main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub *The Knights of Darkness* The Official Sith, Dark Side & Knights of Ren Fan Club Version 3.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Lady_Belligerent , Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005

Those RL experiences sow their roots deep...

I remember two movies with my father particularly ... Blues Brothers and Jaws... obviously non-SW movies but... IMPRESSIONS!!!!

Who doesn't love Ewoks!!!!! I have the combo DVD Ewok movie pack... Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  2. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005
    Have been thinking of the following:

If anyone is familiar with the Thrawn Trilogy, you may have knowledge of the Nogri [​IMG]
    A race subjugated and subservient to Darth Vader.

During Rogue One we see a window into Vader's world. Something we have not seen before and see him within a healing tank guarded by....

Imperial Guard. The famous RED Imperial Guards.

Being that I grew up with the OT... the image of the Red Guard walking down the shuttle ramp in the Death Star hanger scene was iconic. The stark contradiction of the black, white, and grey of the Empire.... these bright RED guards.

Them always flanking the Emperor in scenes.

I always thought of them as only the Emperors elite guard...

So we see in Rogue One two Imperial Guards flanking and possibly guarding Vader. No doubt the scene was iconic and deep as well.

But...

Does this diminish the Red guards and their relationship with Palpatine? Weren't they the Emperor's personal guard? What are they doing in Vader'sciradel/castle?

Are they there to guard Vader or watch him? Protect the Emperor's investment, or make sure he stays on his leash?

Or is it just a luxury afforded to the Sith Lords of the Empire and time... nothing more....

Thoughts?

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I think they're there to both protect the Emperor's investment and keep an eye on Vader at the same time.

dragonsith13 and QueenSabe7 like this.
  4. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    No, not at all. They are Sidious' personal guard but as PCCViking said, they would've been with Vader as both protection and to act as his eyes when he isn't around. I mean
    the only time we see them in RO is when Vader is at his most vulnerable, completely out of his suit.
    Seems appropriate they be there in that moment.

dragonsith13 likes this.
  5. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I wouldn't be surprised if they have an order similar to Order 66 to deal with Vader in the event of a betrayal, or perceived betrayal.

Too bad we've never really seen the Royal Guards in action.

dragonsith13 likes this.
  6. E. L.Knight

E. L.Knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2012
    I think what Disney is doing with the Royal Guards is trying to show that Vader is regarded as one of the highest ranked people in the Empire. In the Original Trilogy, Vader was, at best, seen as second fiddle to Tarkin, not the Emperor. So Rogue One shows him in a more powerful position. The tank scene then shows him vulnerable, if he is number 2, then the Royal Guards are number 3 in Palpatines security and direct influence of power.

7. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I know. Only get to read about them in action in Lords of the Sith.... if I am remembering correctly?

dragonsith13 likes this.
  8. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I think so. I'll have to read it again to be sure. They tried to have some action in ROTS, but Yoda made quick work of them.

9. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I think they are there to protect the highest of the highest echelons of the Empire. So them protecting Vader and not being exclusives to the Emperor works simply because the Emperor and Vader belong to a whole different, higher category within the Empire. The Royal Guard´s loyalty is beyond question, so them guarding Vader in such a vulnerable moment certainly made sense to me.

10. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005

True it does make sense on many levels. I was approaching it from the standpoint of seeing the Red Royal Guards for the first time as a young-ling in ROTJ watching them descend the shuttle ramp. In stark contrast to the black hanger of the Death Star, along with the white Storm Troopers, and Grey Imperial uniforms. At the time of me seeing it we only had the OT, so the feeling was who are these RED guys? [face_hypnotized]

Gamiel, Ithorians and DarthIshyZ like this.
  11. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Absolutely!! I´m too from the OT era, lol, I remember being very little seeing ROTJ and to this day, the Royal Guards are beyond amazing!! besides the design itself, they have this aura of mystery that adds a lot to their credit. Did you read the Lords of the Sith novel? there are some unmasked, talking Royal Guards there... it´s a pretty good reading, even if I prefer the silent, faceless ones rather than exploring their individual characters...

dragonsith13 and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Did you pick up the Legends comics Crimson Empire, Ithorians? You'd love them methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragonsith13 and Ithorians like this.
  13. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Ohhh absolutely!!! I somewhat get the feeling that Carnor Jax was the opportunity to take the design of the Royal Guards to the next level, making him a little like "the new Vader" of that series. I get the feeling that this armored evil thing was pretty big in that era of old canon; because Vader had such a magnetism to him, the new antagonist had pretty big shoes to fill. Flint, Blackhole, Lumiya and Carnor Jax, among others I might be missing, all had a little of his dark traits into their designs...

Sinrebirth and DarthIshyZ like this.
  14. dragonsith13

Apr 3, 2005

I have not, but my son has the book... I may have to borrow it ;). I hear they are featured in it.

Ithorians likes this.
  15. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    They are! and to my surprise, if I may spoil a little here, one of them was a clone :eek:.

And well, since I like this thread and don´t want it to get lost into the back pages of the forum just yet, haha, I was wondering if people who likes the Rebels Inquisitors like also their Legends counterparts... I asked this in the Inquisitors thread but I don´t think there was too much knowledge about the old ones (Jerec, Tremayne, Torbin, etc) there, so maybe here I get lucky here... just trying to pick a fresh topic!

16. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Ithorians likes this.
  17. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Please see new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.