main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT The Journal of the Former Emperor's Hand [L/M] Updated: 12/24/17

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Carlos Danger, Jan 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks for reading. I would think in any army most soldiers are just people who love their country or they are people who are forced into the military and are just following orders. I have a hard time believing you can acquire an army of evildoers...unless you are Negan from The Walking Dead. :p

Entry 35

Dinner was delicious, but the conversation was exceedingly awkward. I was barely seated before Marta started bombarding me with questions about the Jedi.

“What is Jedi Skywalker like? Is he anything like the way New Republic propaganda movies portray him?”

“I wouldn’t know, I never watched a Skywalker propaganda movie,” I murmured as Commander Darten passed me a bowl of streamed vegetables from which I scooped out a modest serving onto my plate. I glanced up at the woman. “I’m surprised that you’ve watched them…him being a rebel and you being an Imperial and all.”

She rolled her eyes. “I’m not interested in the hero of the rebellion, but the Jedi Knight. Unlike you, I grew up with Jedi as my heroes. I was horrified when I was told they tried to overthrow the government and the Emperor had them killed. I was heartbroken. What I want to know is how is he as a Jedi?”

“Since I didn’t grow up with the Jedi around,” I said as I served myself a slab of nerf steak before passing the dish to Marta. “I have no idea how he stacks up as a Jedi.”

Marta frowned slightly. “Well, tell me what he’s like as a man.”

I gave a soft sigh as I pushed my food around my plate with my fork. “He’s shorter than I imagined…probably one-point-seven meters. He’s not the cocky pilot that I assumed he would be. He once was a farmer and he maintains his small town boy persona.”

Marta gazed at me with an expression of rapt attention and wonder. “Who trained him? Did some Jedi survive?”

I gave a small shrug of my shoulder. “He said he was trained some a Jedi Master named Yoda.”

“Yoda!” She grinned widely as she turned to her husband. “You remember the Grand Master Yoda don’t you?”

He shrugged his shoulders as he tried to finish chewing a large chunk of meat. I think he purposely kept his mouth full so to avoid the conversation entirely. I was considering following his example if this interrogation continued much longer. Finally he managed to swallow his food and gave an expression of contemplation. “Yoda…was he that Jedi with the really long neck? You know, the Quermian?”

Her face scrunched up in disbelief. “You know its not. You are an intelligence agent. You may deny it, but I am sure the Emperor had you actively searching for any surviving Jedi. I am positive you can list off their names, species and the addresses of their next of kin if you wanted to.”

“I’m sorry, honey. I can’t remember who Yoda was. Why don’t you refresh my memory? What species was he?”

She opened her mouth to say something but then closed it. “I don’t know, but I can tell you he was green.”

“Oh,” my commander said with a nod of the head. “Was he the Nautolan?”

She shook her head. “You’re thinking of Kit Fisto.”

He threw up his hands in defeat. “Sorry, but I honestly was not assigned to the Jedi-hunting death squads.” He pointed a fork in my direction. “I’m certain Litassa has more interesting stories to tell. She shared a ship cabin with Skywalker for almost two weeks. Surely he told her everything he knows about the Jedi.”

I glowered at my boss. He didn’t like his wife’s line of questioning so he steers the conversation towards me.

Marta turned to me grinning excitedly. “Two weeks trapped in a small cabin with a Jedi. That is so…”

‘If she said Romantic I would scream’.

“So intimate.”

‘That was almost as bad’.

I cleared my throat before forcing a smile on my face. “We stayed in the common crew areas most of the time and only went to the cabin to sleep. It wasn’t that intimate.”

Marta looked disappointed. “I’m an old woman hoping for scandalous details.” She took another sip of her wine. “I’m disappointed.”

“I’m sorry I don’t have any salacious details to share. Skywalker was very professional during our mission. Although we were posing as an engaged couple, he always a gentleman and never took advantage of the situation.”

Marta nodded. “He sounds like a good man.”

I reluctantly had to agree. “He is. He doesn’t appear to have a deceitful bone in his body. I guess you can say I trust him.”

“So,” Marta continued. “Is he celibate?”

That question surprised me so much I nearly choked on my food. I managed to get the steak down with the help of a lot of wine. “I assure you I have no knowledge of the man’s sex life.”

Marta blushed. “Sorry, I should have prefaced that questions with an explanation before asking. The reason I asked is because the Jedi of old did not have families. Some were celibate. Others had casual relationships and that was tolerated as long as they didn’t form an attachment. That is why they were such great fodder for romance holo-dramas when I was a child. The handsome celibate Jedi is seduced by the beautiful woman he saved from crime lords. It was forbidden love.”

I shook my head. “I never discussed sex with Skywalker.”

“You should ask him that question the next time you see him,” Commander Darten said as he chewed his food. “Ask him if is going to train new Jedi to be celibate warriors?”

I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration. “I’m not going to ask him that question.”

“It would be a shame if he did,” Marta continued. “Having sex without forming a connection seemed so loutish. Why were one-night-stands okay with the Jedi order and not having a family?”

“I can think of a reason,” my commander suggested. “The Jedi were the most powerful people in the galaxy before their demise. They had powers that made them almost god-like. Most people couldn’t take them on directly, unless you found a weakness. Families make a person vulnerable. If a criminal could abduct a spouse or child of a Jedi they could probably make that Force-user do anything they want in exchange for the safe return of their loved ones.”

“I suppose you’re right.”

“Or the criminal could keep the child if he or she is a Force user,” I said quietly. “They can train the kid to do their bidding. I’m sure most crime lords would love to have their very own Force-user at their beck-and-call.”

“Then maybe it is best if Skywalker doesn’t have children,” Marta mused out loud. “Any child of his would be a target for every malcontent in the galaxy.”

I don’t know why, but I suddenly felt bad for Skywalker. If he married and had a family he probably would have to protect them constantly from bounty hunters, fanatical holojournalists and kidnappers. Also, if Skywalker’s parentage was ever discovered his family might fall prey to that dangerously obsessive Cult of Vader.

“Hey, do you watch the holo-series ‘Blackwing walkers’?” My commander asked me, mercifully changing the subject. “The new season premier is showing tomorrow and Marta and I are going crazy about the previous season finale’s cliffhanger. Who died at the end of last season?”

I dove into this new line of conversation with enthusiasm. I’d prefer discussing virus-mutated monsters over Skywalker any day.

Entry 36

Two weeks had passed before I heard from Skywalker. It was an encrypted message asking me to meet him on the mid-rim world of Chalcedon where he and Han Solo were meeting some smuggler contacts. He refused to tell me over the comm what information he had and insisted that I meet him personally. I am sure this is just an excuse for him to badger me about Jedi training again.

I talked to my commander who approved the mission. Since there were no public transit shuttles to Chalcedon (mainly because it is a volcanic hellhole), Commander Darten was forced to provide me with a small civilian shuttle. I would have preferred an Imperial Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle with all its luxuries, but am certain Skywalker wouldn’t appreciate me scaring off all of his smuggler contacts. The Jedi said he would send me detailed rendezvous information when I reach the Chalcedon System.

Entry 37

I have entered the Chalcedon System and received a message from Skywalker that the meeting was changed to the nearby planet of Takodana. That is fine with me; at least that planet has a temperate climate, with lush green forests and large pristine lakes and oceans. I got landing coordinates for an area near a lakeside fortress where I am to meet the Jedi.

Entry 38

Our rendezvous location was a stone citadel full of more smugglers and bounty hunters of various species than I have ever seen in my life. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise. The Empire has know about this smuggler haven for decades, but since it was near the outer rim and the world held no tactical importance my government has ignored its presence. I entered the large castle and moved into a dimly lit tavern where I saw Skywalker sitting at the establishment’s busy bar. He waved me over and pulled his coat off the adjacent seat that he was obviously saving for me.

“Its nice to see you again Litassa?” he said with a smile. Before I could respond the cantina’s band started wailing a jaunty tune that made conversation impossible. Skywalker stood and motioned for me to follow. I didn’t sense any danger or deception from the man, so I fell in step behind him. We roamed down a dark corridor and then entered a room which I quickly realized was the man’s rented living quarters. He closed the large door and then turned to lean against it. “This place is loud. Sorry about that.” He looked around the room and blushed slightly. “I tried to rent a conference room, but this is the best I could do. I hope you don’t feel uncomfortable.”

I sighed dramatically as I sat on the edge of his bed. “I have been in more than one hotel room with you Skywalker. Plus we shared a cabin for almost two weeks. Any awkwardness has long passed.”

“Good.” He smiled as he ran his hand across his chin, scratching the mangy stubble that looked like the start of a beard. “I thought we’d get together and discuss our findings.”

"Sure." I leaned back on his bed, propping myself up on my elbows. “I identified a majority of the ships. Most are smugglers, but others were old Imperial freighters. They belonged to Moff H’atsk’s fleet. He deserted, along with his armada, over a year ago.”

He pushed off the door and started to pace the room. “So whoever is buying all of these supplies are former Imperials.”

“Possibly, or the Moff sold off his ships and equipment and he's now off on some ocean world's beach drinking spice-spiked fruity drinks and getting a tan.”

The Jedi stopped and cocked his head questioningly. “Who would have the funds to purchase a fleet?”

“Well,” I said slowly. “I did notice a number of Munn ships in the port. There might be a chance that the IGBC is involved.”

His eyes went wide. "The InterGalactic Banking Clan? No…they are the New Republic’s creditors. They are on our side.”

“Yes,” I said sarcastically. “They are on our side. They are the Empire’s creditors, also. What makes you think they won’t provide funds to a third party?”

He frowned as he sat down on his bed a respectful distance from me. “If the IGBC is involved it will be hard to crack this case. They are one of the most secretive organizations in the Galaxy and they are powerful.”

I nodded. “True. Credits talk.” I turned so I was laying on my side facing the Jedi. “So what did you discover with the tracking devices?”

He shook his head. “Nothing. The ships must be going deep into the unknown region to places our relay probes haven’t reached.”

“What?” I sat up and glared at the man. “You call a meeting and you don’t have anything to share.” I stood and straightened my tunic. “I should have guessed this was a farce…a chance to badger me about training with you.”

“No, no,” Skywalker stood and put his hands out in a beseeching manner. “I have something to share, but not about the trackers. I think I may have figured out how Kort’s ship was hijacked.”

“Oh.” I sat back down. “Please continue.”

Skywalker walked over to a small dresser and picked up a datapad. “Remember when Adar and Hoku found that strange burrower virus that they said was almost undetectable.”

He pointed to the datapad and I immediately recognized the information taken off Korts ship. "I remember."

“Well, they thought the supposed burrower was what allowed the ship to be remotely accessed. Since they never saw that particular programing before and they just assumed it was the cause of the hijacking. They were confused as to what it was and how it got there. When I showed it to our New Republic slicers were also stumped.”

“As was our Imperial slicers,” I admitted.

“It wasn’t until I showed my brother-in-law the program that we discovered it wasn’t something used to take over a ship. It was a somewhat secret computer program used by smuggler captains and its existence is often hidden from their crew. Han thinks it was probably installed by Captain Kort himself. It is a ship tracker. Ship owners install the covert program in case their ship is stolen by their crew or pirates.”

My brow furrowed in confusion. “Then why wouldn’t Kort let us know.”

Skywalker sat back down on the bed, this time much closer to me. “If you remember correctly, Adar and Hoku found the program and then we were called down to see the Inquisitor. After that the crew’s minds were scrambled. Kort never knew Adar and Hoku found the program so he couldn’t tell us anything about it. Adar and Hoku honestly didn't know what the program was and they probably didn't remember finding it after their mind-wipe.”

I gave an incredulously expression. “How sure is Solo about this program?”

Skywalker grinned. “One-hundred-percent. He has it installed on the Falcon.”

I regarded him quizzically. “Then how did the ship get commandeered remotely?”

“I have a theory. After examining the hyperspace logs everything points to an inside job. I think Hoku or Adar inputted the coordinates in themselves and flew the ship to the location.”

I shook my head. “Impossible. I felt their astonishment and surprise.”

“So did I.” His blue eyes stared at me intently. “I think the person at the warehouse where they acquired the goods was another inquisitor. I believe they got mind-tricked prior to the mission. They put in the coordinates for the final destination and set the ship to automatically go into hyperdrive when they reached the first location. And neither remembers ever doing it. ”

My eyes widened slightly, but then narrowed in disbelieve. “No, that would require Force sensitives in every distribution locale.”

“And there is five. That is what Han is doing here. He is questioning his smuggler buddies and it turned out there have been five main distribution points where these smugglers are picking up the cargo.” He gave me a hopeful smile. “I thought you could accompany me to these locations and maybe help me spot former inquisitors. It would prove my theory.”

“That may be, but how will that help us find the final destination of these goods?”

Skywalker bit down on his bottom lip looking uneasy. “The New Republic believes they can get the Inquisitors to talk.”

My eyes narrowed as my temper rose slightly. “You mean torture?”

Skywalker looked away. “Intel didn’t tell me what they planned to do.”

I let out a sardonic laugh. “Please, farmboy, you can’t be that naïve.”

“You’re probably right.” He averted his eyes and I could see a blush heat his cheeks.

I crossed my arms across my chest. “Why would you think I would give up former Imperials?”

He shrugged. “Sorry. I forgot these Inquisitors were your comrades…perhaps friends.” He reached up and rubbed the back of his neck. "Maybe we can insert an undercover agent to befriend them...perhaps get them drunk and loosen their tongues."

"I think you watch too many spy-holos. These men are trained killers. They are not going to let their guard down."

His shoulders slumped. "There has to be a way."

Before I could respond there was a knock on the door causing Skywalker to jump off the bed nervously. He moved forward and put a hand on the closed door before turning to me wide-eyed. “It’s Han.”

I was a little confused by his behavior. “So?”

His earlier blush turned a deep red. “I’d rather he not see you here in my room.” He looked back at the door as the knocking became louder. “He’ll tease me unmercifully.”

I had to laugh. Here was the hero of the rebellion acting like a teenager who smuggled a girl into his room and was about to be caught by his parents. I grinned deviously as I unbuttoned the top two buttons of my tunic revealing some cleavage before lying down on the Jedi’s bed in a semi-provocative pose. “I really want to see how you handle this.”

He looked at me pleadingly before an expression of defeat crossed his face. He opened the door a few centimeters peeking out. “Hey Han, what’s up?”

“What’s up?” said the man on the other side of the door. “Let me in so I can tell you what I found out.”

I could see the door move a bit but the Jedi kept his brother-in-law out. “Han, can we talk later.”

Through the Force I felt a shift of emotions from Solo. It was suspicion and worry, followed by the sound of a blaster being pulled from its holster. “Luke, is there somebody in there with you.” The man whispered the question, but I was able to pick up the conversation with the help of some Force-enhanced hearing.

“Yes, there is somebody in here with me,” the Jedi said out loud but then lowered his voice to a whisper. “Han, I am talking to a lady friend. Can you give me some privacy?”

I heard the smuggler on the other side of the door chuckle. “Alright, kid…but isn’t your Imperial girlfriend going to give you hell if she finds out you have a party girl in your room.”

The Jedi groaned as he leaned his head on the door. “Han she isn’t my girlfriend.”

“Oh come on. You talk about her constantly. Litassa is so beautiful and talented and strong with the Force. You can’t tell me you don’t have a thing for her. She’s got you tied up in knots.”

I could feel waves of embarrassment flow from the Jedi…and I couldn't help but add to his mortification. I jumped off the bed and pulled the door open far enough to see Solo. “You must be Han Solo.” Skywalker sighed and gave up blocking the door, allowing it to swing open. I offered the smuggler my hand. “Hello, I’m Litassa Coley, Force-user, Imperial and, apparently, an expert knot tyer.”

Solo gave me a lopsided grin as he reached out and clasped my hand. “It is so nice to finally meet you.” He looked over to Skywalker and gave him a wide toothy smile. “Luke has told me so much about you.”

“And he’s told me a lot about you.” I motioned him to enter the small room. “Come on in. I’d love to hear what you’ve discovered here in this smuggler haven.”

I glanced over to Skywalker who had a long-suffering expression on his face. It was the look of a man who knew he was going to be taunted unmercifully in the future.

And after enduring Marta’s embarrassing questions about the Jedi, all I can say is, ‘Better him than me.’

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I know my mom served three years in the US Military to help pay for school and from the sound of things in Star Wars entering an Imperial Academy would get you job experience and maybe you'd do a short stint in the military but at least you'd be able to get work afterwards.

I'm almost surprised that Obi-Wan and Anakin didn't come up in the conversation about good looking Jedi. And her boss has a strong point about why Jedi didn't have families.

I think I heard something about Ben/Kylo running away from his uncle and falling in with a gang that looked up to Vader.

Mara is having a little too much fun at Luke's expense methinks. XD

I wonder how their search for the possible Inquisitors is going to go.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    I was going to have Marta talk about Anakin Skywalker, but I didn't want to drag out the scene. I just wanted to solidify in the reader's mind that this older couple aren't necessarily hardcore Imperials and at least the wife has a soft spot for Jedi. Mara needs to have somebody to confide with other than Skywalker.

I haven't decided if Mara is going to agree to look for the inquisitors. I don't outline, I make up things as I go along.

Thank you for reading!!!

Solo entered with a smirk and sat down in the only chair in the room. I am sure it was a calculated move to force Skywalker and me to sit on the bed together. Obviously, Solo thought it would make us uncomfortable. His plan was working with Skywalker, but I jumped on the edge of the bed nonchalantly not wanting to give the smuggler any satisfaction.

“So, what did you find out Solo?”

Solo leaned back in his chair and stretched his legs out. “Luke thought Inquisitors were at the pickup sites doing mind tricks on the navigators. I thought bribing the crew might be a more reasonable explanation. So, I talked to some of my smuggler buddies who I was positive wouldn’t fall prey to bribery…you know…family operations.” Solo paused and looked around the room. “Do you have anything to drink? Ale or whiskey.”

“I’ll buy you a damn drink when you finish your story,” I said gruffly.

I expected Solo to get angry but he just guffawed and looked at Skywalker. “You like them feisty I see.” He turned his attention to me and grinned. “There is no way of knowing for sure because of the mind wipes, but I found a number of family run smuggling operations who went on these missions to the unknown region. These are people I know personally. Most of the navigators are sons or daughters. They wouldn’t take a bribe.”

I leaned back on the bed. “So you think an Inquisitor is influencing the crew as Skywalker believes?”

Solo shrugged. “I don’t know.” He turned to the Jedi. “Didn’t you always tell me that mind tricks only worked on the weak minded? These smugglers don’t have weak minds.”

Skywalker eventually sat on the corner of the bed. “Han, these are Inquisitors. They are trained to make people do things they won’t want to.”

Solo focused his attention on me. “Luke said you were an Inquisitor. Do you think you could make a person do something they don’t want to?”

I nodded. “I am certain of my abilities.”

Solo stood to face me. “Try it on me.”

I frowned. “Try what on you?”

He put his arms akimbo striking a heroic pose. “Try to do a mind trick on me.”

I sat up and grinned wickedly. “Okay, if you are asking for it.”

Skywalker turned and put a hand out in warning. “Something not deadly.”

Solo’s eyes went wide, like he just realized I could have told him to shoot himself with a blaster. “Yeah, not deadly, but it has to be something that I wouldn’t want to do. I need to be conflicted about doing it. That is what these smugglers would be thinking if they were given a Force suggestion by an Inquisitor.”

I heaved a sigh as I thought of something distasteful but not deadly to suggest to Solo. “Fine.” I stood and gazed at the smuggler intensely. “Slap your face.”

I was amazed at the quickness and power that Solo executed the command. He went wide-eyed before he let out an astonished yelp. “Damn! You didn’t have to make me do it so hard.”

I shook my head in disbelief. “I didn’t even mention how hard, I just told you to slap yourself.”

To my great surprise the smuggler smacked himself again. “Stop that!” He screamed angrily.

I put my hands up in a disarming gesture. “Sorry. I guess I don’t know my own strength when it comes to suggestions.” I heard Skywalker behind me making some weird muffling sound. I turned and found him lying on the bed, his hands over his mouth and desperately trying to suppress his laughter.

Solo glared at his brother-in-law. “Don’t laugh Junior. You’ve been under her spell for far longer than I have.”

I rolled my eyes. “You still don’t trust me? Do you think I am doing a Force mind-trick to bend Skywalker to my will?”

The smuggler smirked. “He may be bending to your will, but I don’t think the Force has anything to do with it.”

“Han, knock it off.” The Jedi pointed to his brother-in-law then looked at me questioningly. “That is an impressive demonstration, but some of the ships took off over an hour after loading their cargo. Can a suggestion be time delayed?”

“There is only one way to find out. I’ll put another suggestion in Solo’s head and have him perform it an hour from now.”

“Wait,” Solo waved a hand in my direction. “How come I’m the person getting experimented on? Try it on Luke.”

I shook my head. “He’s a Jedi and can resist a Force suggestion. He’s not a good subject for the experiment.”

“Come on Han,” Skywalker implored. “We won’t make you do anything painful.” He turned to me with a stern look. “Right?”

I blew out a frustrated breath. “Right. How about I suggest you go out, have some fun, and return here in an hour. At that time you hop up and down on one foot and proclaim loudly that you are pretty Hoojib.”

Solo’s eyes narrowed suspiciously. “Is that all you are going to suggest? Not that I strip down and jump on one foot or that hop down the hallway chanting that I’m a hoojib.”

“I promise. It will be done in this room with just me and Skywalker present.”

Solo pointed a finger at his brother-in-law. “You make sure that is all she suggests.”

“I will.”

Solo turned back to me. “Okay, do it.”

-------

After Solo left I turned and smile widely at the Jedi. “You do have a holocam to record his return, don’t you?”

He laughed. “Yes, yes I do.” He rolled off the bed and stood, picking up a room service menu from the bedside table. “Have you eaten.”

“No, and I’m famished.”

We called in an order for food and then waited. Skywalker took the seat Solo vacated while I remained seated on the bed. “So you don’t think Force suggestions will work on Force-users?”

I shrugged. “I think it depends on the strength of the Force user. You are extremely strong with the Force, but I doubt you can overcome my shielding abilities.”

“Can we experiment?”

I looked at him suspiciously. “How so?”

“Can you see if you can make me do something I don’t want to do?”

“Like what?”

He thought about it for a while. “Something simple. Have me take off my boots or something.”

“That is not a good experiment. I doubt taking off your boots will cause you distress. Those Inquisitors were telling people to do things they would never have done if they weren’t influenced.”

“Well, suggest something you don’t think I would want to do.”

I scoffed. “You are far too trusting, Skywalker. You are opening yourself up for possible pain or embarrassment.”

He gave me a soft smile. “No, I trust you.”

“I don’t know why. On our last mission, half the time you distrusted my intentions.”

He blushed and averted his eyes. “Sometimes it is hard for me to trust. I have been betrayed more than once by people I believed were my friends.” He stood and walked over to the bed, perching himself on a corner. “Go ahead. See if you can breach my defenses.”

I thought about it for a while before acquiescing. I turned to face him fully. “Okay. Here it goes. Tell me, what did you tell Solo about me? He insinuated you expressed romantic feelings. What did you tell him?”

The Jedi’s eyes widened and I could see him struggling not to answer. Finally he stammered out his response. “I told him I didn’t feel so alone when around you. We both are Force users…we are alike. Being the lone Jedi makes me feel awkward around others. They are my friends, but I can sense they are self-conscious around me. I think they believe I can read their minds. They are amazed by my abilities, but at the same time fear the power of the Force. Most of my friends are my age. In their lifetime, the only Force users they knew were Vader, the Emperor and an occasional Inquisitor. I know people look at me and wonder if I will end up like those two…power hungry and evil.”

He opened his mouth to say more, but I stopped him. “That’s enough.” I looked down, embarrassed. “I shouldn’t have asked you that.”

He turned away, a blush heating his skin. “That’s okay. I’m glad you did. I’m not good at expressing my thoughts…especially to women. Maybe it is best that I got that out in the open.”

“You won’t end up like them,” I whispered.

“How do you know?”

I gazed him in the eye. “Because I knew and worked with Vader and Palpatine. You are nothing like them. You shine in the Force. It is something pure and good. Your father and the Emperor had a dark aura around them. The Force was turbulent and it felt…it’s hard to describe…but the Force felt foul and malevolent. I can’t imagine your light ever being extinguished and replaced with that malignant darkness.”

He gave me a boyish grin that made me feel uneasy. I was getting too close to this man. I sometimes wondered if he was unknowingly doing a mind-trick on me. Was my growing friendship with Skywalker coming out of something he desired and it was somehow being manifested and cultivated by the Force? Could I be under his spell? I needed to know. Are my shields really strong enough to resist his will? He was stronger than Palpatine, that I am sure of, and the Emperor controlled me, used me. Was Skywalker subconsciously pulling me toward him? That would explain my inexplicable growing friendship with the Jedi.

Skywalker noticed a change in my mood and reached out, putting a reassuring hand on my knee. “What’s wrong?”

I immediately scooted a few centimeters away from him and he pulled his hand back sheepishly. I turned to face him. “I was just wondering how powerful you are? Can you control me, just as I coerced you to speak now?”

He looked at me earnestly. “I would never do that.”

“I know, but can you?” I squared my shoulders. “Try to do a Force suggestion on me…something I would never do willingly.”

He looked at me confused. “I wouldn’t know what to ask.”

“Ask me to kiss you.”

He laughed. “No, I’m not going to do that. You’ll kill me if I succeed.”

“You won’t succeed.”

His eyes narrowed and I knew he accepted my challenge. “Alright, but remember this is what you wanted.” He scooted up a little closer and gazed at me intensely with those soft blue eyes. “Kiss me.”

What happened next was frightening in its intensity. I didn’t struggle; I didn’t hesitate, but kissed him with an unbridled passion. Looking back at the incident I can remember Skywalker tensing, my lips muffling his yelp of surprise. My hands seemed to move at their own volition as they traveled down his muscular back before ending their journey on his firm backside. Eventually the Jedi was able to escape my embrace and yell, “Stop, stop!”

I remember sitting on the edge of the bed in shock. He was stronger in the Force than I could possibly imagine, but that wasn’t what really bothered me. He told me to kiss him. I could have given him a peck on the cheek, but I planted a long, intense, open mouth kiss on the man and then proceeded to molest him. What the kriff was going on?!

I looked up at Skywalker who was now standing against the far wall looking very anxious. “I didn’t want that to happen,” he stuttered. “I mean, not that I wouldn’t want that to happen, but not in this way. I’m so sorry.”

I wanted to be mad at him, but I couldn’t. I asked him to try and he succeeded. Now I just needed to figure out if he was subconsciously sending me signals to desire him or did I deep down want to kiss Skywalker. Much of that heartfelt confession he said earlier mirrored my thoughts. I also was feeling alone and cut off from others because of my abilities. Nobody knew who I was, not Skywalker, not my commander. Only I knew I was really Mara Jade, the Emperor’s Hand and that was a secret I intended to take to my grave.

I felt so isolated and detached from others…but when I was with the Jedi…I too, didn’t feel so alone. I looked up at him and smiled, trying to reassure him I wasn’t going to kill him. “Don’t worry. It’s good to know one’s limitations.” There was a knock at the door. “That is probably dinner. Great because I’m starved.”

As I rose to answer the door I noticed Skywalker’s posture relaxing and a slight smile turning up the corner of his lips.

I had an urge to run away from the situation, but I resisted that impulse. I was tired of running…and I was tired of being alone.

4. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I didn't really have a plan either for the two DDC I did and for one of them what I experienced the writer experienced.

And if Marta did mention Anakin Skywalker I don't think I would have minded and it might have caused a little awkwardness with Mara hearing her gush about how handsome Anakin Skywalker was with her knowing he was Darth Vader and she, Mara, may or may not have a crush on Luke.

I think I remember hearing that you could liken a Mind Trick to hypnosis in the fact that if a person really wanted to do what was being suggested that they were more open to it but the Mind Trick is easier to do with someone that is 'weak minded' because they are less likely to realize that the thought they had to leave the room and check those last two floors or not check the ID of the occupants of a speeder weren't their own or less likely to put it together very quickly and by then it's too late. Another thing about hypnosis is that apparently you can't do anything that's against your moral code and if you have a secret desire to do _______ you are more likely to perform it if you're asked to under hypnosis (MatPat of Game/Film Theorists did a video about it a few months back). But as with a Mind Trick you can invade a person's mind and control them (see Rebels S3 Ep1).

So I think what that mess above is stating Mara has been harboring a desire to make out with Luke and the suggestion to kiss him went further than just a peck on the check. And Han was just too mentally unprepared for the Mind Trick, heck maybe arrogant about it. I can see why he would be afraid of his son later; if someone could influence him to slap himself twice and then possibly wipe an incident from his min I'd be afraid too.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    Yeah, I think Mara may be a little more attracted to the Jedi than she will even admit in her journal. :p Solo shouldn't underestimate the power of the Force. That's what got him a carbonite nap. I got time to write this week and so I will post before I go off to my night shift. Thanks for reading.

Entry 40

We ate in relative silence…or I guess I should say, an awkward silence. We had pushed the room’s small table next to the bed so I could use it as a seat and he pulled up the lone chair. He watched me quietly, stealing glances over the brim of his drinking glass, as I pretended not to notice.

Eventually the lack of conversation became too much. I set down my fork and stared at him. “Please stop feeling guilty over what happened. I underestimated your power in the Force. I won’t do that again.”

“I just feel bad…”

I put up a hand and halted his sentence. “Stop. Stop right there. We can’t form a good working relationship if you are getting all uptight and awkward over a little kiss. It’s not like you shot me with a blaster. We are both adults and it was just a kiss. Forget about it.”

He took a long swig of his drink before gazing at me sadly. “Do I have to? Forget about it, that is.”

I was shocked that he was hinting about a possible relationship. Or at least that is what I thought he was suggesting.

“It is best that you don’t dwell on the possibilities. We can never have a relationship.”

He blew out a frustrated breath. “Why not?”

“I hate to say it, but I don’t think this treaty will last. And when it is broken we will once again be enemies. You won’t join the Empire and I won’t join the New Republic. We will always be on opposite sides of the conflict.”

He glanced down at his plate as he speared some type of green vegetable. “We aren’t enemies now.”

I ran a hand through my dyed black hair. “No we aren’t. We’re friends. I would like to remain friends.”

I know he was disappointed by my answer, but it was for the best. I needed a friend, not a romantic partner. I know Skywalker is a lovelorn Jedi, but I couldn’t help him with that. I was lonely too, but I was also practical. Why begin something that would never last. Becoming friends was the best we could hope for.

Eventually a soft smile graced his lips. “Friends sounds good.”

I returned his smile. “Good.”

We returned to our meals and were having a fairly animated conversation about which star fighter was the best when Solo walked in, jumped up and down on one foot and declared, “I’m a pretty hoojib.”

Skywalker and I started laughing, especially when Solo came out of his dazed state and glowered at us. He pointed to Luke. “You two better have kept your promise.”

The Jedi put on his best innocent expression. “I swear, you didn’t do anything but jump up and down and say you are a pretty hoojib.” He held out a mini-datapad in his hand. “I got a holovid of the whole thing to prove it to you.”

Solo’s jaw dropped. “Oh no you didn’t.” He tried to grab it out of Skywalker’s hand but the Jedi tossed it to me. When Solo tried to retrieve it out of my clutches I dropped it down the front of my tunic. Solo grimaced as he stood conflicted as to what to do. Eventually he leaned against the wall and glared at us. “I know reaching down a woman’s tunic will get me a slap to the face.” He pointed an accusing finger at me. “And with you…you would probably make me do the slapping.”

“You are probably right, Solo.”

Solo’s defeated expression morphed into a devious grin as he pushed off the wall and moved to the door. “I’ll let you two alone.” He gave Skywalker a wink as he walked out the door. “You probably want to retrieve your datapad yourself.”

Once Solo was gone, I retrieved the datapad and handed it to a blushing Skywalker. “Solo is so lucky that I never learned to Force choke.”

He laughed. “He’s the luckiest man I know.” He gazed sadly at the door his friend just exited. “He has everything a man could want—a wife, child, friends…” The Jedi trailed off before returning his attention back to his meal. “Yeah, he’s one lucky guy.”

I took a sip of my drink silently agreeing with the Jedi. I finished my meal and wiped my face with a napkin as I stood. “If you don’t have more information to share, I will get back to my headquarters.”

“You just got here,” Skywalker protested. “Can’t you stay a little longer?”

“Why?”

Skywalker looked flummoxed by the question. “So we can…I don’t know…plan our next move.”

I shook my head. “There is no next move when it comes to the Inquisitor situation. I need to report to my commander. I can’t help you track down former Imperials without his permission and I am not going to ask him over the comms.”

“Can’t you stay for recreation? Just for a day or two. This world is beautiful.”

“That sounds tempting, but I am part of a military organization. We can’t just take leave without permission. Maybe if we meet again I can prearrange some time off.”

I moved toward the door but he stopped me. “Wait!” He stood and picked up a small tote bag. He reached in and to my great surprise he pulled out a lightsaber. “I want you to have this.”

I was stunned by the gift.

“Why?”

“On our last mission you mentioned you lost your lightsaber. I thought you would like a replacement.”

I reached out and took the hilt from his hand to inspect it. I glanced up at him. “This isn’t your lightsaber, is it?”

“No, I left mine on the Falcon. The proprietor of this establishment is a collector. I purchased it from her.” He flashed a smile. “I thought in the future we might get a chance to spar. I need an opponent.”

I ignited the saber and a red glowing blade appeared. I regarded Skywalker curiously. “You bought me a Sith lightsaber?”

His smile faded slightly. “Yes. I believe it belonged to an Inquisitor…it might actually be yours. I thought you would like it.”

I deactivated the blade and checked the hilt for identifying marks. “It’s not mine, but it is an Inquisitor blade.”

He looked at me expectantly. “You don’t want it?”

I gave a caustic laugh. “You do realize that if the treaty fails our sparring in the future might be to the death.”

He smiled slightly, appearing completely unperturbed by the possibility. “Hopefully it’ll never come to that.”

“Thank you. I love it, but it is dangerous for me to keep. I’m trying to hide my past.” I reached out for his hand and placed the lightsaber in his palm. “Hold it for me. The next time we’re together, maybe we can spar.” I held his hand for a long moment before I leaned in and kissed him on the cheek.

“Until we meet again Skywalker.”

6. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    So it really boils down to Luke is lonely and because Mara is the only other trained Force Sensitive he's met that isn't family he feels a sort of kinship with her.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    He feels alone and now he has a beautiful Force strong woman who has come into his life. I can imagine him thinking it is the will of the Force.

Thanks for reading everybody. It is getting close to the end of my college classes and I am really cramped for time. I have a paper due, but decided to procrastinate more and write this update instead. It was a rush. I will probably edit it more when I have time. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Entry 41

I reported back to my commander and he agreed with my decision to not help Skywalker identify the Inquisitors. He didn’t care if they were picked up and questioned about the cargo going into the Unknown Regions, but Inquisitors might be privy to other classified Imperial information that we don’t want to share with the New Republic. Commander Darten decided to send agents to the five cargo loading sites mentioned by Skywalker. They would recon and send back holovids of the cargo bay personnel in the hopes that I might recognize somebody.

Entry 42

Two months have past and the Empire is no closer to discovering the destination of those mysterious cargo shipments. We have put trackers on the ships, but they take multiple short jumps and eventually disappear into the unknown regions.

I did identify two Inquisitors from our agents’ reconnaissance of the cargo distribution areas, but it was decided to not bring them in for questioning yet. Instead we have them under surveillance. Unfortunately, they never leave the planet and a tap on their communications came up with nothing useful. These men must be communicating with their headquarters somehow. I know they are Force-users but I doubt they are exchanging information the same way Palpatine and I kept in contact. To project thoughts over the vastness of space requires an extremely powerful Force-user. Most Inquisitors had an average grasp of the Force, therefore, the person contacting them would have to be a as strong in the Force as Palpatine. I highly doubt there is anybody in the galaxy with that much power…with the exception of Skywalker, of course.

In the meantime, I have been assigned various missions to weed out corruption within the Empire. It is a job very similar to the one I once held as Emperor’s Hand except I leave the punishment part to the Imperial justice system.

[Two Years After the Battle of Endor]

Entry 43

I have become concerned about reports of child abductions. I contacted Skywalker and he confirmed that slaving operations are active in the New Republic. They are cracking down on the activity, but it still persists.

The Jedi asked to meet. I told him without a legitimate reason to rendezvous I cannot justify a mission.

Entry 44

Damn that Skywalker. The Empire and New Republic are conducting an economic summit next month and for some reason I've been invited. If Skywalker got somebody in the New Republic to request my presence by name I can kiss my new career as an intelligence officer goodbye. There would be too many questions as to why a lowly Lieutenant was invited.

Entry 45

I contacted Skywalker and he denies making an official request for my presence. Later I discovered New Republic issued an open invitation to General Officers and their staff. General Iwanuk, the commander of the Imperial Intelligence and Security Command, requested a top intelligence field agent to accompany him. I was chosen because of my previous joint mission with Skywalker. My superiors believe the Jedi will be in attendance and I am expected to cozy up to Skywalker and spy on the man and his comrades. I am positive Commander Darten highly recommended me for the mission.

Entry 46

One nice thing about traveling with a General is the first-class transportation. We voyaged to Naboo in a Lambda-class T-4a shuttle provided by the Empire’s Diplomatic service. I honestly don’t know why the summit is held on Palpatine’s homeworld of Naboo. Maybe it is something symbolic.

I accompanied the General to Theed, the planet’s capital city, and to the Royal Palace of the House of Naboo, which is an amazingly beautiful and lavishly ornate stone building surrounded by waterfalls. Today the general and I would attend a social meet-and-greet prior to the commencement of official negotiations tomorrow morning. We were dressed in our finest Imperial evening white mess uniforms used only for formal, and usually diplomatic, functions. Of course, a lowly lieutenant doesn’t have half the regalia worn by a general officer. General Iwanuk had gold tasseled epaulets, a blue and grey shoulder sash (representing the Intelligence corps colors), a highly shined black leather belt and two code cylinders in a pocket next to his blue and red rank insignia. I was wearing the women’s Imperial Evening Mess uniform, which consisted of a waist length white coat over a frilled white shirt and an ankle length black skirt. Of course all weapons were forbidden and all guests were scanned at the door. I felt naked without a blaster, but all in attendance were assured the Royal Palace Guards were more than capable of providing security.

Once inside we went through an official receiving line populated by high-ranking New Republic and Imperial leaders. Princess Leia was there along with her overly sarcastic husband. I introduced myself to the princess and immediately got a reaction out of her. Her eyes went wide and then narrowed as she scrutinized me like a Teke bug under a microscope. I could sense her mistrust. I don’t blame her. I kidnapped her brother and turned him over to the Empire. Her husband had a very different reaction. He grabbed my hand and shook it enthusiastically. He then cocked his head to his right and said, “He’s at the end of the line.”

I inwardly groaned knowing ‘he’ could only mean Skywalker. When I got to his position the Jedi smiled so widely I thought his cheek muscles might cramp. He was wearing a tan New Republic dress uniform with the rank of …general. “You’re a general?”

He looked down at his uniform sheepishly. “It was an somewhat honorary promotion given to me after the Battle of Endor. I never truly served as a general officer. Soon after my promotion, I officially retired and resigned my commission to pursue Jedi training. I’m still authorized to wear the uniform for official state functions, though.” He raked his gaze across my outfit. “That uniform is very flattering, Lieutenant.” He smiled warmly. “It’s so good to see you again Litassa. I'll be done here in a half hour…then perhaps we can talk.”

I looked over to General Iwanuk on my left. “I don’t think so. I’m acting as an aide-de-camp.”

The general obviously was eavesdropping because he turned to me and said, “Lieutenant Coley, I think I can make due without you. You and the Jedi should have some fun.”

“Yes, sir.” I said tersely.

Skywalker was now beaming. “Good. Meet me at the main balcony in a half hour.”

---------------------

A half hour later we were standing on the balcony overlooking a deep gorge surrounded by waterfalls. Skywalker turned to me while leaning on the balcony’s stone balustrade. “I’m so glad you came.”

I had to chuckled at that comment. “I am here to spy on you, Skywalker.”

He laughed along with me. “I know. I’m supposed to keep a watch on the Imperials.” He grinned boyishly. “My superiors didn’t specify ‘which’ Imperial so I decided to concentrate all my efforts on you.”

“Lucky me,” I responded caustically.

He looked back to the large ballroom that the balcony jutted off from. “Do you want to dance?”

“I guess I have to. I wouldn’t look like I am doing my job if I didn’t stay close to you tonight.”

He smiled widely as he grabbed my hand in his and led me out to the dance floor. The orchestra was playing a classic melody intended for slow dancing, so I leaned into the Jedi, putting my arms up and around his neck. I felt him tense upon contact, but eventually he relaxed and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“I hope the treaty lasts forever,” he whispered. “I can get to like this.”

“I guess it beats waking up stuncuffed and lying on the floor of a seedy hotel room,” I remarked, referring to the day I captured him.

He laughed softly. “I don’t know. Admittedly, I didn’t like the stunbolt hangover, but it was the first day we officially met, so it wasn’t all that bad.”

I had to roll my eyes at Skywalker’s not so subtle attempt at flirtation. “You are terrible at seduction. If I were you I would stick to the charming naïve farm boy angle.”

He leaned back and looked deep into my eyes. “So you admit I’m charming?”

I audibly groaned. “I guess I walked into that one, didn’t I?”

He leaned into my embrace and whispered. “Yes you did, but I will take your advice and remain charming.”

I was about to make a smart mouth comment when I sensed a spike of danger through the Force. Skywalker must have sensed it also because he stepped back and looked around anxiously. “Where’s it coming from?”

I looked up as a shadow passed over the palace’s large stained glass domed ceiling. “We need to evacuate everybody.”

Skywalker grabbed a comlink out of his jacket pocket and shouted some orders. Meanwhile I looked for a fire alarm along the surrounding walls. When I spotted one I used the Force to activate the warning claxons. When the alarm sounded the dignitaries in the room hesitated and looked about for somebody to tell them what to do.

“Everybody evacuate,” I bellowed in my best official voice as Skywalker did the same.

An explosion interrupted the slow progression of people exiting the building as glass and rubble rained down from the ceiling above. At that point everybody went into full blown panic mode as guests trampled each other in their effort to escape. The situation worsened when a group of aliens rappelled into the room from a jumpship hovering above. I searched for the palace security but saw none. I turned to Skywalker, “Do you have a weapon”.

He shook his head, “No, but I can get us some fighting staffs.” He reached out a hand and called two flagpoles from the far wall. He stripped off the flag and handed me the two-meter hardwood pole. “We just need to hold them off until the guests escape and security gets here.”

By now the intruders were firing their blasters into the crowd. Skywalker could openly use the Force, but I had to be a little subtler in its use. I ran toward an angry looking Barabel who was unloading a stream of blasterfire at the exits. I brought up the staff and with a Force-enhance swing, made contact with the alien’s head. Their was a sickening crack as my weapon connected with his cranium and for a moment I thought I broke my staff, but it remained intact. The creature stumbled around in a daze, but surprisingly didn’t fall. I spun around and swung the weapon into the creatures face. There was a splatter of blood and this time the assailant went down. I turned to the Jedi who was using the Force to propel his opponents into the far walls. This left me with one motley looking Rodian to contend with. He aimed his blaster in my direction and fired. I cursed the fact that I could wield the staff like a lightsaber, but there is no way the hardwood could deflect blasterbolts. I had no choice but to use a skill taught to me long ago by the Emperor. I slowed the blasterbolts slightly giving me enough time to roll out of the way. I probably could have halted them in midair, but that would be hard to explain. Eventually we disabled the attackers and moved to the exit before Skywalker skidded to a stop and looked around frantically. “Leia, I can’t sense Leia!”

I reached out with the Force and could feel Han Solo’s absolute panic, but I didn’t sense the Jedi’s sister.

“Oh no,” Skywalker moaned as he rushed out of the building. I stood in the room for a moment wondering if I should look for my commanding General, but decided to follow Skywalker.

We found a bloody and injured Solo outside screaming into a comlink for somebody to fire up the Falcon. When he noticed Skywalker he screamed over the commotion of the crowd. “Luke! They got her! They got Leia!”

8. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Too bad Mara/Litassa doesn't believe in the Will of the Force.

Oh oh oh did she walk into that one! I guess Luke is like his father in the fact he's bad at flirting with some woman; or perhaps he's bad with Mara because she doesn't want to flirt back with him.

It kinda sounds like Mara is feeling a little guilty about not sharing more information with Luke where the Inquisitors are concerned. She did note that it was possible that a powerful Force User was communicating with them via the Force to bypass conventional communication systems.

Really the two groups should be working together as far as the Inquisitors are concerned since they could prove to be a threat to both sides.

Of course there is the possibility that Mara is being played for a fool and her direct superiors want to know what the NR knows about their hidden operations and are using her to find out how much they know and to make sure the First Order isn't discovered until it's too late to stop them besides war.

The attack was a diversion.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    At least Luke didn't complain about how much he hates sand. :p

I haven't read any of the new Star Wars books, so I am not sure if any information has been released about the New Order or not. I just figure if I was a breakaway Moff I would consolidate as much power as possible before I asked the old Empire to join us. I think the Empire and NR are clueless about what is going on at this point in the Unknown Regions. If I was the leader of the New Order, once I ask the Empire to join us I would attempt to trick the NR into thinking they were going to stand by the treaty. The NR probably wants to keep the peace. Leia and her core group probably doesn't believe the New Order and they either break away from the NR and become the resistance or the Resistance and the NR might be in communication, but it must remain secret because the NR must maintain plausible deniability as to the activities of the resistance.

Thanks for reading. I am in the middle of college finals and I'm really pressed for time. I had to sit down and force myself to write something to stay in the DDC running.

Entry 47

I should have realized earlier that the attack in the ballroom was a diversion. The assailants could have lobbed thermal detonators into the room and killed everybody, but they instead crashed through the glass roof, shooting erratically and causing as much commotion possible. During the melee the princess was snatched.

“Who has Leia, Solo?” I asked as I scanned the streets for the missing princess.

The smuggler didn’t immediately answer, but started limping toward a landing field used by the various summit dignitaries. “Two Ithorians and a Dug snatched her while a very pissed off Fosh and an ugly looking Harch decided to pound me with their many fists.” Solo activated his comlink and yelled into it. “Chewie, be ready to go when I get there.”

“Go where, Han?” Luke asked.

Solo wiped blood out of his eyes from a nasty cut above his brow. “I saw the ship she was dragged aboard. It was a blue and white T-6 shuttle. Maybe we can intercept it before it gets to a hyperspace lane.”

When we arrived to Solo’s ship I stopped. Luke turned and looked at me expectantly. “Are you coming?”

I shook my head. “I can’t abandon my General.”

“Call him and get permission to come with us.” Skywalker insisted.

When I pulled out my comlink to do so, Solo yelled at me, “Get aboard and call him from orbit.”

“That sort of defeats the purpose of asking for permission,” I pointed out.

“Haven’t you ever heard of the saying, ‘It easier to get forgiven than get permission,” Solo yelled heatedly. “Come on, we’re wasting time.”

I was ready to turn around and return to the scene of the attack, but Skywalker grabbed my hand and began pulling me up the freighter’s ramp. I gave a halfhearted protest before accompanying the Jedi. If my superiors gave me any grief over this decision, I would remind them I was ordered to keep Skywalker under surveillance.

Once on the ship I was greeted by a large and very agitated Wookiee who made a series of animated grunts and growls before grabbing Solo around the waist and practically dragging the man to the cockpit.

“Get us in the air, Chewie!” I heard Solo order the hairy creature as Skywalker and I followed them down the corridor.

Before we reached the ship’s flight deck, Skywalker pulled me aside and pointed to transceiver in the crew section of the ship. “You can call your general from there. I’m going to make sure Han’s alright.” I gave a curt nod before settling down in the seat in front of the communication center.

It took a few minutes, but eventually General Iwanuk answered my comm and I explained the situation. I was surprised when the General Iwanuk ordered me to, 'Get those bastards. I don’t need the New Republic thinking the Empire is in anyway responsible for this attack.'

“Can the Naboo Planetary Defense Force put up a blockade to stop ships from leaving the planet?”

“No need, Moff Nagen’s fleet was a short jump away. During the attack he ordered them to cordon off the planet. Nobody will get through.”

That comment made me cringe. First there is an attack on the trade summit and then suddenly there is an Imperial fleet blockading the planet. Hopefully General Iwanuk and Moff Nagen can calm everybody’s nerves and reassure all involved that the Empire was not involved in this crisis.

“Can you talk to Moff Nagen and ask him not to fire on any outgoing ships. I know that at least one dignitary, Princess Leia Organa Solo, was abducted by the assailants. There could be more. The terrorists escaped with the princess aboard a blue and white T-6 shuttle.”

“Affirmative,” the general responded. “I’ll disseminate that information to all involved. We’ll find them.”

I cut communications and wandered up to the flight deck where Solo and the Wookiee were finishing up their pre-flight checks. The smuggler turned to me and threw a thumb in the direction of Skywalker who was sitting an uncomfortable looking navigation seat behind the copilot. “Take a seat next to Luke and hold on.”

I was barely seated before Solo’s ship jerked upwards and then shot off in what I thought would be an impossible amount of acceleration for a beat up old freighter. As I tightened down my crash webbing I heard a buzzing of my comlink in my side pocket. I pulled it out and answered. “Coley, here.”

“Lieutenant,” I heard my general’s voice. “A blue and white T-6 shuttle was spotted by Nagen’s fleet. It is about thirty-five kilometers west of the attack site. It looked like it is headed to the town of Wesnorli.”

“Thank you, sir.” I repeated the information to Solo who immediately put us into a stomach turning barrel roll followed by two totally unnecessary aileron rolls before we even out and headed west.

“The New Republic captured a couple of the terrorists and they are attempting to interrogate them for information,” the general continued. “I’m going to give them a few more minutes before I request to take over. I don’t think the New Republic has the intestinal fortitude to do what needs to be done.”

“Torture,” I heard Skywalker whisper under his breath. I gave him a sidelong glance and witnessed his look of disapproval.

He may not like the idea of torturing prisoners, but I am positive he dislikes the idea of his sister getting slaughtered by some lunatics even more. “Sir, would you like me to return and assist you?”

I heard the general chuckle. “That’s right, you’re too young to know my reputation. The Mandalorians had a nickname for me, Kyramud. I liked it so much that I kept it as my official code name.”

My grasp of the Mandalorian language was tentative, but I understood that word. “Assassin.” I swallowed a lump in my throat when I realized whom I was dealing with. The agent known by the code name Kyramud was Palpatine’s leading interrogator. He worked in the Imperial Security Bureau’s Interrogations Branch. “Your reputation is legendary, sir, and crosses all generational boundaries. I just didn’t know Kyramud and General Iwanuk were one-and-the-same.”

“Well, now you know. Don’t worry. I’ll get the terrorists talking…when the New Republic gives up interviewing the perpetrators, that is.”

“Yes, sir.”

The general signed off leaving me shaken. Agent Kyramud worked closely with Imperial Internal Affairs. If anybody knew about the existence of the Emperor’s Hand it would be that organization. I can only hope that the Emperor kept my true vocation a secret. Most people within the Imperial court thought I was one of the palace dancers. The Inquisitors sensed my power in the Force and assumed I was the Emperor’s personal Inquisitor and spy. Nobody truly knew the close association I had with Palpatine—that I was an extension of his will. Of course, if General Iwanuk did know, he’s known for at least a year. If he planned on doing something he would have done so already.

“Is something wrong?” Skywalker asked.

I turned to him and shook my head. “No, we’ll find your sister.” I looked down as my stained and bloodied formal uniform and frowned. “Do you have something for me to change into? An ankle length dress and shoes with three centimeter heels isn’t the best fighting outfit.”

The Jedi unbuckled his crash webbing and stood. “Sure, you look about my sister’s height and weight.” He turned to his brother-in-law. “Han, can I go into your cabin and grab one of Leia’s outfits for Litassa to wear?”

The smuggler didn’t look away from the viewport but simply nodded.

“Come on,” Skywalker muttered as I stood. “I’ll show you to their cabin.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Honestly I don't trust the new Canon where the books are concerned anyway. Both Tarkin and Lords of the Sith novels more or less said that Vader was known in both the Empire and to the rest of the galaxy five-eight years into reign of the Empre but fast forward S2 of SWR which takes place about fifteen/sixteen years into the existence of the Empire and no one outside of the Empire knows who Vader is.

Even though I do not condone torture some interrogation techniques do work better than others and some people won't talk without the threat of violence.

11. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    I haven't read those books or watched SWR, so I am not sure what is canon anymore. I could understand Rebels not knowing who Vader is if they don't survive their first meeting. I suspect that probably Imperials know about him if he is hitching rides on Star Destroyers. Of course, knowing about him and knowing who he is and where he came from are another thing.

Thanks for reading. I wrote a massive chapter but ended up cutting it into two parts.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Entry 48

It took me a while to find an outfit that fit me. It appears that most of the clothing stored in Solo’s ship consisted of Leia’s old maternity outfits. Eventually I found a pre-pregnancy tan jumpsuit to wear and a pair of boots that were only slightly tight. While I got dressed Skywalker was scrounging up a blaster for me to use. When I exited Solo’s cabin the Jedi tried to hand me two weapons—a blaster with holster and the Sith lightsaber he purchased a few weeks ago.

I shook my head when he tried to give me the Inquisitor’s weapon. “I can’t be seen using that. I’ll take the blaster and a vibroblade if you have one.”

He nodded. “Han should have one somewhere.” He set the lightsaber down an a nearby console before hitching up and tightening his own blaster belt snug on his hips and making sure his lightsaber was secure. “Any idea who or what we’re dealing with?”

“No,” I said softly. “But, I don’t think it’s whoever is in the unknown region. They seem to prefer humans…like the Empire. Could it be somebody within the New Republic? Perhaps somebody who has a disagreement with your sister or your government.”

Skywalker made a face. “There are a lot of people who despise our treaty with the Empire. Many people think this is a ploy by your government to make us complacent so you can regroup and then eventually destroy us.” He gazed at me quizzically, as if he wanted me to deny or confirm that belief.

I shrugged noncommittally as I buckled on my blaster. “Don’t look at me. For all I know both of our governments are using the treaty to regroup.”

“Hey, Litassa!” I heard Solo yell from the flight deck. “Did your people say where in Wesnorli we could find the T-6?”

I wandered into the cockpit and leaned over Solo’s chair and gazed out to the ground below. We were now circling a small city located in a lush green valley and surrounded by steep, snow-covered peaks.

“No, but I’ll see if there is more information.” I pulled my comlink out of my pocket and clicked it on. I had slaved it to the Falcon’s communications system earlier so I could contact my superiors over long distances. “General Iwanuk, this is Lieutenant Colay, are you there?”

There was a slight pause before the general answered. “I hear you Lieutenant. I assume you want to know where to find Princess Leia. Just give me a minute and I should have that information.”

What I heard next was a blood-curling scream. It was so horrifying that Solo, Skywalker and the Wookiee all turned to my direction wide-eyed.

“Give me a minute,” I said before I muted the volume on my comlink and walked to the back of the ship for some privacy. Skywalker tried to follow but I waved him off with a stern look. When I was alone I toggled up the volume and put the communications device to my ear. I could hear General Iwanuk asking for the location of the princess, but the only response I heard were screams and moans from the prisoner. Eventually there was a lull and the soft sobs of some poor creature. “Colay, are you there?”

“Yes sir.”

“It appears this is the work of some new upstart terrorist organization called the Alien Alliance League. It is an anti-human organization whose goal is to abduct human members of the current New Republic government and demand they be replaced with nonhuman members. If their demands are met they will release their prisoner. It appears they believe the current government is too human-centric. I am sending you the coordinates to what my prisoner identified as a safe house. There is a good possibility you will find the princess at that location.”

I looked down at my comlink as an address scrolled across the small readout on the side. “Thank you, sir.”

“No problem at all. It’s good to get back in practice.”

A shiver ran down my spine as I imagined him blood splattered and smiling while saying those words. “Thank you again, Sir. Colay, out.”

I tapped a button on my comlink and sent the information to Solo’s transmission link as I walked back to the flight deck. “Solo, I sent you a location where you wife might be located.”

The smuggler looked to his ship computer. “Got it.” he muttered before the ship jerked to the side and off in another direction.

I steadied myself before sitting down next to Skywalker. He looked troubled, but at the same time relieved.

As for me, I was just confused. I didn’t hear the prisoner respond to the general’s questioning. All I could make out were screams, but General Iwanuk inferred that he had just gained the information from the man. Perhaps the general had a map in front of the prisoner so he could point out the location. I wish I knew how he managed to get the terrorist to talk so quickly. I could ask him, but I doubt I would get an answer. From what I remember, the infamous agent Kyramud never revealed his interrogation techniques and any prisoner he questioned disappeared from the Imperial Security Bureau, never to be seen again. I heard a rumor that the re-education division would take these prisoners and, via pharmaceutical conditioning, brainwash them into serving the Empire. That was just a rumor though; I think it was more likely they went to an Imperial labor camp.

Whatever he did, it was quick and effective.

“Solo,” I said as I secured my crash webbing. “The prisoner gave my commander the location of the organization’s safe house. There hasn’t been a confirmed sighting of your wife at that location and we don’t know who or what is inside. So please don’t rush in with blasters blazing.”

“Don’t worry Lieutenant. I’m not going to do anything to endanger Leia. We’ll land nearby and recon the area before doing an entry and extraction.”

I was somewhat relieved to hear the smuggler talk like a man with military experience. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Solo was wearing military trousers with Corellian Blood Stripe piping down the sides. That was a distinction of heroism and valor.

As he looked for a landing zone I briefed my companions about the Alien Alliance League.

Solo huffed. “The New Republic has a hell of a lot more non-human representatives than the Empire. Why don’t they demand the same representation from your government?”

I chuckled. “Because they know we don’t negotiate with terrorists. Also, they probably realize that if we did negotiate we wouldn’t honor any agreement. We’d select non-humans to positions of power and when we get our prisoners back we would probably kill the alien representatives and then hunt down the terrorists and destroy their entire organization.” I glanced over to Skywalker. “Your government is kinder and gentler than the Empire and that works to your disadvantage.”

Skywalker ran a hand through his blond hair and sighed. “Luckily we have your intelligence bureau to torture information out of prisoners.”

I was about to make a scathing retort when Solo interrupted our conversation. “Luke, would you mind not irritating the woman who may have just saved Leia’s life.”

The Jedi looked away shamefaced as he blew out a breath. “Sorry. I should be grateful.” He turned toward me in his seat and handed me a vibroblade. “Here. It’s Chewie’s, so it has a little longer blade than most vibroblades.”

“Thanks.”

Solo pointed out of the cockpit viewport. “There! Chewie, set us down in that field.”

I glanced over to Skywalker who had a grim look of determination on his face. I reached over and grasped his hand in mine and gave it a squeeze. “Don’t worry. We’ll find her.”

He smiled sadly. “I know. Together we’ll find her.”

I gave the Jedi my best reassuring smile. I was confident we would discover her whereabouts…just hope that we found her alive.

12. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Ah they only survived their encounters with Vader for three reasons; one: he wanted them to lead him to a larger Rebel group (which they did), two: he Sensed Ahsoka was among the Rebels and decided to take prisoners to extract information about surviving Jedi and more Rebel Cells and three: his mask was damaged, focused on someone else and the way to the Rebels was blocked.

However, my point was those two books say/imply that Vader was known to the galaxy at large seeing that Cham Syndulla is aware of Vader to the point he knows it's virtual suicide to take him on without a plan (and even then it doesn't work) but when, theoretically, Kanan hears Vader's he doesn't panic and when he and Ezra cross blades with Vader all Kanan does when they narrowly escape is say 'that was a Sith Lord, ancient enemy of the Jedi, no idea who or what he is and we're not going to fight him again if we can help it.' And it takes about half the second season for them to correlate 'Lord Vader' with the Sith Lord that wiped out half our fleet single handedly and nearly killed us. No one suggested or stated that the description matched that of Lord Vader and that he's an Imperial of some kind; all Filoni tells us (in Rebels) Vader doesn't leave any survivors and, apparently, isn't widely known about which fits in with the Rebels narrative but doesn't fit with the books.

Could her superior be Force Sensitive? It would explain how he got an answer from the prisoner when all Mara heard was screaming and why the prisoners he interrogates vanish afterwards.

Of course he simply could be in on the plot but instead of hoping to disrupt anything it's to hopefully portray themselves in a good light; they helped rescue an important member of the New Republic who was once a former enemy of theirs.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks for reading Lady_Misty. I appreciate it. And thanks for the review.

Even though the year is at an end I will continue updating the story within this thread. I'm not going to do a 2017 DDC.

I just want to remind everybody that the voting for best Dear Diary Challenge fanfic of 2016 is now ongoing. If you liked this story you can vote for it by PMing the Diary_Challenge_Sock. Or vote for another story...just make sure to vote. Thanks!

14. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    Entry 49

We landed on the outskirts of the town and quickly made our way to the address given to me by General Iwanuk. We reconnoitered the safe house from a block away, peering around a corner building. I motioned toward the two-story structure that might hold the princess. “There is a guard on the roof. It looks like a Yuzzem carrying a T-21 light repeating blaster, possibly Imperial issue.”

The Wookiee made a barking sound. Solo nodded at his companion. “I see it Chewie.” He turned to Skywalker and me. “Chewie says there are security cams at the front of the building. It’s going to be hard to sneak up on them.”

I scrutinized the cameras for a minute. “I can temporarily blank them out with the Force.”

Skywalker’s brow went up when I said that. “You can?”

I nodded. “Remind me to teach you how sometime. Anyway, I can temporarily disable the cameras. It will just show up as static and probably won’t make them too suspicious if we move quickly. That leaves the sentry on the roof.” I pulled up the hood of a jacket I borrowed from Solo. It was baggy, but it hid my blaster and vibroblade. “I’m going to get a closer look.”

I went to step out from around the building, but Skywalker grabbed my elbow. “Wait, we’ll all go.”

I scoffed at the man’s naiveté. “You do realize you are the most recognizable man in the galaxy and Solo with his Wookiee sidekick really don’t blend in well. Don’t worry; I’m just going to get a look. Meanwhile, reach out with the Force and try to locate your sister. It will be a waste of time if we break in and she’s at another locale.”

Skywalker thankfully agreed. I casually sauntered down the sidewalk, occasionally stopping to look into store windows. I wasn’t window-shopping, but using the reflective properties of the transparasteel to visualize the safe house without actually looking directly at it. It was a Yuzzem on the roof…, which isn’t good. They are huge furry humanoids with thick muscles, long snouts and black eyes. It was rumored that they are distant relatives of Wookiees…taller and much more muscular relatives. They were often used as guards since they are almost impossible to subdue when it came to hand-to-hand. They were also immune to stunbolts and it would take at least two or three lethal blaster bolts to kill one of those creatures. They were the perfect sentries…unless you knew their weaknesses. There weren’t many, but I did know how to bring one of those monsters down.

There was a narrow alley separating the safe house from the adjacent building. If I could get on the roof of the other building I could easily make the jump between rooftops. Another option was to climb the wall. It looked a little too far apart to do a back-to-foot chimney climb, but I could easily do a full body wall climb (one foot and hand on each building wall and utilizing opposing forces to ascend). Also, with the use of the Force, I could easily do a modified corner wall run by leaping from wall to wall in an upward angle. I decided that is what I was going to do. I would blank the security cams, run up the wall, and take out the sentry. I would then contact Skywalker and assist in the extraction. I toggled my comlink. “Luke…is your sister inside?”

“Yes, she’s in the rear of the building.” I could hear the raw emotion in his voice. “She’s in pain.”

“Give me a minute. I’m going to take out the guard on the roof.” Before he could protest I deactivated my comlink. I waited until the sentry was looking away from my location before I sprinted across the street while blanking out the cameras. When I got to the alley I sprang up, planting a foot on one wall and pushing off toward the adjacent wall in an upward leap. I did the same when I touched the other side until I quietly landed on the rooftop. I don’t think the Yuzzem heard me, but his head jerked up as he sniffed the air. I silently chastised myself for forgetting the creature’s long snout gave them an incredible sense of smell. He continued to sniff the air before he began to turn in my direction. I couldn’t beat this alien in a fair fight; I knew I had to use the Force to defeat him. I threw out my hand, using the Force to freeze him in place, and quickly moved forward while activating my vibroblade. I could feel the Yuzzem struggle to move and it took every bit of Force strength to keep him in position long enough to move along side him and slide the oversized blade between his fourth and fifth rib, puncturing his heart. He tried to scream, but I paralyze his vocal cords along with his muscles. I never liked this Force skill. It seemed especially cruel to render a person completely vulnerable and unable to defend himself before killing them. If he could have been stunned, I would have done that, but he couldn’t and therefore I had limited options.

The Yuzzem coughed up blood and made a soft gasping sound as I slowly lowered him to the ground. When I was sure he was dead, I ran to the front of the building and gave Skywalker a wave before reactivating my comlink. “Took out the sentry. I’m going to neutralize the security cams now, so go!”

I used the Force to temporarily shut down the cameras as Luke, Solo and the Wookiee ran to the building. I climbed down from the roof as the rescue team entered the alley.

Luke pointed to the rear of the building. “I sense Leia back there, but most of the terrorists are in the front area.”

Solo pulled out his blaster as his sidekick cradled a crossbow type of blaster in his arms. “Chewie and I will enter through the back. You and Luke go to the front and cause a diversion.”

As Solo and the Wookiee ran to the rear of the building, I took a second to talk to the Jedi. “I say we blow the door open and you enter with your lightsaber since it can deflect blaster bolts. I will come in behind with my blaster.”

He nodded. “Sounds good.”

I once again blanked out the security cameras as we positioned ourselves at the front door.

“Push the door on three,” Skywalker whispered. “One, two, three.”

Skywalker and I projected such a strong Force shove that the entire door tore off its hinges and propelled itself into the interior with enough force to take out half the aliens inside. Skywalker activated his lightsaber illuminating the room in a green glow. I could see a Dug and Ranat raise their blasters and fire. Skywalker easily deflected the shots back to where they originated. The Dug screamed as a blaster bolt tore off half his shoulder. I aimed and stunned the short, rodent-like Ranat. He went down in a heap. I then stunned the Dug to stop his screaming.

Skywalker walked around the room ensuring it was clear before heading down the hall where we heard a Wookiee howling in anger. We entered a bedroom strewn with trash and an old, stained mattress on the floor. In the corner of the room was a mortally wounded Harch. The large spider-like creature was missing two of his eight limbs and was quickly bleeding out a pale blue hemolymph. Next to him, on the floor, was Princess Leia, unconscious and bloodied.

Solo was looking frantic as he cradled his wife in his arms. “If they were trying to negotiate, why hurt her?!”

I knelt down next to the couple. “Let me check on the wounds.” I lifted up the skirt of her dress and could see blood running down her legs, but I couldn’t find any obvious injuries. It looks like she was hemorrhaging. My gaze shot up to Solo. “Was Leia pregnant again?”

“What?” He looked completely confused by that statement before he closed his eyes and said in a broken voice, “She said she had a surprise for me. She was going to tell me after the summit.” He gazed at Luke and then me. “Can you tell? Was she pregnant?”

I put my hand on her belly and reached out with the Force. I couldn’t sense anything but the princess. If she was pregnant, that was no longer the case. “I don’t know,” I said truthfully.

I looked over to the Jedi who shook his head sadly. “I thought I sensed something different with my sister this morning. She was so happy, but she wouldn’t tell me what was going on. She said she had to tell Han first.”

Luke and I rose when we heard movement from the other room. I walked to the entrance and found the Dug trying to escape. Unfortunately for him, a Dug walks on his hands and therefore a damaged shoulder made movement excruciating slow and painful. I grabbed him by the front of his tunic, lifted him off the ground, and tossed him onto a nearby chair.

I noticed a few bystanders peaking in the doorframe where the door once was. I pointed my blaster at them and gestured for them to keep moving. As Luke came up behind me I could sense a whirlwind of dark emotion emanating from the Jedi. “They hurt my sister and killed her baby.”

I hate to admit it, but Skywalker was starting to scare me. That bright beacon of the Force had dimmed and darkness was rushing in. When his Force signature took on a hint of Vader, I knew he was losing control. I quickly positioned myself between him and the Dug as he activated his lightsaber. “Stop! Stop, Luke! This is not going to make things better.”

“He killed her baby!” The words came out in a sob.

I slowly reached out and grasped the hilt of his saber. “Luke, can’t you feel the darkside? You can’t kill a wounded sentient in cold blood. The only way you can do it is by drawing from the darkside of the Force. It isn’t in your nature to kill for revenge. You don’t want to become another Darth Vader.”

Tears rolled down his cheeks as he gave a sullen nod of his head. “You’re right. I can’t do it.” He deactivated his saber and let me take it from his hand.

I stepped back and blew out a sigh of relief. “I’m sorry about the baby.”

Before I could say more the Dug behind me chuckled merrily. “Good, the baby’s dead. It is one less human oppressor in this galaxy.”

That was probably the worse thing for the fool to say. I ignited Skywalker’s lightsaber and did a backhand swing that separated the Dug’s head from his shoulders. I then deactivated the weapon and handed it back to Skywalker. “You can’t do it without touching the darkside…but I can. I was the Emperor’s experiment…neither light or dark, but indifferent.” I pulled out my comlink and called for an air ambulance for our location.

Skywalker looked to the decapitated Dug on the floor and then back to me. He opened his mouth to say something but thought better of it and remained silent.

I shook my head. “Skywalker. You have idealized me. You want me to be your Jedi apprentice, but this…” I gestured to the deceased Dug. “This is what I was trained to do. I can’t be like you with some overachieving moral compass and dreams of becoming the guardian of justice and peace in the galaxy. It's not in my nature.”

He looked down and then back up to me. “You’re not evil Litassa.”

“I know that…but I’m not like you.” I placed a hand on his shoulder. “Luke, we’re not the same and we will always be on different sides of the war.”

"We're not at war," Skywalker pointed out.

"Not now. Even if the treaty holds, there will always be mistrust between our two governments."

He started to say something, but instead blew out a frustrated breath. "I'm going to check on my sister." He turned and moved down the hallway, leaving me standing next to a headless Dug and a stunned Ranat.

There was the wail of sirens as the ambulance arrived. I moved out of the way and allowed the medical personnel and local police to enter the scene. I guess the local authorities were apprised of the situation since I wasn’t cuffed and hauled off in a police speeder. I leaned against the wall and watched and waited. That’s all I could do for now.

15. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    That was . . . not what I was expecting.

I look forward to future updates.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    I hope that didn't disappoint Lady_Misty. Remember this fanfic is the prequel of my One-Shot fic Reunion. In that story Skywalker and Mara had a different relationship and not the standard love story. I can't have them falling into bed too quickly. They will, obviously, but it takes a while.

17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm sorry for dropping out of your DDC for so long Carlos Danger -- I was away from the boards for a while -- but I caught up last night and wow! It was a real pleasure reading this. I love how you have Luke and Mara/Litassa going through the two steps forward - one step back routine, and I can see how this is edging slowly but surely towards the scene we witnessed in Reunion. Great job on the secondary characters as well: Mara's boss and his wife (that scene was hilarious!), the smuggler team and, most importantly, Han! He and Mara are natural allies with that kind of snark :D

I'm very happy that you're continuing this in 2017, and I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this story next.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks Lady_Misty and Chyntuck for reading. I wrote out a long response, but then I pushed some button and everything disappeared. :oops: I can't bring myself to ramble on like I did earlier. I will just post my next entry.

Entry 50

The remainder of the day was interesting. The New Republic interviewed me first and then I debriefed General Iwanuk. The general conducted my debriefing in a small conference room in the Naboo palace, making sure he first swept the room for covert listening devices. Once satisfied we couldn’t be heard, he motioned for me to sit at the room’s conference table. He leaned back in his chair as he ran a hand over his closely cropped gray hair as he gazed at me with unflinching directness…which made me a bit nervous.

When we first met, I viewed him as a grandfatherly senior officer…a bureaucratic staff officer simply counting down to his days to retirement. Now I knew better. This was not a paper pushing desk-jockey; this was agent Kyramud—a legendary Imperial interrogator.

I debriefed the general giving him a skewed version of the truth. I said Skywalker assisted me greatly via the use of the Force. He blanked out the cameras, he helped me get to the roof, he assisted me in taking out the sentry, he blasted open the doors before deflecting blasterbolts with his lightsaber and decapitating the Dug. It grated on my nerves that he gets the glory, but I can’t risk my identity or abilities becoming known. I knew there was no way in the Galaxy that the general would believe I took out an armed Yuzzem with a vibroblade without help. The hand-to-hand combat course that my alias, Litassa Colay, attended during Imperial basic training was good, but not that good.

As he typed in some notes on his datapad, I allowed my gaze to shift from his steel gray eyes to his soot covered white dress uniform that surprisingly lacked any blood splatter. After hearing the screams of his prisoner I expected his uniform to be as red as an Imperial Guard’s. He glanced up from his datapad and noticed me staring at his clothing. He looked down at his uniform and frowned as he attempted to brush off some of the grime. “This uniform cost me eight hundred credits…damn aliens.” He put down his datapad and gave a good-natured grin. “Skywalker is a truly impressive Jedi. He levitated you to the roof before he subdued a Yuzzem with the Force allowing you to take out the alien quietly with a vibroblade. He then blasted open the door to the safe house and dispatch the terrorists singlehandedly.”

“I did stun the Ranat,” I pointed out though gritted teeth.

“Skywalker was luckily to have you there,” he said with more than a hint of teasing in his voice.

I shifted in my seat uncomfortable with the conversation. “I also helped take out the terrorists that dropped into the ballroom.”

The general’s smile widened. “I saw that. I was able to review the ballroom’s security vids. I was impressed with your fighting abilities and that holovid feed greatly eased the New Republic’s suspicions. I’m sure some people were disappointed that they couldn’t find a way to blame the evil Empire for the situation, but it was clearly the work of non-human agitators.”

He leaned forward in his chair. “I watched how you and Skywalker interact. He is clearly interested in you for some reason.” He looked me up and down and barely suppressed a smirk. “Of course it might simply be raging Jedi hormones, but I suspect he has something else in mind when it comes to you.”

I tried to look nonplussed by the conversation. “Do you think he is trying to get Intelligence information out of me?”

“Possibly, but our research on the man indicates he doesn’t have a background in intelligence.”

I coughed trying to hide a laugh. “True, he doesn’t seem too bright.”

He chuckled at the comment. “But you have an intelligence background, albeit you’re not one of our most experienced agents, but you are obviously one of the most competent.” He put his hands on the table in front of him and interlaced his fingers. “Lieutenant Colay, would you like to be assigned to the New Republic's Capital on Chandrila as an emissary for the Empire? I want to keep an eye on the New Republic and you appear to have a connection to the NR leadership via Skywalker. It would require us cutting you out of intelligence briefings during the interim. Just as a precaution. He is a Jedi and he might know how to drag information out of your mind using the Force. We don’t want him using his skills on you and gaining vital intelligence.”

I blinked at the general a few times. That wasn’t a skill known to me. The Emperor could pop into my head, but I never seen him or Vader interrogate anybody in that manner. “I didn’t know that was possible.”

General Iwanuk smiled slightly. “It is an uncommon Force skill, but very possible.”

I thought about the prisoner he interrogated so thoroughly and my eyes widened in thought. “Sir, are you an Inquisitor?”

He laughed with a shake of his head. “No, an inquisitor has to be strong in all aspects of the Force and that’s not me. The Moffs may have disbanded the Inquisitorius, but throughout the Empire there remains countless members of the military who possess either weak Force abilities or, in my case, a strong Force talent in an extremely narrow spectrum. I have the gift of interrogation and only that.” He smiled slightly. “No spoon bending for me.”

I blew out a nervous breath. “Why are you telling me this?”

“Like I said, I want you to keep an eye on the New Republic…but I don’t need the Jedi probing your brain. I am going to teach you a defense to that technique. A way to guard your thoughts.”

I was nervous over what the instruction entailed. It was a skill I wanted to learn, but could the General see my thoughts during the training? What if he discovered my secrets?

“You seem nervous,” he pointed out with a frown.

“No, I just don’t think I have any Force abilities,” I lied hoping the man didn’t pull the truth out of me.

He nodded in understanding. “One doesn’t need to be a Force-sensitive. Obviously, the technique is much more effective if you do have Force-abilities, but I have taught agents who possess no such capabilities. It is a meditative technique that makes people a less weak-minded.” He looked at me expectantly. “What do you say?”

I was anxious as to what the general could glean from my mind while training, but if I refused he might get suspicious and pull the information out of my head anyway. “Yes, I would like to learn that particular skill.”

Entry 51

The general and I have been on Naboo for four days. The summit was relocated to a highly guarded and secure military base about fifty kilometers north of Theed. During our down time General Iwanuk taught me how to protect my thoughts. He said I was a natural and that perhaps I actually had some weak Force potential. During the training, I did everything in my power to dampen down and hide my Force signature, obviously I was successful.

When he was comfortable with my progress he told me to, ‘Run along and socialize with the summit guests’, like a grandfather sending a child out to play.

I haven’t seen Skywalker for days. I wasn’t actively avoiding him, he just wasn’t around. I was told he was at the hospital visiting the Princess. Perhaps it is time for me to visit his sister.

Entry 52

I was denied permission to visit Leia Organa Solo at the hospital, which really wasn’t a surprise; after all, she was just kidnapped by terrorists. I requested that the family be told I was in the lobby and ten minutes later I was added to the list of approved visitors.

When I entered the Princess’ room I was greeted enthusiastically by Solo and his Wookiee copilot. Solo put a hand on my shoulder and guided me to his wife’s bedside. “Leia, you remember Litassa.”

Leia managed a weak smile. She was lying in an adjustable bed with an IV in her arm. She had a few visible bruises, but otherwise she looked well. “I want to thank you for all your help.”

“You’re welcome.” I looked around for Skywalker, but he was not around. “Where’s Luke?”

Solo patted his stomach. “He’s getting something to eat. The staff feeds patients, not visitors.”

I nodded then turned my attention to Leia. “I’m sorry about…I mean…did you…were you…”

“Pregnant,” the Princess offered. “I was, but no longer.”

“I’m sorry.”

She nodded sadly. “At least we have Ben. Han and I wanted him to have a sibling. Luke and I were raised as only children. Since I found out I had a brother I fantasized about what it would have been like to grow up together. I wanted Ben to have what we never had.” She sighed deeply. “But I guess that’s not to be.”

“You are still young.”

She shook her head. “No, I realized any child of mine will be a target. I can’t bring another baby into this world to be kidnapped by crazed terrorists or worse.” She fell silent for a long pause.

“Litassa.” I heard my name called out and found Skywalker at the door holding a tray of cafeteria food. He stood for a moment looking flustered before he entered and placed the tray on a small bedside table. “I didn’t know you would be here. Let me go get you something.”

“No, that’s okay,” I protested but the Jedi was gone. I turned to Solo. “What’s with him?”

He gave me a shrug of his shoulder. “I think he’s upset over what happened at the safe house.”

“Oh,” I said softly. I thought my actions might bother the Jedi, but not to the point of avoiding me. “I guess I shouldn’t have killed the Dug…but.” I paused in thought. “Well, in my opinion, some people deserve a good killing.”

The Wookiee made a barking laugh at the comment. I wasn’t surprised that an alien capable of pulling the arms off another sentient would see my actions as justified.

“He’s not upset with you,” Leia said from her bed. “He’s upset with himself. He almost lost control. If you weren’t there…he’s not sure what would have happened.”

“He was upset…and understandably so. To be honest, I was a little surprised. He's usually so calm.”

Han motioned towards his wife. “He’s protective of Leia. Vader once threatened to turn Leia to goad him into turning to the darkside…it almost worked.”

I glanced toward the exit. “Should I leave?”

Solo shook his head. “No. I think he needs to talk to you. If anybody understands what he is going through it would be you.” He blushed slightly. “No offense, not that I think you are…you know…darkside…but you understand the Force.”

I chuckled. “No offense taken.” I paused in thought. “When he’s ready, I’ll talk to him.”

“Thank you.” Leia said with a smile before lapsing into silence. We all stood around the room, shuffling our feet and waiting for Skywalker to return, not wanting to eat without him. The Wookiee kept looking at the food and making a plaintive mewing sound. “Oh for love of…” Leia motioned toward the food. “Eat you two. Chewie’s stomach rumbling is deafening.”

She didn’t have to tell the Wookiee twice, he grabbed up most of the food Skywalker brought earlier. Solo picked up a sandwich and a glass of blue milk. He sniffed the liquid and made a face. “Why does the kid always get me blue milk? I wanted ale.”

Leia made an amused snort. “I doubt the hospital commissary sells liquor.”

Han gave an incredulous expression. “They should. Hospitals are depressing. A tavern would cheer up the place.” He motioned toward the glass. “Do you want it, Litassa?”

I shook my head. “”No thanks. I heard it comes from Banthas, but not from their mammary glands.”

“That’s not true,” a voice called out from behind me. I turned to find Skywalker entering with another tray of food. “That particular disturbing rumor was spread by the Nerf Milk Commission. I should know, I’ve milked Bantha’s before.”

“Are you sure you were hanging on to a teet?” Solo joked.

“And that you were milking a female,” I added with a grin.

“Ha, Ha,” the Jedi said sarcastically. He put the tray down before handing me a cellophane wrapped sandwich and a bottle of fizz. He turned to the other tray and frowned when he realized his meal was apparently consumed by a hungry Wookiee.

I tore my sandwich in half and handed it to him. “Here. I’m not that hungry.”

He gave me a soft smile. “Thank you.”

“Hey,” Solo said with his mouth full of food. “Why don’t you two kids go catch up? You can use the Falcon. Chewie and I are going to stick around here.”

“And by ‘here’ he means the pub down the street,” Leia pointed out with a roll of her eyes.

Solo waved us off. “She’s joking. Go on. She’s going to be discharged today. We’re going to get a room near the new summit location.”

My jaw dropped. “You’re going back to the summit?”

Leia sighed. “I need to quell rumors about my health and show terroristic organizations that they can’t stop the political process.”

I suppressed a derisive snicker. A couple years ago it was the princess leading a terroristic organization. I finished my half sandwich and washed it down with the drink Skywalker bought me. “I guess I should go. I just wanted to check up on everybody.”

Skywalker moved to block the door. “Don’t leave. Let’s go back to the Falcon and talk.”

I couldn’t say no after I promised the Solos I would talk to the man. “Sure.” I said my goodbyes to the Solos and their Wookiee friend and left the hospital with a smiling Jedi.

19. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    By the way, if you haven't voted for your favorite Dear Diary Challenge story you have about two hours to do so. Just PM the Diary_Challenge_Sock and vote!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    It makes sense to me that Sidious would have had specially trained Force Users besides the Inquisitors that could pass beneath the radar of others.

Leia's spoken logic for not adding to her family seems shaky until you consider that she knows about Snoke and that he is reaching out to Ben through the Force her reasoning isn't as shaky.

Looks like Mara will be spending some more time with Luke in the near future.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I like this. Mara Jade is quickly joining the ranks of my favorite Star Wars characters, even though I know very little about her. Maybe it's because she's so in touch with the Snark Side of the Force. [face_laugh]

I like Mara's boss too. He comes across as a nice guy who just happens to be on the wrong side.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. Carlos Danger

Jul 25, 2013
    I haven't read the books, so I am not sure when Snoke started to influence Ben. Luke really wants to be with Mara/Litassa, but I think she is wary of personal entanglements.
    Mara is one of my favorite EU characters. The only thing bad about her character is the various authors write her so differently. I remember one book where Leia completely distrusted Mara. I have a feeling that the writer never read a SW book prior. Mara saved Leia, her brother, her twins and, after she broke free of The Last Command, I don't think she ever did anything to make anybody believe she was untrustworthy. It was bad writing in my opinion. If you want to read books with Mara read Tim Zahn's books. Mara is his creation.

Thanks everybody for reading.

Entry 53

“We were so busy answering questions after the police arrived at the safe house I didn’t get a chance to thank you.” Skywalker lowered the boarding ramp of the Millennium Falcon and motioned me to go ahead of him.

“I’m glad to help. Although we were on the opposite sides in the war, I always admired your sister. She was elected Senator as a teenager; she fought in the Rebellion and put her life on the line. It’s not what anybody expected from a young, pampered Princess.” I looked over to the Jedi. “I have to admit, you are nothing like what I expected either.”

His brow went up. “How so?”

I laughed. “I thought you would be a dimwitted, rimworld rube, turned egotistical Rebel pilot and hero.”

He laughed. “So you were surprised by my unpretentiousness…especially when it came to my good looks and charm?”

That gave me a chuckle. “Yeah, that must be it.”

He smiled broadly as he took a seat behind a hologame table and gestured for me to join him. “When are you leaving?”

“After the summit. You?”

“Same.”

“Are you going to Chandrila?”

He shrugged. “Maybe. That is going to be the capital of the New Republic for a while, or that's what I heard.” He gave me a sidelong glance. “I would still like to train together.”

I opened my mouth to say something but he kept talking, it was like if he didn’t get the words out they may never come. “Litassa, you were right about me. I’m half trained and that makes me dangerous. But you,” he pointed to me. “You’re fully trained. You can teach me how to avoid the darkside. You know how to do it. You could teach me.”

“I…ah,” was all I got out before he interrupted me again.

“Hear me out.” He drew in a deep cleansing breath. “I know you said I am nothing like my father, but I think I could easily cross that line if something like what happened to Leia happened again. I could become dangerous…and I think you are the only person who can stop that from happening.”

“I think you vastly underestimate your power in the Force.” I looked away. “To be honest. I don’t think I could have stopped you if you insisted in killing that Dug. You were drawing on the darkside and I could feel your power bristling with hate. When you are in that state of mind, I don’t think I could have stopped you.”

“Maybe not physically, but you talked me down. You reasoned with me. You bring out the best in me. I need you.”

I knew my superiors wanted me to go with Skywalker, to watch him, to spy on his family and organization, but I didn’t want to lie to the man. It pains me to admit, but I have started to like the Jedi. I felt a connection to him…even if it was only through the Force. “Skywalker…”

“Luke.”

“What?”

He gave me a sad smile. “Please call me Luke…like you did in the safe house.”

“Okay, Luke. About staying with you and training…I don’t think it’s a good idea. You have to realize my job is in Imperial Intelligence. Anything you or your family says or does in front of me can be reported to the Empire. I am a loyal Imperial. I am not going to defect or become a double agent for anybody. I am a spy. I spy. That is what I do. It will be dangerous for your government to have me around…especially if the treaty fails.”

He shrugged. “My government and family know that. We plan on feeding your government disinformation through you.” His eyes sparkled mischievously and the corner of his lips curled up slightly. “It’s all part of my deviously sinister master plan of intrigue and deception that I have disguised as an pathetic and desperate plea for your company.”

I bit my bottom lip to keep from laughing. “I’ll have to think about it. I know I could get permission to go to Chandrila, but it might hurt my career.”

“How so?”

“I will be cut off from Imperial intel while I’m gone.”

He looked at me for a long moment before he grinned slightly. “That sounds like you have already presented this option to your superiors.”

I averted my eyes. “Not exactly…they initiated the conversation.”

He was momentarily taken aback. “The Empire is really that serious about spying on me?”

I nodded.

He looked down at the gaming table, running his finger over the patterns of the board. “What did you tell them?”

I shrugged. “I told them I would think about it.”

He gave an understanding nod. “I wish you would come to Chandrila. I truly believe the treaty will hold…that we will remain allies.”

I scoffed. “If you really believe we will remain on the same side…then come with me and join the Empire. Why does it have to be me that has to uproot and follow you?”

He opened his mouth to say something but quickly closed his mouth reconsidering his words. He blew out a heavy sigh. “Can we at least train together while you’re here? I would like to learn how you blanked out those security holovids.”

“Sure, do you have a vid recorder?”

He stood while gazing around the ship. “I think Han has one he uses to keep an eye on the Falcon while he’s away.”

He went down the corridor and rummaged around on the flight deck before coming back with a small holovid recorder and a datapad. “It is wireless. I know the code to patch in the feed to my datapad.” He set the camera down on the gaming board focusing the lens on me. He then sat down next to me with datapad in hand. “Okay, how do I do it?”

“Wireless holovid recorders can be disrupted by projecting a blast of Force energy to disrupt the signal. If the cameras are hardwired it is a little harder to do, but it is possible by focusing on the holovid’s lens. A blast of Force energy hitting the lens can trick the camera into thinking a bright light is shining right onto the photo sensors. The recorder will compensate by dampening the electronic signal going to the memory card. The end result is a blackened image instead of the static you would get with the wireless system.”

He looked at me blankly. “Can you show me?”

“Okay.” I focused on the camera and concentrated, imagining a blanket of Force energy surrounding the holovid and disrupting communications. The image on the datapad became skewed before turning to static. I turned to the Jedi. “It feels a little like when you do a Force shove, but instead of pushing the camera you are pushing...disrupting the signal.” I blew out a frustrated breath. “I can’t really explain it. You just have to practice and know that it can be done.”

“Okay.” He closed his eyes and stretched out a hand. I immediately put my hand on his arm and pushed it down. He looked to me confused. “What?”

“You don’t have to hold out your arm to do it.” I shook my head and made a sound of disgust. “You look like Vader when he was Force choking someone.” I pointed to my temple. “You control the Force with your mind. If you are a spy on the street and you are looking right at the camera with arm extended the security operator will know you are up to something.”

“That makes sense.” The Jedi looked at the datapad his face scrunched up in concentration. It took a few tries, but eventually I saw some static before the camera went blank. He smiled widely. “I did it.”

He put down the datapad and sat back giving me a sidelong glance. “If you are so unsure about peace among our governments…why do you teach me anything?”

I shrugged one shoulder. “I don’t know.”

He stared straight at me questioningly. “You don’t think I am influencing you in some way…like when we kissed, do you?”

I blew out a frustrated breath. The last thing I wanted to discuss was that kiss. I folded my arms across my chest and glared at him. “I told you to forget about that.”

“Can you at least tell me if you are still concerned about me influencing you in some way.”

I shook my head. “No, not anymore. I practiced shielding since that day. You wouldn't get the same result if you tried.”

He sighed and sat back in his chair. “I guess I’ll have to take your word for it, because that is one experiment I don’t want to risk trying again.”

I gave him a hard look. “It wouldn’t be a risk. I am confident you won’t be able to influence me in anyway.”

He put out his hands in a gesture of surrender. “I believe you.”

I bristled with irritation because I could sense that he didn’t believe me. “You think you can make me do it again, don’t you?”

He looked away sheepishly. “You did say I was strong in the Force.”

“Well, so am I,” I shot back. “And, as you pointed out, I am fully trained…you just surprised me the last time. My guard was down. It won’t happen again.” I turned to him fully. “Go ahead, try.”

He laughed while shaking his head adamantly. “Oh no. My sense of self preservation prohibits me from going down that road.”

Now I was pissed. I gave his shoulder a soft nudge. “Come on, do it.”

He grinned widely before turning to face me. “If I do this, don’t get violent if we get the same results.”

“I didn’t kill you last time...and you won't succeed this time.” I gave a ‘come-on’ gesture with my hand. “Do it.”

He took in a deep breath and blew it out. “Okay, you asked for it.” He gazed deeply into my eyes and said, “Kiss me.”

I have to admit I was relieved when I didn’t even flinch. The Jedi’s smile faded and was replaced with a look of disappointment. He leaned in closer and gave me what I assume he considered a ‘come hither’ expression before repeating what he said in a deeper and more sultry voice. “Kiss me.”

I bit down on my lower lip to keep from laughing but I failed to contain my amusement. “Was that your attempt at seduction?”

He looked a bit crestfallen before he squared his shoulders and tried again with a smirk. “Come on, you know you want me.” He held up an arm and flexed his biceps. “I don’t know how you can resist. I’m a Jedi and I was an X-Wing pilot…Rogue Leader, in fact. All the ladies love a Rogue.”

I laughed out loud. “You are terrible at romance.”

He moved his arms up and down an rhythmic motion. “Maybe if I dance for you.”

I shook my head. “Please don’t.”

He was about to say something else when his datapad beeped. He gazed at me apologetically. “Sorry, I have a text from Han.” As he read the message his face flushed red before he closed his eyes.

“What did he say?” I was worried that his sister might have taken a turn for the worse. Skywalker didn’t answer but instead handed me the datapad while he turned the camera to face away from us.

I looked down at the device and read the message.

“Luke, before things get out of hand, I have to remind you that my security holovids transmit to my datapad. By the way, you may be lousy at seduction, but your efforts really cheered up Leia. This is the first time I have seen her laugh and smile since the attack.”

I glanced back up to the Jedi who looked like he was going to die of embarrassment. “I think Han is getting back at us for that ‘I’m a pretty Hoojib’ stunt.”

He turned away in humiliation. “Sorry about that. I forgot he could see us.”

I looked to the camera that was now facing in the other direction. “He can’t see us now.” I then leaned in and kissed Skywalker on the cheek. When I pulled back he looked at me questioningly. “I did that because I wanted to, not because of any influence you have over me.”

His datapad beeped again. I opened the message and laughed before showing the Jedi the text from his brother-in-law.

‘Luke, I can still hear you. What did she do? Leia is dying to know.’

The Jedi made a frustrated noise before turning off the camera. I decided this was enough fun for one day. I rose out of my seat and headed for the exit. The Jedi followed me grabbing my hand in his, halting my escape. “Can I see you again before the end of the summit?”

I smiled with a nod. “Sure, we can have lunch…or something.”

A wide smile blossomed across his face. “Something sounds good.”

As I left the ship I once again wondered if the Jedi was influencing me through the Force...or was I actually falling for the man.

Chyntuck, AzureAngel2 and RX_Sith like this.
  23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    You're falling for him, Mara. You're totally falling for him.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Agree that Mara is definitely falling for Luke despite trying not to.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  25. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Nothing like an unwanted audience.

She's slowly falling for him but what will she do once she realizes that she is?

AzureAngel2 likes this.