main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Karate Kid Saga & Cobra Kai

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Nov 3, 2014.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The Chinese government almost severed all relations with Marriott (and, i can say with certainty, the mainland-China hotels were significantly affected) because they sent a survey to their high-value customers asking what country (without elaboration) they preferred to stay in and listed China, Taiwan, Tibet, Macau, and Hong Kong separately... the Chinese government really, really considers no difference there... :p

The accent thing I can understand (conceptually) but not for dissatisfaction with a film...

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I have personally used "put him in a body bag Johnny" at least a 1,000 times.

dp4m likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    That's the government. I'm talking about the actual people. I mean without googling, can you tell me the main difference between a Beijing Mandarin and Shanghai Mandarin dialect? Or how Taiwanese Mandarin is different?

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, but I'm talking about the government -- and have been the whole time, hence confused as to why the movie failed due to accents.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Because Chinese people couldn't understand the accents or got annoyed at non-native speakers pretending to be.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, but we feel the same way about each other...

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    As mentioned, the second film is great. It takes the story in the right direction and truly builds off the first film. The third film stumbles because it regresses Daniel in a really bad way, in order to create tension. This is especially glaring because of the nature of how the fight in the second film was handled. The rest of the main storyline was handled well. The fourth film doesn't add or subtract, but it tries to recreate the first film's story, but in a different manner. I haven't watched it all the way through.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @darth_gersh

Yep and I also used a lot of “Johnny, you’re a cream puff” over the years as well. I always found it horrifying and yet so true to life that someone is literally heckling at a event for teenagers.

Part II was a good sequel though nothing really memorable happens in it. There isn’t any classic scenes or lines like in the original but it is still a quality film. Part III is like Rocky V. I pretend it doesnt’ exist. Only good thing in Part III is Robyn Lively...and if I want to watch a crush from my childhood I will simply watch Teen Which which both my wife and I for completely different reasons. :)

darth_gersh likes this.
  9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    @dp4m @Ender Sai

Sod off outta my KK thread and take it to the senate. :-B

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We're the best around... nothing's gonna ever keep us down...

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I thought it was one of his teammates heckling him.

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @TiniTinyTony

Interesting. I thought it was one of the parents/fans or perhaps a fellow competitor. Perhaps it was one of Cobra Kai teammates but I seriously doubt John Reese would tolerate something like that at least in public.

13. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Karate Kid III has a pretty great soundtrack but it's otherwise a bit of a weird sequel. Interesting in how it continues the story of the first but then repetitious.

Luke02 likes this.
  14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It amuses me to know that people think of Karate Kid 2 as great. I didn't like KK2 even as a kid.

It's the movie where Chozen takes off his shirt and gives it to the girl, only to immediately pull another shirt from his pants pocket. This was after saying something about his honor being insulted. Oh and the ridiculous "live or die, man" ending.

But Daniel did break those blocks of ice. That was cool.

vin likes this.
  15. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Was Daniel breaking the ice blocks cooler than Mr. Miyagi breaking the tops off the beer bottles? I think not.

16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    KK2 sparked my attraction to Asian women.

Ender Sai, Luke02 and darth_gersh like this.
  17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Watch the first episode during my lunch as the first two episodes are free on YouTube. Was pretty good actually. Good enough I will watch the second one and perhaps get YouTube Red for a month after the school year ends and simply binge watch the remaining episodes especially since YouTube Red is free for a month in a trial.

cubman987 and vin like this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    At the Mets' game last night both Ralph Macchio and William Zabka were on the field to throw out the first pitch (Macchio threw the ball to Zabka behind the plate). I don't know about Zabka, but Macchio is a lifelong Long Islander who shows up frequently to the Islanders hockey games during the season. Hard to believe he's almost 60 now.

19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I plan on taking advantage of that free month trial when I get some time to binge watch this.

Luke02 likes this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    KK2 sparked my attraction to little handheld drums.

The2ndQuest and Luke02 like this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I wonder if the series would address Pat Morita's (Miyagi's) passing. Sorry Jackie Chan, there's only one Karate Kid sensei that I care to acknowledge.

Jedi Merkurian and Luke02 like this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Ahsoka's Tano

Zabka is from NYC so maybe. He and Ralph are btw good friends IRL and from my understanding that entire cast is still pretty tight.

And I believe I read that part of the plot with Daniel is he cannot find true balance in his life ever since Mr. Miyagi passed away even though things are going very well for him overall.

@cubman987

Yeah it seems to be a good show so far. Again I only got through the first episode but it was a very solid pilot.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Maybe Miyagi's tombstone will be inscribed with a bit a wisdom, maybe a call back to some esoteric line from KK3 like "One day you do own way."

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Luke02 likes this.
  24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @TiniTinyTony

I always quote this speech/sacred pact to Daniel about doing karate or not doing it just before his first lesson with my students and especially players I coach:

Edit: I notice over the years the kids do not get the reference as much. "Just like grape" swish doesn't mean anything to them. :(

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Juke Skywalker and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So will Hillary Swank make a guest cameo, or will the producers pretend as if it never happened (like Jurassic Park 3)?

[​IMG]