

Thoughts ?

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Sorry. [face_blush]

Yeah, you gotta love the foreshadowing in this book... you know he's hinting at things, but not exactly what.

11. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Just in case you didn't know, this thread is for reviews, not for discussion.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    9/10.

I liked the rampant foreshadowing.*cough*Whie's death dream*cough*

13. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    One of the best SW books I've read in a long time.

10 / 10

Kam

14. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm around. Having a lot of trouble logging in from school, but once I'm home in a week will be posting and averaging things out as usual.

Abandon not hope, ye who enter here.

15. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    [Triumph]This was a pretty good book.... FOR ME TO POOP ON![/Triumph] :p

Seriously though, I thought this book was good. Maybe not as outstanding and magnificently wonderful as most folks here seem to think, but... good.

I do agree with Excellence on a few points, but none moreso than Scout being yet another red-haired, green-eyed female in Star Wars lit. I'm getting pretty sick of that as well.

I would give this book a rating of 6.5/10 seeing how, by my definition, a 5 on a scale of 1-10 is average . However, the concensus here seems to be that a 9 or above is an "A", anywhere from 8 to 8.99 is a "B", and so on. So, that being the case, I rate this book 8/10

16. NewbieWanShinobi

NewbieWanShinobi Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2004
    I am a newbie, bought my first SW EU book little over a year ago. Needless to say, instant addiction. It's nice to be able to share my thoughts with others who fantasize about a galaxy far, far away. I just discovered these forums today as I've always kind of lived in my own little universe here with these novels, but the more I've read, the more steeped in Jedi stories I have become until I just HAD to find people with the same love for this as I held dear. With that being said, here is my review for Yoda:Dark Rendezvous. Again, if it isn't the type of review you guys are used to sharing, my apologies, constructive criticism welcome.

Yoda : Dark Rendezvous by Sean Stewart
    Published by Del Rey Books
    $7.99 US/$10.99 Can
    Available Now!

Review by Mike Wright 12-13-05
    "The savage Clone Wars have forced the Republic to the edge of collapse. During the height of battle, one Jedi Knight escapes the carnage to deliver a message to Yoda on Coruscant. It appears that Dooku wants peace and demands a rendezvous. Chances are slim that the treacherous Count is sincere, but with a million lives at stake, Yoda has no choice.
    The meeting will take place on Vjun, a planet steeped in evil. The challenge could not be more difficult. Can Yoda win back his promising pupil from the dark side, or will Count Dookuu nleash his sinister forces against his former mentor? Either way, Yoda is sure of one thing,: This battle will be one of the fiercest he'll ever face."

SUMMARY:
    Jai Maruk, a Jedi Knight is allowed to escape death from Count Dooku and his protege Asajj Ventress in oder to deliver a message to Yoda that only he can understand. It is revealed that Dooku would like to attempt a truce with Yoda on the planet Vjun, which is very powerful with the dark side. Yoda thinks it a trap but he must go if the smallest chance that the Clone Wars can be ended exists. He conjures up a team consisting of 2 Jedi Masters and two padwans. Jai-Murk, the Jedi who lived to tell of his battle with Ventress, his padwan, Scout, a red-headed fireball with all the tenacity in the world who won her title as padwan through a tournament of apprentices, Maks Leem, a motherly Gran whom all the children liked because of her sweet disposition, and her padwan Whie, a troubled young man so strong in the Force for his years that he has visions of his own death, are the chosen four to help sneak Yoda out of Coruscant. Whie's visions begin to take a turn for the weird as he sees himself being killed by a Jedi with Scout leaned over him bleeding and Ventress beside them. He deduces he is going to fall to the dark side soon as it is a Jedi's blade that strikes him down in the dream. The team hides Yoda in an R2 unit and dresses up a small actor to look exactly like Yoda so that it appears as though he is leaving the planet much later after he actually does. Sure enough, the ship that contained the actor was disabled and captured by Ventress leaving the world to fear Master Yoda dead.Meanwhile, on the freighter transport, Scout and Whie seperately run into a pair of droids, Solis and Fidelis. It is become known from Fidelis that Whie is part of a very wealthy Malreaux lineage from the planet Vjun. The House Malreaux being the newheadquartersof Count Dooku. One of the droids contacts Ventress to tell of Yoda's location. The Jedi are ambushed waiting for the transfer shuttle from where they landed to Vjun. During the battle, Yoda escapes by making a hole in the floor and dropping through his R2 to the parking garage. There he discovers the actor in Asajj's ship. The actor started a self-destruct in the ship which would have destroyed the entire installationhad Yoda not had him detatch the ship as he pushed it into space with the Force. Meanwhile, Asajj killed Jai Maruk and Maks Leem as the hull was being breached. Scout was also injured by assassin droids until Whie came into the battle. There he comes face to face with the woman in his visions. She threatens but he is confident that this is not the place he dies in his dream and confronts her with words. She escape

17. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    I refuse to get my hopes up as I've heard that half the people on covers these days only makes cameos in the novels (i.e. Asajj on the cover of The Cestus Deception).

Heh, Dooku didn't even have a cameo in The Cestus Deception. :p

Not a crack against the novel, you understand, it's a fine book, but, c'mon, who's designing these covers?

18. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I've only read about 10-12 EU books so I probably can't compare it to others aswell as the rest of you guys, but I loved DR and of the books I've read its definatly one of my favourites. I really liked Scout by the way, I see some people saying her character type is too common in the EU but that doesn't really bother me since I haven't read enough EU.

I loved the idea of focussing on a weak Jedi, I hope this isn't her last appearance in the EU, I'd probably buy other books shes in. I was very surprised when the two Jedi Masters were killed by Ventress, I kept thinking they'd be saved or their injuries wouldn't be too bad, but nope. Really makes Ventress come across as very powerful. When Ventress stole Obi-Wan and Anakin's ship, the way it was written and delivered by Obi-Wan made me laugh.

I'd give DR 9.5/10

"Dissapointment like I do not, apprentice. Give me my rose!" :cool:

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 38 ratings: 348.75/38 = 9.18

20. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Just finished it last night, and I loved it!
    I never thought it would be better than Shatterpoint, but I think it is :D

Can't be bothered to do a lengthy review, so I'll just give it a good 9.9 :)

21. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I think this is the first PT book that I've really gotten to love. Sure, I liked MedStar, Republic Commando and to a certain extent Jedi Trial, but this book. . . this took the cake.

I almost didn't get into the book at all, for it started off slow with me. I tend to not like reading about PT movie characters and when the first 50 pages where either
    Dooku, Yoda or Ventress I wanted to cry. But after that when it went to Scout, it was an awesome experience. I loved the tournament and how Scout won dirty, the way most Jedi prefer not to fight.

Yoda. . . was a trip. And to me it was interesting to learn that Yoda apparently has always preferred a 'disgusting' meal like we see in ESB and he had a sense of humor even in dark moments.

Awesome book, definatly one of the few PT books worth re-reading IMO.

10/10.

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 40 ratings: 368.65/40 = 9.22

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    This is definetly the best clone wars novel. The characters are very nicely written, and it's such a good mix of humour, adventure and tragedy. I was even more impressed with the way Palpatine could control Dooku by sending Anakin to Vjun.

Evil R2 was among the best things in the whole EU, and I never thought master Yoda would steal food from children. [face_laugh]

The only disappointment was that the only people that hadn't gotten their individual names were Padmé's handmaidens. :(

I give it 9.9/10

24. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    hmmm... i wouldn't say that this was the best CW novel yet, but it was one of the top ones. yoda was characterized well i think, although sometimes when he spoke for paragraphs, they kinda skimped on his dialogue style. interesting to see dooku's relationship with asajj, yoda and sidious. padawan-trying-to-prove-herself theme is starting to get cliche.

i'd give it 8.75 out of 10.

25. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Im still absolutely baffled that this is book is receiving some of the highest ratings Ive ever seen since these review threads started. Did I read the same book that you guys did, because no matter how hard I try, I just cant see all of these wonderful things in this book that you all did.