main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jedi Order. Happy with their potrayal?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Jedi_Learner, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    One thing that always strikes me when I watch The Phantom Menace, is that the Jedi Order to me is portrayed as nothing special. There was some good potential to show that this order does real good to the Galaxy, not just settle border disputes and trade arguments. We could of learned that the Jedi Order was concerned about the slaves on Tatooine, that they helped give food to the hungry on some forgotten planet or something like this. To be honest, I really don't care when they are all killed in Episode III, because this order spawns the most dull and two-dimensional characters ever.

Take Mace Windu for example? What does he do in Episode I but talk all serious and stroke his chin? Hell, did he ever smile or look happy in Episode I? There is nothing I actually like about this character and I don't see how some people like him. Did he feel nothing for Qui-Gon when he learned he was dead? All I got from this episode was that the Jedi Order sit around and make themselves look important on the council. I wanted to see that they cared about their important roles, but it was all too serious and we learned nothing much about the order.

Does anyone agree?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I'm with you. I find the Jedi reasonably boring. I would have liked to see emotion with in them. I also find them too political. I would have liked to see the number of Jedi greatly reduced, and have them roaming the galaxy, protecting the innocent and such while picking up apprentices when they discover a force sensitive child. More of what we were led to believe from the OT.

I also loose a bit of emotion in the Jedi's death because they're arrogant and probably do deserve to be destroyed. I would have liked to see them be genuine victims of an evil dictator, not die out because they are arrogant.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Glad someone agrees with me. Even one scene where fellow members of the Order welcome Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon back to Courscant and give them a hug or smile would of been better than what we already have.

4. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I think having the Jedi more along the lines of Qui-Gon would have been a better decision. He followed his instincts and was compassionate. As much as I love Obi-Wan, he is just a pawn of the Jedi Council with not much free thinking ability. He's like the rest of the order unfortunately.

5. RogueSith

RogueSith Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2001
    I agree as well, but think the bigger let down is how dumb the Jedi are in the PT.
    But, then again, if they weren't, Palp's schemes wouldn't work. Which is my real problem with the PT - the lack of a great villain.

Just my opinion, of course.

6. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Another basher thread? You have sunk to a new low Learner...kidding. But that is exactly the sort of thing you say to Bashers when they start our threads. See, we are no different. We should all be able to post our gripes without someone telling us off.

Now, in regards to this topic, you are spot on! The Jedi are a dull freakshow. You have the big head, weird face, fluffy face, long neck and token females who just sit around and look important. We don't care for any of these characters. THAT is what is wrong with TPM. Who cares?

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    This is an interesting question. Took me a while to figure out an answer.

Since I figured Lucas would model the structuring of the Jedi Knights after medieval knights, I wasn't too surprised that they basically lived in their master's castle, served the 'king', etc. I sort of imagined them to be like policemen as well as soldiers/diplomats though -- e.g. you'd call a Jedi Knight if someone broke into your house, not just if a giant monster was runnin' around killing people.

I liked the idea of the Jedi Council but I wished they'd given a couple more of them lines (although TPM is already accused of being too 'talky').

I was surprised that the Jedi were so organized. I didn't think Qui-Gon would have had to request permission to train Anakin. I sort of figured that as a Jedi, you'd just run around and do your thing and maybe check in with the home base once a week.

None of this really answers the question of if I was happy with their portrayal. Chalk me up for an 'indifferent'.

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I think there's a lack of portrayal if anything.

One of the centerpieces of the PT seems to get little screentime or exposition. Like where do Jedi kids come from, etc? Jar Jar has more depth which is rather sad.

I just mentioned this in another thread but it seems like a lot of the important stuff gets left to the books. The Jedi and Clone Wars seem to be pretty much left to the EU.

Great if you're an EU fan.

Which I am not.

9. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    i agree that the jedi as well as the sith have been tremendously short-changed in the PT thus far.

10. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I have said for years this is one of the biggest problems with the PT. The Jedi are not impressive at all. they are not evn that useful to the Republic. It's a shame. The Sith have also been so hidden, so secret, even to the audience, that they are really background characters in the PT.

Palpatine does SOOO MUCH, ins his own scheming way. Yet how much do we see on screen? Zero. How much of his craftiness, his ability to persuade parties to his side? His ability to craft a plan have we actually witnessed? None. And imagine if you were not coming to a SW website on a weekly basis collecting information for years in advance. Then Palps is really no big deal at all.

11. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I like how they are portrayed. The PT Jedi are one of the main things about Star Wars that drew me back in.

EDIT: And Palpatine is my favorite character.

12. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Why is Palpatine your favorite character?

13. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    The Jedi are portrayed decently, considering how the story turns out for them. I would've liked them a bit more if they had been more like Qui-Gon in their attitude and way of thinking.

Such steadfast pacifism displayed by the Republic's greatest warriors is...annoying.

14. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "Another basher thread? You have sunk to a new low Learner...kidding. But that is exactly the sort of thing you say to Bashers when they start our threads. See, we are no different. We should all be able to post our gripes without someone telling us off."

All of my post was my own opinion though, and if you've noticed my topic posting behaviour, most, if not all of them are positive. I have more negative to share if you want, but I'll save it for another day. I'm in no rush to open myself up. But thanks for reading. :)

15. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I don't like the way the Council is portrayed, basically because I think there are better story solutions for the Jedi. I wouldn't have a council like this at all, instead I would have liked the Jedi to be roamers, travelling around the galaxy to aid those who are in need of help, more a mix between good cowboys and medieval knights. In my script, which never seems to reach a finished stage, the true Jedi Masters are in hiding on secret worlds because of the threat of the Sith, while Jedi Knights help the Republic keep order and justice in the galaxy.

16. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    I, for one, am happy with the portrayal of the Jedi, as it goes along with the rest of the Star Wars storyline. The Jedi are portrayed as bureaucratic and stagnant, which is meant to lead to their downfall. "Take Mace Windu for example? What does he do in Episode I but talk all serious and stroke his chin? The Jedi are meant to be shown, in these movies, as talk without action, and that is why balance is needed. They have become like the Republic, a formal but somewhat callous and unimpressive force in the glaxay. Anakin is meant to bring balance to the Force, and he does this by getting rid of the dead wood in the galaxy, clearing out parts of the obsolete philosophy and procedures to make way for a new order, an order the galaxy desperately needed. Lucas did his job well here.

17. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Jedi_Learner, have you finally gone mad?? Do you realise this is a "bash"? Not like you to bash a prequel. :D

Anyway, no I don't like there portrayal. There should've been a small group of Jedi between 20-30, thus maintaining their elite status. Apprentices should be rare.

Now, in regards to this topic, you are spot on! The Jedi are a dull freakshow. You have the big head, weird face, fluffy face, long neck and token females who just sit around and look important. We don't care for any of these characters. THAT is what is wrong with TPM. Who cares?

Do you not think Jedi should be all humans? I think having aliens as Jedi is a flaw. Very disapointed when I saw aliens as Jedi.

Rick McCallum wants to eat your children!

18. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "Jedi_Learner, have you finally gone mad?? Do you realise this is a "bash"? Not like you to bash a prequel."

Everything can't be perfect, I have some issues with Episode I, and on the whole, the Prequels so far. Even the people that defend it to death can find something negative with this movie, even people that hate the movie can at least find something good in it. :D

19. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Now all you need is a decent icon. ;)

20. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    I would have liked to see emotion with in them.

The point is that jedi dont have emotion, but sith let their emotions run their lives, and luke has balance, he has emotion (like when he attacks vader of rage on the ds) but he controls them

21. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I disagree.

i agree that the jedi as well as the sith have been tremendously short-changed in the PT thus far.

You have to understand that the PT was never meant to be a detailed account of the Jedi or Sith, but merely the rise/fall of Anakin Skywalker with the Jedi/Sith conflict as a microcosim of the overall story.

22. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Exactly, Dash.

"Why is Palpatine your favorite character?"

Because he's a genius. ;) His rise to power is another one of the reasons I love the PT as much as the OT. It's so subtle, yet brilliant, IMO.

23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree with Ree Yees. Better to have no council at all, or maybe have an "emergency council" for extraordinary situations? Like a return of the Sith maybe and beginning of the Clone Wars?

I too would've like to see more comaraderie rather than just "meditate on this I shall" pap.

The Clones Obi-Wan is an improvement though. At least he does something.

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    He was a padawan in the first one-that's why he doesn't do anything!

I liked the portrayal of the Jedi-they've become the Republic they serve, minus the corruption. Slow-moving, bloated, more concerned with the big picture than what the big picture is made up of.

You can see why they fell; the Jedi are basically the UN Security Council combined with the local police force. But unlike cops, they aren't part of the community; they live in isolation, in a giant temple; they aren't part of the people they serve.

25. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    JM201 said: Because he's a genius. His rise to power is another one of the reasons I love the PT as much as the OT. It's so subtle, yet brilliant, IMO.

Where do we see his genius? When has that been demonstrated in either film?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.