main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Journal of Zavra Phelar, Jedi Padawan - COMPLETED 2/13

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ViariSkywalker , Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I can't believe how lax I have been! I never even replied to your last comments! *smacks self in forehead*

CrystalKenobi - I like how you link anakin and the mission to ansion. Gives a since place and time to the story.

--I was hoping to give the story a sense of impending doom, since the events of AOTC are very close. After that...well, we all know what will eventually happen. ;)

Jane - This whole section reminds me eerily of Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning, how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

--It's funny you should mention that. I have read that verse several times, and it probably subconsciously affected me as I wrote the passage in the story. (Not that I am saying Anakin is exactly like Lucifer...I mean, Anakin returns to the light, and I don't think we can say the same for Lucifer. 8-} ) I guess I wanted the prophecies to have a Biblical, holy book type feel to them.

I wonder, though, about this feeling of familiarity that Zavra has, and how he wonders if Master Shartasi Mastiff had the same feelings. It can't be familiarity, because it hasn't happened yet, so it must be a sense of what's going to happen, and therefore Master Mastiff could have had that feeling as well, though it's quite possible that the feeling is intensified for Zavra because the events are so much closer to him and his time.

--I love reading your responses! [face_laugh] You don't miss anything, do you?

With all the studying of the prophecies that Zavra is doing, will he be able to see what's happening around him and see the prophecy coming to life? Or will it take him by surprise? What if he realizes that it's actually Anakin before everything is fulfilled? Would he try to prevent the rest from happening? Can't help but wonder!

--All good questions! All left to be seen! [face_mischief]

Mina - Poor Zavra. People with vivid imaginations don't always get to imagine good things. I can sympathize, a little bit, with the intensity of what he's feeling. How will it continue to affect him, I wonder?

--We shall see... [face_devil]

And now for a new post! I never planned for this to be a long tale, which is probably why I let myself bury it under the rest of my writing. But I have never forgotten any fic so far, and I refuse to start now. Here is the next entry in The Journal of Zavra Phelar, Jedi Padawan...

Entry Four

?Three thousand years ago, Master Shartasi Mastiff began recording the visions she experienced. The High Council recognized her rare sensitivity to these prophetic visions after one of the events she predicted came to pass, and from then on she was known as a Jedi prophet. I believe that the Force worked through Master Shartasi for a purpose, though that purpose is still unclear to me. She was a revered Jedi, and the Council seemed to regard her with favor. However, her later prophecies are so drastically different from the others I have come across that I believe more study is needed before anyone can conclude what the meanings are. I fear that the job of deciphering these texts must be left to a future generation, when similar visions appear to another trusted Jedi.? ? Jedi Master Jaga Vexani, in the Prologue of his Collection

Book XVII

10:1-6

There was a time when he knew laughter, before the darkness whispered in his ear and drew him away. The sunlight came to him when called, and it sparkled in his eyes. He knew laughter, and he knew warmth.

But there were those who could not allow these memories to endure. Gentleness was crushed by oppression. Love was swallowed by hate. He stood by and did nothing. He watched the old world vanish in flame and chaos, and he felt not even the faintest glimmer of remorse.

Cries rang out from the shadows, but he turned away, ignoring their plight. He refused to recognize their faces, even though they surely recognized his. And he bowed before the oppressor of

2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Next post!

Entry Five

?In all my years as Keeper of the Archives, I have never come across a set of recorded prophecies as revolutionary as those given by Master Shartasi. Most prophets have visions concerning events in the very near future; but it has been three millennia since Shartasi lived, and nothing even resembling these prophecies has occurred. It is possible that they are only a metaphor ? a complex figure of speech. But what if they are not?? ? Jedi Master Jaga Vexani, in the Prologue of his Collection

Book XVIII

2:21-27

There remain those who have hope in this dismal time. They cling to the promises of old, waiting for their savior to come. They are told again and again that he is not coming, and so the faithless run while the hopeful stay and die. It is not their savior who comes to them, but their destroyer.

He crushes their heads in, showing no mercy, even to the ones who plead on their knees. ?Renounce your leaders,? he roars, ?and I will spare you.? Only the scum of the world will betray their allegiances to lick his boots.

The search seems unending, and he never tires in his quest to purge them from all existence. Dusk comes earlier with each passing day, bringing with it darkness and despair unmatched by any save that which announces the son?s arrival. Even the most hopeful lose faith. Twilight is upon them, and now night must fall?

Chilling. Absolutely chilling. I have read some of the tales in this volume that were written by other Jedi, and none of them come close to matching the complexity I have observed in Master Shartasi?s prophecies. Either she was a brilliant spinner of fiction, or this is the will of the Force working through a mortal being. I hesitate to believe that she would record such a massive amount of falsehoods, especially since she was a Jedi Master. But what of Master Vexani?s words? He said that most of the prophets predicted things that happened soon after the visions were received. If that is true ? and I believe it to be so ? then what about Books XVI-XIX? How are they important? How are they prophecies? What was Master Shartasi Mastiff trying to say, and why didn?t she just say it outright? Did she even know?

I tried to take a break from this after my last entry, but the pull of my curiosity was too strong. I did practice with Tek and also with Master Rook. She commended me on dividing my time between my studies and my physical training. I wonder if she knew I had neglected the physical aspect until this afternoon. She is a clever person, my master. Always picking up on the little things that I often miss. Not unlike Anakin. (Who is still on Ansion with Master Kenobi, as far as I know.)

I suppose I should record my master?s full name, so as not to confuse anyone should my journal someday become part of the archives?a secret and selfish wish of mine. Her name is Rookaja Sivren, but she prefers to be called Rook. She is the closest thing I have to a mother, and she is in my opinion one of the brightest Knights in the Order.

Now I think I will continue to peruse this section of prophecies. I can handle it. I won?t let it affect me more than it already has.

*hopes her readers will come back* 8-}

3. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Entry Six

I had another dream last night. Only this time it wasn?t a dream ? it was a nightmare.

I was sitting in the archives, just as I have been these past several days, when suddenly the room began to shake violently. I narrowly avoided being struck by large stones falling from the ceiling. I fled the room, only to be met by a wall of fire rising up to engulf the tallest temple spire. Off to my right I spotted a group of younglings cowering behind a statue of the long-dead Master Cavrus Isren. They watched in terror as the temple collapsed around them. I ran to them, thinking that maybe I could somehow help. I didn?t even sense the attacker until he was inches away.

He flew down on me like a crazed mynock, and I only barely blocked his lightsaber with my own blade. I stumbled backward from the force of his attack, and I briefly wondered why I hadn?t spent more time training and practicing lightsaber technique. This man ? somehow I knew he was a man even though his face was shrouded ? was much faster than anyone I had ever faced, even my own master. He pressed his obvious advantage, unleashing a fury of powerful offensive strikes. With one liquid motion he disarmed me and kicked me in the chest, sending me flying into a wall.

He stood over me, laughing insanely. My skin prickled at the sound of his icy voice. ?Just like old times, friend,? he leered. He pulled back the mask that covered his face, and?this is the worst part?it was Anakin staring back at me. I watched in horror as he reached out his hand and yanked me up off of the ground. Beyond him I could see Rook?s body lying limp on the ground. She had been impaled through the abdomen with a lightsaber. I struggled to break myself from his grip, but he only smiled and held on tighter. Above me the sky turned crimson, like the blood trickling down the back of my head where I had struck the wall. Around me the children screamed, and I could do nothing. Anakin put the mask back on and held his red saber over me, preparing to strike. I woke up.

I know now that it is this nonsense with the prophecies that has caused my subconscious to conjure up such horrendous images while I sleep. I had thought myself to be in control, but clearly I was wrong. I will never immerse myself in the old texts again. Such obsession brings only disorder, a condition unfit for a Jedi. I don?t want to dream of my friends as murderers.

[face_devil]

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    !!! Viari, you don't need to be adopted! This is great, and you have managed to give Zavra a lot of depth without us knowing very much about him as an individual.

I can empathize with Zavra; on the rare occasions when I dream about Jedi Knights, it's ALWAYS during the Purge. :( I don't see how any of us will get through Ep III. :_|

5. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Thanks for the compliments, Mistress_Renata! They are greatly appreciated!

However, I was looking for someone to adopt, not to be adopted by someone. [face_laugh] I didn't make it clear I guess. [face_blush]

But I really liked seeing that someone else read my newer posts. ;) And I'm glad you liked Zavra. It's my first time writing SW in first-person. I hope you'll stick around for the ending. I only have a few more posts left, if my plot bunny doesn't decide to produce offspring for me to deal with. 8-}

I don't see how any of us will get through Ep III.

Me neither! :_|

6. Lord_Acleisst

Lord_Acleisst Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2004
    You need to update girl!!! I need MORE!! *JUMPS UP AND DOWN* MORE!!!! *WHINES AND CRIES AND THROWS A TEMPER TANTRUM*

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Lord_Acleisst

Jan 20, 2004
    *GASPS*

can't....breath....I...

8. Jedi_Trevor_GulDan

Jedi_Trevor_GulDan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2003
    Very very awesome! Stupendeous work. I'd never thought of that angle for a story. I applaud your efforts, and I hope to see more soon!!

9. Zane-Marit

Zane-Marit Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    WOW...Not sure what to say or even where to start, but I'm going to try singing the praise. This is the BEST anything I have read on this site. I have not one single idea or opinion on what needs to be improved upon. This format and your writing style are pefect. I would pay to read this. PERIOD!

This is a perfect example of what I would wish for my work to look like. (Maybe, someday it will...:) )

I have nothing but kudos for you...take a bow and bask in the adulation of the multitudes...

10. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    My goodness! Three more readers in two days! That must be some kind of record. [face_shocked]

Lord_Acleisst - Lucky for you I have a new post! :D

Jedi_Trevor_GulDan - Thank you very much! I thought this might be an interesting approach to do, and I had never written SW fanfic in first person P.O.V. before...I thought a challenge might be good for me. ;)

Zane-Marit - This is the BEST anything I have read on this site. I have not one single idea or opinion on what needs to be improved upon. This format and your writing style are pefect. I would pay to read this. PERIOD!

[face_blush] I don't know what to say. *turns a deep shade of pink*

This is a perfect example of what I would wish for my work to look like. (Maybe, someday it will...:) )

--I can't believe I am on the receiving end of such a wonderful compliment! Do you know how often I have said such a thing to many of the brilliant writers I have met on these boards? Again, I am speechless. [face_blush]

Well folks, after nearly a month of nothing, I am pleased to announce that this story is FINISHED! There are three posts left to go, so let me give you the schedule:

Entry Seven - Today! (Wednesday, 2/11)
    Entry Eight - Friday, 2/13
    Final Entry - Sunday, 2/15

Here's the post!

Entry Seven

?It is possible that these texts will be forgotten once more after I am dead. Perhaps our scions will never have a chance to put the pieces together and discover the missing links. I pray that this will not be the case, but I recognize the inevitability of that loss. Still, it remains my greatest hope that someday another prophet will confirm the more revolutionary prophecies and shed some new light on their meanings.? ? Jedi Master Jaga Vexani, in the Epilogue of his Collection

I had not been in the archives for many weeks until today. This morning I experienced a strong sensation through the Force which I could not ignore. It directed me to return to my fledgling work with the prophecies. The following passage I discovered only fifteen minutes ago:

Book XIX

1:10-17

And I stared up at the sky, and its color did deepen until it seemed the clouds were soaked in blood. Smoke billowed up toward the heavens, circling the stained sky. The cries of horror pierced my soul, but there was nothing to be done. The flames swelled, and the children screamed. Everywhere chaos overtook us; the great temple crumbled around us, the stones crashing with such force as to shake the planet.

Oh Force! Why have you abandoned us? Why have you left us to die? What sin have we committed to have the balance so viciously tipped in evil?s favor? I see our destroyer swathed in the robes of a demon, a raven god who has sold his soul. He stands above us, dealing out death to all. Who can save us now? The galaxy will fall?

I had thought my dreams to be delusions of an overloaded mind, but now the truth is made shockingly clear. I saw these images in my nightmares before I ever read them in this record. The prophecies of Shartasi Mastiff are genuine, and ? though I find it difficult to grasp ? apparently I am the future prophet that Jaga Vexani hoped for. If my dream doesn?t confirm the validity of these specific texts, then I don?t know what will.

But what does this mean for our future? If my dream is prophetic, does that mean these events are coming soon? In light of recent events, namely the eruption of a civil war between the Republic and the Separatists ? which many are dubbing the Clone Wars ? I would not be surprised if the events foretold in these texts were to come to pass.

And yet what of Anakin? Why was he in my dream? In the place of the destroyer, no less. Now that I refuse to believe. Surely he cannot be an enemy of the Jedi ? he?s one of us! It is not true?somehow the visions have become tangled in my head. Anakin may be brash and a bit arrogant at times, but so are many other Jedi. That does not make him a traitor. Besides, what harm could he do a

11. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
  12. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Announcement

Ok, I've decided to adjust the posting schedule. Instead of doing two more separate posts, the last two will be combined. So the last post for this story will be tomorrow! :)

13. Lord_Acleisst

Jan 20, 2004
    *GASPS*

Ok, now that I can breath again, and my power of speach has been restored, I shall loose it again.

Wow. I totally agree with Zane-Marit about this story. I absolutly LOVE "the prophecies of Shartasi Mastiff." They are so beuatiful! We can tell that it is talking about Anakin, but it like almost... I don't know how to say it...I told you I just lost my power of speach again. Poetic, maybe????

Anyway, I can't wait until your next post.

ONLY ONE MORE?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!

???

*DIES*

Man, I am always dying...
    I must have used up 15 lives in my last few posts on the JC.

I WILL BE WAITING...MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

14. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Lord_Acleisst - Wow. I totally agree with Zane-Marit about this story. I absolutly LOVE "the prophecies of Shartasi Mastiff." They are so beuatiful! We can tell that it is talking about Anakin, but it like almost... I don't know how to say it...I told you I just lost my power of speach again. Poetic, maybe???

-- [face_blush] Glad you are enjoying it! :)

And now folks, here it is! The final post of this story! I never intended to make this more than a simple snapshot, and it turned out to be a short story! 8-}

Thanks to all of my readers for your feedback and encouragement:

tatooinewizard
    Wilhelmina
    Jane Jinn
    CrystalKenobi
    DarthIshtar
    Mistress_Renata
    Lord_Acleisst
    Jedi_Trevor_GulDan
    Zane-Marit

It's been really fun writing this! (In fact, I think it's the first actual story that I've completed on the boards.) :D I hope you all enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it! Thank you!

*bows out as last post takes the stage*

;)

Entry Eight

??And in the time of greatest despair there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as: the Son of the Suns.? ? Journal of the Whills, 3:127

From Master Vexani?s Collection of Jedi Lore and Prophecy, Vol. 2

Book XIX

3:23-26

And so this is the end of all things. Never more shall their voices be heard. Under the malevolent gaze of their promised savior, their fire goes out of the universe, taking with it a thought and a hope that was not supposed to die.

The air in their burial chamber is still and dead, frozen in time like the lives of those who dwelled there. The temple stands in ruin, a fading relic of a more civilized age.

We beseech you, oh Son of the Suns, to return to the place of your destruction. The dead beseech you. Look upon it, and know that you are wretched. The future you have created is clouded, but I see darkness nonetheless?

Force, can this really be happening? So much all at once. I?d best start at the beginning.

For many days now, the older Padawans and their masters have been training relentlessly for battle, along with many individual Knights. Anakin and Master Kenobi returned to the temple yesterday ? they were actually at the Battle of Geonosis ? and now several of us are on a transport heading to the planet Rhen Var. The Republic has a base there, and we have been called to defend it from a Separatist attack. Apparently there are already several Jedi there. I hope we will make it on time.

The nights have not been easy for me. I continue to see the horrific visions of Jedi being killed off. Last night, before we were shipped out, I found myself leaving my quarters and heading to the archives once more. Instead of looking for Vexani?s Collection, I took a different route. The questions I had surrounding Anakin?s involvement in my dreams had been plaguing me again, and I think I went to the archives looking for more information on the Chosen One prophecy. Perhaps I thought it might prove me wrong.

I went to a section of the archives reserved for temple instructors. I remembered one of my instructors ? an old Mon Calamari Jedi who always favored me for my attentiveness ? had entrusted me with a code that would allow me to bypass normal protocol and go directly to the information I required. Last night was the first time I put the code to use.

After entering to code and logging into the system, I searched for the Chosen One prophecy that had been barely touched upon in my past history classes. The issue was a delicate one for the Jedi Order; since the discovery that Anakin was the Chosen One, the Masters were hesitant to allow students to simply read a passage that described one of their peers. It had always seemed fair. There was no need to place more pressure on Anakin than necessary. But now I feel that the thinly disguised secrecy was a mistake. I read that prophecy, and I quoted it above.

The Journal of the Whills is a strange book indeed, perhaps even stranger than the collection o

15. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
  16. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Wow, Viari, this is amazing! I only found it today, but I read the whole thing through. Initially the whole biblical parallel caught my attention - the scholar finding ancient texts and diving into them in hope of discovering new truths. I could completely identify with Zavra and his overwhelming urge to study the texts.

Then, when he started making references to Anakin I suspected he would turn out to be a prophet. I'm so glad I found that confirmed in the last chapters. What a great and original character you created, and looking at events from that particular outsider's perspective - someone who was reading about the Son of Suns prophecy - was very unique and fresh. And all the foreshadowing of Vader was intense! Very nice work.

Your ending was sad, but I'm not surprised. There really was no other way for things to go. I did love the part about Anakin closing the journal. How fitting! Great job!

17. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Thanks, Reihla! I'm glad you enojyed it! (And I'm glad to see that it evoked just the reaction I was hoping it would. ;) )

Your ending was sad, but I'm not surprised. There really was no other way for things to go. I did love the part about Anakin closing the journal. How fitting! Great job!

I thought that would be the greatest irony of all: that Zavra died just before he could reveal everything to Anakin, and that Anakin turned to the Dark Side before he could ever read the journal. Anakin made many promises that he eventually broke, and his promise to Zavra is just one more. (Albeit an important one.)

Anyway, I'm happy to see that you liked the story, as well as the ending! :)

18. Lord_Acleisst

Jan 20, 2004
    My GOD!!! The ending was WONDERFUL!!!!!!

*SNIFFLE*

It was SOO beautiful. *SOB* I can't take it anymore...*CRIES*
    I LOVED how you had Anakin put the last entry. It made it perfect. You are right, it is very ironic that Zavra died just before he could reveal everything to Anakin, and that Anakin turned to the Dark Side before he could ever read the journal.

It makes it all the better too, I think...did ANakin really have a choice when he turned to the Dark Side? Or was he destined to fall, and really any choice he made in life would have led to that end??

*SNIFFLE*

I have go get more tissues now.

19. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Many thanks, Lord_Acleisst! That was the reaction I was shooting for. ;)

I LOVED how you had Anakin put the last entry. It made it perfect.

--Glad you think so! :)

It makes it all the better too, I think...did ANakin really have a choice when he turned to the Dark Side? Or was he destined to fall, and really any choice he made in life would have led to that end??

--That's one of those things I was thinking about when I wrote this. Good food for thought. 8-}

It makes me happy to know that you enjoyed this so much! :D

20. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
  21. Jedi_Trevor_GulDan

Jedi_Trevor_GulDan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2003
    In the immortal words of Strong Bad, HOLY CRAPPIN' CRAP! This is the end? That's it?! That's all!?!?!?! Wowzers!! What a great story. I just can't think of anything to add to the praises already showered upon you.

Great work! IM me when you have another story coming. I'll look forward to it.

22. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Jedi_Trevor_GulDan - In the immortal words of Strong Bad, HOLY CRAPPIN' CRAP!

Immortal words indeed. [homestarvoice] Isn't it great?[/homestarvoice]

I just can't think of anything to add to the praises already showered upon you.

Why thank you very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.