main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jedi cause their own demise

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BattleRanger, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BattleRanger

BattleRanger Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2004
    The birth of Anakin Skywalker to Shmi Skywalwker wasn't coincidence. It was, in fact, an evolutionary tactic to balance the Force. The shift was the result of the stale procedures of the Jedi Order, who kept Force sensitive indiviuals in strict protocols and standards. Politics corrupted their kind and left the Force out of whack. It took the materializing of a "Chosen One" to strike down the Jedi masses and put into play one of the most respected forms of population control: The Death Star. And with his own blood line leaping foward with the birth of Luke and Leia, Anakin's destiny to balance the Force would be passed down. What do you guys think?

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "The birth of Anakin Skywalker to Shmi Skywalwker wasn't coincidence."
    I agree

"It was, in fact, an evolutionary tactic to balance the Force. The shift was the result of the stale procedures of the Jedi Order, who kept Force sensitive indiviuals in strict protocols and standards."

I think it was something which was going to happen. I don't actually think that it was the result of the way the Jedi and the Republic were operating. It has little to do with evolution in my opinion. It is to balance the Force. The Force needs to be balanced at the time. I don't think it has anything to do with passing down good traits and surival of the fittest. I see your opinion. Your saying that because of the way the galaxy was corrupted, the Force created Anakin. I disagree with that.

"Politics corrupted their kind and left the Force out of whack. It took the materializing of a "Chosen One" to strike down the Jedi masses and put into play one of the most respected forms of population control: The Death Star."
    Politics was corrupted
    The Jedi needed to be reformed.
    Anakin chose to reform them by getting rid of them.

Really if you think about it the Death star really does little to control the population. It eliminated one planet. If you think, that is nothing in GFFA. There are trillions upon trillions of people in this galaxy. The death of a few thousand or a few million is nothing in the big picture. Not much population control.

"And with his own blood line leaping foward with the birth of Luke and Leia, Anakin's destiny to balance the Force would be passed down. What do you guys think?"

Anakin did balance the Force...so there is really nothing to pass down. He finished the job. Brining balance is not a trait which you get from your father. I think Anakin passed down his Force ablities and skills to his children. His job is done the Force is in balance. So I don't think his destiny to balance the Force is passed down.

Anyway interesting thoughts.

-Seldon

3. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    Yeah, I think balancing the force just had to do with eliminating the Sith. However, I do think the Jedi somewhat caused their own downfall in that I do think they did become too bogged down with rules and procedures and the like.

4. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    I don't think it's entirely accurate to say that the Jedi caused their own demise, they were simply too arrogant and complacent to recognize it coming and stop it until it was too late. The cause has to be attributed to Palpatine.

5. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Thats a great post, but I think that in colusion to what your saying it is also the growing society of the SW galaxy that has alot to do with Jedis demise. You get the feel that Jedi pretty much stayed the same while poltics and the social order progressed over a 1000 years, exponentially in the case of the SW Universe.

6. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Balance means wiping out the Sith, not the Jedi. Sith only. And that comes from Lucas himself. The Jedi are devoted to serving the galaxy; Anakin was created because he was the only one who could get to Palpatine to kill him. Balance is acheived in ROTJ, not Episode III. It is the Sith who cause the imbalance.

7. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    BattleRanger, I think your and George Lucas' underlying vision of exactly the meaning of 'bringing balance to the Force' are similar. I tend to agree that the role of Anakin Skywalker is the work of the Force.

Anakin Skywalker, by the end of Return of the Jedi, has harnessed both variations of the Force, and he has participated in keeping both the Sith and Jedi power in check.

The single most significant purpose of the Chosen One is to assure neither the dark side or light side gain a substantial sway over the collective cosmos. I think the dominating side fluctuates in cycles.

Prior to The Phantom Menace, the dominion of the Jedi Order over the galaxy was waning. From Episode III onwards, the control of the dark side snuffed out most vestiges of the light.

Then, at the end of Return of the Jedi, the balance shifts in favor of the other branch of the Force. For both reigns there were opposite strands that remained unexpunged: the rule-of-two-following Sith and the Rebel Alliance.

The Force is an entity within itself. This entity manipulates events that are within its reach to effectively keep in a consistent equilibrium of each power on the spectrum--the light and dark.

<[-]> Saber

8. Emperor_Windy

Emperor_Windy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2003
    Anakin was born to kill the last Dark Lord of the Sith...not to decimate the Jedi Order

If the latter was his mission, then he failed because luke rebuilt it with many of the same rules save for the attachment rule

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.