main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Kitchen Menace (Obi-Wan, one-shot)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Magier, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    Title: The Kitchen Menace
    Author: Magier
    Characters: Obi-Wan
    Disclaimer: The usual disclaimers apply.

Summary: This was a characterization exercise written for another site. The prompt was to show a character preparing food. The purpose of the exercise was a snap-shot that didn't necessarily need a beginning, middle, and end. Oh, and it had to be under 500 words.
    ~~~

The knife cut rhythmically into the pile of crushed gayl?k root, grinding it even finer. He worked slowly, not with Qui-Gon?s blinding speed or finesse. Obi-Wan preferred to keep all his fingers intact.

?Stir every ten minutes,? he mumbled, reading the instructions displayed in front of him.

?Blast!?

It had been at least fifteen. He remembered all too vividly what happened if the gel-like sauce was allowed to boil too long. It formed a congealed mess on the bottom of the pan.

N?orian glass noodles was one of Qui-Gon?s favorite dishes. It was actually the very first dish the Jedi master had made for Obi-Wan, in this very kitchen. Obi-Wan had attempted to make it several times, but never succeeded on his own. As Qui-Gon had put it ? it was a finicky dish.

Obi-Wan lifted the lid on the sauce pan, wincing as wisps of steam slid past his wrist. The sauce was bubbling, near frothing, but thankfully not thick. He stirred, finally beginning to think he might be able to pull it off this time. Then, he could declare to Bant that he was no longer a menace in the kitchen.

The pot with the noodles chose that moment to sputter and foam over onto the heating element. Thick curls of smoke rose, dancing dangerously close to the smoke detector. He would never hear the end of it if he sounded an alarm ? again.

He called a towel to his hand with the Force and began to fan the smoke, shutting the heating element off with his other hand. The noodles were probably done. It had been twelve minutes, and the directions had said ten to fifteen.

The sauce ? he remembered, and rushed to stir again, knocking a spoon to the floor with a loud clang.

?Are you okay in there?? came a voice from the other room.

?Fine. Everything is under control,? he called back. ?It will only be another five, maybe ten minutes.? He hoped.

He drained the noodles and poured them onto two plates. Raising the lid to the sauce, he grimaced slightly. Thick, but at least it wasn?t a sticky mess. He poured it over the noodles. Now to wait five minutes before serving ? that?s what the directions said to do.

Come to think of it, he didn?t remember Qui-Gon ever waiting that long, or even using the kitchen timer, for that matter. Qui-Gon had always seemed to approach the culinary arts with the same disregard for rules as he did the rest of life. Maybe that?s why he had always been the better cook.

Obi-Wan sprinkled the minced gayl?k root over the two dishes and stepped back to admire his handiwork. He cast a worried glance toward the other room, hoping the meal would pass muster. He wasn?t sure if could handle being compared to the infallible Shmi Skywalker yet again.

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, you got me with that ending! [face_laugh]

I like Qui's way of cooking - like mine, do it on instinct and it will turn out okay.

3. Beta-Commando

Beta-Commando Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2007
    Ooh, I like it! Humorous and well-written! I hope to see more Fan Fics form you!

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005

Obi-Wan sprinkled the minced gayl?k root over the two dishes and stepped back to admire his handiwork. He cast a worried glance toward the other room, hoping the meal would pass muster. He wasn?t sure if could handle being compared to the infallible Shmi Skywalker yet again.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Hehehe, Obi-Wan in the kitchen... makes me laugh. :D

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Bless Obi's heart for trying to prepare Qui-Gon's favorite dish.

Very cute!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    ah, the infallible shmi skywalker....

that was an unexpected and very sweet little twist!

7. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    =D= Nice drabble! That last line is too much. ;)
    One has to pity Obi-Wan, reading this. Well written.

8. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Very cute. And typical Obi. :)

9. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    poor Obi always getting tagged as the bad cook! Good Job Noi!

10. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    nice short story! Obi-Wan cooking, funny last line too.

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was adorable. I loved that Obi-Wan was trying to make something for Qui without much success. I know I always read the directions and it never tastes half as good as my husband's less-careful cooking.

Good job.

12. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    Valairy_Scot - That is actually my way of cooking as well. People ask me for recipes, and I just sort of stare blankly at them. I figured that would be the way Qui-Gon cooked.

Beta-Commando - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really love writing humor.

Idrelle_Miocovani - I don't know why. I've just always had this feeling that Obi-Wan was a lousy cook and had to try very hard to come up with anything edible.

Kelia - I've been there before - trying to get someone's favorite dish just right. At least it's the thought that counts.

ratna - Can you just imagine how many times Anakin had to mention, "Mom does it this way?" Poor Obi-Wan.

padawan_learner86 - I really liked the last line. It just seemed to fit.

obi-ew - Thanks. It was nice to write typical Obi. ;)

obsessedwithSW - Yes, poor guy. I just have to think he isn't the greatest cook.

XCell - Thanks so much for reading.

dianethx - I've always imagined Qui as a very good cook and very comfortable in the kitchen. I can imagine Obi-Wan standing there, trying to figure out what's going on while Qui breaks all the "rules".

13. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Cute story, loved Obi-Wan cooking >.< Poor Ani though LOL

14. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    Qui-Gon had always seemed to approach the culinary arts with the same disregard for rules as he did the rest of life.

[face_laugh] Very sweet.

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Aww, that was really cute. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.