main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Knights of Ren in Episode 9

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 13, 2017.

?

Do you believe we will see the Knights of Ren in the movies beyond the flashback from TFA?

1. They will play a large roll in IX

2. They will be seen in IX but only briefly, and possibly in another flashback

3. They will not be seen, but will be mentioned in IX

4. We have heard the last of the Knights of Ren. Not even a mention in IX.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Oooooh yes we do!

2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Their are other eras better suited for that. I like to think with the Sith extinct, red lightsabers lose the level of usage they once had.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  3. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Luke said "A handful of my students" were taken by Kylo. This HAS to be the KoR or otherwise explained in 9. Maybe, if those taken students are not the KoR, they were younger students, like 5 and 6 years old, young enough to be duped by Kylo into following him onto a ship to escape. Then Snoke killed them as soon as Kylo brought them to him.

Maybe JJ can retcon that Snoke imprisoned these Luke students at a young age...now they are like 20 and still locked up, but Rey or the Resistance frees them somehow. Boom, Jedi Order reborn...

I prefer them being the KoR though. And they've grown up but only have a rudimentary understanding of the Force, but are still fierce warriors not unlike the Praetorian Guard, and don't use sabers.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  4. Joruuuuuus C'baoth

Joruuuuuus C'baoth Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2018
    I agree. But they can't have aged much since then because Ben Solo's slaughtering Luke's students happened sometime after the events of Bloodline, which was about 6 years before TFA.

But yeah, I think that line was definitely intended to suggest that those were the Knights of Ren. Or that they all joined a larger group. I mean, ostensibly, there could be more KoR than we see in Rey's vision in TFA.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    That was my feelings as well, that those handful of students that Kylo took became the KOR. I'm guessing that they are about the same age as Kylo is, maybe a bit younger. But in their mid 20's early 30's probably. It makes sense.

6. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    They didn't have sabers in TFA, though.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    I just hope if they are in the movie they are substantial and powerful. The shot of them in the rain storm flashback/future was just too cool to waste on anything less.

LukeLives likes this.
  8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I do not expect them to have a bigger story arc. I expect them to have a "I am here to be killed ASAP" cameo

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    The Regular Mustache likes this.
  9. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Red shirts you mean? For once I hope that doesn't happen. But you are more than likely correct.

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm fine with red shirt Knights of Ren, or super powerful Knights of Ren. I just want to see them. They look cool.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If the Knights of Ren are Luke’s former students and they end up being portrayed as no name red shirts with zero characterization I might actually wish that they not be Luke’s former students in the first place.

To turn Luke’s former students into a bunch of possibily mute generic dudes would be a missed opportunity.

Giving us a rich story about who these people were, how they came to train with Luke, and how and why they betrayed Luke could be a whole movie unto itself. To not explore that would be a shame.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  12. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

May 3, 2018
    I agree and I don't know that they will be able to do it with limited screen time but I at least want them to be a part of it. I would like a movie just about that betrayal and such too.

13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I agree. Time constraints alone will zap any chance of the audience really getting to know the KoR. At best if they're Luke's students than maybe their backstory will be briefly mentioned if and when we get more backstory about Ben Solo's turn to the dark side.

14. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Not to mention the added fact that Luke not only poorly trained Ben Solo but also other students as well. At this stage this is probably where it is going anyways...poor Luke. :(

15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. If you told me that the new Star Wars movies were going to include a plot point about how a bunch of Luke's students turned to the dark side I'd think that story would be a huge part of the movie if not the main plot. Instead it seems like that idea might be completely swept under the rug. That's just bizarre to me.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  16. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

May 3, 2018
    Not only bizarre but also the subject matter of a film that could be really, really, popular! They missed that one wide right so far

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Let the KoR out, JJ. Let them roam free.

18. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    Personally I just hope that the KOR are just a bunch of no-named henchmen/guards. Having them be Luke's former students just really doesnt sit well with me. To me that means that Luke just gave up on them too. TPTB really think that would be a good thing?

19. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Knowing that the KoR are former Luke students, imo if they appear they would almost by necessity have to play a significant role. They're force sensitive students of Luke. If they just cameo or are shown as one-dimensional followers of Kylo, it's really just a waste of the idea. I assumed they weren't force sensitive after TFA. Had I known their background, I would have assumed they'd be shown in TLJ because that isn't a simple story and people are naturally going to be curious about them. If they appear as uniform cult-like followers of Kylo and participate in battles with no speaking roles, that will already be a negative on this film.

20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    It certainly does create a lot of issues doesn't it? It's already a little hard to swallow that he didn't see how fast his own nephew was slipping to the dark side. On top of that Luke was seemingly completely obvious to six of his students turning to the dark side? It's worth mentioning that it was six students out of a class of TWELVE! Ha! If Luke had set up a fully functioning academy with hundreds of students I could understand losing track of some of them, but six out of twelve!?!? How does the teacher not notice that half his class are Darth Vader's in training? I'd love an explanation for how that came about but I have very little hope we'll get one.

I've thought it might be more interesting if we learned that the six students that left with Kylo Ren didn't leave on their own free will and that maybe we'll learn that they're all still alive and being held captive.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  21. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    I doubt they are held captive based on the vision sequence in Ep7. I agree about the situation with Luke - to me LFL and Disney are ok with Luke's character being portrayed as unwise and pathetic really. I'd go into another rant about this but its been done to death. It is what it is. Luke may have done a heel turn and died doing a good deed...but to me it was too little too late anyways for his character. Having the KOR being his students...and yes...6 out of 12 is pretty hilarious if thats true...just tells me how bad of a Jedi and teacher he was.

So when people say people cant let go of their headcannon dont really realize why peaple hate Ep8. This isnt about headcannon, its about treating the OT heroes with a bit of respect and dignity. Trashing them in this manner was a horrific experience for me in these past 2 movies.

KSennia likes this.
  22. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yeah, the bolded is what I've been thinking. The KoR could somehow be part of a sort of redemption for Luke as a teacher and his legacy if they tell the story right. As of right now, Luke doesn't even have a legacy of anyone carrying on his teachings (Rey was not taught Jedi ways by him). If they provide some explanation for the KoR, perhaps they were deceived and/or manipulated, perhaps one or more were actually sort of spying for Luke, who was suspicious of this group, perhaps they weren't present for the Jedi massacre and Kylo did it all by himself and then they thought Luke was dead and they went with Kylo out of self-preservation instincts, etc.

23. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I think Broom Boy and his buddies are supposed to let us know that there's a whole new group of people in the galaxy that think Luke is the bees knees and that they'll be carrying on Luke's legacy even if they weren't trained by him. Plus he'll probably come back and impart some wisdom to Rey that she'll use to save the day which I suppose will have to count as Rey carrying on Luke's legacy.

I've also wondered if the students that left with Kylo were plants who were working with Snoke from the beginning. The problem with that though is that Luke not sensing that half his student body are dark side spies is just as bad as not sensing them falling to the dark side.

Maybe half the students were away from the temple when Kylo killed the other half and then when they away team returns Kylo tells him that Luke went crazy and killed the student and tried to kill him too? I don't know...now that I type that out it sounds just as bogus as what's been suggested by the movies.

Rodie and AhsokaSolo like this.
  24. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    To me, almost anything sounds less ridiculous than half of Luke’s students turning to the dark side under his nose.

With the spy thing, I meant that maybe Luke was suspicious of Kylo and his group of bullies, so he asked a loyal follower to put on a show and infiltrate their ranks. Although, I like the spy idea for Snoke as well. I’m still open to getting interesting villains out of this. Perhaps one or two were sent by Snoke and it was the presence of that person that manipulated Kylo and the other students. At least it would provide a reason that Luke missed it beyond just “Luke is a big fat failure of a teacher that was so atrocious he forced half his students to fall to the dark side.”

Broom Boi to me cannot be representative of Luke’s legacy in any legit way. His legacy needs to come from something he actually did, not just by the fact that he inspired a stranger based on a lie anyway. I’m still holding out hope that something substantive taught by Luke will be carried forward.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  25. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    Dont hold your breath.

My hope is that they leave well enough alone. I know MH gotta eat but Luke's arc is finished and leave it be. Introducing somethig new and fantastical now will just make it some much more bizzare in relation to what we saw in Ep8. While I personally would love to see Luke actually "teach" something to Rey - that opportuntity was in Ep8.

The new characters now have to deal with things on their own. Its the last movie of the trilogy. There is now no time for new learnings and twists and turns as there is already so much to be covered.

I am not a fan of the character of Rey - but she already knows what to do and can take care of Kylo Ren anyways. So, should be easy enough of a conclusion for the new characters to get rid of the FO.

The only question will be who will they dance with at the end of the trilogy? Porgs? Or will Finn convince all the stormstroopers to defect and they all dance together?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    AhsokaSolo likes this.