main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Jedi Code: Is it wrong to believe in these ideals?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by {Quantum/MIDI}, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Yet another case of demonizing a perfectly normal human emotion. Fear is part of care. Have you ever had children yourself? If so you might know that caring for a child always includes also fear of harm to him/her. No, not JUST fear, but INCLUDING fear. There is a difference! Fear is part of care, the other side of the same coin, you can't have one without the other. It is a basic human emotion. Without fear we would not protect ourselves from dangers. Why do you think evolution has allowed this one emotion to have survived so long if it were so evil? The primary function of fear is to protect. In the real world there is no such thing as "fearless". Everybody is afraid of something, whatever it may be. "If you are a Jedi you don't have a child"? But Jedi younglings have to come from somewhere right? Since they can't have relationships themselves they always have to rely on others to "donate" apprentices for them. They are DEPENDENT. If no one sacrificed their children to the order it would die out, simple as that. And what is behind children being born in the first place? Right, LOVE, sexuality and even ATTACHMENT, which for normal people is natural. So while they condemn these emotions they have no problems with taking children that are born out of just those emotions. Otherwise they might as well just clone or test-tube their babies themselves. Am I the only one who sees a contradiction there? The Jedi try to rid their apprentices of normal human emotions, which happen to include fear and attachment, yet rely on exactly those emotions to produce descendants to their institution to survive.

DarthCricketer and DrDre like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You don't seem to understand the difference between the emotions existing and their being allowed to run rampant. People have presented ample evidence that the Jedi did not "ban emotions" and you still insist that they did. Your arguments seem to be based on "I don't care what George Lucas said, my interpretation of what Yoda said is correct, yours is wrong." Do you have anything beyond that?

An emotion's existence does not mean it should be acted upon.

The latter is what the Jedi opposed, with very good reason.

3. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    What's equally ironic, is that fear is the perception of danger. How do the Jedi percieve fear? Their perception is that fear is dangerous. In essence they fear these so called "negative" emotions, to such a degree that they collectively bully a little child for missing his mother.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    People have pointed out what is really going on in that scene too, and you're back with "my interpretation is correct and anyone who disagrees is wrong."

Maybe we need an argument as to why allowing fear to dominate one's existence and run out of control is a good thing that should be encouraged, even after the danger (real or perceived) is passed?

If I can get a convincing argument on that one, I might believe the Jedi were wrong to encourage emotional control.

theraphos likes this.
  5. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    "Fear is the path to the dark side"

"Anger, fear, aggression, the dark side are they"

Two quotes from the films that pretty conclusively condemn the emotions fear, and anger. While you might maintain the Jedi don't ban emotions, they clearly categorize them into "good" and "bad" emotions.

GL may have said many things, but in the end it's what's in the films that count, IMO.

6. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    IMO there is absolutely no reason for Yoda to believe Anakin's fear is out of control. Anakin was perfectly composed, more than you would expect from a child his age, being away from his mother for the first time, and on the other side of the galaxy. Yet, Yoda rebukes Anakin for having them. The Jedi don't just preach control of emotions. They preach fear, anger and hate are "bad" emotions that lead to the dark side.

The reality is that Anakin's fears were in control, until he started having dreams about his mother's impending death. Rather than rebuking Anakin for his fear, a fear that was justified, and one he was able to live with for a decade, they should have done something to relieve those fears. They left his mother in slavery, a dangerous situation, and expected their padawan to deal with it, with dire consequences. That is one of the less admirable realities of the Jedi philosophy.

Sith Lord 2015 and KaleeshEyes like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We saw many Jedi experience the very emotions you listed. The difference is that they did not allow those to run out of control. Their fear did not lead to anger and hate, because they controlled it. Their anger did not lead to suffering (except for Darth Maul) because they got a grip on it rather than acting it out.

And other people have already told you what we saw in the scene with Anakin and the Council and you persist on telling us that we are "wrong," that it absolutely was a rebuke. You might want to use something more concrete than your interpretation of the scene as evidence.

As far as their leaving Shmi in slavery...I can agree that they could have checked on her or allowed Anakin to do so, but I don't think their not doing so was malicious. It was obvious from Obi-Wan's comment to Anakin that they did not know that his dreams were visions. And if they had checked prior to her being kidnapped, they would have found a freed, happily married woman.

theraphos likes this.
  8. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    So, why are you and "other people" right, and I and others who agree with my stand point wrong? Why would we need evidence, and not you? Some of us interpret the scene as a rebuke, and others don't. We have a difference of opinion, but your view is just as much an interpretation as mine. Also whether it was a rebuke or not, Yoda didn't preach about control of emotions (something that would apply to all emotions, not just fear and anger), Yoda condemned fear full stop. I reinterate: "fear is the path to the dark side". He didn't say "allowing fear to control oneself is the path to the dark side".

The Jedi knew Shmi was in danger, and left her there. I mean if she were to try to escape, they blow her up. How can not doing something about it not be malicious? They know Anakin has fears, he has exceptional powers, and has a cloudy future, yet they do nothing to improve the situation. To make matters worse, they let a rookie train this potentially dangerous "Chosen One". It was an accident waiting to happen.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's not malicious just as my not flying into a third world country with a bag of food is not malicious.

The Jedi are not able to fix every problem in the galaxy.

And as I said...we saw Jedi in the films experience fear and anger, without getting into any sort of trouble for it, so dispute over Yoda's wording is semantics. Earlier in this thread people gave examples of Jedi in the films, including Yoda himself, experiencing the full gamut of emotions.

Disagreement over whether that scene is a "rebuke" is why it should not be used as evidence for why the Jedi "banned emotions." It is not going to fly as an argument with those who do not see it as a "rebuke."

theraphos likes this.
  10. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    I'd say the only reason we saw (few, the named characters) other Jedi experience the emotions that Yoda dismisses negatively is nothing to do with their beliefs as stated or that they can control them or anything like that, but a completely out-of-universe reason: to provide emotion in the film for the audience. In other words, it happens in order to provide engagement with the story. Discounting Anakin's more extreme emotions (violence, mass-murder, nightmares, arguing), everyone else experiences most of the same emotions and none appear to have any more control over them or show (most of the time anyway) awareness of their emotions in relation to what is stated in T.P.M.
    Fact is that Yoda states that 'Fear', with no qualification given, is a bad thing that leads to the dark side.

KaleeshEyes and DrDre like this.
  11. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Of course they are going to have these emotions. They are human after all. The Jedi wouldn't be the first group to preach one way, and act in another way. Mace Windu wanted to kill Palpatine, because he feared the senate would be to corrupt to deal with his enemy. However, their stance on the emotions of fear and anger are pretty clear cut, IMO.

KaleeshEyes and DarthCricketer like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They did not preach "Don't have emotions." Ever.

theraphos likes this.
  13. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    No, they preach dualism, and view fear and anger are as bad emotions (which is IMO, what "fear, anger, aggression, the dark side are they" translates to). In essence they ironically fear these emotions, as they believe fear and anger ultimately lead to suffering.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Fear and anger are not positive emotions and no one, Jedi or not, should be encouraged to run away with them.

We have all had fear and anger at points in our lives, some more than others, but is anyone really going to argue that the best reaction is "Fear and anger are great, dwell on them, let them control you"?

I'm not seeing the problem here with what the Jedi said about fear and anger.

theraphos likes this.
  15. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    With all due respect, but this is exactly the point DrDre and others are trying to make. We agree that fear should not overwhelm all other emotions or be the guiding force behind our actions. But that is not what happened when Yoda questioned young Anakin in TPM. All there was was a 9-year-old kid that not only got separated from his mother but thrown into a completely new environment with all kinds of things that might intimidate a kid that has never left his home planet. ANY normal kid would have been overwhelmed by what was going on around him. In no way was Anakin "dominated by fear" then. In fact I felt Anakin dealt pretty well with his situation for his age. So yes, he admitted to missing his mother, perfectly normal, and was criticized for that by Yoda. To be frank, I felt Yoda in that scene pretty intimidating, to a young child even threatening, only reciting Jedi dogma and not giving Anakin the least bit of real advice or showing any kindness. The Jedi are supposed to love all beings, even the enemy? There was a lot of love in Obi-Wan's sarcastic "another pathetic life form" or Yoda's relentless questioning, sure. Sorry, I don't see much of the Jedi's legendary "wisdom" anywhere in TPM, or AOTC or ROTS to be honest. They come across as judgmental, arrogant and emotionally aloof. I'm not sure if that was the image Lucas was trying to promote. They are not the wise and noble knights we had envisioned in the OT. I'm not condemning the PT or anything, in fact I'm a PT fan myself. But I think the Jedi have been intentionally portrayed as less than perfect, having flaws and weaknesses. I can't understand why there are so many Jedi apologists who try to defend the Jedi's every single action as wise and noble and beyond all criticism.

16. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    No, it's not good to let any emotion control you. There's nothing innately worse about fear and anger, than any other emotion. Any emotion can be used in a good way or a bad way. Should we not be angry at those who abuse children? Should we not fear for people in a war zone? Should we be happy when our competitor is murdered? It's not the emotion that is "good" or "bad". It's how we act on those emotions, that's what's important. This is why, it is difficult to understand Yoda's criticism of Anakin's fear for his mother. His fear comes from the love for his mother. This fear can be used for good. It can be a catalyst for Anakin and the Jedi to free his mother and others from slavery on Tatooine, yet the Jedi council appears more preoccupied with the Jedi dogma of the relation between fear and suffering, than the actual suffering on Tatooine.

17. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    What do you suppose they do in tatooine? Its way more complicated then just going on a crusade to free slaves

theraphos likes this.
  18. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Nobody said that it was easy. However, I'm sure the Hutt's would be open to a deal, if it was profitable to them. In any case, the Jedi weren't very empathetic with this young former slave, who was forced to abandoned his mother. All they had to offer, was a cold and distant lecture on the danger of Anakin's fears.

19. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Hard to empathize with something so foreign to their own experience.

DrDre and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    People who dislike TPM are defending and sympathizing lil Ani, while the people who love it show that the jedi aren't rebuking anyone, revealing that their ideals aren't wrong.

Strange right? Just as what I expected out of you guys[face_dancing]

And that is the reason!

That is why the Jedi said "NO" to Anikan! The reason this whole situation is so muddied is because of Qui-Gon..

That's the funny thing, most of you, are all right in a sense.

The Jedi understand more than what Anikan follows. Yoda knows of this occurrence of "Love and Fear". They know what path that leads to...

Did you know that fear is also bad for you? And fear is just a double bladed sword? Fear can help people realize certain things around their surroundings. But Anikan's Fear, was sensed by Yoda, much deeper..

There is a reason why Yoda and the Jedi said they will not take children from their parents...Everything in that scene explained it to us clear cut.

Gamiel and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  21. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Perhaps, but a Jedi youngling is going to bond with his master in a similar way, that a child bonds to his parent. It was pretty obvious that Obi-Wan, who was ready for his trials, feared for his master when he was facing Darth Maul alone. It was equally obvious Obi -Wan attacked Darth Maul in anger after his master was stabbed. So, I don't see how that is any different.

Also, Luke was much older than Anakin was, when he was trained, and was prone to anger like his father. Yet, he made some very different choices that saved the galaxy in the end. So, apparently someone's destiny is not solely determined by their fear and anger at a very young age.

22. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

I can see where you are coming from, but Obi-Wan IS in a life OR death situation. He must use his surroundings and focus on the moment at hand...

Plus, the Fear did not overtake him Dre. Of course he was fearful, but it didn't consume him..

It's a bit different when it comes to Anikan's fear..

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And there was nothing wrong with Obi-Wan being afraid for Qui-Gon, and the Jedi had no problem with it.

Had Luke acted on his anger instead of controlling it, the consequences would have been very different. That's what Yoda warned about.

24. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    I don't see that it is very different. What I see is a boy with a natural fear for losing his mother, who is in a hairy situation. What I see is a boy, who subsequently controlled those fears, despite the Jedi doing nothing to help his mother, to become Obi-Wan's bright if somewhat arrogant student. What sets Anakin on a path to the dark side, is the trauma of losing his mother. This is something that could have been prevented, had the Jedi acted earlier, and brought Shmi to safety. The consequence of all this is, that Anakin is wrecked by guilt for not helping his mother, while he had to power to do so. So, while it's easy to blame Anakin for his predicament, the Jedi are also to blame. When they accepted Anakin as their student at that age, they should have taken responsibility for the protection of Anakin's mother as well, and not left her to rot.

25. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

Ah...How the Jedi should not have listened to Qui-Gon...

Of course it could have been prevented....By Anikan when it comes down to it..

Stated by Lucas in fact!

Not really...Even during the movie he still had fear of his mother. He didn't control it. He never controlled it. It was slowly overtaking him at that point.

The Jedi, and I say this again, superheroes. The whole political situation of saving people from slavery is not possible because tatooine is out of the jurisdiction.