main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub *The Knights of Darkness* The Official Sith, Dark Side & Knights of Ren Fan Club Version 3.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Lady_Belligerent , Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Andeon got me. I suppose the best question is why the "Golden Age" ended after only one ruler. Why didn't Ragnos choose a successor? Why did he allow his legacy to die with him?

2. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    A new topic of discussion will be coming shortly!

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  3. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Alrighty gang, I've been tasked with introducing a new topic to the thread and here it is:

A great Sith is both cunning and physically powerful, but usually one of the 2 traits ends up being dominant over the other. So, who would you pick as the most physically powerful Sith? Who would you consider to be the most intellectually powerful Sith? And if you had a choice for the perfect embodiment of both traits, whom would that be? And of course, why? [face_thinking]

4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Nice Topic QueenSabe7

Cunning is way more important than physical power I would say. Palpantine and Plagueis focused on it and where succesfull. Of course there is a use for strenght but not for a leader. Imagine Darth Maul or even Vader at the emperors place. They where usefull agents but not more I think. Maybe Vader had the potential to become more than that but he lost most of it in his transformation. But I could see him especially before the duel on mustafar as the physicall strongest sith, when you take his massive force powers into account. The most intelectual was Plagueis I think, he was more intelligent than most other Sith. Of course there are a fewSith who combined both aspects. Revan for example and Malak to a lesser degree, they both where intelligent capable leaders and superior fighters. Also Palpatine, who wasn´t weak either, although he focused more on cunning than brute force.

5. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Thanks Anedon

Excellent points and examples! I have a lot of love for Maul, but the idea of him in the role of Emperor is quite comical to me. o_O:p

DarthIshyZ and Halle Dray like this.
  6. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    It is a good question. One I think a lot of people need to think about. What is strength?

BTW, no one ever accused me of thinking positively about Darth Maul. I'm not even going to approach that question.

I think, for me, physical strength is good for the body guards and such. For the head guy, there needs to be mental strength. It takes forward-looking ideals. I could see Vader in the Emperor's chair. When it came down to it, he did have some ideas for a viable government. He tends to kill people too much, but that can be managed.

Palpatine had a lot of guile. I don't know that I'd equate that with strength. Guile can get you into a position of power, but it burns bridges while doing it. You tend to become a target once you're up at the top.

7. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    I think if it's a choice between the most capable in a confrontation vs. the most capable at "chess match" style plotting, it's hard to argue against Palpatine as being both given what we've seen him do in the films. His slaughter of Mace Windu's team was poorly represented on film and looked thoroughly unimpressive, but if you hold to the prequels as a bastardized re-imagining and not a depiction of actual events, the outcomes are hard to argue with. He fought four elite Jedi Masters simultaneously and killed three handily while holding his own against the fourth, only losing when he chose to do so as a way of manipulating Anakin. Then he fought Yoda to a virtual stalemate (arguably though, he won).

So as much as I would like to list Darth Bane, or Revan, Palpatine's resume seems to indicate that he's the most capable fighter. As for his intelligence and cunning, I think that needs little explanation.

I suppose Valkorion could be the answer to both of these questions but my headcanon doesn't really acknowledge his existence so my answer has to be the original and one true Emperor of Star Wars canon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Halle Dray

Jan 6, 2016
    I would have to say that Palpatine was the greatest Sith regarding his intellectual outlook. I'm torn on the most powerful physically though. I see @Darth_wanderguard's point that Palpatine is both intellectually and physically powerful so I would say that he rules both categories.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    An interesting question, maybe for another time. I note one of our fold signs his posts "The dark side empower you." Is it required that we choose sides? OB1 said "May *the Force* be with you." Does that mean he embraced the full Force, incluping the dark side?

Sent via Tapatalk this was.

Halle Dray likes this.
  10. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Why for another time?
    QueenSabe7 provided us with this weeks question so we can discuss it. I would say it's your question we should put behind. No offense but you should talk to Halle Dray if you want to bring in a new topic.

11. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    That's exactly why I said "for another time." I don't want to interrupt the current discussion, but wanted to get that out there before I forgot again.

12. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Okay I misuderstood that.
    For me it sounded like you wanted to start a new discussion.

You should send your topic to Halle Dray she takes care of this usually :)

13. Halle Dray

Jan 6, 2016
    DarthIshyZ Thanks for your great question! I think that it just may have been read a bit differently than you meant it to be. Would you like it to be the main discussion for next week? If so, that'd be great!!

EDIT: Perhaps we could work on some Jedi getting involved with that discussion? Sinrebirth

14. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I totally agree. Jedi should be involved in all these discussions. :) Philosophy of the Force!

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  15. Halle Dray

Jan 6, 2016
    Well, it is a Dark Side thread so they usually have their own discussions.
    LOL, a new college course should be Philosophy of the Force.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  16. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    Bane.. Are we forgetting how he manipulated the BoD to use the thought-bomb they had built to effectively wipe them and the Jedi out as they battled, meanwhile Bane sits back not lifting a finger, taking out the entire BoD and the Army of Light, all the while ushering in a whole new Sith Order with the Rule of Two?

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I absently wonder how that will turn out in the new canon. Bane is still the founder of the Rule of Two at least, but I suspect a certain sandy planet will take the place of Ruusan thanks to Aftermath 2... Thoughts, Darth_wanderguard, anyone else who has read Aftermath 2?

18. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Finished it late last night, actually. It would seem plausible.

I think the passing reference to the Eremite is more significant than just a throwaway "let's use a meaningless word that sounds cool" moment. There's clearly something going on there to do with the ancient Sith, or some kind of dark side presence, and I wonder if the Eremite isn't somehow connected. I don't really buy that Gallius Rax/The Operator is Snoke, though.

darklordoftech and DarthIshyZ like this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Me neither. I wonder if Snoke is buried on Jakku, actually. Locked away by Bane?

20. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    But the latter was long dead by then. (Don't recall right now how to do spoilers, so therefore the cryptic language.)

21. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    A new week, a new discussion. As always, I'd welcome any Jedi, light siders or gray siders comment on this, too.

Two questions:
    - Do we have to choose a side to be considered Sith?
    - And if someone wishes you "May the Force be with you," does that mean they are embracing the full Force, including the dark side?

Halle Dray likes this.
  22. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    For the Jedi I would say no, since their dogma seems to be that the dark side is an aberration in the force. Hence why their idea of bringing "balance" is to destroy the Sith.

Halle Dray and DarthIshyZ like this.
  23. E. L.Knight

E. L.Knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2012
    I think it is less about choosing a side, but more about how YOU choose to act. I like to think of the Force as an allegory for choosing, within yourself to be good or bad. The Sith, are bad, The Jedi are good. You can only choose what actions you take, and that colors how the Force interacts with you and how you use it.

I've always been a proponent of the fact the Force is absolutely neutral, and it is only the users of the Force that color it in one way or another. So the idea of Lightside and Darkside are more a cop out for Force users to explain whats going on.

Am I making myself clear enough? Or am I just making this super confusing?

24. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well I think there is nothing a Sith has to do.
    Every Sith can go his or her own way, they don´t have to be a part of the order, they don´t have to take a Sith name. They might not even be forced to use the energy of the darkside. My charcater Octavius for example prefers to stay concentrated insteadn of relying on his anger.On the other hand Jedi like Jaina or Tahiri have used force lighting against the Vong while being on the good side.

So when someone says: May the force be with you, it means as much as whishing you good luck, what you do with the luck is your choice, basically. The force is an instument, you can use a sword to protect an innocent or to kill him. You can use fire to shiled yourself and other from the cold but also to brun down a village. The force isn´t good or evil. It´s the persons who use it to decide.

E. L.Knight and DarthIshyZ like this.
  25. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I think there's an important differentiation to be made between "dark" and "evil."

Notice that when Yoda describes the dark side, he lists fear, anger, and aggression as the dark side of the force. He stresses how addictive and controlling they are. And with good reason - anger is a drug to the human brain. It's addictive.

Powers like force lightning rely on the presence of anger and aggression. They fly in the face of Jedi ideals like calmness and serenity. But does this make them evil?

No.

There is a light side of the force, and a dark side of the force, defined very clearly by what emotions are being used to channel it.

What's not as defined is whether each is necessarily good or bad.

If I get angry and use force lightning to kill someone who wants to hurt an innocent child or animal, I have tapped into the dark side of the force to do good. And if I calmly and serenely force push an innocent, wheelchair bound elderly man off of a cliff, I have channeled the light side of the force to do bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.