main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The JCC Gardening Club

Discussion in 'Community' started by G-FETT, Apr 29, 2016.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Summer continues here - Going to reach 32c tomorrow. :eek:

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Brussel plants looking really well;

[​IMG]

But a little concerned at how slow the actual Brussels are from "firming up"

[​IMG]

3. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Things have been a bit strange here. Out of all the carrots I planted, it looks like only 1 germinated. No onions, spinach or parsnips. The watermelons, beans and tomatoes have been very happy. So far I have 5 pretty good size watermelons. The sweet potatoes are going crazy, too. The peppers don't seem happy at all, despite feeding, watering and a pretty hot summer. Out of 64 plants, only 1 had grown big enough to start making peppers.

I thought broccoli and cauliflower were supposed to be very difficult to grow, but mine are doing pretty well. The broccoli is just in soil that got turned over and rototilled. Added some horse manure to the soil where the cauliflower is. We already have some broccoli with more on the way.

Our whole summer has been in the 80s & 90s (26-33c)....normally we only get a week or 2 like that. Now we're going through that lovely time where temps fluctuate wildly. 80F/26c yesterday, 46F/8c last nite, and now 70F/21c today. Won't be too long until frost sets in.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Those Brussels are cute. I've never seen them as they are growing - just in the shops.

5. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    my mini-garden was a bust this year... but i did get a couple dozen strawberries out of it... the watermelon and eggplant only produced flowers.. ?

HOWEVER!!! my indoor plants this year, started from seed this last spring, are doing AMAZING! lemongrass, mugwort, datura, czech lavender, and patchouli!
    all thriving... so, i am calling it a successful gardening season :p

Juliet316 , slightly_unhinged and tom like this.
  6. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    I may be posting on the wrong thread, but I'm looking for some building/landscaping advice. I want to build a pergola in my front yard. (It will incidentally be covering half of my garden.)

Any reccomendations for wood type or difficulty level of attached vs. free-standing pergolas?

7. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Well, 2 plants were female and are flowering.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I bought a sapling of a fig tree two years ago and this year I bought a dwarf Meyer Lemon tree, a Sango Kaku Japanese maple sapling and Kwanzan cherry blossom sapling. My backyard neighbor has a bunch of fruit trees in his backyard and he trimmed his trees one weekend about a month or so ago and a couple days afterwards the leaves of my four saplings started to turn brown and die. I'm not sure what happened. My initial though was my neighbor's tree trimming might have something to do with it, like some toxic spores were released or something. Or perhaps some pesticides were used. The fig tree looked dead, but I keep watering as normal and move it away from my neighbor's fence and now it's thriving again. The Japanese maple and Lemon tree just seem to be holding steady but no real growth. The Kwanzan cherry tree hasn't made a recovery since losing all its leaves.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Having out last pic of Runner beans today.

Don't think they've done too badly considering we started picking in July;

[​IMG]

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Early rows of runner beans ready to harvest for next years bean seed;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sauntaero likes this.
  11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    First harsh frost of the season has left my Brussels and Sprouters looking rather shook up

[​IMG]

12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Ya got the last of the peppers this week. My garden is closed for business

G-FETT likes this.
  13. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    G-FETT, those are some beautiful beans! Good on you for keeping the seeds, too. And those brussels look like they may bounce back. Hope springs eternal?? Or summer, this year. We got some light freezes at the beginning of Oct but nothing since. Covered the tomatoes so they got away with singed tops, so they're still ripening. Just s-l-o-w-l-y... I want to do one more picking, but as there's no sign of frost or snow in the next two weeks, who knows!

starfish and G-FETT like this.
  14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Yeah, the Brussels and Sprouters will be fine. Has to get down to around -10c (14f) to start doing damage to them.

It does look mild in the US for the time being. I'm actually hearing it could be quite a mild US winter this year actually.

starfish likes this.
  15. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    this seems like a nice place to hang out while everything else is happening elsewhere on the boards.

i don't have a garden though, but i have four indoor plants that i like a lot.

G-FETT likes this.
  16. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    What indoor plants do you have Zapdos?

G-FETT, great your saving seeds, thanks for making this thread, was fun seeing everyone's pics all year.

We had a frost a few weeks ago here in Maine, so I'm mostly done with the garden this year.

G-FETT likes this.
  17. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    wow. I have a question which vegetables I can plants during the winter before we starting having snow?
    We have snow till March.

18. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    The easiest one is garlic! Plant it when it's getting cold (as in freezing) every night. Cover it with some hay or leaves as mulch. Once the snow melts & the sun warms the soil, it'll take off! Onions can do the same, but they rot a bit easier if we get lots of snow, I've found.You can do the same with peas, but they will die off if they thaw and sprout before spring.

Parsnips can be seeded anytime in the fall, they'll sprout and grow as long as they can, and usually overwinter. Covering them with mulch also helps. I haven't tried carrots or beets, but it probably depends on what your definition of "winter" is whether they can survive or not! :p

G-FETT likes this.
  19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    No more gardening for me, the yard is being converted into a bomb shelter.

Sauntaero and G-FETT like this.
  20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Thanks Star. It has been a fun thread hasn't it. :cool:

You and me both... Anderson Shelter on order from Amazon as we speak....

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    My garden is a total mess right now. I need a leaf blower.

22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

I tend not to bother. I just leave the leaf's to break down in the garden over winter.

If you have a Horse Chestnut tree though it is important to gather up the leafs and burn them because it's within the fallen leafs that the leaf miner month lurks under the tree and then they come back and attack the tree again next year.

It's believed these constant attacks from the leaf minor eventually lower the tree's resistance and allow the bleeding canker disease to get into the trees bark... And that's the one that actually kills the tree.

Within 20 years we might be entirely without the beautiful Horse Chestnut in the UK :(

[​IMG]

23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I have a love-hate relationship with my tree. I love the green, the smell, and the rustling, but it takes away 50% of the sunshine in my small garden, and those leaves! Those leaves. If I leave them there, it's not good for the lawn. So every day I rake, and every day I look up in dismay to see how many leaves still need to fall.

G-FETT likes this.
  24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    What sort of tree is it?

25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    A sycamore tree.

G-FETT likes this.