main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT The Jedi's Secret - Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JD1975, Jul 30, 2016.

1. JD1975

JD1975 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Title: The Jedi’s Secret

Author(s): JD1975

Timeframe: Between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope with an introduction and conclusion that takes place after The Force Awakens

Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, General Rieekan, briefly - Bail and Breha Organa, Luke Skywalker, Rey

Genre: Action/adventure with romance

Keywords: Kenobi, Rieekan

Summary: This is the story of a hidden daughter of Obi-Wan Kenobi. This story gives extended background on some of my original characters from my first two stories The First Apprentice and Ray of Light. It is not necessary to read those stories to follow this one.

Notes: May contain possible spoilers for The Force Awakens and beyond

She stood at the huge stone marker that sat atop the grave for a moment before she bent to place the flowers she’d brought there. It had been so long since she’d been there – too long really, but she felt she had to come, to pay tribute to the man who had raised her. She stepped up the stairs and laid her hand atop the stone memorial that the Alliance had erected in his honor when he’d died. She traced her fingers over the name. Rieekan.

It was the name she had been raised with and though she knew her true family name and carried her husband’s name with pride this name was a part of her. Even though she had not been of his blood he had been as much her father as the man whose blood she did share. She smiled as she looked at the name of her mother. Her stepfather had been buried beside her here on Naboo when he’d died and the monument placed. They had done so much to keep her safe…. To protect her. She knew all too well what it was like to protect a child…. To give your very life for them…. After all, she had done it herself.

“He was a good father”, she said, turning to look at her daughter who stood behind her. “He was a good man.”

“And your mother…. My… grandmother?”

“She sacrificed for me… as did my… father.”

“Obi-Wan.”

“Yes, your father told you about them?”

The younger woman nodded. “A bit. Could you tell me? What you know?”

Katia walked back, taking her daughter’s hand as they moved to a bench beside the grave. Mother and daughter sat, holding hands. “I’ll tell you everything.”

Alderaan

Approximately 15 years before destruction

Carlist Rieekan stood in the doorway observing the young woman seated in the chair holding the baby. She smiled tenderly at the child as the baby waved a toy rattle in the air. He felt something twist in his gut.

“I tell you her story because I trust you my friend”, Bail Organa said. “She could use a friend. She’s been very isolated since she arrived.”

Rieekan could only stare at the lovely woman. He judged her to be in her mid-twenties. She was petite and beautiful and he found he could not answer his friend.

“You knew Kenobi?” Organa asked.

Rieekan swallowed. “I met him once, during the Clone Wars.”

“It is imperative that they remain hidden – for the safety of the child. Come, let me introduce you”, Organa said.

“Alleana”, he began as they stepped into the room. “This is Captain Rieekan. I’ve told you about him.”

Alleana lifted her head from the baby and extended her hand. “Captain”, she said.

Rieekan shook it as he looked at her, realizing that any smiles were only for her daughter’s benefit. Her eyes were haunted with dark shadows beneath them and he realized that she was pale and thin. He knew what she had been through and it was obvious she was not taking very good care of herself. The need to protect her, keep her safe, to hold her was overwhelming.

He turned his attention to the baby girl she held in her lap and he knelt down beside her. He’d never had much contact with children, especially babies, but the little girl tugged at his heartstrings.

“She’s beautiful”, he said. “What is her name?”

“Katia”, Alleana replied, smiling tenderly at the baby as she gently stroked her hair.

“How old is she?”

“She’s about eight months”, Alleana replied.

Eight months and now without a father. Poor little onehe thought.

“Might I hold her?” he asked. Now where had that come from? He thought.

Alleana appeared to mull it over before she handed the baby over to him, watching him closely. He stood up, holding the baby in his arms. “Hello Katia”, he whispered.

The baby laughed, waving her arms at him and he chuckled. He looked over at Alleana and he saw the faint beginnings of a smile on her face.

He found himself visiting the palace where Organa lived with his wife and daughter more and more but not to see his friend. It was Alleana and Katia he came for. He began bringing gifts for the little one – soft toys and a pad with music and stories.

“You really shouldn’t….” Alleana said.

“It’s worth seeing her smile”, he replied as Katia pressed the buttons on the pad eliciting colored lights and music.

“You don’t need to bring her gifts to do that”, Alleana said. “She smiles as soon as you walk in the room.” She smiled gently but her eyes were still sad as she lifted the baby into her arms. “It’s time for your nap”, she whispered, kissing the baby on the cheek.

“While Katia is napping…. Would you walk with me?” Rieekan asked, the words coming fast before he lost his nerve.

“I…”Alleana bit her lip, unsure of herself. “I…. suppose it would be alright. Breha says the fresh air would do me good.”

“She’s right”, he agreed.

“A-alright. I’ll just be a minute”, she said, carrying Katia into the bedroom.

They walked along the paths of the palace garden without speaking for a few minutes. Rieekan’s thoughts raced. How to bring up what he had decided? Perhaps she would think him mad. But maybe he was…. He almost couldn’t believe what he was about to propose. Propose…. He almost laughed for wasn’t that exactly what he was about to do?

“I want to thank you”, Alleana said, interrupting his thoughts. “You’ve been so good to my daughter….. You’ve been a… a friend.”

“I’ve enjoyed spending time with her”, he replied. “And with you.” There he’d said it.

She stopped short. “With me?” she laughed nervously. “You couldn’t possibly…. I’m afraid I’m poor company.”

“No. I – I understand….” He said.

They walked again. He swallowed nervously. “Alleana…. I wonder if you might consider….” His voice trailed off.

“Consider what?” she asked.

He took a breath and stopped walking to face her. “You and Katia….there is a way you could be safe. Safer than here at the palace. A way to keep anyone from knowing who you are….”

“I don’t understand. Safer than here – with the Organas?” she said, puzzled.

“You could…. You could…. Marry me.”

Alleana’s eyes widened but she did not speak.

“I would never want to usurp Katia’s father but to keep her hidden she could be my daughter. I have a home here but I’m often away fighting with the Rebel army. I have no family and aside from Organa no friends here.” All of his comrades were from other worlds – away. He’d never discussed his private life with any of them – it would be simple….

“You – you’d pretend she was yours…..” Alleana’s voice trailed off.

“Only if you agreed.”

“But to marry….. I….” she bit her lip.

“I know what you’re going to say. I….know…..” He couldn’t speak it. He knew her heart belonged to another. He knew she loved Kenobi – not him. “I would never ask…. I would never ask anything of you… in that way.” Unless the day came when she wanted him – wanted his love. For in that moment he knew he loved her, loved her daughter and he would do anything for them, anything to protect them… even if he received nothing in return. “My house is large enough. There are rooms for you…. And for Katia. You’ll be safe and comfortable.”

“You…. You would do this for us?”

“I would.” He said, his voice confident.

“But what about you…. There’s nothing for you….” She said.

“There is. I enjoy my time with Katia and with you, despite what you think. I… care about what happens to you both…..”

Alleana considered. “It… it would make it even harder for anyone to find Katia…. I…. I will.”

He breathed deep. He wanted to hold her tight…. To kiss her… but he did not. He took her hand in his gently, keeping the contact light, noticing briefly the metal bracelet she worn that had been hidden beneath her sleeve. It was engraved with a floral pattern. “I will see to it that you are both happy and comfortable – and safe. That I promise you.”

Alleana sat up in her bed in her room in her new home. Her knees were drawn up to her chest and she wrapped her arms around herself. Carlist had been true to his word and following the brief, private ceremony at the palace he had taken her and Katia to his house and helped them to settle in. He had immediately shown her to her own room with its own bath as well as a room just across the hall for Katia. Carlist’s room was at the other end of the long hall.

She had cooked dinner for them as best she could. She had wanted to do it and had made up her mind to be as good a wife to Carlist as she could, if only in name, for he was a good man and kind. He had praised the meal but Alleana supposed that was not saying much given he was used to the meals and rations of the Rebel army. Truthfully she was not much of a cook although during her time on Tatooine with Obi-Wan she had cooked a few meals for them. Obi-Wan…. She traced the pattern on the bracelet he had given her and a tear slid down her cheek. Had she betrayed him?

Do what you must to keep Katia safe. Those had been his words both before she left and in the encrypted message that had been sent back to her after she had made Organa send the coded missive telling him what was happening with Rieekan. She owed him that much. She knew Obi-Wan would not find fault but also she knew his heart was just as broken as hers if not worse. He had no one. She had Katia. And Carlist….

Carlist deserved so much more. A wife in truth… one who would love him as he deserved, not her. He was caring, gentle and kindhearted. She could see he loved Katia – and she knew that Katia loved him. He would make sure she was happy, safe and well. He was trustworthy and she believed all he said.

As she laid down and tried to sleep her thoughts turned to faraway Tatooine and Obi-Wan. A tear slid down her cheek. She had loved him so much and he had loved her. They had done what they must to keep Katia safe – her precious daughter who she loved more than anything in the universe. She knew it had been right but still her heart ached for her beloved Obi-Wan.

They had found her, were chasing her.

Blasts fired all around her, striking the ship, damaging it and then the ship was falling, racing to the dusty desert planet’s surface. She could see the tie fighters continuing their pursuit even as the ship fell through the atmosphere. She willed herself to be calm, to not embrace fear. She had her lightsaber…. She would defend herself.

The ground was fast approaching and she bit her lip as the ship struck the surface, tasting blood at the first jolt of impact. The landing was hard and the craft bounced, metal screeching and crashing, closing in on her.

Pain exploded in her side and something struck her head hard. Dizziness assaulted her as the craft came to a halt. She could see the fighters landing, their hatches opening as the storm troopers emerged, guns at the ready. She tried to stay awake… but could not retain consciousness over the pounding in her skull.

Her last thought before she blacked out was that she was going to die.

Rieekan sat up hearing the cries coming from down the hall. Was it Katia? No…. He got out of bed and pulled on his robe, hurrying down the hall to where Alleana slept. All he could think of was getting to her. He opened the door and raced over to the bed, shaking her gently as she tossed and turned, crying in her sleep.

“Alleana”, he said. “Wake up. Alleana!”

She came awake suddenly, her eyes wide, her hand immediately going to her side, reaching for something not there. When she looked up and saw him sitting on the bed beside her she burst into tears, covering her face with her hands. He pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her and after a moment of hesitation she slid her arms around him and continued to sob against his shoulder.

His brow creased in worry as he stroked her back, trying not to think of how she felt in his arms or how soft the skin not covered by her nightgown felt or the silken texture of her hair as it spilled down her back. He just held her, rocking gently until her sobs subsided and she lifted her head. The sight of her tear-stained face broke his heart.

“D-did I wake Katia?” she asked, tilting her head toward the door.

“No, I haven’t heard her”, he said, still holding her.

“I – I’m sorry to wake you”, she said, pulling away. He released her immediately. “I’m alright.”

But she wasn’t. She looked deathly pale and she was shaking. He took her hand. “You might feel better if you spoke about it.”

“I… Surely you wouldn’t want to hear. It’s the middle of the night”, she said.

“If it helps you sleep by getting it off your chest I would. I won’t force you to share but I’m here if you want to talk”, he said.

When she didn’t respond he stood and moved to leave the room.

“Bail Organa said you knew him”, she blurted out before he could open the door.

He turned back to look at her. “I met him during the war. He was a good man. You were…. a Jedi? Like him?”

She nodded and looked at him for a moment. “You’re a good man also. I…. I would like to tell you about it. If you’d like to listen” she said.

He smiled gently and pulled a chair over to the bed, taking her hand in his once more. “I’d like to listen”, he said.

She looked down at her hand in his and then looked up at him. His eyes were gentle. “All right. I’ll tell you….”

Jedi_Perigrine likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh delightful. Excellent use of the flashback. Carlist and Alleana are very sweet together.

3. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015

Tatooine

20 months before

He had seen the ship going down and the fighters that followed it. He could never explain what made him leave his home in the Jundland Wastes to intercept it. He could have remained hidden, just let it be, not risk exposing himself, but instead he went. Perhaps it was a feeling, a premonition of some kind.

When he arrived at the crash site the cadre of storm troopers were advancing on the downed ship. To say his arrival caused an interruption in their plans was an understatement to say the least. They opened fire, turning their weapons to him. He blocked bolts and swung repeatedly until all was quiet and the bodies of the storm troopers lay on the ground around the crash site. Before he left he would have to wire the fighters so that they exploded, making it look like a crash but first he had to check to see if the person they were chasing was still alive in the mangled wreckage of their ship.

Hurrying over he raised the hatch on the craft and drew back in surprise. He knew this woman. He was stunned. He and Master Yoda had sent out a message after the destruction of the temple on Coruscant warning any surviving Jedi to stay away. Up until now he’d had no idea that anyone had heard it. The woman winced and moaned, bringing his thoughts back to the present.

“Alleana?” he asked.

She opened her eyes, glazed with pain. She squinted before her expression shifted to one of shock. “O-Obi-Wan?”

“Yes”, he nodded, smiling. “It’s me. I – I’ve got to get you out of her”, he continued, moving to lift her from the ship.

She cried out in pain and grabbed his arm. “Careful – my ribs…. At least one is broken.”

“Alright, easy now”, he helped to maneuver her out of the ship, supporting her as her feet touched the ground.

She looked around dazedly at the Stormtroopers lying on the sand around them and he felt her slump in his arms – a combination of shock and pain. He lifted her carefully and carried her to his speeder before moving back to the ships.

Moments later as he sped away to his house a fireball engulfed all traces of what had occurred.

She woke slowly, blinking as her vision came into focus. Her ribs were tender and when she trailed her fingers beneath her shirt she felt the tight bandaging. Her head ached horribly and she winced as she touched a tender spot, remembering that she’d struck her head. A cold compress was placed on the lump and she sighed with relief.

“Careful. You’ve got quite a bad lump. Probably a concussion.”

She blinked again. She knew that voice. She’d always liked his voice. It was the kind of voice one could listen to for hours. She turned to it, focusing until she could see his face.

“H-how? I thought you were all –“

“Dead?”

She nodded sadly.

“Master Yoda and I escaped.”

“Master Yoda? Is he here?” she asked.

“No, we separated, but he lives. And so do you apparently.”

“There was a message. To stay away”, she said.

“We sent that. You weren’t on Coruscant?”

“No”, she said. “I was at a field hospital off world. I was treating civilians. By the time the Stormtroopers arrived I had escaped and I hid. They didn’t find me…. Until….

“Until today”, he finished.

“They – they chased me through two systems and when they shot me down I thought….” Her voice trailed off and she closed her eyes tight.

“Well…enough of that”, he said. “I destroyed the ships so if anyone comes looking they’ll think that all of you crashed. Here – let’s sit you up so you can drink.” He slid an arm behind her and held the cup to her parched lips, helping her to lay back down when she was finished.

“Obi-Wan are there any others… others who survived?” she asked.

“Not that I know of”, he said, his eyes full of pain and…. Guilt. But why guilt? She wondered.

“My master… Master Che-“

“She… died at the temple with the rest.”

Alleana shook her head and closed her eyes. He watched as a tear skirted down her cheek.

“Rest now”, he whispered, his own voice breaking with renewed grief. “Rest.”

Alleana gave in to fatigue, drifting off to sleep and remembering another time….. the first time she and he had spoken…..

Coruscant, Jedi Temple

After the Battle of Geonosis

Alleana walked down the corridor in the Halls of Healing, stopping short when Master Vokara Che stepped out of the cubicle. She appeared flustered.

“Master?” she asked. “Is something wrong?”

“Master Kenobi is a poor patient”, she said, shaking her head.

“Master Kenobi? Is he badly injured?” Alleana had never had extended conversations with the Jedi Master but she had seen him around the temple many times. She admired his calm demeanor and gentle speech. She had always wished to speak with him but truthfully had never had a reason. She was younger than him – she had been but a youngling when he was already training with Master Qui Gon.

“Lightsaber wounds. Deep but thankfully not resulting in amputation. Unfortunately his apprentice requires a new arm. Master Kenobi wishes to see young Skywalker. The boy will be fine and is already in a healing meditation but Master Kenobi is adamant. Myself and Master Yoda have already spoken with him.”

“Perhaps I can help?” Alleana asked.

“Well I certainly hope so – I’ve already assigned his care to you. You have a reputation for being able to deal with difficult patients.”

“I’ll see that he gets proper care and listens”, Alleana promised.

Master Che smiled in silent praise and the two parted ways as Alleana entered the chamber.

Obi Wan lay on the bed, staring out the window. He turned to her when she entered the room.

“Hello Master Kenobi”, she said smiling. Her eyes drifted to the slash mark visible through the sleeve of his tunic. Yes, that needed care.

He stared at her for a moment before his eyes widened with recognition. “You – you’re Alleana?”

An indescribable feeling went through her at his recognizing her – was it joy?

“You – you know me?”

“I have seen you in the temple. I’ve heard Master Che speak of your skills.”

“Master Che is kind”, she said.

“Perhaps with you”, he said.

“I know you are concerned about your apprentice Master Kenobi but he is being treated and well-cared for. I am here to see to your care”, she said.

“I’ll be fine. I want to see Anakin.”

Her mouth set. So this was how it would be, well she would see about that.

“Now let’s just remove the tunic so I can see the wound”, she said.

“I said I-“

“Master! You will do no good to young Skywalker if you further injure yourself and I do not believe that he would want you to risk harming yourself to see to him. Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way but I will be treating your wounds.”

Obi-Wan stared, eyes wide and looking a bit frightened. “I – I turn myself over to your care.”

“Very good”, she said, smiling. “Now let’s remove the tunic.”

“There’s – another slash on my leg”, he said sheepishly.

“No worries. We’ll take care of it”, she said, helping him to remove his shirt.

“Is it painful?” she asked.

“No”, he said. “Ow!” he yelled as she gingerly poked the wound.

“I see”, she said, smiling. “Now the pants.”

His face turned red.

“I can always cut them off but I’ll just turn my back. There’s a blanket on the table.”

“Thank you”, he said as she turned.

When he was settled she focused on cleaning and disinfecting the wounds. “Nearly to the bone. This was done by Dooku?”

“He got the better of me”, he said grimly.

“I think not. Your skills probably kept him from doing far worse.”

“I’m not too sure about that”, he said, sniffing the air as she opened a jar of green salve. “What is that?”

“It will numb the pain before I use the healing crystals”, she said. “You have an excellent reputation Master Kenobi. Don’t be so hard on yourself.”

“Obi-Wan”, he said.

She looked up.

“Call me Obi-Wan. After all, you put…” He lifted the jar from the table. “Green salve on my person. I believe we’re past the formalities now.”

She laughed.

After that he had always said hello to her when he passed her in the temple and they had even enjoyed short conversations but as the time went on and the Senate began to crumble and war waged on time ran short and their lives and duties had pulled them in separate directions. Until now.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb with the flashbacks - first right after the scattering of Jedi and the hurried message to stay away and then in happier times :cool: The emotions and nature of contact at the Temple - very believable and well-handled, i.e., that she would notice him ;) and be flattered that he would remember her. :) I like that she is forthright in her duties and he receptive of these when necessary. :D

5. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks for reading!

Alleana came awake slowly, not sure exactly how much time had passed since Obi-Wan had first brought her here. Several days at least, she surmised. She had immersed herself in healing meditations for some time, lacking the healing crystals that she had once used as a healer. Now she took the time to observe her surroundings. She was alone in the home – she could not feel Obi-Wan’s presence there.

She sat up slowly. Her side was still sore and her head tender but the blinding pain was gone. Climbing from the bed she walked gingerly, taking in the scene around her. The home was simple and rustic but appeared comfortable enough. The thick stone walls ensured cool days and the heating unit in the corner warm nights when the temperatures in the desert dropped. The bed she slept in was large and comfortable. She noticed a makeshift bed on the floor near the heater where she assumed that Obi-Wan had been spending his nights.

The door opened and she turned to meet Obi-Wan’s gaze. Lifting his hood from his head he hurried to her, his brow furrowed with concern. “You shouldn’t be up”, he said leading her over to a chair.

“I’m fine. I’m a healer – remember?” she said.

“That doesn’t mean you are indestructible”, he replied, sitting beside her.

“I was just wondering where you were”, she said.

“Just checking on some-, well something I’m keeping an eye on”, he replied.

His answer confused her but she let it go – it wasn’t any of her business what he did with his time. Her eyes moved once more to the bed on the floor. “I’ve put you out I’m afraid”, she said, nodding to the blankets.

“Oh – no. It’s not a problem. I’m quite alright.”

She eyed him critically. “I can’t take your bed from you. I can sleep-“

“On the floor? Not with those ribs and besides I wouldn’t hear of it. I treat my guests – well, actually you are my first guest, far better than that”, he replied, with a twinkle in his eye and the hint of merriment she remembered seeing from time to time in their brief interchanges in the temple.

“I – I should not stay….”

“You are safe here and still recovering. Let’s not think about that now”, he replied, laying his hand on hers. It was warm and comforting. She noticed Obi-Wan’s gaze linger for a moment on his hand atop hers before he lifted his eyes to her face. “Agreed?”

“Alright”, she said.

Obi-Wan sat quietly, trying to meditate but his mind was too distracted. His visit to the overlook near the Lars homestead had been uneventful. He had seen young Luke and all was well. He had been concerned to find Alleana up and around though she seemed none the worse for wear. He had cooked a meal for them which she claimed was delicious.

“We had better food at the temple”, he said, immediately sorry he brought it up. He was afraid that she would be saddened again with thoughts of what they had lost.

“Sometimes. Although I must admit I snuck a few meals at a diner near the temple”, she said as she ate.

He froze. “A diner? Near the temple? You don’t mean Dex’s?”

“Yes – you know it?

“Very well. Dex was a good friend”, he said smiling.

“I’m surprised we never ran into one another there”, she said.

He found himself wondering what would have happened if they had.

After eating she had yawned and stood up slowly, sore still from her injuries and admitted that she needed to sleep. Now in the dim light he watched her as she lay in his bed. Her features were relaxed in slumber. As he looked at her he felt something, something he had not felt in years, not since Satine….

“And look how that ended”, he said to himself, closing his mind to the painful memories and rubbing a hand over his face.

Alleana had intrigued him since she’d treated him following Geonosis albeit it in a purely innocent way. She was smart and sure, her abilities at healing well living up to what he had heard. Talking with her had been pleasant and he’d often seek her out to converse after his treatment ended - though there never seemed to be enough time for that he’d counted her as a friend.

A whimper from the bed drew his attention and he stood up hurrying over. Alleana still slept but clearly she was having a troubling dream. He reached out to stroke her cheek. “Shhh…. It’s alright. No harm will come to you. I’m here….”

She settled back to sleep and he stepped away, feeling strangely hesitant to do so. He could guess at what she dreamt of for they had both been through a nightmare.

“Where do you go every day?” Alleana asked, a week later. She knew it wasn’t necessarily her business but she could no longer hold back her curiosity. Obi-Wan was gone when she awakened nearly every day.

He looked at her for several moments as if weighing his decision. He had known the longer she remained here the harder it would be to keep it a secret.

“I’m looking after Anakin’s son.”

She froze. “Anakin’s….. but, how is that possible….”

He stood and walked to the window, running his hand over his face. “Anakin had…. Two children. Twins. A boy and a girl. They were separated to keep them safe after their mother died.”

“And Anakin also. I’m so sorry. I know how close you were. I….” she stopped short as she watched him lean against the wall with one hand as he rubbed his eyes. He suddenly looked so devastated. She walked over and laid a hand on his shoulder. “Obi-Wan what is it?”

Suddenly he had to tell her. He couldn’t hold it back any longer.

“Anakin didn’t die – at least not in the way you’re thinking.”

“I – I don’t understand….”

“Anakin…. Anakin was…. Is Darth Vader”, he said, squeezing his eyes shut tightly.

“Anakin is… Vader? But…. Then…. He is responsible for…..”

“The deaths at the temple, the younglings, and afterwards hunting down Jedi that the Stormtroopers failed to kill. Death and destruction…. After he turned to the dark side.” The words came out as if they pained him, his eyes shut.

“Master Che….”

“Her too”, he said, suddenly wishing the sands of Tatooine would open beneath his feet and swallow him whole. “I tried to stop him. I fought with him, injured him horribly, watched him burn in the lava flows at Mustafar. But he lived.”

“Obi-Wan”, she whispered, her voice gentle.

“Don’t you see! It’s my fault – all of it! The council warned Qui-Gon that he should not be trained. I should have known! Or if I’d been a better teacher….. I failed him”.

He sat down now, his head in his hands. He could not bear to look at her.

A few moments later he felt her sit beside him, reaching out to him and putting her arms around him. “My friend…. How you have suffered…..”

Her kindness was his undoing. He wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in her shoulder, warm tears flowing as his body shook while she held him tight. Only when his sobs ceased did she speak.

“It wasn’t your fault”, she whispered.

“How can you say that?” he said, lifting his head. “He was my student!”

“Not any longer. He was no Padawan. And even so Anakin made his own choices. The emperor – he lured him.”

“That may be but the anger and fear were always there beneath the surface.”

“Anger and fear are always beneath the surface – for all of us. It’s the way we deal with it – that is what matters. Anakin knew he could have come to you, he chose not to.”

He said nothing.

“The children?”

“Master Yoda, Bail Organa and I separated them for their protection. The daughter is with Organa and his wife on Alderaan. The boy is with family here. I stay here to watch over him.”

“Their mother…. You said she was dead.”

“Senator Amidala.”

“But the code….”

Obi-Wan shook his head. “Jedi are not immune to love. It happens to the best of us.”

“To the…. Wait…. You?”

He’d said too much, he realized. But now that he started he could not stop the words from coming. “There was someone…. Long ago. During the War. The Duchess of Mandalore. We never…. It never went as far as Anakin and Padme, but the…. Feelings were there.”

Alleana pulled back as if burned and stood. “I – I’m sorry…. I know she died…..”

He looked at her, watched her face go pale. Something was wrong. Had he said too much? Shocked her? Was she disappointed in him? Had he hurt her by holding her?

“Alleana….” He said, reaching for her.

“I – I’m sorry….” She said again. “I…. I need some air”, she said, hurrying outside.

She pushed the door open, stepping out into the blinding sunshine and breathing the warm air, relieved that he did not follow. She was shocked and ashamed at the wave of emotions running through her as well as confused. The feelings were so foreign, ones she had never felt before. Jealousy…. And disappointment that it had not been her.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful confiding and consoling. And SQUEEE on Alleana's reaction at the end. @};-

7. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Jedi and love...if they only would be given support instead of being forbidden, I bet everything would have turned out so differently... Great emotional stuff here, I'm digging it.

I like the story you've crafted! The maybes and the might-have-beens may not be canon, but they're sure fun to contemplate. Please let me know when you update this. :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  8. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks for reading and commenting! It is greatly appreciated!

He watched that night as Alleana picked at her food. She said she was fine but he could see she was not. He also sensed that she was not ready to talk right now. He couldn’t understand it…. She had seemed calm when he’d described what had happened to Anakin – had comforted him. But after…. When he discussed Satine…. That was when she’d become upset. Perhaps she expected more from him and was let down? He did not know.

She was quiet later that evening not saying much. She went to bed and when he had settled down in his own bed on the floor and all was quiet he thought he heard muffled crying. Standing up he walked over to the bed, worried.

“Alleana? What is wrong?”

Her back was turned to him when she spoke. “Nothing…. Nothing’s wrong.”

“But you’re crying.”

“It’s nothing Obi-Wan”, she repeated.

“Alleana –“

“Perhaps I’m just missing the temple, friends, the life I once had.”

He wanted suddenly to comfort her. To hold her and listen as she had done for him.

“Please Obi-Wan, let me be. I – I don’t want to talk about it”, she whispered.

He walked away slowly, back to his pallet on the floor. As much as he tried he could not sleep that night.

As the days stretched into two weeks Alleana continued to be polite and helpful but quiet and withdrawn. She avoided spending time with him whenever she could. She declared her ribs and head injury well enough to venture from the house when he would return from his daily trip to the Lars homestead, taking walks or venturing into town to purchase clothes and things she might need. He was concerned about her – warning her of Imperial patrols and sand people but she was adamant. If he could go to town so could she and she had her lightsaber if she encountered trouble in the desert.

As for him he felt lonelier than before, missing her sweet disposition and conversation. Most of all he missed the smiles she had bestowed on him when she’d first arrived and he was caring for her.

Finally, one day, as he watched her pick at her breakfast, an idea came to him. “Would you like to accompany me when I check on Luke today?”

She looked up. “You want me to come?”

“It would be nice to have your company. But if you’d rather stay here….”

She thought for a moment. “I – I’d like to come”, she said.

“Good”, he said. She turned back to her food but he smiled. It was a step.

She smiled as she looked through the binocs from where she and Obi-Wan stood on the ridge. Luke played outside the house under the watchful eye of his aunt.

“He seems so small”, she said.

“About three and a half years old now”, he said, leaning against the rock where they stood. “The force is with him.”

“Will you train him?” she asked.

“I’m not certain his uncle likes the idea. He doesn’t care to have me around so I watch from here. Still the boy should be trained. I’m not certain it should be by me though”, he said sadly.

She laid her hand on his arm. “It wasn’t your fault. You were a good teacher. I saw it.”

He smiled but it did not reach his eyes. “This is a delicate situation. He could be an asset to the Emperor if turned or a threat to his father. He must be well-trained. He could bring salvation or all could be lost.”

“He is more vulnerable untrained and left unaware”, she said, handing him back the binocs as they prepared to depart.

“I suspect when the time is right young Luke will seek out his destiny”, he said.

They walked along passing underneath large cliffs until a deep roar sounded from somewhere above.

“What was that?” Alleana asked, startled.

Obi-Wan looked around quickly. The roar came again, closer this time.

“Obi-Wan?”

“It’s a Krayt dragon. Blast! It’s early in the season too!” He took her hand and pulled her into the shelter of the cavern beneath the cliff. The cliff face rumbled above them as the dragon stopped on the ledge and let out a loud bellow.

“Obi-Wan!” she hissed.

“Shh!” he whispered, pulling her closer to him. “Quiet!”

The dragon began to stomp and bellow above them. “It’s not safe here”, he said, looking up as small bits of dust and rock began to come away from the sides of the cavern as the dragon stomped.

The animal bellowed again and suddenly larger pieces of rock began to fall.

“Look out!” he said, pushing her down to the ground and covering her with his body to shield her from the falling debris.

A large rock struck his shoulder hard, causing him to cry out in pain before a second rock hit his skull. He slumped onto Alleana, unconscious.

“No, no”, she whimpered, pushing out from under him. She turned him over and shook him. “Obi-Wan! Obi-Wan!”

A loud thump shook the ground beneath her feet and she turned to face the growling dragon who had jumped down from the side of the cliff, eager for an afternoon snack.

Alleana trembled. Calm….calm…. she willed herself. The dragon took a step closer. Alleana waved her arm parallel to the ground as dust and small rocks rose into the air, bidden by the force. She swung her arm at the dragon propelling the stuff forward at a rapid rate so that the barrage struck his face and eyes.

The dragon roared in pain, blinking and shaking its head in an effort to clear its vision. Seeing her chance she pulled her lightsaber from her belt. She ignited the green blade and swung severing the dragon across its neck. The head of the dragon fell with a thud to the ground and Alleana backed away, flattening herself against the back of the cavern as the headless body staggered towards her, senseless, before it finally fell to the ground.

She hurried over to Obi-Wan, feeling for the pulse in his neck. It was strong and steady. They were not far from the house, with the force’s help she could drag him back.

As she pulled him out of the cavern she froze, feeling a presence surrounding her. She turned and looked up, seeing a dozen dark clothed warriors, their faces obscured and holding spears. Upon seeing her looking at them they quickly turned away, retreating from whence they had come.

Alleana didn’t have time to ponder their strange retreat. Not wanting to be in the open desert once night fell she began to make for the house with Obi-Wan.

Alleana managed to get him into the house and onto the bed just as the twin suns began to set. He had not regained consciousness and that worried her. She pulled his shirt off to examine his shoulder. It was swollen and bruised. She felt for breaks and though she could not find a clean one she suspected a fracture that did not cut clean through. The blow to his head left a gash that would need to be sutured.

She pulled a box of supplies out from under the bed. During her trips to town she had found some basic medical supplies and also some stones and herbs that she could grind down to create healing salves, ointments or medicines. They were makeshift at best, not as good as what she’d had access to at the temple and she missed the healing crystals terribly, but they would do in an emergency.

She focused on what needed to be done, pushing aside her worries for him as she worked, leaning on her skills. She cleaning his wounds, applied salves and bound the shoulder before stitching the gash on his head and laying a cool cloth on the lump.

Once that was done she sat on the bed beside him. She took her hand in his and gently stroked the side of his face with the other. “You must wake up”, she whispered. “I – I can’t lose you…. Not after I thought you were dead…. Not after finding you here.”

She swallowed hard. “I’ve been standoffish to you but it’s not your fault. I just… I couldn’t bear the thought of someone else having a… a bond with you. It was wrong of me. I’m so sorry. So sorry”, she whispered. “I shouldn’t feel this way…. But I’m not sure what to do about it. You must wake up….”

A cool cloth wiped across his skin. He felt the tender press of lips against his and sighed. The kiss was gentle and sweet and ended far too soon for his liking. He must be dreaming. He struggled to open his eyes but found it hard to keep them open. It was night and he could see the bright color of flames dancing in the heater. He closed his eyes again and tried to think…. To remember….

They had been coming back from checking on young Luke and then…. The Krayt dragon… Alleana! He tried to move and a searing pain raced through his shoulder and his head began to throb. He winced, hissing in pain.

“Shhh… don’t move around a lot just yet.”

He opened his eyes and slowly focused on her, his vision taking a moment to clear. She sat beside him, her hand in his. As he looked at her he saw her sigh deeply with relief and a brilliant smile lit her face.

“A-are you alright?” he asked. “The dragon?”

She tapped the lightsaber on her belt. “We won’t be seeing him again. I’m fine thanks to you.”

“I think it’s me who owes you my thanks”, he said.

“You’ll thank me once your shoulder and head heals. I think your shoulder is fractured and you took a bad blow to the head.”

She moved the cloth back to his head and he groaned with relief as the cold eased the throbbing.

“Better?” she whispered, moving closer so that she could hold the compress in place. She sat close enough that he could feel the warmth of her body and breath. “I seem to be making a habit of patching you up”, she continued.

He reached up to stroke her cheek and her eyes met his. She was beautiful, he thought, so very beautiful. She had dark hair, perfect skin and almost exotic eyes. Eyes he could get lost in. He trailed his knuckles across her cheek.

“I rather like being taken care of by you”, he whispered. He cupped her cheek with his hand and ran his thumb back and forth across her skin. “Thank you.”

“Rest now”, she said. “I’m here.”

He nodded carefully and closed his eyes, drifting off while she held his hand.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A very well-written discussion about training versus not. Great bit of action there and Alleana using her skills and the developing closeness. :)

10. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Nice update! It's not every day you're confronted with a Krayt dragon! Yikes. Glad they got out of it. I'm sure Alleana will help Obi-Wan feel better soon. ;)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  11. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a bit more. Thanks for reading!

He awoke alone, around midday. Where was Alleana? He groaned as he tried to sit up, his head spinning and his body sore. He gasped in pain and then steeled himself, pulling himself out of the bed and standing, grabbing on to the chairs and other furniture in an effort to get to the door and find Alleana.

The door opened and he looked up. Alleana stepped inside.

“You shouldn’t be up!” she said, hurrying over to him.

“I was looking for you. Where did you go?” he asked.

“I went to check on Luke. I knew you wouldn’t be able to.”

“It’s dangerous out there! You saw what happened the other day with that Krayt dragon!”

“I can take care of myself. I – I was only trying to help…. To be useful.”

“By getting yourself killed?”

Alleana stared at him for a few moments in silence. As his temper cooled he began to realize that this was coming out all wrong. It wasn’t that he was angry with her or thought she wasn’t competent. He’d been worried about her because of the feelings he had for her….

He opened his mouth to speak but she cut him off. “I should leave here.”

“What?” his eyes widened.

“This…my living here… with you…. It’s wrong. It should end. I need to leave this world, to hide somewhere on my own. It’s better… and safer… that way. I appreciate what you’ve done for me but it’s time for me to go. Once you’re well enough to get by on your own I’ll leave.”

She turned and stepped outside, closing the door behind her.

Alleana walked slowly around the edge of the property, focusing her thoughts. It was better this way really. This was wrong. It was wrong to be jealous of a woman Obi-Wan cared for, wrong to remain here, wrong to feel as she did for him….

She could get passage on a transport from here, go somewhere…. She had family on Corellia but she barely knew who they were. Her parents had died when she was a baby and she had been in the custody of an elderly grandmother she could barely remember when she’d left to train at the Jedi temple. Surely the old woman was dead by now. She would be a stranger…. But perhaps that would be better – to live alone and in obscurity.

As she walked something in the distance caught her eye and she walked toward it. When she got closer she noticed it was a tall spear-like pole stuck into the ground. Around the pole was strung a leather necklace with a large tooth hanging in the center surrounded by smaller teeth. She lifted the necklace from the pole and examined it. Perhaps Obi-Wan would know what to make of it. She sighed and pocketed it in her robe. She didn’t really feel like talking but she supposed it was inevitable. She couldn’t help him until he healed without speaking to him and she had her duty as a healer to consider.

By the time she turned back to the house the suns had nearly set and the stars were just beginning to peek out. As she approached the house she could see Obi-Wan seated on the steps outside. He was staring off into the distance, deep in thought.

He had walked to the front door and sat on the steps, grimacing. Even though his injury had been to his head and shoulder his whole blasted body hurt. He could see Alleana walking in the distance. What would it be like if she left?

I don’t want her to go. The thought made him sick. He… needed her. He had had feelings like this before and had not acted on them. He regretted it in a way but he had believed in his choice at the time. Did he need to make that same choice again? As painful as it was before this time it seemed almost worse. He and Alleana had a similar history. They were both raised in the temple and had the same abilities. She was younger than him, though older than Anakin who had begun his training older than was normally allowed. He couldn’t see himself as a mentor to her - she felt like a contemporary. Besides mentoring and need were not the same thing. He…. Wanted her…. The thought came unbidden and fast as self-realization hit him.

He remembered his confession about Satine and how puzzled he’d been at Alleana’s reaction. Now he wondered…. Could Alleana feel for him what he felt for her? Was that why his mention of his feelings for Satine were so hurtful to her? His heartbeat quickened at the thought…..

But the code. What of the code?

The code of the order. An order that no longer existed but for himself, Master Yoda, Alleana and perhaps some other Jedi scattered across the galaxy. He respected the code and his teachings but with the Jedi decimated it seemed to have lost its merit. Anakin had broken the code but that had not been the reason for the turn. Anger and a lust for power had done that – not love.

Love… He saw Alleana coming back into view as the first stars glistened along the edge of the mountains. He needed to speak to her….

She stopped when she saw him and was quiet for a moment. “You should be resting”, she said.

“I… just wanted to get some air. Will… will you sit with me?” he asked, patting the seat beside him.

She sat, staring off into the mountains in the distance, their edges still rimmed with a halo of light from the setting sun.

“I should apologize”, he said. “I don’t doubt your abilities. After all, you did save my hide out there. It’s just that… I suppose you worry when you care for someone.”

She turned to look at him then, eyes wide.

“I don’t…. I don’t want anything to happen to you. I don’t want to lose you and I don’t want you to go-“

“I understand…. We’ve both lost friends…. A whole way of life. It’s normal to want to hold on to that…..but it’s better….”

“That’s not what I mean. What I feel for you goes beyond….friendship”, he said, his voice a whisper. He reached up with his good arm and stroked a loose tendril of her hair. It was soft, like silk beneath his fingers. “Surely…. You’ve felt it….”

She didn’t say anything. The two of them sat staring at one another for a moment. Could he have been wrong? Was he mistaken? Perhaps she did not feel….

Then her mouth was on his. The kiss was sweet, gentle….but he could feel the warmth beneath it. Too soon she pulled away. “I – I’m sorry…. I shouldn’t have….”

Then he reached for her pulling her closer and covering her mouth with his in a long, ardent kiss. When the kiss ended he rested his forehead on hers and stroked her cheek.

She spoke first, in a breathy whispered. “Is it wrong… what we feel?”

“I – I don’t think so”, he whispered. “There are hardly any of us left…. These feelings…. They are not dark. We are still who we are. We are not abandoning what we’ve learned. It’s a different time now – so different than before Order 66.”

She shuddered at the mention of it. “It’s alright”, he whispered, sliding his good arm around her to pull her closer. “I’m here.”

She relaxed into his embrace, laying her head on his chest. “I – I think I’ve felt this way for a long time” she whispered.

He smiled and kissed her hair. He had begun to suspect as much.

“I – I always admired you….”

“I am flattered”, he said, causing her to laugh. It was so good to hear laughter. She lifted her head and he smoothed her hair back. “To be admired by one so lovely is an honor.”

She cupped his face with her hands and pulled him to her to kiss again. The kiss deepened as he held her close but his wounded shoulder protested and he hissed in pain.

She gently felt the shoulder, her face a mask of concern. “Let’s get you inside so I can look at it again.”

He nodded and let her help him stand up. They walked side by side, arms around one another’s waists into the house.

He stopped short to look at her. “No more talk of leaving then.”

She smiled. She wasn’t sure what was to come but she was certain of one thing. “No more talk of leaving”, she repeated.

She fixed something for them to eat before helping him to the bed and removing his tunic and bandages.

“It’s no worse”, she said, gently pressing before she applied some more of the salve she’d made to numb the pain and rewrapping the shoulder. He laid back, propped on the pillows. “You should rest – and a healing meditation certainly wouldn’t hurt.”

He trailed his fingers down her cheek and used his good arm to pull her closer.

“I’d rather spend time talking to you”, he replied.

“Actually”, she said, remembering, “There is something I wanted to show you.” She removed the necklace from her pocket. “I found this on a spear stuck into the sand at the edge of the yard.”

She handed it to him and he looked at it frowning. “It looks like something I’ve seen the Sand People wear. These almost look like… Krayt dragon teeth. I’ve heard it said that they consider it a rite of passage to kill one. But why would that be left here?”

“It – It’s for me. After I killed the dragon I realized a group of them were there – watching. When they saw that I noticed them they slipped away without a word.”

“I’d wager these are teeth from the dragon you slew”, he said, handing them to her. “It seems you’ve earned the respect of the tribe. Not a bad deed – I’d rather their respect then for them to consider us enemies. They’ll probably give you a wide berth if you see any of them.”

“I won’t mind that – truly”, she said, remembering how fierce they looked.

“I believe they are more frightened of you then you could ever be of them my sweet warrior”, he said, smiling.

She grinned, her eyes tender at the compliment and his heart beat faster. “Rest now”, she whispered, kissing him softly.

Alderaan

Rieekan was beginning to wonder if he’d been insane to listen to this. His guts felt as if they were twisting within him. He walked over to the window and looked out, focusing on the quiet mountains in the distance, finding he could breathe again. He’d wanted her to unburden herself to him but he had no idea how hard it would be to listen to her describe how she had fallen in love with another man. He wanted to be that man.

“And so you stayed”, he said.

“I did”, she replied, her voice soft. She looked at him, his back to her as he stared out the window.

“Perhaps you think less of me now…..”

He turned abruptly and walked back, sitting down beside her again. He might have been jealous but think less of her? Never.

“That would never happen. I promise you that”, he said, taking her hand. He breathed deeply realizing how hard this was for her and felt slightly ashamed.

“I’ve n-never told anyone any of this”, she said softly.

That touched him – that she felt she could share this with him. “You can tell me anything”, he said and meant it. “I know you wouldn’t change anything that happened but if I could take your pain away I would.”

“Your listening….it helps…. You were right about talking….. It – it is making me feel better.”

“Then go on.” If she could unburden herself he could listen, especially if it helped her.

“You’re sure? It’s very late. I don’t want to keep you….”

“There isn’t anywhere else I want to be”, he assured her.

Alleana looked down at his hand in hers. It was strong and steady. She looked up into his eyes. They were honest and earnest. “Alright…. I’ll go on…..”

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEEEE and a wonderful placement for the return to now. Sweet confidings and such tenderness between Obi-Wan and Alleana in the first scenes. Things are certainly different so they need to make choices that will make them happy since they are in a position to stay together.

13. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Nice update! I'm enjoying how this story is unfolding. Keep up the good work!

14. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks again for reading and commenting!

The weeks went by quickly as Obi-Wan recovered and was able to resume his visits to the Lars Homestead to check on Luke. When not watching over Luke he spent time with Alleana. She showed him how to create some of the healing treatments she used and he taught her what he had learned from Master Yoda and Qui Gon about becoming one with the force. He showed her some of the principals of Soresu, the lightsaber style he had adopted during the Clone Wars. They would often meditate together. They would sit out on the steps of the house at twilight and talk for hours, watching the stars. Tender touches and kisses continued.

One day they went into town together to see about supplies.

“Oh – make sure if you refer to me it’s as Ben”, he said.

“Ben?” she asked, confused.

“Here I’m known as Ben – crazy wizard”, he said.

“Well that’s somewhat true”, she said.

“I suppose some cultures would see Jedi as wizards”, he replied.

“I meant the crazy part”, she said, laughing as she teased him.

“Very funny”, he replied.

“Well I suppose you could refer to me as Anna if you needed to”, she said.

“Agreed”, he said.

They were able to collect all of what they needed and as they prepared to leave the marketplace Obi-Wan stopped at a stall. Alleana looked over his shoulder to see what had caught his eye. Among other things there was a selection of wide metal bracelets. Obi-Wan examined them carefully before lifting one into the light. It shone in the sun and he ran a finger over the floral pattern etched into the metal before turning to Alleana.

“Do you like it?” he asked her.

“It’s lovely”, she said.

“How much?” he asked the seller.

“No! You don’t have to-“ She interrupted but Obi-Wan was already pulling coins from his pocket to satisfy the seller’s price.

“It wasn’t necessary to buy me anything. I don’t require a gift”, she said as they arrived back at the house and unpacked their supplies.

“It may not have been necessary or required but I wanted to give a gift to the woman I love”, he said, gently taking her arm and slipping the bracelet onto her wrist.

Her eyes widened in surprise before tears began to form. Stepping into his embrace she placed her hands on his cheeks and kissed him.

That was the first night they did not sit on the steps together watching the stars.

Alleana snuggled into his embrace beneath the covers as he held her. Both were quiet until she broke the silence.

“Is this wrong?” she asked softly.

He wrapped his arms around her tightly and kissed her hair. “No – it can’t be wrong.”

She lifted her head to look at him. “How can you be sure?”

He brushed her hair back and smiled. “Because for the first time in a long time I have no regrets.”

She smiled. “Neither do I”, she whispered, laying down next to him. She lifted her arm to examine the bracelet on her wrist once more. “I do think it’s lovely – even more so because it came from you. I’ll cherish it always.”

He rolled to his side to look at her. “I know you will. I only wish…. I want to marry you…. But….”

“A marriage between the two of us, two fugitives, here on Tatooine, even if we use aliases, could open us up to scrutiny and bring attention to us. If we are found here it could bring attention to Luke. I know that”, she said.

“You deserve more than this”, he said.

“I have your love and you have mine. I love you – and that is more than enough”, she said.

He took her into his arms, kissing her deeply.

Obi-Wan frowned as he walked home from checking on Luke three months later. All was well with the boy but he was becoming more and more concerned about Alleana. She’d not seemed herself for the last three weeks. She seemed pale and unwell. When he’d expressed concern she’d simply shrugged it off – saying everything was fine and that she was just tired. That did not ease his worries though and he decided that he would discuss the subject with her as soon as he arrived home.

When he opened the door he did not see her for a few moments. Looking around he found her curled up in a ball on the bed. As he hurried over she opened her eyes. He sat down beside her. “Not feeling well again? There must be something you can do….” After all she had been a healer but if need be there was a doctor in town. He had no idea how advanced the medical facilities here on Tatooine were or if they risked discovery using them but if it meant helping Alleana he would take that risk.

Her eyes filled with tears. “There’s nothing that can be done for this”, she whispered.

Now he was frightened. Was she that seriously ill? What was wrong with her? “What is it?” he asked, his voice hoarse as he nearly choked on the words.

“I – I’m with child….” She whispered, the tears streaming down her cheeks.

He was stunned, although he should not be given their relationship.

“I – I should have thought…. But we…. We’ve been so happy….” She sobbed now as Obi-Wan took her into his arms and held her close.

“Shhh….” He rocked her gently.

When she could speak again she whispered. “In spite of everything…. I want this baby…. It… it seems selfish….”

“No”, he said, rubbing her back. “You’re not selfish. And…. I want the child also….”

She lifted her head to look at him. “You do? I’m sorry…. I don’t mean to imply that you wouldn’t….”

“I understand”, he said, smiling. “I know the risks… the difficulties…. But…. This child was conceived of love. This child is a gift. No matter what - I want our child.”

He held her once more, stroking her hair as the two of them sat in silence.

“What will we do?” she whispered.

“We don’t have to decide that now. When the time comes we will figure it out – together.”

The weeks passed into months and one night in the middle of a Tatooine sandstorm the child was born.

“What is it?” she asked as Obi-Wan gently washed the crying baby. They had sensed the gender of the child but could not be sure – it wasn’t every day that a baby had Jedi as parents.

Obi-Wan smiled down at the little one as he carefully wrapped her in soft cloth before carrying her over to Alleana. “A girl”, he confirmed, laying her in her mother’s arms. “A beautiful little girl.”

Alleana looked down at the tiny, perfect baby and began to cry as Obi-Wan put his arms around her and held her close. He remembered another birth he had been present at – the birth of Anakin’s twins. It was a juxtaposition that amazed him. The arrival of those babies should have brought great joy but even in the midst of those tiny new lives entering the world there was profound sadness – Anakin’s turn, Padme’s death, the destroying of the order and so many lives had clouded the birth of Luke and Leia. Here though, in this tiny hut in the middle of the desert, after the birth of his daughter all he could feel was tenderness, love and joy. He ran a finger over the tiny hand that gripped a corner of her blanket and smiled but still felt a bit sad. Perhaps Anakin could have known this joy but he had thrown it away in anger.

He looked down at Alleana who smiled at him and bent to kiss her. When he released her lips he spoke. “Katia?” he asked. It was the name Alleana had chosen and he liked the sound of it.

“Katia”, she agreed, laying her head against his chest as he held them.

15. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Nice update! So tender and sweet. :)

16. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a bit more...

Several weeks later Alleana laid Katia down to sleep in the makeshift cradle they had fashioned for her and stepped outside to sit on the steps beside Obi-Wan. While they had been happy with Katia there was an underlying current of anxiety between them. They both knew what it was but up until tonight neither of them had been able to face it.

They stared at the stars for several moments in silence before Alleana spoke. “What are we going to do?”

Obi-Wan sighed and looked down at the ground. He squeezed his eyes tight shut as if what he was about to say caused him great physical pain. “Every day that she remains here she is in danger. If the Empire were to find us here….. to find her here with us….”

Alleana shivered. He could not say the words but she knew what he meant. The Emperor and Vader must not find Katia. If they did and she and Obi-Wan were not able to protect her they could take her from them – try to turn her from a young and tender age. Perhaps Katia would not even live to be turned. Vader could easily kill her out of revenge and hatred for Obi-Wan. Both scenarios made Alleana go cold and sick inside. Her beautiful, innocent daughter….

“We must keep her safe”, Alleana said, her voice firm.

Obi-Wan was quiet again for a time before he spoke. “There is a way.”

“What is it?”

“You could take Katia and leave here. You can go to Alderaan. Bail Organa is there. He can help us”, he said.

“A-and you?” Alleana whispered.

“I will remain here. You and Katia are safer away from me. The Empire thinks you’re dead. They know I’m alive somewhere. You will be there for Katia. You can give her a good life.”

“But she needs you! She needs her father!” she said, her voice breaking.

“Alleana”, he said, taking her hands. “This isn’t easy for me – it isn’t easy for both of us – but we must do what we have to do to keep Katia safe.”

She breathed, willing herself to remain calm. “You’ll be left here alone….”

He brushed her hair back. “I’ve been alone before…. But I won’t be alone, not really. I have my love for you and Katia. I’ll know you are both safe and that my daughter will be able to have a good life.”

Tears ran down her face. “She – she is strong in the force. What of that?”

Obi-Wan thought for a moment. Katia could be trained but there were risks. Was it safer for her to remain ignorant of her abilities and to grow up as if she were just any other girl or would a knowledge of the force prevent her from being tempted by the dark side if she were ever threatened in the future.

“I don’t know. I – I will mediate on it. But in the meantime I should compose a message to Organa. A coded message will take time to reach him.”

Alleana began to sob but nodded in acquiescence. He took her into his arms and rocked her, holding her close and burying his face in her hair as he cried.

The following morning he climbed from the bed, kissing Alleana gently. She did not stir and he was grateful that at least one of them had gotten some sleep that night. He had not been so lucky. He heard Katia moving in her cradle and when he stepped over to it he found his daughter awake. He smiled down at the baby as she waved a tiny fist at him and cooed.

“Hello there”, he said, lifting Katia from the cradle. “Want to watch the sunrise with me? Come – let’s let your mother sleep.”

He sat outside and cradled Katia carefully in his lap so that she could see the pink and orange lighting the sky as the twin suns began to rise.

“There, look how pretty”, he whispered.

Suddenly a mist began to form in front of him, figures at first obscured becoming clearer. A young woman sitting, talking with a young man. Both were smiling, relaxed. The vision shifted again as he saw the same young woman holding a lightsaber aloft, ready for battle, yet calm, confident. The vision changed one more time. This time he recognized the setting. It was the cellar beneath his home. The young woman was removing something from behind a rock and then showing it to the young man. She removed a projection device from its pouch and pressed the button to activate it. He blinked and the vision was over and the suns had nearly finished rising.

Tears formed in Obi-Wan’s eyes as he lifted Katia and looked into her eyes. “You will be alright, little one. Even though I am not there beside you I will always be with you. Always.”

“You know what Master Yoda taught – the future is always in motion”, Alleana said when he told her of his vision.

“I know that”, he said. “Still, it is hopeful.”

“You really think she was with him?” she asked.

“I think so. I can’t be sure but it felt like…. Luke”, he said. “If the Empire falls and if she and Luke find their way to one another…. Perhaps they can help one another. Perhaps with them the Jedi will return.”

“And the projector – the one you said Katia found here?”

“I’ve seen those models at Toshi Station. I can find one there.”

“You said she found it herself…. So she did not know until she did….”

“That’s what I believe. You must keep her safe and sheltered. When the time is right the force will show her the way. She will find her way to me.”

“She found a recorder…. Not you. What of you?” she asked, her eyes fearful.

“I don’t know…but I saw Katia happy. Strong and safe. We must hold onto that.”

“I…. I don’t understand all of it but…. I trust you”, she said. “I’ll follow what you say.”

He nodded and took her into his arms.

The horrible day arrived.

Alleana tried not to cry as she stood holding Katia in her arms with a small bag of their things strapped to her back. She needed to be brave – for Katia. Katia would need her. That thought was the only thing that kept her going now. They had decided that Obi-Wan would not accompany them to the station. The less attention drawn to them the better. There was one more step to take before they said their goodbyes.

Obi-Wan stoked the fire in the heater despite the warm temperature of the day. It would need to burn hot to do the job. When it was ready he looked at her and she nodded. She reached for the lightsaber attached to her belt and unclipped it. She stood for a moment, looking at it. She had built this lightsaber herself, to destroy it would be closing a chapter on her life for good. They had discussed this decision for a long time. Without it Alleana would have no weapon and could only rely on the force itself if she encountered trouble during the trip to Alderaan but if someone noticed she carried it…. Order 66 had not happened so long ago that the Jedi were forgotten and someone could alert the Empire. They had decided it would be better to destroy it instead of leaving it with him. If anything happened to him and the Empire were to raid his home they might find her lightsaber. She breathed deeply. She had been taught that this weapon was her life.

But then she looked down at her daughter cradled in her arms. Now her daughter was her life.

She stepped forward and tossed the lightsaber into the fire.

Obi-Wan closed the door of the heater so that they didn’t have to watch it burn.

“Bail Organa will send word to me when you reach Alderaan”, he said, his voice hoarse as he cupped her face in his hands. “Keep yourself and Katia safe. Be happy. Promise me.”

“I – I will keep myself and Katia safe…. But I can’t promise you I will be happy….” She cried openly now.

“You will”, he whispered, kissing her tear-stained cheeks.

He lifted Katia from her arms then, cradling her close, burying his face in the tiny crook where her shoulder met her neck, wetting it with his tears. “Always remember I love you Katia”, he whispered.

Giving the baby back to Katia they walked together to the edge of the property, her hand in his. Before they parted he kissed her deeply. “I love you”, he said.

“And I you”, she whispered.

He watched them until they disappeared from sight and then he sank to the sand, despair washing over him in waves. He stayed there until long after the sunset. Back in the house he cried as he destroyed Katia’s cradle and burned the wood – wiping out any evidence that his daughter had ever existed. Then he crawled into the sheets that still held Alleana’s scent. He felt that he had aged a lifetime. He had noticed in the last few weeks before Alleana’s departure that strands of white were beginning to pepper his hair and beard and wrinkles he suspected were permanent had begun to show on his face. Perhaps they were the effects of stress and heartbreak….

The next day he awoke and made his way to the Lars farm to watch over young Luke. He must watch over the boy. One day he could save the galaxy…. And watch over his precious daughter.

Alderaan

“I left him…..” Alleana sobbed. “I left him….” The sobs choked her as she cried violently.

Rieekan wrapped her tightly in his embrace, not knowing how to console her. His heart ached for her and for Katia. He felt helpless. Finally the sobs stopped and her head began to grow heavy on his shoulder. Perhaps this would be cathartic for Alleana…. Perhaps now she could heal. He lowered her gently to the bed.

“Rest now. You are safe – you and Katia. I’ll stay with you until you sleep”, he whispered.

She nodded sleepily but before she closed her eyes and succumbed to slumber she squeezed his hand. “You are a good man”, she whispered. “My daughter will have a good father.”

Her pronouncement touched him deeply and he could not speak. He watched over her until she slept and then he walked slowly back to his room.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet updates and now I understand why they had to separate. @};- [face_thinking] Alleana is fortunate, and so is Katia, to find two gentle, caring daddies. :) :D

18. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    A little bit more.... Thank again for reading!

Alderaan – Nine years before destruction

“Daddy!”

The little girl yelled with excitement as she broke away from the crowd of children exiting the school and raced to Rieekan’s waiting arms. He laughed as he scooped her up and hugged her.

“I missed you!”

“I missed you too Katia”, he said, smiling. “I brought you something”, he added, pulling a small doll from the jacket of his uniform.

Katia’s eyes widened as she took the doll. “Thank you!”

“You’re welcome”, he said, setting her down. As he stood up he saw Alleana approaching. She froze as she saw him, a tentative smile spreading over her face.

“Mommy! Daddy’s back!” Katia exclaimed.

His heart skipped a beat when he saw Alleana and he smiled. She was his wife, though not in truth, and though Katia thought he was her father he was not. Oh for all intents and purposes he was – he loved her as if she were his own, he had from the start, but she wasn’t of his blood. That mattered not to him. But Alleana….

“Hello Carlist”, she said, her eyes kind.

They embraced and he kissed her forehead – all the physical contact that had ever been between them. He kept telling himself this was enough….

He looked tired, battle weary and her heart ached for him. She longed to tell him how she felt. She wasn’t sure exactly when it had happened but somewhere along the way she had fallen in love with Captain Carlist Rieekan. During his time away serving in the Rebel Army she had nervously monitored the reports, fearing for his safety constantly and often staying up late into the night to receive the encrypted communications from him telling her that he was safe.

She had grieved for Obi-Wan for years, loved him still; that would not change. But more and more her memories of Obi-Wan were not gut wrenching but fond and she found her heart tugging her in a new direction. Now, as she looked at Carlist, tall and handsome, not yet forty, with kind blue eyes, her heart beat as it had not in years.

If only things were not so awkward….

She was unsure how he felt but she would not probe his mind. She had not used her abilities in years, nor would she do so now. She owed him more than to invade his thoughts.

“I brought you something too”, he said, pulling her away from her thoughts as they walked home with Katia. He handed her a small wrapped package.

She smiled gently and unwrapped it, the lovely fragrance emerging as she pulled the paper away from the cake of scented soap. Her eyes lit with pleasure. “Oh that’s lovely”, she said, breathing deeply of the scent.

She had never owned any scented soaps or perfumes. Growing up at the temple they were luxuries that were not necessary – being clean was enough, but now she couldn’t wait to use this.

“Thank you”, she said, smiling up at him. He smiled back, yet his eyes seemed sad, uncertain and lonely.

“I’ll be here for a few weeks and then I’ll be out again”, he said.

Alleana’s heart sank. She could not do it – she could not let him go off to war again without him knowing what she felt.

Sleep alluded him. He stood up, bare-chested and went over to his desk to review the latest information from the Alliance army, documents he had already looked at prior to bed. He sighed as he read another paragraph over again before standing up and stepping away. Nothing could tear his thoughts away from her.

They had walked home to the house that Alleana kept immaculate and she had served him a delicious home cooked meal. Over the years Alleana had grown to be a good cook and he had enjoyed the meal. Afterwards they had gotten Katia ready for bed and he had read her a story before saying goodnight. Then he and Alleana had gone their separate ways as they had every night since they’d wed – to their separate bedrooms.

He stopped to stand in front of the mirror above his bureau, wondering if she would find him attractive. His hair was thick and dark, in his late thirties he showed no signs of greying yet. He was tall with sharp blue eyes, albeit they did have some creases in the corners to match the ones at his forehead – the stress of the war he had no doubt. His physique was impeccable – well muscled, not a hint of extra weight.

He sighed and walked toward the door to the balcony. Standing and looking out at the mountains always cleared his head, perhaps it would help now….

She walked down the hall, knocking softly before she lost her nerve, careful not to wake Katia. She opened the door and saw him turned to face her, his eyes wide as she closed the door softly behind her and crossed the room

He couldn’t speak, couldn’t breathe…. She was a vision of loveliness. She wore a pale ivory robe over her nightgown and her hair hung loose in soft waves making her look younger than she was.

“I-is everything alright? Katia –“

“Katia’s sleeping”, she said, her own voice sounding hoarse. “I – I needed to speak with you.”

“Of course”, he said, now wondering if something else were wrong. Was Alleana unhappy? What if she didn’t want to be married to him any longer? He felt sick inside. “Why don’t we sit down”, he made himself say.

“Alright”, she replied as they sat side by side on the chairs that sat on the balcony.

“A-are you unhappy?” he asked suddenly.

She turned from the view of the mountains in surprise. “No”, she said. “Why?”

He found he was able to breathe again. “No reason. I just thought…. When you said you wanted to talk…”

“Oh no. I love it here. Katia is so happy.”

“I’m glad. I love her very much”, he said, his voice sincere.

“I know you do. And she loves you”, she hesitated. And so do I. How to say it?

“I – I know it’s been hard for you”, he said. “Leaving… leaving him…..” It was the first time that had spoken of this since the first night she had spent in this home.

Alleana looked once more at the mountains. “It was hard and he was a good man. I did love him very much”, she said, she stole a look at him and found him staring at the mountains as well, his jaw set tight and his eyes pained. She was taken aback. Could it be…. Did it bother him to hear her speak so? And did that mean…. Did Carlist love her? Hope flooded through her as she continued. She needed to tell him and ease his hurt, reassure him and love him.

She laid her hand gently on his arm. He turned to face her, eyes wide. “Y-you are a good man also. You have been so kind to me and to Katia.”

He stared for a moment before standing abruptly and stepping away. “I can’t compare to… him. He was a Jedi master…. Katia’s true father and…. You loved him.”

Alleana stood, determined. “I did. And a part of me always will…..” He lowered his head. “But as time has gone on my feelings have changed and I….. I fell in love again.”

He lifted his head slowly, turning to look at her.

“It happened little by little…. You…. You were so kind, caring. You made me feel safe and when you were gone I’d miss you terribly, worry about you so much…. I only just realized…. I couldn’t let you leave again without telling you…”

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEEEEEEEE! Beautiful and well-paced realizationand disclosures. :D =D=

20. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Just a little part to finish this up and kind of a little teaser at the end although I'm still thinking on it. Thank you so much for reading!
    He walked over to her, lifting shaking hands to cup her face. A slow smile began to spread over his face and Alleana sighed with relief, smiling also. “I – I love you Carlist…. I-“

And then his mouth found hers. “I’ve loved you from the moment I first saw you.” They sat on the bed and he reached to caress her cheek, his thumb wiping away a tear. “What is it?” he whispered. “Are you sad?”

“No – I’m happy, so happy”, she breathed, kissing him again.

“Tomorrow we should take Katia on a picnic in the mountains”, he whispered.

“I’d like that. So would she”, Alleana replied as she snuggled closer to him beneath the covers of his bed.

“I want to spend as much time as I can with the both of you before I have to leave again”, he said, dropping a kiss on her forehead.

“In that case”, she said, raising her head to smile at him. “I think that tomorrow I should move my things into this room.”

He brushed her hair back and grinned. “I’d like that – very much”, he said. Chuckling as she smiled before turning serious for a moment. “There’s something else. I was going to wait to tell you until I was sure but….”

“What is it?” she asked.

“There’s talk…. There’s talk that they may make me a general”, he said.

“Oh Carlist! That is an honor”, she said, her eyes proud.

“I just hope – I hope I can live up to their expectations”, he said.

“You will, my love”, she said, laying back down in his arms. “You will.”

Katia sat staring at the tomb, Kira’s hand in her own. “I was very lucky to have him”, she said.

They turned then, almost at once, sensing the presence approaching from behind them.

“I thought I’d find the two of you here”, Luke said, laying his hands on Katia’s shoulders and bending to kiss the top of her head before the two women moved to stand next to him. “He would be very proud of you. Of the both of you; just like I am”, he added.

They smiled at him.

“We should go. It’s late”, Katia replied.

As the three of them walked away from the tomb together Katia turned briefly to look back. Her stepfather had given her and her mother a second chance at life. She thought back to the time almost a year ago when she had woken in the resistance medical facility and received another second chance. She was so grateful for that, for her family and for Carlist Rieekan who had given her his name and a father’s love those years before.

The End

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A wonderful conclusion. =D= Gentle and warm. Thanks for sharing.