main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The JCC Gardening Club

Discussion in 'Community' started by G-FETT, Apr 29, 2016.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Generally spraying your veg (but that would non-organic of course) is the only sure-fire way to keep them at bay.

The white leaf caterpillar can do tremendous damage to your "Greens" (Cabbages, Brussels, etc.)

Time for an update Re. 2017 growing season;

Buckby Peas are flowering:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Potatoes looking good;

[​IMG]

Tomatoes looking good;

[​IMG]

First flower appearing on the tomatoes;

[​IMG]

Summer cabbages, cauli's and calabrese are looking well

[​IMG]

Broad Beans (which I sowed in November) have set - They should be ready for a first "pick" in a couple of weeks;

[​IMG]

Sweetcorn (which I put on on Tuesday) still looking a bit sorry for itself - It'll get it's "feet" in soon;

[​IMG]

Just planted my runner beans out this morning - That's the last of the planting out for now - Will do some more runner beans in around a month or so for Autumn;

[​IMG]

Overall a very successful growing season so far.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    My basil seedlings did not fair well. Or perhaps it's just that I should have started sooner. Went to the farmer's market and picked up more basil plants and more mint. Even though my sugar snap peas I started from seeds are doing ok, also got a couple sugar snap peas plants because they were huge already. My zucchini went and died, but after talking with to the guy I buy plants from and finding out they don't do well in pots, I guess I won't feel bad.

G-FETT and corinthia like this.
  3. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    First time posting here in this thread, but I finally have something to post about! (Though I love reading about everyone else's gardening exploits)

Summer garden went in the other weekend-- I'm very excited for what I've got planted this year. The pole beans have recently sprouted and are about 3" tall now. I've also got loads of lettuce, some kale, onions, pimentos, poblanos, jalapeños, sweet bell peppers, cucumber, zucchini, tomatoes, and a rhubarb. I moved some raspberries that were already in one of my beds into a different bed and they're still looking pretty shocked, but I'm sure they'll pull through for me. I also put in at least twice as many strawberries as I had already in the ground, and planted some birdhouse gourds, too.

I'm also working on getting together a fairly large herb garden. I had sage, oregano, mint, and chives already planted, but added some thyme, cilantro, dill, some new rosemary to replace the rosemary bush my mom killed last year (grr!), and I have some Spanish tarragon and chamomile starting from seeds. I also put some basil in a pot, and a wasabi plant that I am very curious about figuring out how to use at some point...

I'm also looking forward to my fruits and berries. I have some apple trees that I planted with my family on our property when I was probably 3 or 4 years old; they look like they'll be putting out a great crop this year. I also have some blueberries on the way, and the cherry tree looks to be doing fine, too. The grape arbor is looking like it's going to be more harvest than I can handle (again!), so hopefully I'll get lots of yummy grape jelly again. I also have a peach tree, and it tries so hard every year to put out peaches (we usually get about 10 little baby peaches, all of which shrivel and die), but I'm in Oregon, which is definitely not the best peach climate.

Maybe I'll post some photos in the coming weeks!

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Healer_Leona and corinthia like this.
  5. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    You know you live up north when its almost June, and its still too cold to plant. Its so cold, I can see my breath. [face_dunno]

I'm keeping things simple this year. Just cauliflower, watermelon, cannellini beans & sweet potatoes. Something is wrong with my watermelon seedlings, so I went out and bought some. The cauliflower seedlings are super happy. Last year, I direct seeded the cannellini beans. At the rate things are going, I wonder if I should've started them inside. Still don't know when the sweet potatoes are going to ship.

G-FETT and corinthia like this.
  6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Where are you Jade? Peas will generally be happy in cool Summer conditions as well.

7. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm in Maine. Last summer was really warm. This summer, not so much. 45F and raining today. I tried peas last year, and they didn't do well. No taste at all, which was disappointing. I'm trying to limit the size of things this year, since I hurt my wrist.

G-FETT likes this.
  8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Peas won't do well in very hot conditions. They like it cool and damp (perfect for growing in a British Summer really)

45F (7C) is very cool for end of May!!!

Cutting back is a good idea if you've got a painful wrist.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We bought a **** ton of tomato plants on Friday for the vegetable garden. It begins (continues?).

G-FETT and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Oct 8, 2000
    G-FETT So, can heat affect how peas taste? We also get cold, wet summers here. Last year was unusually hot. All of June, July and August were very hot (80-90F). Normally, we just get a couple weeks like that in July/August.

I'm just glad we haven't had any snow. We have had snow in May & June in the past. Nothing quite like snow on top of mud.

G-FETT likes this.
  11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    If it's very hot the peas will dry out and rapidly lose their taste.

It also depends what variety you are growing of course.

12. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    Got out and took some pictures of the lovely garden today!

[​IMG]
    Still need to weed around the stones in the center... But I'm hesitant to pull up the dandelions, because I have a recipe for dandelion bread I'd like to try...

[​IMG]
    The herb bed, under one of the apple trees. This is the bed the dog likes to jump over/through, so all my chives are bent.

[​IMG]
    My peppers. Lil baby poblano in the front there needs to hurry up and get big and strong!

[​IMG]
    The tomatoes

[​IMG]
    Kale, lettuce, and onions. This is my first try with onions, so we'll see how this goes...

[​IMG]
    Two types of cucumber, and zucchini squash.

[​IMG]
    Strawberries and blueberries. I think only one of my blueberry bushes actually made any berries this year...

[​IMG]
    Go beans, go!

[​IMG]
    The raspberries, looking sorry for themselves.

[​IMG]
    And last but not least, my grapes, going absolutely gangbusters.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    corinthia

Very good. Your garden is VERY tidy! Everything looks great! :D

corinthia likes this.
  14. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Seeing this thread made me remember to water my plants! Thank you! :)

Question: A sweet potato and a geranium are both flourishing in a pot. Any idea how hard it would be to separate one from the other or are too they happy co-existing? I don't want to break them up if they are bros or in love or something. [face_love]

G-FETT likes this.
  15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hi Yvette. Not sure to be honest. Probably depends how big the pot is but if its only small you might find the sweet potato gets a bit big for the Geranium in the end...

I'm having my first picking of Arran Pilot potatoes which I grew in the greenhouse - Their looking pretty good methinks.

[​IMG]

16. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I recently planted green beans, but the relative with whom I planted them passed away recently, so harvesting them has been bittersweet.
    What would y'all recommend for an easy garden?

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Depends on the climate where you are. Can you narrow it down to a part of your country?

BookExogorth likes this.
  18. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I threw out a bad potato once.

A few weeks later, I saw this weed thing in the yard and mowed it down.

It was the potato.

Chancellor_Ewok and G-FETT like this.
  19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I was abroad for a month and I came home to find out that my husband never noticed that we had a spider mite infestation on our verandah -- all 42 pots, from herbs to geraniums to trees. I spent my afternoon making an oil-soap-cayenne mix and spraying the plants :mad:

G-FETT and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  20. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    Southeast US.

G-FETT likes this.
  21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Going to be pretty hot down there so has to be something that can stand up to high temperatures? Maybe sweetcorn (maize?)

I'm trying out "reflective owls" to try and stop the pigeons from attacking my brassica's - I think they look rather funky - Will let you'll know if they work lol

[​IMG]

BookExogorth and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Spider mite update: cayenne pepper for the win! I got rid of them (I'm sure the oil and soap helped too :p ) but I did have a few casualties among my plants. I'm trying to root some cuttings of morning glory to fill the empty pots, but I think it's too hot already for this year.

BookExogorth How hot does it get where you are? Here in Athens Greece it's the *real* summer (meaning 30°C and more) and what we can still start straight into the garden in terms of veggies is beetroot, radishes, cucumbers and squash. It's already too hot to start pretty much anything else, but those four are very easy as long as you water them properly.

G-FETT, BookExogorth and Juliet316 like this.
  23. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    So my pot plant is up and running. Bring on the sun.

G-FETT and Juliet316 like this.
  24. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    So far it hasn't gotten too hot... but that isn't usual. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chyntuck and G-FETT like this.
  25. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    My tomatoes appear to have Aphids! :(