main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jedi Master & apprentice relationship

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jedi Werdna, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Werdna

Jedi Werdna Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2012
    This is a topic that I have been pondering lately and I haven't seen any recent discussion on it, so i'm throwing it out there so as to get your thoughts as well. We have to start somewhere, so let's begin with the Padawan. He or she gets selected by a "Master" and thus begins with the one on one training and education of said Padawan. When the master decides their apprentice is ready, the apprentice when successfully completing the trials of knighthood, becomes a Jedi Knight. Here is actually where the discussion could start. I wonder how much time passes or experience the Jedi Council decides this Knight must have before he or she is expected to take their own apprentice? It doesn't seem wise for a Knight, fresh from Padawan-land themselves, to be thinking of taking on a learner. I understand that while there are special circumstances regarding certain Jedi, the Knight that successfully trains a padawan to Knighthood is only then considered a Master. I know there are Jedi Masters out there in movies and/or EU that are Masters by merit having never taken on an apprentice ever or completed their training to Knighthood. These are the examples I am talking about. What do you all think? Fire away...

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Jedi Path (most recent and detailed of sources on the training of Jedi) doesn't say anything about the minimum amount of experience a Knight needs, to take on a Padawan- once younglings have become initiates, they wait for Knights or Masters to select them.

Might not be wise- but it does look like the standard- with all Knights (new and near-Master alike) having the same privileges.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Padawans: chosen by masters per most books, but then in TCW Yoda sent Ahsoka to Anakin though he never requested a padawan (note, too, never requested - i.e. no choice).

When the master thinks the padawan is ready, I believe the master notifies the Council who makes the decision as to the trials (backed up by Yoda's: Our own decision we will make, in TPM).

Trials: per EU (no other sources I'm aware of), involve trials of flesh, spirit, etc. - I believe the most important of the 4 is the "mirror" (facing & vanquishing temptation, or inner darkness) - in Obi-Wan's case, he called on then rejected the easy path of anger, reached for the Force and found his way out of the pit and to slaying Maul.

Master: Somehow, somewhere, someone decided that a Knight could become a Master by training a padawan to knighthood. It seems to be canon at this time, anyway. A Knight can also become a Master by gaining a certain understanding of the Force or by certain deeds and has nothing to do with training a padawan.

Master: There is the actual rank (achieved by Force mastery or training a padawan to knighthood) and the courtesy/honorific rank of a Knight training a padawan (Knight is master to said padawan). Lesser ranked Jedi (initiates, for example) and civilians often use the honorific address to senior Jedi, hence Padawan Kenobi could be addressed as "Master Jedi" by a civilian.

To put it another way, in the US Navy a ship's captain (one in charge) carries the "honorific" rank of Captain but the actual rank could be "Commander."

I don't think there is any canon on when a newly knighted Jedi can take on a padawan, but it's strongly implied in books that it is usually after a couple of years minimum after the knight has gained some experience.

benknobi1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.