main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Kaiburr crystal in Ep. VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darkcide, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Who's to say that TFA won't retcon that or find a way around it?

Say they as they might that they want only one level of canon, but it's more or less a given that the saga takes priority, and I think that honestly the writers/directors won't bother to skim over every single detail from Rebels and TCW to see if it matches up

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Rebels has already hinted that Kaiburr Crystals are responsible for the power of the Death Star super laser. The shock wave alone of a small batch of them being destroyed was rather deadly.

[​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I mean,seriously,did you see that thing? It was the size of a large boulder!

4. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    Seriously? They're not at the point where they need to retcon anything. The guys making the show are being monitored by the same guys monitoring the film and some of the people involved actually worked on the script. Given how minor a factor this was in Rebels (they didn't need to name the crystal after all) they could easily have left it out were it to contradict the movies. It's not as if the series is made by people completely in the dark as to where the new films are going. If kaiburr crystals were going to be the big MacGuffin in TFA then they would be the number one thing they'd watch out for in Rebels.

That's true, but it's sort of my point. The crystals are used for physical weapons, not enhancing Force powers. There's nothing technically stopping them doing both but aside from being a little lame to have the same crystals used for everything in the Star Wars universe (why should we care about some mysterious artifact when they're already powering all our lightsabers and blasters? Oh, because it's a bigger one? Whoop de doo) it'd confuse people to see them used differently in two separate contexts. It'd be like finding out lightsabers were also communication devices. A needlessly confusing fact that could be avoided easily with a little script doctoring. I really do think we can rule out kaiburr crystals as the big MacGuffin of TFA.

5. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    Kaiburr crystals seem to be good for everything, yet they are also dangerous. Sort of marijuana of mineral world.

6. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    I wouldn't call that a fair comparison. :p

7. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Every crystal has a good or bad purpose for it.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't wait for the spinoff, The Kaiburr Guy where Jim Carrey plays a Sith lord with a lisp who unnecessarily stalks Mathew Broderick.

Rookhelm and plaidphoenix like this.
  9. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    I would not mind seeing how a "sith" develops or obtains one--what kind of trials they go through to get their crystal--we have seen a variation of "K crystals" for purposes of jedi sabers, and potential for super weapons. Hmm..maybe the sith storyline its a better topic for a spin off or legends type film.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  10. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    At this point I think it would be foolish to rule out anything about K--crystals yet because there is still so much that is not known about them.

11. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    If a crystal played a role in a moment like saving someone's life or used as a weapon beam to destroy a planet then we would expect them to appear in every movie. A crystal should remain as a purpose such as a lightsaber.

12. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Couldnt agree more. I think over use would just confuse the average fan and actually diminish what we already perceive them to be.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Really good thread. Anyway kyber crystals are shown to have a kind of special connection to the Force user so perhaps one could be used to locate that specific user. TFA is supposedly a search for Luke and we know his lightsaber has some kind of role in the film so perhaps the crystal does as well.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  14. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    That's in-universe reasoning though. From a creative standpoint it'd be a mistake to invent anything that has such potential to confuse people.

15. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    What's so confusing? Small Kyber crystals power lightsabres. Much larger crystals like the one shown in the last story arc of TCW power much larger weapons.

TheBBP and darklordoftech like this.
  16. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    Some may remember a Disney movie from a generation ago called The Dark Crystal. A connection?

17. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    lol the Dark Crystal. Maybe those Skexies (don't know how to spell it) were Sith

18. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    Skeksis=Sith. Mystics=Jedi.:p

Toonimator likes this.
  19. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    These parallels are very intriguing. And as I'm sure most everyone knows, Splinter was a story idea for a low budget film sequel to ANH.

[​IMG]
    No denying this looks similar to some concept art we've seen.

darkcide and darklordoftech like this.
  20. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    The Jim Henson Company not Disney. :p

TheBBP and darkcide like this.
  21. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Man, I hope we get some legitimate info soon. I swear we are just a couple weeks away from people posting screenplays...

22. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    That's right. It wasn't Disney. But it was co-produced by Gary Kurtz of ANH & ESB!

TK327 and Jedi Older Code like this.
  23. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    That's correct. SOTME was GL's "Plan B" in case ANH was a flop.

Iron_lord and DarthSyverus like this.
  24. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    I can remember as a kid seeing this on display as a new book in a public library in '78 and figuring that was the basis for the next SW movie. But two years later we got something MUCH different!

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    Its a good pic none the less.

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.