main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The JC.NGL Cool Game Idea Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Jun 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    More like uber-death.

But if you consider it, like the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 'Myriad' mod, if you want one massive world, you can get 20 teams working on 20 smaller worlds, stick 'em alltogether, and presto, one massive world.

2. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Here's my game idea...

The game is basically like Grand Theft Auto. But a much bigger map. The story is pretty much like GTA. You commit crimes and get money. But in this game, you're actually an undercover cop. However, you are also a somewhat dirty cop. So you basically control your character over whether to bust certain criminals or work for them and get on top of the underworld yourself. There are multiple criminal organizations. There's the Sicilian Mafia, Russian Mafia, Yakuza, Triads, Irish Mafia, Bloods/Crips, etc. Each organization is at war with one or two others. So if you work for the Yakuza, you gain respect from them, but your respect from the Triads goes down.

You can also do things for the cops. You can train with a SWAT team to gain skills and access to weapons. You can eventually even work for the FBI.

Of course, there's also plenty of GTA-style freedom. While you aren't on a mission, you can explore the city. You can buy (or steal) an import car. As you gain money, you can trick out the car, adding nitrous oxide systems, undercar lighting, etc, and race in street races (like Fast and Furious).

You can also have your own little gang. You can use their help on missions that require more than one body. Examples of these missions might be heists, or bank robberies. You can also do your own missions for yourself with your gang. You can steal expensive cars (like Gone in 60 Seconds), and store them in a warhouse that you'd have to buy. You can buy many properties, even take over whole areas of the city.

If you chose to be a good cop, and then eventually work for the FBI, they'll give you a "brain implant". What this allows you to do is slow down the events happening around you (like bullet time in Matrix) for a certain period of time. At any point in the game you can be a good or bad cop. So after you acquire the brain implant, you can use it for criminal activities.

There would be so many things to do in this game. The main story would just be a fraction of the fun.

A few cool completely original features:

-you can crouch behind a wall, and roll a grenade on the floor at your enemy
    -if you steal a cement truck, you can actually pour the cement out the back, which hardens after a while
    -if you earn a very high score on the training with the SWAT team, they will be loyal to you. If you need to take out a Mafia stronghold for example, you can use your SWAT team to help you out.
    -if you steal a fire truck, on the back there is a Jaws of Life which you can actually use
    -you can train at a dojo to learn a certain style of martial arts, including weapon styles (samurai swords, ninja stars)

There are tonnes of other features I won't list, just because someone might steal my ideas :p

Anyone who took the time to read all that, tell me what you think :D

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I didn't read it.

If it was a cool idea, it wouldn't take 20 minutes to read.

4. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    You obviously took the time to read the last sentence. Which means you must have read the whole thing, otherwise you wouldn't have known what was written in the last sentence. Unless you have some sort of fetish for reading only the last lines of posts, then you just contradicted yourself.

Why do you even bother participating in this thread if you don't want to read what others have to say. And for your information, it would take an average reader around one minute to read what I wrote, not 20 minutes. Unless, you have dyslexia or other reading and/or vision probelms, then it would not take you 20 minutes to read the post.

That last line was borderline, so don't compound it. That goes for both of you.

5. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Like the other dude, your game is too big. Too much stuff for the game to keep track on. It's basically what the guys behind the GTA series REALLY had in mind, but couldn't make and still can't make because it's enormous.

And the brain implant thing; ruins it all, just forget about that. Why are everyone so fixed on bullet-time these days? Just keep it realistic.

Oh, and being a cop has already been used in True Crime so it's not that original. Still it's fun so who cares, right?

6. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Um... to be honest, your idea is'nt 'like' GTA. It IS GTA, with random bits stuck in from other games that make it more and more unfeasable, I mean... where's the inspiration?

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "You obviously took the time to read the last sentence. Which means you must have read the whole thing."

Um, no. I didn't read any of your post.

8. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    Here we go again...

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Hey hey hey, keep your pants on people. It's not that bad of an idea anyway, Even__Piell.

10. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    Um, no. I didn't read any of your post.

Your logic sucks more than your game idea.

You didn't read my post, remember? How do you know it sucks? ...

Like the other dude, your game is too big. Too much stuff for the game to keep track on. It's basically what the guys behind the GTA series REALLY had in mind, but couldn't make and still can't make because it's enormous.

Most games are "enormous". Try explaining every detail of any game in one sentence.

And the brain implant thing; ruins it all, just forget about that. Why are everyone so fixed on bullet-time these days? Just keep it realistic.

Everyone is "fixed" on bullet-time because it is fun, and one of the coolest gameplay features out there.

Oh, and being a cop has already been used in True Crime so it's not that original.

Being a cop's been done, and so has being a criminal. Being both has never been done as far as I know.

Um... to be honest, your idea is'nt 'like' GTA. It IS GTA, with random bits stuck in from other games that make it more and more unfeasable, I mean... where's the inspiration?

The inspiration is GTA. Just because it sounds like GTA in your mind doesn't mean it is GTA. I admit, it borrows heavily from GTA, but then again don't so many other games out now do so?

11. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    The Sell

Publisher: So, we hear you're a first time developer, what plans do you have for your first game?
    You: Well, I've got this really great idea for an expansive action title.
    Publisher: Oh? Go on.
    You: It's Grand Theft Auto, with more bits added on.
    Publisher: I see...
    You: Good, eh?
    Publisher: ...I've got a meeting with Rockstar North in 2 hours.
    You: Right?
    Publisher: Why can you make Grand Theft Auto better than they can?
    You: Because I'm inspired?
    Publisher: I'm going to take a Coffee break Maureen, I think I've got a headache coming on.

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Mr. Sublety drives home yet another point.

13. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    Oh... and while I think of it...

Most games are "enormous". Try explaining every detail of any game in one sentence.

Surprisingly enough, one of the best games I've played in the last 3 months can be summed up in the words:

Blow Things Up By Blowing Yourself Up. Make Combos.

Surprisingly enough, a REALLY good game idea only takes less than 10 words.

14. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    You're talking

-Every one of you're actions has an impact on the future, like Fable, right?

-Bumch of moves such as martial arts combos and other nice stuff like rolling grenades towards your enemy from around a corner

-lots of different plot lines based on your actions

-team-based combat with gangster members or SWAT guys

-obviously lots of AI bots

-ability to interact with every single person you meet

-an even bigger map than the latest GTA titles and even including indoor areas for all buildings.

This is what I mean by enormous. Okay? However, I think this will be the future of gaming. Right now there's a big buzz around Fable and how your every action shapes your destiny. And when the first GTA was released there was a big buzz about the free gameplay it introduced. Being entirely free and shaping one's own destiny are probably the most demanded and anticipated features for a game. What you're doing is combining both of those and I don't see how that can not be a success. But there's still a lot of time left until we're capable of making stuff like this.

15. Even__Piell

Aug 6, 2001
    SoloCommand, do I really need to clarify? Name a console game, not some poor internet game that probably took the person less than a month to make.

And would you guys lay off? I'm just trying to communicate some ideas that I think are cool, which is what this thread is about. I don't need a bunch of people to be up my bum about it.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The Games forum earns it rep fair and square. :(

17. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    Yes you DO need to Clarify.
    Poor Internet Game? ...
    You would'nt believe how much your last post just pissed me off.
    Games are all about branding these days, there is no [expletive] innovation anywhere in the industry, with sequal after sequal, fps after fps, GTA clone after GTA. ...

Please don't EVER call any game that exhibits a shread of inspiration poor. Regardless of whether of not it's less than 10MB in size, how long you think it took the one person developer to make it and whether or not it was pulled off the internet.

And you asked for it.

13 of the Best Games Ever Created, explanined in a sentance or less.
      Elite
      Fly around the galaxy, taking out pirate after pirate, until you earn the most heralded rank ever, Elite.

Pac Man
      Eat power pills. Avoid Ghosts.

The Sims
      A simple, fun and inteligent (until it was monkeyed up by a plethora of crummy expansion packs) way to lead a digital life, where you create a family, build a house, and sustain it.

Tie Fighter
      A Space Simulator where you take on the role of an evil imperial pilot, blasting away as many Rebel Forces as possible, while being a wretched villian.

Tony Hawks Skateboarding
      Skateboarding. With Tony Hawks. On the Computer.

Shenmue
      Take the life of Ryo Hazuki, and explore a world where you can do anything you can do in real life, while solving the puzzle of Lan Di and the death of your father.

Soul Calibur
      Tekken with weapons. Only Cooler.

Half Life
      Guide Gordon Freeman through the Black Mesa Compound and beyond, as things get FUBAR after an experiment gone wrong.

Theme Park
      I don't need to bother explaining this one...
      ...I must say, I'm really looking forward to Half Life 2, it looks soooo cool, and the physics and the havoc and everything, OMG, I have to play it. It's really cool that they managed to arrest those hacking bastards who stole the source code, I know I'd give them the chair if I was prosecutiting, tee-hee.

Final Fantasy VII
      Play a Story. Level up. Aeris Dies. More Leveling up. Defeat Evil.

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
      Age Of Empires. Strikes Back.

Halo
      Battle against Aliens (or the Covenant, for all you fanboys) for control of a giant space ring, oh, there's a catch, you can only carry 2 weapons.

Black and White
      Play God, Control Giant Apes/Zebras/Lions/Turtles, Throw Rocks at Things. Be Good or Evil.

As you can see. Most Games are downright simple. It's how they're pulled off that makes the difference. A Good Game Director will sit and think about a project, and while seeing it through, will be sure to use every single creative feature, using all the inspiration they can muster (like Peter Molyneux, who just oozes inspiration) on they can think of to make the game so much more.
    Take Far Cry for example, on the surface, it's a Tech Demo for the developers new game engine, but the intricacies of the game that are diabolically clever, with level design and set-pieces that make it a stroke of genius.

Your idea. Is complicated.
    And all it does is showcase a number of features that have been used in other games that people have found cool, mixed with a dose of Over-The-Top realism and depth.
    In comparison to the games I've just mentioned, yours is a mess.

18. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    This guy's idea can also be explained very simply:

Play as a cop in a digital city where your every action changes the future, and do pretty much whatever you want.

or:

A clone of GTA with much more depth

or:

Live your life in a fantasy world instead of the real world

That last one can be explained in an even easier way: The Truman Show.

19. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    The hilarious thing is, he does'nt see it that way.

//chuckles

20. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Geez, SC, you're pawning everyone.

21. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    The hilarious thing is, he does'nt see it that way.

You lost me there. Who are you referring to? :confused:

22. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    We're not being reasonable to the poor dude. If he had walked in and said "I wish they would make a game like GTA with much more depth", people would say "No kidding. Who doesn't?". He has to explain how he would give it depth. If he had presented his post as "ideas for the GTA's of tomorrow", he would have gotten much better responses.

23. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    We're not being reasonable to the poor dude

I meant " We're not being reasonable with the poor dude". It was too late to edit when i found out about it. Sorry.

24. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    There are many reasons why it's better to play Adventure and RPG games without big pauses in between. The most obvious one is that it gives you a better experience - there's more excitement as to how the story will turn out that way, but another reason is that you forget what you were supposed to do.

"Oh yes, I was supposed to get that stone...how was i supposed to do that? I had to talk to that guy, and he sent me to that other guy, but I had to bring something for him first...what was I supposed to bring him? I cant remember..." Sounds familiar? You wish you could just slap a post-it note to a sign nearby to make things easier. Wait! That's it!

A useful item for Adventure and RPG's would be notes that you could slap to road signs nearby or trees or what-have-you to help you stay on track. You write the notes by yourself of course. With a game pad, it's a bit complicfated, but if we can write file-names, I'm sure we can manage. After all the notes don't have to be so very long either, do they? The Nintendo DS and its touch screen would be perfect for this idea.

25. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    A game like Rebellion

When you get in a space battle, it launches an X-Wing type flight sim

When you invade a planet/get invaded, it launches a Battlefront type game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.