main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Key to what was Wrong

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by BellyButton, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    To Hydronium you listen.

The number of people making insane suggestions for "improvements" on the PT in threads like this one makes me all the more happy it's George Lucas and no other who is actually making the PT. The mock-up dialogue Hydronium made a few posts back really says it all about what sort of over-dumb movies some people would like the new SW trilogy to be.

2. Sithchilde

Sithchilde Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2002
    "...makes me all the more happy it's George Lucas and no other who is actually making the PT."

And no other?

Apart from the other people who helped film it, write it and act in it, right?

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The novelizations are second tier canon. Stuff that has been contradicted by the films, aren't. Obi-wan and Owen, Vader with a blue saber, Vader never met Yoda, Pops knowing Anakin Skywalker, and Luke being Blue 5 have been dropped. Everything else in the OT books happened. Nothing in the PT books have been contradicted and are canon. 10,000 is a nice round number. Not too big and not too small. Remember what Obi-wan told Luke.

Obi-wan: "A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destory the Jedi Knights."

The Jedi Purge had began at Naboo and continued through various different conflicts, leading to the Clone Wars. Then afterwards, Vader led the final charge.

Jedi are based on the Samurai, Buddhist Monks, Marshells and the like. All of them are combined into what we know of the Jedi.

The CIS can amass an army, which is considered an act of war by Repbulic rule of law. The whole goal of the CIS is that they wanted to keep their profit margins up and the new taxation laws were crippling. What the Trade Federation did at Naboo 10 years ago, is a prime example of this. They had a Droid Army and invaded a planet, which is an aggressive act. More and more worlds are following suit and will eventually attack the Republic. Remember, this is all part of Sidious/Palpatine's master plan to take over the Republic and wipe out the Jedi.
    Another Earth analogy, Saddam Hussian was believed to be stockpiling weapons. Since he wouldn't let UN inspectors in, we went to war as he was a potential threat. Same with Viet Nam and the war in Korea. We got involved as we didn't want Communisim to spread. A potential threat needed to be quelled.

Mace's statement follows what Yoda says to Obi-wan later, that there is arrogance in the Jedi Order. This arrogance will be the downfall of the Jedi. They have become blind to this. Dooku tells Obi-wan. We know that Qui-gon was a maverick. Then we first hear that Dooku is an idealist, who left the Jedi Order. Then Dooku and Obi-wan confrim that Dooku taught Qui-gon. Thus, if one (Qui-gon) has maverick tendencies, then so should Dooku, the teacher.

No one knows who's trying to kill Padme. She has a suspect, but the Council needs proof of a connection to the CIS leader/spokesperson. They spared two Jedi to watch her that night. After a second attempt, the goal now is to send Obi-wan to investigate the assassination attempts and to determine who is behind them. Be it Dooku or someone else. Since the Jedi have been charged with protecting Padme, Anakin must continue in that regard. They cannot afford not having them handling the Seperatists, but this is just as serious.

Mace: "One Jedi is worth 100 Geonosian warriors."

This cut line by Mace, and found in the novelization, indicates that the Jedi are again overconfident. They have no idea that they are walking into a carefully laid trap. The whole thing was a setup, designed by the Sith to kill any Jedi contingent that comes there. Mace doesn't think that the Jedi cannot deal with the Geonosians, but acknowledge that help is needed. Since pulling Jedi takes time, Mace and Yoda agree that 200 Jedi and if need be, the Clone Army, can deal with the CIS on Geonosis. Once the Battle Of Geonosis is going, Mace realizes that they are heavily outnumbered and overwhelmed. They didn't think that the CIS had a very large army.

In TPM, Naboo was one world. One minor skirmish. By AOTC, the situation is worsening and the Jedi are sent to deal with it. The Senate is divided again. Half think the Jedi are sufficent. Half think that an army is needed, since the Jedi aren't enough. It isn't until Jar Jar calls for a vote of Emergency Powers to Palpatine, that the Senate fully agrees. Palpatine is then allowed to do whatever is best for the Republic.

Padme is convinced that Dooku is behind this, as the CIS is made up of the many coreperations in the Republic. One of them would be the Trade Federation. We learn that Nute wants Padme dead, during the conference mee

4. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

First off, I liked AOTC. I liked TPM. I have liked ALL the SW movies - to differing degrees, admittedly, but I have liked them ALL. Just want to clear that up, at the start! Often, I feel, criticism of elements of the movies is seen as condmenation of them. Not my intent at all.

To the extent that I had issues with TPM, and now AOTC, I think some of the earliest posters nailed the underlying cause of a lot of it... Anakin's age, and the timeline in the movies. I simply did not "buy" the interest nine year old Anakin took in Padme, nor did I "buy" the notion that a fourteen year old girl (let alone a planetary QUEEN for goodness sake!) would take any but an "Aw, ain't he cute and sad!" interest in a nine year old boy. There is a HUGE gulf between, say, a nine year old boy and a fourteen year old boy - making Anakin older would have changed the entire chemistry. I think it also would have greatly helped the scenes where Anakin takes the fighter into space and "accidentally" destroys the Control ship (Oops indeed!)... that could have been replaced with a much more credible sequence in which a young teen hotshot intentionall outflies (thanks to Force enhanced abilities!) the other pilots and takes down the control ship ON PURPOSE.

Similary, it seemed INCREDIBLY strange that we were to believe that nine year old Anakin, after having spent perhaps a week with the fourteen year old Padme, and then having NO CONTACT with her for a decade (!), would be carrying a torch for her!

I suspect that if there had been some tinkering with Anakin's age in TPM (older, please!) and perhaps then some tinkering with the time between TPM and AOTC (along with some revision of the "romance" between Anakin and Padme), there would have been a more credible feel to the flow of the story.

My two cents...*S*... and again, please... I ENJOYED AOTC and TPM! ;)

Shadow

5. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Sithchilde ---

Duh... [face_plain]

6. Mit-Fisto

Mit-Fisto Jedi Master star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    Its just another powerfully dissapointed
    fan. The writting was a little bad on the Original Trillogy, but the last two movies have been the most embarassing mess of "Soap Opera Quality" writting and delevery. Mabe Kelly Rucker can be in the next one!

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't know how it's not credible that Anakin wouldn't be smitten with her. The minute he saw her, he was captivated by her beauty. Anakin clung to the mental image of that time, for ten years. Since he wasn't supposed to allow himself to fall in love with another woman, he kept thinking of the one girl that had ever caught his attention, with her beauty.

Padme wasn't in love with him in TPM. Like you said SHADOW, she just saw him as a cute kid and nothing more. It isn't until she sees him, that the physical attraction begins. The love comes from the time they spent together.

As to the control ship, it was the will of the Force, that guided him. Nothing happens by chance. In Star Wars, nothing is accidental.

8. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    "Some people wanted him to be a bad kid, pulling the wings off flies, like that would explain everything. Then where does the story go?"

George Lucas, Star Wars Magazine July/August 2002

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.