main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Karate Kid Saga & Cobra Kai

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Nov 3, 2014.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Julie Pierce changed her name to Maggie Fitzgerald and became a boxer.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I liked the first two episodes but I don't think I can bring myself to subscribing to YouTube Red even for a free trial.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They screened the original film last week alongside the first two episode of Cobra Kai. Before I repost my comments from another thread, the more i think about it, the more I think I would love to see a prequel simply titled "Miyagi". It wouldn't need to rely on too many KK throwbacks like a regular sequel would, and would have the variety of settings to cover, from Okinawa to Hawaii to CA, not to mention possible war sequences.

The Karate Kid (1984)
    - Cool getting a chance to see this on the big screen. Generally having favored the second film, I haven't seen the entirety of the first in a very long time, so I had little to no memory of several parts of the film (the NJ opening, which you think i would remember being from/in NJ myself; as well as the darker background for Miyagi with his wife dying in childbirth in a Japanese internment camp while he served the US military in WWII).

Still, a very 80's film that still holds up in a light, enjoyable way. It also features a super-80's soundtrack (you want a typical 80's motivational power song? This one's got, like, three) and a Bill Conti score (which, while overshadowed by the soundtrack for most of the film, is appropriately epic at the end, as one would expect).

In the end, though, the film is anchored by Pat Morita's performance as Mr. Miyagi. The character's archetype may have become a cliche in the wake of these movies, but he remains charming and fascinating while avoiding becoming a cliche himself.

Fun fact: besides the 3 sequels, Pat also played the character in this music video:

Coba Kai (2018), Episode 1 & 2- They oddly screened this before The Karate Kid instead of after (I mean, i guess it's intended to be a promotion for the series, but still, the viewing order obsessive in me sparked a bit), but i thought it was a good start to the series. It leans a little stronger into the comedy than the original film, but still keeps it grounded while bringing the 80's archetypes into a modern setting.

One of the more interesting aspects is that it plays into the fact that Daniel, in the first film, while the not the ******* that Johnny was, was still a passive aggressive jerk whom we mainly sympathize for because he's the one being picked on and beat up. So, here, Daniel isn't 100% the good guy (even though he leans more good than bad) which adds a nice complexity to the series balance (since Johnny, here, while still an ass, isn't the bad guy, either).

Looking forward to eventually watching the rest of the series, but I'm still not ready to sign up for YouTube Red. Though if it gets enough noteworthy content added eventually, I might do a brief subscription down the line to include Cobra Kai in.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Just watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. From the trailers it was clear that there was a comedic slant to the material (and I got half a dozen solid laughs from it), but the humor doesn't undermine the dramatic aspects. The balance is just right, delivering something that's at once fresh and familiar. This first episode is very Johnny-centric, and Zabka is very good at being likeably gruff. It sets the stage for an interesting character study. In this case; the lifelong fallout from a single event and its effects on those involved. - 8/10

5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I've seen the first 2 (free) episodes and really liked what I saw. It feels like a very authentic continuation of the story and the characters, with some nice humour added in.

6. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    They really nailed it. The tone and characters seem like legit older versions of themselves z

7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I'm 4 episodes in now, and the quality remains consistently good. It does a particularly good job of balancing the humor w/the drama, w/one not taking away from the other. Was a little surprised when they dropped an f-bomb in the 4th episode. Even though the tone is a bit more... crass? No, not exactly the right word, but my thesaurus is in the other room. Anyway, it felt out of place. It wasn't used for shock value, but it just didn't fit IMO.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don’t like The Karate Kid. I mean, I like the guy from Happy Days getting his fence perfect, but overall it’s a no.

But, pick the story up 34 years later, make it a series on YouTube, and it’s fantastic.

Here’s episode 1.

9. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm going to start watching this soon.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've watched episode 1. It's pretty decent, and unlike other reminders of the shallow limits of nostalgia (//cut to scenes from Ready Player One) this at least manages to channel the nostalgia into a decent story.

Diggy likes this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well worked in, sir.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sweep his leg, Diggy.

Diggy likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did I stutter when I wrote I don’t like The Karate Kid? So why would I even open the thread, or even notice it? The Karate Kid is a terrible, whitewash-exercise in typical Hollywood racism, and you’re a terrible person for liking it. I assume you do anyway, as you’re in here whining, like that one blonde guy whining about clearing gutters being his lot in life.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I'm going to sweep your leg and push you into a street gutter where you belong!

Luke02 and Diggy like this.
  16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Went ahead and did the free trial for Youtube Red so I could watch Cobra Kai over the past few days and I am so glad I did. It was pretty much everything I could have hoped for and more. It does go just a litte bit overboard with the nostalgia a couple times but otherwise it's highly enjoyable and is a great way to take the story further - really think the actors and writers nailed these older versions of Johnny and Daniel. It looks like we are getting a season 2 and I can't wait.

17. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Recently watched the Karate Kid trilogy and finished Cobra Kai last night. I enjoyed the first movie, the sequels were a bit sub par however, Cobra Kai was brilliant. That has to be one of the best shows recently. It was well written, I liked the nostalgic hints but it wasn't over the top and all the actors were convincing in their roles. Can't wait for season 2 :D

18. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    But what about The Next Karate Kid? Where’s the Swank love?

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Jedi Daniel

It was really refreshing to watch a show that did not have a true villain in it. People just acted like well people.

20. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Chose to ignore that film along with the reboot :)

21. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    S2 trailer is up.

As a huge fan of the films, I went into S1 a little apprehensive about what a modern approach would be, and then whispers that it had a comedic element had me fearing it would be nothing more than a parody, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well they balanced humor and drama in a way that they actually served one another. Definitely looking forward to S2.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around a movie being whitewash because Daniel isn't Japanese. So, no one who isn't Asian cannot learn karate?

JEDI-RISING and Luke02 like this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So I think I'm going to give Season 1 of Cobra Kai a shot, but before we start it, I wanted to show my wife The Karate Kid (1984) as she's only ever seen bits and pieces. I used to watched this movie on repeat as a kid. It boggles my mind that she hasn't seen it at least once accidentally. I digress.

I still love this film. I think it holds up. Questionable racist stuff aside, I love that the movie is about Daniel learning to get balance in his life.
    Unfortunately, my wife did not feel the same. She found it very corny. "It must be a take a worm for a walk week!" Her eyes rolled and I just laughed at her reaction.

As I've mentioned above, I haven't watched any Cobra Kai, but I hear it kind of flips the script where maybe Daniel is the enemy and Johnny is the hero. When we watched The Karate Kid, I kept this in the back of my mind. I can see where Daniel was in the wrong, when he should have left well enough alone, specifically at the Halloween dance, but the Cobra Kai running him off the road with their dirt bikes was pretty messed up. Ali broke up with Johnny and Johnny didn't like that, but that wasn't Daniel's fault. He was guilty by association, which doesn't make Daniel a bad person. I guess I'll know more once I watch the show.

24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I always felt like that was one of the main points of the movie @darth-sinister. That one can learn from someone's customs and culture.

The show isn't like anything you expect @TiniTinyTony. My wife and I were truly blown away by it. And I totally agree the original holds up so well but I do think too if you weren't a product of the 1980's or even alive during it, some of it can come as very corny.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I watched the ending scene of KK2 the other day for the umpteenth time. That movie is just so cheesy compared to the original. The only parts I liked were earlier in the film with Miyagi and his one-time love from Okinawa. It was just corny at the end when the son of Miyagi's former rival interrupts the moon dance just to challenge Daniel in front of everyone.

TiniTinyTony likes this.