main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jedi Saga II Teaser

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by fireresq7, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BojacRedleif

BojacRedleif Jedi Master star 3

Jun 1, 2004
    [bleep] I'm not really thin.

2. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    great idea!! the bat belt should provide the look you want. give us a pick when you are done modifying it.

3. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    I'm not using the belt!! That'll look rediculous!
    I'm just using the grapple gun. Modified of course!

~Rory

4. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    i know but what i meant was that it figures
    the bat belt which provides Batman with everything
    would give you the right gun you need.

5. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    rory when you composed your animations together in AE did you have each part have like a bright green or blue color in 3ds max and then key each layer together in AE? Or did you render it with a black backround so in AE you used the Luminence key?

So what i mean is:

1. you did the animation in max
    2. you rendered it out with a blue/green backround
    3. keyed it all together by using color key in AE

or did you use Luminence instead with a black backround?

6. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Ok Aaron here is how I did it:
    1. I made sure the background in max was black anyways.
    2. I rendered whatever the animation was as a Targa Sequence(bacially a bunch of pics making the animation)and I put that in it's own folder.
    3.when you import it to AE it will ask you if you want to "ignore the background" choose that option!
    4. and you're done!

I have found if you used a blue or green background sometimes you'll still see it on the character. Just do a Tar Seq and the background dissappears! And when I have done a targ seq before by accident with white and even though it dissappears it you can see a white outline.

get it?

~Rory

7. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    yeah thanks for clearing that up.
    they really don't mention that in the Fan tutorials.
    so how is the film coming along? oh and by the way
    did your wife's nose surgery go okay?

8. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    No she hasn't done it yet(Late Aug hoepfully)
    and so far the film is going good (slow but good) I am still touching up the props for the next scene to shoot and working on the storyboards too.

~Rory

9. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    did the bat grapple work?

10. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    yeah so far I'm still messing with it. I'll put a pic soon!

~Rory

11. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    man i know what you mean with all these superhero trailers going up. why can't they just make a film instead? it drives ya nuts.

12. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    by the way i was working on my film's animations and was watching yours for ideas when ihad a question. did you just use the lens flares in AE for you rship exhaust ports?

13. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Yeah I wasn't good at doing ship flares in max so I did lens flares in AE and just colorized the hue settings.

~Rory

14. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    I didn't notice that. You can also just do exhaust ports in the same way as lightsabers as well. That's the most common way I've seen it done.

15. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    yep, by the way your targa method works real good. maybe you should consider making a tutorial.

16. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Well I didn't make it up Aaron. it's a method that was taught to me here on TFN. And I think a standard method at that. there really is no other better way to do it with max (that I know of)

~Rory

17. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    in AE did you just import the folder or each targa frame by frame? Also was your opening crawl a targa sequence? Also what was your transfer mode for your planets where they wouldn't show the stars in them? Hope i am not too much of a pain, but i am trying to do stuff without that much reference so thanks for the help.

18. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Yes the ope crawl was a tar seq

And when you import the tar seq just select import file not multiple files. then once it comes up open the folder where the tar seq is and click (single click!)on the very first one then on the bottom of the import box you should see a little box that can be checked that says "Targ sequence and then just click on open.

~Rory

19. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    thanks man your my best
    friend on the forum!! :D

what transfer mode did you use because i can see the stars right through my ship?

20. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Ok the ship u imported is transparent?
    ok um ...make sure there are NO effects applied to that layer. Meaning the ship should not have any keying effects applied to it.

~Rory

21. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    let me see if i can get a screen shot so you can see what i mean. the ship is my top layer with the stars on the bottom, then the crawl, then the planet, with the ship being last. am i missing something?

22. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    ok did u do what i told you about removing all the effects from the ship layer?

if you want you can send me the saved AE file and I can see the effects panel settings(?)

~Rory

23. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    yeah i am sending you the file to take a look at what i am doing wrong.

24. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Hey Aaron I just got home from work and I opened your AE file. I replaced all the footage with my own movie footage to see what the problem is...and as I look at it...it dawned on me.After lookign and lookign I found your problem. All your layers have a Transfer mode of "Lighten" instead of normal. Here are two ways to change it back:

1. Move your cursor to where it says Layer ~>Transfer Mode~>Normal

2. Or just right click on the file name on the timeline and click on Transfer mode~>Normal

You only click on that if you want it to be see through!

I also use the Screen effect alot for the hologram and lightsaber effects!(I'm sure you have the Ryan W tutorial?)

Anyways let me know how it goes !

25. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    yep will try it out. so to keep this thread going do you think another teaser is in order? Just tried doing the normal thing, but then the black layer of the crawl and planet cover up the stars. Or is that just how AE is showing that it is invisible and will render out okay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.