main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Kiss That Made No Sense

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by I_Am_Not_A_Committee, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_Am_Not_A_Committee

I_Am_Not_A_Committee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2003
    Ok, after watching TESB the other day, I realized that Leia was a tease.

After she has spent the better part of the movie traveling around with Han, falling in love with him and actually confessing her love to him before the carbon freeze, she actually has the audacity to kiss Luke on the Falcon after she rescues him from the weathervane. It's after Lando brings him down below, and Luke is lying down, hooked up to medical equipment.

What exactly was Leia thinking when she kissed Luke??

***side note***
    I'm of those who hated the fact that Luke and Leia ended up brother & sister, and that Leia fell in love with Han. She and Luke had so much more chemistry together as a couple, and I was really upset when GL ended the love triangle permanently the way he did. Of course, all due respect to the man and his story! ;)

2. Yuuzhan_Vong_Warrior

Yuuzhan_Vong_Warrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    She probably kissed him because she was so happy to see that he was alive. I think that when Luke contacted her through the Force, she was starting to sense their connection as brother and sister.

3. I_Am_Not_A_Committee

Jun 27, 2003
    But the kiss was on the lips. That's a strange way to kiss your brother. Or, she's just a tease!

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    She was glad for him to be alive, and they still didn't know they were related yet.

5. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    HEY!!! Leia was just giving her brother a kiss according to the rules and norms of her culture! [face_mischief]

Doesn't Luke say something that is muted in this scene? After Leia gives him the second 'sister brother' smooch of the movie in the little ER compartment of the Falcon, I think he sez somethin that is muted as she is walking out of the room. I will not put forth what I think he said until someone else confirms or unconfirms. I wonder though, when the movie was in the theaters, was what he said muted? Dangerous and disturbing these family dynamics are...

6. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    She's just trying to make him feel better, he did get his freakin hand cut off

7. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Think of it this way. There is a good looking guy (from leia's point of view) who maybe the only person to stop the empire and she wants him. Is it wrong to kiss him? No. It wasnt wrong in 1980 and until in 1983 it was the same. Then ROTJ comes along and changes the feeling. Just think of it as sweet irony.

8. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think she was just trying to make him feel better.

9. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    It seemed to me that it wasn't a romantic or sexual kiss - as someone already pointed out: he had just escaped a duel with Vader in which he found out his worst fears concerning his Father and had his hand cut off. It seems kind of unrealistic for her to give him a handshake doesn't it? 8-}

10. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    she was just releived that he was ok, is there anything wrong with that?

11. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Like Bjork said, to me the kiss wasn't a sexual thing, it was more like a friedly kiss, like the kiss your dad or mom would give in times of comfort after something bad happens. Just because they kiss you doesn't mean that they want to get in your pants.

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    She probably kissed him because she was so happy to see that he was alive. I think that when Luke contacted her through the Force, she was starting to sense their connection as brother and sister.

Nail. Head.

13. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Are we talking about the kiss when Luke wakes up from the bacta? If so didn't Leia kiss him because she was trying to make a point with Han that he didn't know as much about women as he thought?

14. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    No, they're talking about the kiss that Leia gives Luke when Luke's in the Falcon's medical compartment, after his duel with Darth Vader.

15. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    It is possible to kiss a woman on the lips and for it not to mean you desire full sex, surely?

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    he did not kiss her, she kissed him

two different situations

did luke every kiss leia? don't think so, she always kissed him first

17. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    The kiss happened to continue the possible love triangle in Rotj. Lucus had no clue in ESB that he would make Leia Luke's twin until he started writing the film. ;)

18. E_Layne

E_Layne Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2003
    A kiss always made sense

19. Darth_Angel17

Darth_Angel17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2003
    It was a kiss given in comfort and compassion. Like its been said, they didn't know they were related yet.

And its not like it was a deep kiss...it was just a tender, gentle showing of affection and kindness, nothing more.

20. I_Am_Not_A_Committee

Jun 27, 2003
    You all make good points, but let me just say that I don't think Leia would have kissed Luke if Han had been standing right there! ;)

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    i agree with you there

22. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    She was kissing his boo-boo, well she couldn't kiss his hand cuz it was missing....and she just kinda bussed him on the side of his mouth. At that point, he probably was in so much pain he barely knew she was there....

23. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Ahem.

[i]We didn't need to spend too much time on the love story. When Han tried to kiss her, that was enough. [b]In the Star Wars series a kiss is the equivalent of a sex scene.[/b] Han is always after her, he's always looking at her and she is always looking back at him, and you have this right from the beginning. Basically, that's all you need. Larry Kasdan did a great job with the love scene. We rehearsed it and we made changes, but the scene was always there.[/i]

--Irvan Kershner[hr][/blockquote]

Obviously the two kisses weren't in the same league, but then you think back to the beginning of ESB...

24. Golightly

Golightly Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2003
    I don't think it was on the lips.

25. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    In the end of my post I made reference to the fact that I was referring to the one at the beginning of the movie. I mentioned it since we're pretty much all in agreeance (sp?) of the meaning of the one at the end. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.