main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The JCC Awards Ceremony (now presenting: BEST POSTER!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The Library of Alexandria's version of Xenforo was probably more up to date than ours, at least.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This started because I was asking how to conceptualize threads as real life interactions. When you asked why, I explained that it was because I don't see the internet as real. You chose to interpret that as a condemnation of every interaction you ever had online as worthless. But if that were the case, I wouldn't be trying to imagine them as scenarios that, by my logic, did have meaning. This contradiction was not beyond noticing, and could've hinted that you'd missed my intent.

Regardless, though, what's the point of your post? What is "my wheelhouse?" Being a bad communicator? I suppose that's quite possible.

3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Being intentionally obtuse.

SuperWatto and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You're all words on a computer screen to me.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You're all human beings, to me... some I like better than others, but you're all "real", as far as I'm concerned.

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    At least until we discover otherwise...

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I like some of you more than others, but I like all of you less than Frieda.

harpua, Boba Nekhbet and mrsvos like this.
  8. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I lurv you David.

dp4m likes this.
  9. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Literally none of this has anything to do with the idea of how long some imaginary awards show is supposed to last in our shared hallucination.

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Wocky, go get the beers in.

yeurgh and FatBurt like this.
  11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes it does. To give threads meaning and context, I imagine a real life setting for them. When they keep making explicit reference to the real passage of time, I try to anchor the setting in those references. Except I can't do that here, because the length of time this is going on is variable between the different podcasts and posts. That's literally all I've been trying to say this whole time.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

So, what's the real life setting when you refer to Secretary Clinton as "Vile Lady" for 14 months?

a star war likes this.
  13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Election and primary threads have about two or three different operative environments. In one, things are set-up basically like a rally, with a central podium and everyone else seated below it. That's where people went when they made the huge, speech-like posts that tried to grasp at something larger. So soem of your big Clinton moments, the Yodaminch classics, the Hero of 400 Years variety posts. I imagine a lot of Vivec's later posts happened there, too. And the crowd around them was either jeering the speaker and shouting them down, or cheering along with them raucously while a few dissenters brooded quietly.

Otherwise, it was much more of a coffee house setup. People just sort of idly chatted about the news and sometimes tried to expand them into a broader debate. At some level, though, it was a pretext to all just sit around together sipping tea or fruit juice. Unlike in the other setting, to, there is no anonymous crowd. Everyone is sort of just their own self, and it better acknowledges the idea of regulars who know one another. By contrast, the one above was geared more towards true believers trying to make an impassioned plea of some kind.

EDIT: Also, I would like to point out that Even's suggestion, and out of concern for the unintended implications of that name, she was officially retitled "The Usurper" some time ago.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this is fascinating. please pass the fruit juice. do you imagine everyone's faces or do you draw on your memories of the picture thread? and then anyone who you haven't seen a picture of is like a robot or anthropomorphized forest creature? or maybe you imagine us all as characters from wild wild west. i must know more.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I just assume he's Jon Peters and trying to squeeze a giant, mechanical spider into everything...

tom likes this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Variable. Rogue1.5 is himself. Nekhbet is a woman in Egyptian garb with a bird for a head. Just whatever I think I'm most familiar with, and what makes sense contextually.

Rogue1-and-a-half and tom like this.
  17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    how do you see yourself?

18. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

[​IMG]

20. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Wocky, can you start a sign up thread and do us all a thing where you post how you imagine us?

21. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    naturally.

Point Given and tom like this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    But wait. Not a bird's head? Just an entire bird where her head should be? Feet to head, like it's sitting on her neck stump? Because that is way better than just a bird's head.

23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013

how does wocky actually see himself?

Jabba-wocky

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Uh... you know that's actually a pic of wocky, right?

25. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    no, I don't/didn't

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.